Gaining muscle

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    Of course I'm interested in this topic. I am a heavy set girl. I was recommended to lift weights so that I can keep my muscles as I go through the process of trying to lose fat. I've been following the Strong Lifts 5x5 program since September 29.
    I eat, I probably eat too much. I have noticed that my body seems to be more tone. I've lost an inch in my tummy area, which is good news. - My weight over the past few weeks hasn't changed much.

I am currently 245 lbs, and the scale says I have 52 % fat, and between 31 and 30 % muscle - depending what day I'm weighing on (weighlifting, vs. non- weightlifting day).

My stregnth is improving - over the past month, my squats are now up to 90lbs... and, yesterday, I deadlift 105 lbs... but, saying this, and knowing that I'm not 'building' muscle is very hard to reason... how does one become stronger, and lift heavier while keeping the same muscle mass?

And yes, my diary is always open - anyone who wants to look, go ahead. (I didn't post well on saturday - there's a huge Sushi/sashimi dinner that wasnt logged in - but otherwise, it's accurate).

-Rose

Neuroadaptation (sp?)

Basically your training is maintaining muscle mass and your body is becoming more efficient at performing the exercise/lifting the weight.

• ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My stregnth is improving - over the past month, my squats are now up to 90lbs... and, yesterday, I deadlift 105 lbs... but, saying this, and knowing that I'm not 'building' muscle is very hard to reason... how does one become stronger, and lift heavier while keeping the same muscle mass?

(..snip..)
    -Rose
    Go find the strongest looking dude you can find. 6% bodyfat, completely shredded. Say he weighs 165 pounds. Put him up against a powerlifter at the same height, weight, and body fat percentage. The powerlifter is going to nail an 800 pound squat, while random strong guy on the streets will maybe squat 250. Same amount of muscle, though. Muscle size and muscle efficiency are not necessarily related.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Even if the OP manages to gain a few lbs of muscle in the beginning, over the course of her weight loss journey, she will probably lose that same said amount. It's virtually impossible to maintain all of your muscle or even lean body mass while your body is in a catabolic state. This is increasingly true the more lean you become. Simple, a body requires more muscle to manage 280 lbs than it will to manage 140 lbs.

OP, check out the new rules of lifting for women. It's supposed to be extremely good. It will discuss nutrient and provide several routines that are progressive in nature.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    ok, so I'm becoming efficient. :) Maybe by New Year's I will efficiently squat 200 lbs with my 30 % muscles...
  • RGv2
    Options
    ok, so I'm becoming efficient. :) Maybe by New Year's I will efficiently squat 200 lbs with my 30 % muscles...

Possible, IDK what you're at now but I'd assume 200 as a reasonable goal. Keep in mind that within a deficit, strength gains will eventually ceiling.

• NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    yes, but I don't think I'm eating at a deficit. Most days, I average over 2000 calories.

I eat reduced carb *under 150* - with high fat/protein.
  • NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    L
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    NoelleED wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

Genetic make up will determine the amount of lbm you can naturally carry. You won't find your natural limits to be far of from other woman.

Haha you don't know many Nordic women, do you?
    What's your squat?

Most nords I know are tall but willowy.
  • NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [
  • NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Listen, everyone - I mention my ethnicity for very simple reasons. One, I am already extraordinarily strong and two, I do build muscle very quickly. I know this from having lived inside my body for 35 years. I am aware that being 280 pounds is not healthy and limits my strength, and being 35 means I'm heading into time when maintaining muscle will be more difficult. But my body type is different from a lot of women.

Being Norwegian doesn't automatically make you a freak of nature. It doesn't mean you automatically build muscle like the hulk. What is generally means is you are probably tall and probably have a broad structure. The only way to determine if you have to ability to gain a ton of muscle is if you get a hydrostatic or dexa scan, but I would probably think your not much different than the rest of us.

• NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You are squatting over 280? Impressive, do you compete in powerlifting?
  • NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [
  • RGv2
    Options
    Listen, everyone - I mention my ethnicity for very simple reasons. One, I am already extraordinarily strong and two, I do build muscle very quickly. I know this from having lived inside my body for 35 years. I am aware that being 280 pounds is not healthy and limits my strength, and being 35 means I'm heading into time when maintaining muscle will be more difficult. But my body type is different from a lot of women.

And here we go...

If you know you're right, then why ask the question? To tell everyone they're wrong?
  • NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [
  • NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Being Norwegian doesn't automatically make you a freak of nature. It doesn't mean you automatically build muscle like the hulk. What is generally means is you are probably tall and probably have a broad structure. The only way to determine if you have to ability to gain a ton of muscle is if you get a hydrostatic or dexa scan, but I would probably think your not much different than the rest of us.

I think people are different. It's no big deal. There are tons of people who are built like me and tons who aren't. I am just stronger than your average woman. That's just a fact.

Keep in mind that your body, at 280 has more available resources than someone who is 140 lbs per say. And it would be awesome if you are able to maintain a 300 lb deadlift the entire time during your weight loss journey.

For me, I am at a point where most of my lifts have plateaued.