Wheat Belly- Book

Options

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Actually there was an article in the news the other day positing a connection between the two - perhaps that is what jay8anks was referring to?
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Actually there was an article in the news the other day positing a connection between the two - perhaps that is what jay8anks was referring to?

Type II diabetes is a risk factor in developing Alzheimers but it is not a type of diabetes. thats what I am saying. I am saying they are two separate medical conditions. Just like being overweight is a risk factor in developing Type II diabetes does not mean Overweight is a type of diabetes.
  • jay8anks
    jay8anks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    > What about all of the fit, healthy people on this site who are successful at losing and maintaining weight on the "SAD" diet?

Exception to every rule. I will say that exercise gives you some leeway with diet and health. That people are eating SAD in America and are "healthy" is debatable.

Read Dan Buettner's Blue Zones. Blue Zones are areas with an abnormally high number of people over age 100. Very few of them eat like Americans, though some do eat some corn and wheat (in smaller amounts).

It is not just genetics, either. Research shows that if they moved to areas with poor diets, then they start getting the same diseases as the area they moved into.

Also, look very carefully at people who used diet to heal themselves of disease.

Example: Dr. Terry Wahls's. She was in a wheelchair from MS. She used a Paleo-like diet and now runs. You can read about it in her book, The Wahl's Protocol.

If the SAD diet is so healthy, why does nobody cure themselves from disease...by *** going on it *** ?
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many people who are bashing the book have ever really used themselves as a human experiment to see how wheat (or other types of food) affects them. I myself cut out wheat and dairy and my performance in the gym went through the roof! My increased endurance and performance could not be denied. Come to think of it, my caloric intake actually DECREASED too. I wonder how that flies in the face of science.

People can cherry-pick things apart whether they are for something or against something and then they throw the world "science" into it. Newsflash...science is never 100% fact or concrete. How many times has science been wrong? Just because some study says this or that doesn't mean it's true. Real world application trumps any theory or study that isn't based on the real world.

Oh well. Those who love their wheat but can't seem to shake the last 5-10 pounds and blame it on eating an extra 100 calories or something else can continue to eat it. I'll be kicking *kitten* in the gym, getting leaner, and outperforming my previous PRs like I'm on the juice without wheat (and dairy).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    jay8anks wrote: »
    > What about all of the fit, healthy people on this site who are successful at losing and maintaining weight on the "SAD" diet?

Exception to every rule. I will say that exercise gives you some leeway with diet and health. That people are eating SAD in America and are "healthy" is debatable.

Read Dan Buettner's Blue Zones. Blue Zones are areas with an abnormally high number of people over age 100. Very few of them eat like Americans, though some do eat some corn and wheat (in smaller amounts).

It is not just genetics, either. Research shows that if they moved to areas with poor diets, then they start getting the same diseases as the area they moved into.

Also, look very carefully at people who used diet to heal themselves of disease.

Example: Dr. Terry Wahls's. She was in a wheelchair from MS. She used a Paleo-like diet and now runs. You can read about it in her book, The Wahl's Protocol.

If the SAD diet is so healthy, why does nobody cure themselves from disease...by *** going on it *** ?

So a bunch of snowflakes exist on MFP? WHO KNEW!

tumblr_mefuoovcqw1ra58n6.gif
  • s_pekz
    Options

If the SAD diet is so healthy, why does nobody cure themselves from disease...by *** going on it *** ?[/quote]

Because diet in itself will not cure most diseases. It may help with some but definitly not most and not oftne not cure. Most diseases require help from that fancy thing called #science
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @s_pekz - There is a theory that the underlying cause of AD stems from the brain losing the ability to metabolize glucose properly. Thus the term "Diabetes Type III" I don't know if it is real science, but there may be some truth behind it. Check out this article:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many people who are bashing the book have ever really used themselves as a human experiment to see how wheat (or other types of food) affects them. I myself cut out wheat and dairy and my performance in the gym went through the roof! My increased endurance and performance could not be denied. Come to think of it, my caloric intake actually DECREASED too. I wonder how that flies in the face of science.

People can cherry-pick things apart whether they are for something or against something and then they throw the world "science" into it. Newsflash...science is never 100% fact or concrete. How many times has science been wrong? Just because some study says this or that doesn't mean it's true. Real world application trumps any theory or study that isn't based on the real world.

Oh well. Those who love their wheat but can't seem to shake the last 5-10 pounds and blame it on eating an extra 100 calories or something else can continue to eat it. I'll be kicking *kitten* in the gym, getting leaner, and outperforming my previous PRs like I'm on the juice without wheat (and dairy).

I'm glad it's working out for you, but it proves nothing. You have counterparts in every camp. There will always be people having success on some specific regimen, but without a controlled large scale experiment, there's no way of telling if your success or anyone else's success was due to the particular diet change they think is responsible, or if it's something else. I'm not saying you're wrong, only that isolated cases like yours prove nothing.

As for "science," I agree. It gets overused on this forum, sometimes by people who have carefully studied issues, and other times by people who don't have a clue. It's the latter group that uses the word to try to trump disagreements.

• s_pekz
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    @s_pekz - There is a theory that the underlying cause of AD stems from the brain losing the ability to metabolize glucose properly. Thus the term "Diabetes Type III" I don't know if it is real science, but there may be some truth behind it. Check out this article:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

hmm thats a new one for me. INteresting study. My sister is writing her thesis on DA and its genetic components. Ill pass this along and see what she says.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »

Type II diabetes is a risk factor in developing Alzheimers but it is not a type of diabetes. thats what I am saying. I am saying they are two separate medical conditions. Just like being overweight is a risk factor in developing Type II diabetes does not mean Overweight is a type of diabetes.

This is what I was referring to - not sure about jay8anks......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769828/

Alzheimer's Disease Is Type 3 Diabetes–Evidence Reviewed

• TrailRunnermn
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    I'm glad it's working out for you, but it proves nothing. You have counterparts in every camp. There will always be people having success on some specific regimen, but without a controlled large scale experiment, there's no way of telling if your success or anyone else's success was due to the particular diet change they think is responsible, or if it's something else. I'm not saying you're wrong, only that isolated cases like yours prove nothing.

As for "science," I agree. It gets overused on this forum, sometimes by people who have carefully studied issues, and other times by people who don't have a clue. It's the latter group that uses the word to try to trump disagreements.

This...

http://areyouthemovement.com/anecdotal-experience-empirical-evidence/
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

If your calorie intake decreases, you lose weight. Because science.
  • TrailRunnermn
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Newsflash...science is never 100% fact or concrete. How many times has science been wrong? Just because some study says this or that doesn't mean it's true. Real world application trumps any theory or study that isn't based on the real world.

Interesting. Do tell me what part of the laws of thermodynamics aren't true. After that, please explain where the process of cellular respiration falls down. After you've done that, please explain why you think wheat is exempt from this process.

This...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolism/thermodynamics-and-weight-loss/

Have fun ;)
  • TrailRunnermn
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    If your calorie intake decreases, you lose weight. Because science.

Cute...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolism/thermodynamics-and-weight-loss/

Enjoy!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, no such thing as nonCeliac gluten sensitivity. The one small study fell apart when it was expanded to a larger population nd the author reversed is earlier findings. Science at work....
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I am on it, and I'm in the process of reversing my insulin resistance, thanks.

The most irritating thing about all the claims in this thread are people unwilling to concede that their success isn't another persons success or that their way is not the only way.

I'm happy for people that cut sugar and see success, or cut wheat and see success, but those success stories do NOT mean other methods (like simply cutting back on the amount of food you eat) aren't going to produce results as well. Or that by cutting sugar, or wheat or dairy that you're somehow superior or more informed than someone who would rather do a moderation approach. You're not.

ETA: usually cutting out entire food groups means a significant decrease in calories, so CICO is what's actually causing the success, not the miracle of no cheese.
  • TrailRunnermn
    Options

Wow. That guy has a chip on his shoulder. I feel bad for him.
  • TrailRunnermn
    Options

Here...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolic-advantage/anthony-colpo-a-man-obsessed/

I doubt you even read anything Dr Mike wrote. I bet you couldn't wait to disprove it. C'mon. Admit it ;)
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    ETA: usually cutting out entire food groups means a significant decrease in calories, so CICO is what's actually causing the success, not the miracle of no cheese.

I just cut the cheese. No weight loss, but p.u.