Mean people on MFP

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My 2¢ If they just did it on the forum and were mean, suck it up, block them and move on.
    Now, if they went out of their way to be douchey in a private message, that's another thing. That is OBVIOUSLY being mean/rude and I would report them and block them and maybe even copy the message into the forum post.

I see a lot of "mean people threads", and often it's that text is taken out of context to how the person who "said" it, meant it to come across. A lot of people think I'm sweet but a lot of people think I'm mean. Text sucks that way. :\

Copying the message into a forum post is against the rules and will (ironically) get you into more trouble than the person who sent the message. Friend's feed is one thing, but I wouldn't advise posting it on the forum.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My 2¢ If they just did it on the forum and were mean, suck it up, block them and move on.
    Now, if they went out of their way to be douchey in a private message, that's another thing. That is OBVIOUSLY being mean/rude and I would report them and block them and maybe even copy the message into the forum post.

I see a lot of "mean people threads", and often it's that text is taken out of context to how the person who "said" it, meant it to come across. A lot of people think I'm sweet but a lot of people think I'm mean. Text sucks that way. :\

Except pasting PMs into the forums is actually against the guidelines. It'd just be better to block the person and move on.

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    How do you see your flags? I'm tempted to flag myself just to see what it does...
    The only way I know is to look at your posts, the flags show up. I was pretty sure I'd get mine for posting about flags on a page where someone was obviously flag-happy, so I was looking out for it. You can go to your profile to see how many you have.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's just the internet. Cripes. Read, shrug, delete, move on.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I think if someone really was a troll or consistently insulting people enough that they were breaking rules they wouldn't be here anymore.
    Perhaps why it was done in a PM....

Ah. Can they still report the pm though?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think if someone really was a troll or consistently insulting people enough that they were breaking rules they wouldn't be here anymore.

They can copy it into a PM to a Mod, yes.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

They can copy it into a PM to a Mod, yes.

Thank you. I was wondering how that worked

• 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    <
    NICE ;)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options

This.

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If they're not willing to say it on the thread then they should not say it. I think that person might have just wanted to be an @ss and took it out on you. Sorry about that - there are a lot of jerks out there.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

+1
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

+1

Dear OP,
    BiBEs6eIMAAuKz8.jpg:medium
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People on here aren't mean. But, a few people are pretty lame.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I mostly meant the nonsense trolling.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Block them, ignore them, or just do not respond to them. I am here to support you when you fall down; I'll encourage you to stay in the fight, and I sure as heck won't shoot down your approach. Although a lot is understood on metabolism and such, there is still so much to learn from many approaches out there. If an approach fails to achieve the desired results, we can at least know what it actually does achieve. I wish you the best of success. If it doesn't work, try something else, but never ever stop ...
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Maitria wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    What's always amusing to me is what does and does not get strikes or now flags. In the previous system I had a warning and no strikes and the warning was for posting a thread that I thought was hysterical but I knew when I posted it I would get dinged for it, I did it anyways, because it was funny. But I never got in trouble for my responses to other users in the forums.

With the new system I have ONE flag, and that was from a user (probably somebody in this thread) and they did it as a joke because I was being silly complaining about the fact that I didn't have any flags and everyone else did....

Now, I'm usually pretty blunt. I've gotten in to plenty of arguments with people on here when I disagree with what they have to say and have no problem taking someone to task if I think the advise they are giving someone is bad or wrong. I could have easily made the same comment my friend did but probably wouldn't have even gotten a warning for it....

It's just funny how different people's perception of what constitutes mean can be. I think I'm fairly blunt and often snarky, but clearly something about the way I present my opinions doesn't ruffle feathers quite as much as some other people. Maybe I should try harder..... >:)

if you get three flags do you get banned? i am clueless as to the new rules...

No, right now it's still based on the old rules, mods have to agree with the complaint to issue a warning or strike. It looked like warnings and strikes are now the same thing though.

so a flag is neither a warning or a strike?

Nope, just an alert to the mods that you pissed someone off.

My mere presence just does that to some. *snickers*

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't know you, and I don't know what thread you posted on, or who messaged you. I'm one who's known for being extremely supportive- but at the same time, there are times I'm downright blunt. There are people who think I'm mean, queen *kitten*, and my mere existence just pisses them off. BUT, I don't hide. Whatever I've got to say, I say it right out in the open. Anyone who's going to hide in PM and send you hate mail, isn't worth your time. Delete, ignore, move on. Not worth your time. Trust me, it's nothing I'd be losing any sleep over.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    OP, I don't know you, and I don't know what thread you posted on, or who messaged you. I'm one who's known for being extremely supportive- but at the same time, there are times I'm downright blunt. There are people who think I'm mean, queen *kitten*, and my mere existence just pisses them off. BUT, I don't hide. Whatever I've got to say, I say it right out in the open. Anyone who's going to hide in PM and send you hate mail, isn't worth your time. Delete, ignore, move on. Not worth your time. Trust me, it's nothing I'd be losing any sleep over.

Wow. I can't believe you got flagged for the above. I hope people are aware that the mods are going to be taking into account those that flag posts just to flag the person.

• JenVeggie25
    Options
    I wish you could meet some of my MFP friends then... they are some of the nicest people online I've ever met online :smiley: You can add me and my friends at any time. We are here to motivate... not hate!