Mean people on MFP

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I think if someone really was a troll or consistently insulting people enough that they were breaking rules they wouldn't be here anymore.

Yup, we actually get some pretty memorable trolls here on occasion, but everyone learns who they are pretty quickly. Most of the rest is just name calling and snarking between people who just don't like each other.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think if someone really was a troll or consistently insulting people enough that they were breaking rules they wouldn't be here anymore.

The new boards opened the floodgates. Previously banned posters are not currently banned. (I like it, it keeps the boards interesting. Anyone really nasty will get re-banned.)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »

The new boards opened the floodgates. Previously banned posters are not currently banned. (I like it, it keeps the boards interesting. Anyone really nasty will get re-banned.)

Some of those previously banned users got banned for having a low tolerance for stupid.... which I can sympathize with.

A person on my FL months back got her third strike for telling someone that if they were so concerned about eating ingredients they couldn't pronounce then maybe they should take a chemistry or latin class and learn to pronounce them, because eating them wasn't hurting them any (I'm seriously paraphrasing here but you get the idea).

Was it blunt... yes

Was it true... yes

Should she have gotten the ban hammer for it? Not my call obviously.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Some of those previously banned users got banned for having a low tolerance for stupid.... which I can sympathize with.

A person on my FL months back got her third strike for telling someone that if they were so concerned about eating ingredients they couldn't pronounce then maybe they should take a chemistry or latin class and learn to pronounce them, because eating them wasn't hurting them any (I'm seriously paraphrasing here but you get the idea).

Was it blunt... yes

Was it true... yes

that is how I got banned…being too blunt…

I said something about special snowflakes (not directed at anyone in particular) and boom, strike three….

that sucks your friend got a strike for that ….

• Maitria
    Options

Was it blunt... yes

Was it true... yes

Well, that's what I meant when I said I'm glad they're back. Some people that were banned deserved it, and I'm guessing some may have not been as deserving. (I have someone on my FL who was banned, and while she disagreed with a lot of others, I never saw her post anything harmful, just unpopular.)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    What's always amusing to me is what does and does not get strikes or now flags. In the previous system I had a warning and no strikes and the warning was for posting a thread that I thought was hysterical but I knew when I posted it I would get dinged for it, I did it anyways, because it was funny. But I never got in trouble for my responses to other users in the forums.

With the new system I have ONE flag, and that was from a user (probably somebody in this thread) and they did it as a joke because I was being silly complaining about the fact that I didn't have any flags and everyone else did....

Now, I'm usually pretty blunt. I've gotten in to plenty of arguments with people on here when I disagree with what they have to say and have no problem taking someone to task if I think the advise they are giving someone is bad or wrong. I could have easily made the same comment my friend did but probably wouldn't have even gotten a warning for it....

It's just funny how different people's perception of what constitutes mean can be. I think I'm fairly blunt and often snarky, but clearly something about the way I present my opinions doesn't ruffle feathers quite as much as some other people. Maybe I should try harder..... >:)
  • Maitria
    Options
    I love that we can see the flags now, for the entertainment value. I may have flag-baited my flag. o:)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What's always amusing to me is what does and does not get strikes or now flags. In the previous system I had a warning and no strikes and the warning was for posting a thread that I thought was hysterical but I knew when I posted it I would get dinged for it, I did it anyways, because it was funny. But I never got in trouble for my responses to other users in the forums.

With the new system I have ONE flag, and that was from a user (probably somebody in this thread) and they did it as a joke because I was being silly complaining about the fact that I didn't have any flags and everyone else did....

Now, I'm usually pretty blunt. I've gotten in to plenty of arguments with people on here when I disagree with what they have to say and have no problem taking someone to task if I think the advise they are giving someone is bad or wrong. I could have easily made the same comment my friend did but probably wouldn't have even gotten a warning for it....

It's just funny how different people's perception of what constitutes mean can be. I think I'm fairly blunt and often snarky, but clearly something about the way I present my opinions doesn't ruffle feathers quite as much as some other people. Maybe I should try harder..... >:)

if you get three flags do you get banned? i am clueless as to the new rules...
  • Maitria
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

No, right now it's still based on the old rules, mods have to agree with the complaint to issue a warning or strike. It looked like warnings and strikes are now the same thing though.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No, right now it's still based on the old rules, mods have to agree with the complaint to issue a warning or strike. It looked like warnings and strikes are now the same thing though.

so a flag is neither a warning or a strike?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    Interesting that two posters who have been consistently mean to me have posted on this thread!

I just really want to know why you're impersonating a professor by stealing his photo to use as your profile. I think others wonder the same.

OP - You can report them to the moderators, but that's about it. Don't engage, report, ignore and move on. On internet forums, you're always going to find people who offend you and people who are genuine douches, and you can't control how they act, only how you react.
  • Maitria
    Options

Nope, just an alert to the mods that you pissed someone off.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    People do that. I just laugh at them and if its good enough I copy it to my status so all my MFP friends can laugh with me.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Nope, just an alert to the mods that you pissed someone off.

Yup, and moderators have ALSO stated that they will be keeping an eye on people who are using the flagging system as a way of "getting back" at people they don't like. So people who get flag happy are, at the very least, likely going to get ignored by the mods for crying wolf one too many times.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    People do that. I just laugh at them and if its good enough I copy it to my status so all my MFP friends can laugh with me.

You copy the pm?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You copy the pm?

Yup, I've seen a few people on my FL copy PM's they've gotten from irate users to their walls to laugh. Also pervy PM's
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    its funny, you know how you can see your flags right, i have one abuse flag, and no idea what it is for. cant imagine what it could even be for... but there is no apparent way to know. so how helpful is that if someone cant see what is the offending behavior and thus change it.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My 2¢ If they just did it on the forum and were mean, suck it up, block them and move on.
    Now, if they went out of their way to be douchey in a private message, that's another thing. That is OBVIOUSLY being mean/rude and I would report them and block them and maybe even copy the message into the forum post.

I see a lot of "mean people threads", and often it's that text is taken out of context to how the person who "said" it, meant it to come across. A lot of people think I'm sweet but a lot of people think I'm mean. Text sucks that way. :\
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How do you see your flags? I'm tempted to flag myself just to see what it does...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Perhaps why it was done in a PM....