Wake up people!!

Options
So we have a DVR and very rarely have to watch commercials (other than the Superbowl ads) Sometimes we'll catch a food ad and think-who eats that stuff, no wonder the country is fat. Yesterday I caught an ad for Lipton Iced Tea geared to kids that pushed me to write to the company. It shows cartoon characters at a picnic and one holds up a glass of water and complains that it has no taste, the solution is to drink Lipton Iced Tea because it has flavor. I know in the past cereal companies and junk food companies have taken heat---but it is so wrong on so many levels to put out to kids that drinking water is wrong!!!
End of rant!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tea?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Agree! Funny if I have pop or water at home, my 14 year old will choose water every time.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I saw that too. I agree, and applaud you for writing to the company. I will too, thanks!
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

^^This

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    While I do get what you're saying, don't forget that tea has many healthful properties. Of course, Lipton is like the dregs from the bottom of the tea house floor, and you absolutely have to add sweetener to choke down the vile bitter stuff, but real tea is very, very good for you.

Still, water is also good for you, and shouldn't be shown in a negative light to kids.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The ad is to sell their product. Could be worse.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    So? Their job is to sell a product, your job is to educate your kids. If you don't want them seeing commercials stop letting them watch TV. You be responsible for yourself and your family.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

^^This
    Nothing is wrong with tea. But iced tea with a crap-load of sugar in it is no better than soda. Plus, kids don't need all that caffeine and the OP stated the ad was directed at kids.

I know a lot of places in the US drink their iced tea unsweetened but I don't think that's what the ad was for.

• Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly I rather my son drink home brewed green tea then soda. Might be a step in the right direction. I'm not saying they should have said water is nasty or anything but there is nothing wrong with some tea imo.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What's wrong with tea?

Think the point was them discouraging children from drinking water.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people care about ads directed at kids. Is your six year old going out to buy the product? No, he'll pester you for it and you can use it as a learning experience.

Or don't let them watch tv? I wasn't allowed to watch tv until I was older.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

^^This
    Nothing is wrong with tea. But iced tea with a crap-load of sugar in it is no better than soda. Plus, kids don't need all that caffeine and the OP stated the ad was directed at kids.

I know a lot of places in the US drink their iced tea unsweetened but I don't think that's what the ad was for.

Lipton sells unsweetened tea.
    http://www.liptontea.com/product/detail/141487/diet-white-tea-rasberry

(well that's sad that they misspelled raspberry in their URL...)

So thats 13mg of caffeine.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372

Just a little bit more than decaf coffee...
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Umm... I know the commercial, and I didn't perceive it as directed towards kids. They were Muppets, not cartoon characters. :smile:
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

Think the point was them discouraging children from drink water.

So?

As another poster said, the kid isn't gonna be buying it themselves...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

^^This

Lipton sells unsweetened tea.
    http://www.liptontea.com/product/detail/141487/diet-white-tea-rasberry

(well that's sad that they misspelled raspberry in their URL...)

So thats 13mg of caffeine.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372

Just a little bit more than decaf coffee...

LOL at rasberry.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    So we have a DVR and very rarely have to watch commercials (other than the Superbowl ads) Sometimes we'll catch a food ad and think-who eats that stuff, no wonder the country is fat. Yesterday I caught an ad for Lipton Iced Tea geared to kids that pushed me to write to the company. It shows cartoon characters at a picnic and one holds up a glass of water and complains that it has no taste, the solution is to drink Lipton Iced Tea because it has flavor. I know in the past cereal companies and junk food companies have taken heat---but it is so wrong on so many levels to put out to kids that drinking water is wrong!!!
    End of rant!

So? What my kids eat and drink is not the responsibility of Lipton (or any advertiser for that matter). It's my responsibility.

Also, if my kids want iced tea, they can have some - because they drink nothing but water all day. They can have soda sometimes, too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    They're muppets, not cartoon characters. We watched them growing up and it really doesn't seem geared towards kids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_eUoow7TPI
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It is the message that drinking water is just not cool, sort of like if a candy company had a person say that veggies were ucky and candy is better. There is a move to try to teach kids to eat good natural healthy food to live longer healthier lives. It is solely the job of parents to feed them and for schools to have healthy lunches and no junk food on campus but people can also let large businesses know when the message is not appreciated.
    There is nothing wrong with tea, nothing wrong with coffee or juice boxes or fitness water or soda. For something to quench thirst and hydrate your body water is probably a better choice.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    It is the message that drinking water is just not cool, sort of like if a candy company had a person say that veggies were ucky and candy is better. There is a move to try to teach kids to eat good natural healthy food to live longer healthier lives. It is solely the job of parents to feed them and for schools to have healthy lunches and no junk food on campus but people can also let large businesses know when the message is not appreciated.
    There is nothing wrong with tea, nothing wrong with coffee or juice boxes or fitness water or soda. For something to quench thirst and hydrate your body water is probably a better choice.

If you tasted the water that came out of my gramma's well you wouldn't say water was the better choice. You'd be wishing for some tea.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Or don't let them watch tv? I wasn't allowed to watch tv until I was older.

i watched tv for the first time last week. before that, everytime i walked by the damn thing, i wondered why we had a microwave in the living room...