Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
  • Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've gone from drinking full fat coke to diet coke and I've lost 6lbs in just over a month, although I did find myself not being able to finish a can of full fat coke but I've drunk 3 cans of diet coke today, so I think it's more addictive than the regular coke. Most things we enjoy are not going to be good for us if the media has anything to do with it, however life is short if I have to worry about drinking a can or two of diet coke then so be it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    And, @goosebeartalk has not been back to respond, but I wish she would. I'm especially interested in delving into her peer reviewed studies. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I've gone from drinking full fat coke to diet coke and I've lost 6lbs in just over a month, although I did find myself not being able to finish a can of full fat coke but I've drunk 3 cans of diet coke today, so I think it's more addictive than the regular coke. Most things we enjoy are not going to be good for us if the media has anything to do with it, however life is short if I have to worry about drinking a can or two of diet coke then so be it.

1. Coke doesn't have fat in it. It has sugar.

2. You can drink 3 cans of something that has zero calories vs. less of something that has a few hundred calories and that makes it ADDICTIVE. Umm....yeah....no.

@shell1005 I believe full fat soda is a UK term for non diet version. I remember running into that term a few years ago and thought the same thing.
  • West55
    West55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "full fat" is certainly the way I (in the UK) always refer to non diet, even when asking for it in a café or pub.

It's a joke, right?
    Or maybe this thread doesn't seem that humorous to some people!
  • Littleowl101
    Options

1. Coke doesn't have fat in it. It has sugar.

2. You can drink 3 cans of something that has zero calories vs. less of something that has a few hundred calories and that makes it ADDICTIVE. Umm....yeah....no.

1. Yeah saying full fat is a UK term, this site isn't just for Americans after all, alot of things people say on here, I don't understand but I don't jump straight into correcting them and trying to make them look stupid because that's just abit rude but I won't dwell on it.
    2. I am giving my opinion on the original post, my opinion is that since I started drinking diet coke, I find I drink more of it then REGULAR coke and I THINK it is more addictive. I am not stating a fact here, i am stating my opinion. So do not tell me my opinion is wrong just because you don't agree with it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Addiction isn't an opinion or a feeling, but I won't dwell on that in this thread. Enjoy your day.

This I agree with.
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Addiction isn't an opinion or a feeling, but I won't dwell on that in this thread. Enjoy your day.

This I agree with.

But what does this have to do with what addiction is? I said it is more addictive and to me it is, in the sense that I always want more of it because of the caffeine in it. You looked into my post way to much, Maybe I should have said that I feel like im developing a physical dependence but to say something is addictive in the UK is normal.. Some people say they find a certain TV series addictive, some people might say they find exercise addictive, it's a commonly used word over here. Again this site isn't just for Americans, just because you don't understand something ( in this case my whole comment) doesn't mean it is wrong. Maybe think before you post something next time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This I agree with.

But what does this have to do with what addiction is? I said it is more addictive and to me it is, in the sense that I always want more of it because of the caffeine in it. You looked into my post way to much, Maybe I should have said that I feel like im developing a physical dependence but to say something is addictive in the UK is normal.. Some people say they find a certain TV series addictive, some people might say they find exercise addictive, it's a commonly used word over here. Again this site isn't just for Americans, just because you don't understand something ( in this case my whole comment) doesn't mean it is wrong. Maybe think before you post something next time.

Caffeine does have that effect, but you're claiming that diet soda is "more addictive" than regular soda. If you're taking about a physical dependency, you'll have to explain why the same substance would be more addictive in one product than in another product.

And if you meant it in the slang sense of "I'm addicted to [x]" (which, by the way, isn't a UK thing, it's used in the US too -- so your outrage over cultural assumptions is completely misguided), then why bring up the physical dependency?

You can't have it both ways. You can't argue that you meant addiction to caffeine (which is in both diet and regular soda) and that you only meant it in the slang sense.
  • Littleowl101
    edited August 2015
    Options

This I agree with.

Caffeine does have that effect, but you're claiming that diet soda is "more addictive" than regular soda. If you're taking about a physical dependency, you'll have to explain why the same substance would be more addictive in one product than in another product.

And if you meant it in the slang sense of "I'm addicted to [x]" (which, by the way, isn't a UK thing, it's used in the US too -- so your outrage over cultural assumptions is completely misguided), then why bring up the physical dependency?

You can't have it both ways. You can't argue that you meant addiction to caffeine (which is in both diet and regular soda) and that you only meant it in the slang sense.

This is getting stupid now, it's completely taking over the original post. Fine your all correct and I'm just an idiot. If saying something is addictive is commonly used as a slang word in the U.S. Too then why did I have to try and defend my post over the definition of addiction.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This I agree with.

This is getting stupid now, it's completely taking over the original post. Fine your all correct and I'm just an idiot. If saying something is addictive is commonly used as a slang word in the U.S. Too then why did I have to try and defend my post over the definition of addiction.

I think the reason that you received the response that you did is because you claimed that you found diet soda to be "more addictive" than regular soda -- that is, you appeared to be making a claim about physical dependency, not using it in a non-literal way. Given the context in which you made the comment, it wouldn't make much sense for you to be using it as if you were talking about a TV show.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

This I agree with.

People on this site claim a lot of foods/substances are TRULY addicting all the time. Not like, OMG I'm so addicted to these brownies, they're so good! But they say sugar is as addicting as heroin, carbs are addicting, and ridiculous stuff like that. So when people read someone say diet soda is addicting, they read it in a literal sense.
  • Littleowl101
    Options

This I agree with.

People on this site claim a lot of foods/substances are TRULY addicting all the time. Not like, OMG I'm so addicted to these brownies, they're so good! But they say sugar is as addicting as heroin, carbs are addicting, and ridiculous stuff like that. So when people read someone say diet soda is addicting, they read it in a literal sense.

Oh ok, well it wasn't meant in a literal sense, I guess I just assume that everyone will understand what I mean, because it's a forum and the topic was diet drinks not a thread on drugs/alcohol.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

This I agree with.

Oh ok, well it wasn't meant in a literal sense, I guess I just assume that everyone will understand what I mean, because it's a forum and the topic was diet drinks not a thread on drugs/alcohol.

Ha, you would think people would understand, but these forums have threads daily about sugar being as addictive as heroin which has made it impossible for the sane people to figure out if it is a serious comment or not.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

This I agree with.

There are plenty of people around here that will tell you soda (diet or regular) is in the same category as drugs and alcohol. lol