Mean people on MFP

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I wish you could meet some of my MFP friends then... they are some of the nicest people online I've ever met online :smiley: You can add me and my friends at any time. We are here to motivate... not hate!

I have awesome friends too... Though I'm pretty sure there are those who would disagree, and that's fine.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    So we're flagging comments but if you're flagging just to be a stalking troll then there's also moderators watching out for that whiz. I don't see how this can go wrong. Also, where do I sign up.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    People suck. I'm sorry that happened, OP. =(
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    OP, I don't know you, and I don't know what thread you posted on, or who messaged you. I'm one who's known for being extremely supportive- but at the same time, there are times I'm downright blunt. There are people who think I'm mean, queen *kitten*, and my mere existence just pisses them off. BUT, I don't hide. Whatever I've got to say, I say it right out in the open. Anyone who's going to hide in PM and send you hate mail, isn't worth your time. Delete, ignore, move on. Not worth your time. Trust me, it's nothing I'd be losing any sleep over.

Wow. I can't believe you got flagged for the above. I hope people are aware that the mods are going to be taking into account those that flag posts just to flag the person.

I've got someone who absolutely hates my guts, and would probably flag something I posted if it said, "way to go" or "great job!" Seriously. What's even sadder, never even "met" or spoken to the person in a thread before. Have no clue who they are, but they absolutely abhor me. Haters gonna hate.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    hansolo420 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I posted in a forum on this site yesterday with some questions regarding eating habits. I received a private message from a very mean person saying very mean things that are not meant for a support site, or ever really. Is there anything I can do (besides blocking the user) so they cant do this to anyone else? This is supposed to be a supportive community. I am very disappointed.

You can report their PM to a mod. Rachel, Olivia, Ninerbuff, Psulemon, Darkon, Gemma. There are more but I don't recall right now.

Sorry someone felt the need to be that mean to you for whatever reason. People seem to think they own this site just because they spend all day everyday on here. It's lame.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't know you, and I don't know what thread you posted on, or who messaged you. I'm one who's known for being extremely supportive- but at the same time, there are times I'm downright blunt. There are people who think I'm mean, queen *kitten*, and my mere existence just pisses them off. BUT, I don't hide. Whatever I've got to say, I say it right out in the open. Anyone who's going to hide in PM and send you hate mail, isn't worth your time. Delete, ignore, move on. Not worth your time. Trust me, it's nothing I'd be losing any sleep over.

Wow. I can't believe you got flagged for the above. I hope people are aware that the mods are going to be taking into account those that flag posts just to flag the person.

I've got someone who absolutely hates my guts, and would probably flag something I posted if it said, "way to go" or "great job!" Seriously. What's even sadder, never even "met" or spoken to the person in a thread before. Have no clue who they are, but they absolutely abhor me. Haters gonna hate.

Wow! That is so ridiculous! Well, I see you around, and I like you. So silly for people to flag people like that.

• Miss_1999
    Options
    I wish you could meet some of my MFP friends then... they are some of the nicest people online I've ever met online :smiley: You can add me and my friends at any time. We are here to motivate... not hate!

I have awesome friends too... Though I'm pretty sure there are those who would disagree, and that's fine.

*vouches for the awesomeness of your friends and you being a friend and stuffs* :D

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    I love that we can see the flags now, for the entertainment value. I may have flag-baited my flag. o:)

Wait what? What are the flags for? I thought those were just added for cuteness like a rallying cry for weight loss. Also thoughts points were a positive thing.

So sorry to be asking for a PM in a thread where a PM went sour, but if anyone feels so inclined as to PM me a "New MFP Rules for Dummies" PM i'd really appreciate it. Not enough to do anything tangible or worthwhile about it, but I'd be appreciative nonetheless.

Denzel_explain-like-im-a-15-year-old_the-couch-manager.jpg

...with 3 boyfriends, in finals week, who is texting, and on the rag.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

*vouches for the awesomeness of your friends and you being a friend and stuffs* :D

tumblr_m8n5iyjEla1rbdh0qo2_500.gif
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's good to establish a record of telling them explicitly NOT to contact you again, and then report them.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So, the flag is for reporting. What if someone clicks flag by accident, can they unflag it? I guess I could test it on one of my own posts. If we want our own post deleted, do we flag it? Does that work? I'm going to flag this post of mine maybe, and see what happens. Oops, I almost flagged the person above me, sorry.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    So, the flag is for reporting. What if someone clicks flag by accident, can they unflag it? I guess I could test it on one of my own posts. If we want our own post deleted, do we flag it? Does that work? I'm going to flag this post of mine maybe, and see what happens.

If you want your own post deleted you report it and choose that option
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So, the flag is for reporting. What if someone clicks flag by accident, can they unflag it? I guess I could test it on one of my own posts. If we want our own post deleted, do we flag it? Does that work?

There is an option to request your post to be deleted under the report option (under the flag).

And the flag gives you options - spam, report or abuse. The only number that ends up showing up is if you flag it as spam. I really don't understand people flagging posts as spam as they aren't. It's kind of like they are hoping to bait people or something.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    So, the flag is for reporting. What if someone clicks flag by accident, can they unflag it? I guess I could test it on one of my own posts. If we want our own post deleted, do we flag it? Does that work? I'm going to flag this post of mine maybe, and see what happens.

If you want your own post deleted you report it and choose that option

Ok, I see. I just reported myself, just to test it.

• BinaryPulsar
    Options
    So, the flag is for reporting. What if someone clicks flag by accident, can they unflag it? I guess I could test it on one of my own posts. If we want our own post deleted, do we flag it? Does that work?

There is an option to request your post to be deleted under the report option (under the flag).

And the flag gives you options - spam, report or abuse. The only number that ends up showing up is if you flag it as spam. I really don't understand people flagging posts as spam as they aren't. It's kind of like they are hoping to bait people or something.

Oh, ok, I just saw that. Thanks!!
  • PrizePopple
    Options

You see it when it's flagged as abuse too, both of Miss_1999's posts are marked as abuse. I've got 10 abuse and 1 spam flags against me (the spam one was done as a joke in another thread).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

You see it when it's flagged as abuse too, both of Miss_1999's posts are marked as abuse. I've got 10 abuse and 1 spam flags against me (the spam one was done as a joke in another thread).

Does it notify you, when you get flagged?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Ohhh! I stand corrected. I hadn't tested the abuse one yet (I just figured it was like the report button but with more options). That's kind of crap in itself and wouldn't it be the same thing as reporting users for whatever reason? Why have a second button to show something that, in a way, breaks MFP's own rule (inciting drama within the community).

*shrugs*

At least they've gotten the quote thing figured out so you can see who said what, I guess :laugh:
  • Miss_1999
    Options

Wow! That is so ridiculous! Well, I see you around, and I like you. So silly for people to flag people like that.

Thanks, I like you, too! Bless them, them don't have anything better to do. I think they're waiting to see what I'll do next, maybe hoping I'll do a trick or something? You know what, I think, wait for it-- wait for it, I'm breaking out... The SOCK PUPPETS! (in honor of my best friend, Shan!)

06be00b6f3d3f1469313bd0ab952fdd1.jpg

f5c69feb340268c650e8a8b4a27f2da8.jpg

• tdotson38
    Options
    I have learned in life that when you see a pile of *kitten* don't step in it, simply walk around it and keep moving.