MisterZ33 wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Or don't let them watch tv? I wasn't allowed to watch tv until I was older.

i watched tv for the first time last week. before that, everytime i walked by the damn thing, i wondered why we had a microwave in the living room...

So. When I say I wasn't allowed to watch TV it wasn't that it was on in another room and I could walk by accidentally. It was that we didn't have a TV except the one in my parent's bedroom, which was only on after I was asleep.

ok fine, but i dont understand, if the only tv in your was in your parents' room, who was babysitting the kids while your folks were cooking and / or doing chores around the house....?

.....really? Kids can't just play and use their imagination while the parents are busy? A TV isn't a babysitter.

im just kidding around...your sarcasm detector at the shop?

No, people really believe that. I never assume someone is being sarcastic.

i thought it was obvious when in my earlier post i wrote about confusing a tv for a microwave...no worries. as you were.
    How dare you joke around on such a serious matter :wink:

I am sending flowers and truffles to everyone i have upset in this thread.

You didn't upset me but can I have truffles anyway?!
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well I hate water and always have...so tea for me!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm a wake... is that all you wanted? It's no secret that commercials are there to feed into peoples desires... that is their whole purpose... I just don't pay attention to them... regardless of whether I watch them or fast forward through them...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    While I agree that marketing unhealthy items to children is shady, these kids will grow up to be adults who have unhealthy items market to them. So, I think it's good to go ahead and let the cereal companies market the Sugar Corn Pops, etc.

The kids have to learn what salespeople and ad people are doing. They have to learn to keep their money and make smart choices. It SHOULD begin while they're young. It's better that it starts then, when they have parents to guide and help them.

Life lessons are best learned young...and with support from family. :)
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people care about ads directed at kids. Is your six year old going out to buy the product? No, he'll pester you for it and you can use it as a learning experience.

Have you ever been pestered by a 6-year-old? I have and that is why I care.

Just kidding sort of. We mostly just use our DVR or watch stuff that doesn't have commercials. When my kids do happen to ask me for stuff they see we talk about how commercials are just trying to "trick" us and mommy isn't buying that junk.

• MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

i watched tv for the first time last week. before that, everytime i walked by the damn thing, i wondered why we had a microwave in the living room...

So. When I say I wasn't allowed to watch TV it wasn't that it was on in another room and I could walk by accidentally. It was that we didn't have a TV except the one in my parent's bedroom, which was only on after I was asleep.

ok fine, but i dont understand, if the only tv in your was in your parents' room, who was babysitting the kids while your folks were cooking and / or doing chores around the house....?

.....really? Kids can't just play and use their imagination while the parents are busy? A TV isn't a babysitter.

im just kidding around...your sarcasm detector at the shop?

No, people really believe that. I never assume someone is being sarcastic.

i thought it was obvious when in my earlier post i wrote about confusing a tv for a microwave...no worries. as you were.
    How dare you joke around on such a serious matter :wink:

I am sending flowers and truffles to everyone i have upset in this thread.

You didn't upset me but can I have truffles anyway?!

I'll have to try harder then next time...

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is Brita commercials. The one where tap water flushes like the toilet. TAP WATER is gross? WTH.
  • nickysbt
    Options
    When I was about three I told my mother I wouldn't eat anything but cookies because I was like Cookie Monster on Sesame Street. I even went so far as to colour my arms blue with magic marker and try to glue fur to myself.

My mother told me that I was a human child and human children need healthy food to grow big and strong. Because she was the parent.

When I started asking for things on TV my parents told me no then sat me down and explained advertising. Again, because they were the parents. In fourth or fifth grade my class had a unit on understanding bias and perspective that included analysing commercials and newspaper articles. Children aren't stupid, parents just like to act like they are. If you don't want your kids to have iced tea just don't buy the tea. It's really that simple.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Children in the U.S. have way more purchasing power than they should. Kids shouldn't be given carte blanche to put whatever they want in the grocery cart, but way too often that's the case. At best, kids should be given a choice between specific options that parents have already vetted, in consideration of varying taste buds and flavor preferences, but to let your kid make you buy tea and refuse to drink water? Nope. No snowflake is that special.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Except that when someone comes in here complaining that they don't like the taste of water, unsweetened iced tea is at the top of the list of suggestions. It does happen to be a good alternative for people who don't want to choose water.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Then do your job as a parent and make sure they aren't given caffeine and explain to them that advertising is designed to make a product look better than it is, and that excessive caloric intake is bad for them.

As far as the company goes, you can write them all you like. But I guarantee that the intern assigned to read emails/letters is going to crumple it up/press delete and forget that your needless complaints ever crossed their sight. Do you really think companies care what a small subset of people think, given that there are countless others willing to spend money on their products? The answer is no, because you're obviously not part of their intended demographic...hence, they couldn't care less that you even exist.

Companies don't owe you or your kids anything. They use marketing to sell to people with money, not small children. It's up to you to educate your children and no one else. If you don't want to buy a product, the simple solution is to use your money elsewhere.

If you didn't want to have to teach your kids things that ran counter to what advertising says, you shouldn't have had children to begin with, because that's what you'll be doing until the day they move out. If you manage to succeed, they'll be smarter consumers than their peers.

I thank my mother for raising me with a very healthy dose of skepticism and a questioning nature.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

As far as the company goes, you can write them all you like. But I guarantee that the intern assigned to read emails/letters is going to crumple it up/press delete and forget that your needless complaints ever crossed their sight. Do you really think companies care what a small subset of people think, given that there are countless others willing to spend money on their products? The answer is no, because you're obviously not part of their intended demographic...hence, they couldn't care less that you even exist.

Not exactly true...the large beverage makers (Coca Cola and Pepsi) have, many times, made changes to their product at the insistence of consumers. If enough people see something as an issue, the company will make changes in order to protect their profits.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    True.

You round up enough histrionic, conspiracy seeking people and crap like this starts.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The Tea industry was used as a model for "missing the boat" in my business classes for years. Unlike McDonald's which is grooming the next generation to take their future kids there (Ronald McDonald anyone)? The tea industry ignored the youth market and suddenly found their market share dropping. This is likely their awkward response.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not that big a deal. And anyway, of all of the products that I would complain about kids drinking too much of, tea is far down on the list. Lipton's not good though. Now oolong -- that's where it's at. Makes me nostalgic.

So many childhood memories of family gatherings in restaurants/tearooms in Shenyang .... ahhh ...
  • tiny_cactus
    tiny_cactus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Browsing through I've seen people say "But it's just tea." Thing is, lipton isn't tea. It's sugary tea flavored powder with chemicals added to it. Tea shouldn't have calories unless YOU add a little bit of sugar or honey, it's a leaf soaked in water. If you go to a store and purchase lipton or even arizona you're getting low quality tea like stuff packed with sugars.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Browsing through I've seen people say "But it's just tea." Thing is, lipton isn't tea. It's sugary tea flavored powder with chemicals added to it. Tea shouldn't have calories unless YOU add a little bit of sugar or honey, it's a leaf soaked in water. If you go to a store and purchase lipton or even arizona you're getting low quality tea like stuff packed with sugars.

Then guess what?

Don't buy it.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So we have a DVR and very rarely have to watch commercials (other than the Superbowl ads) Sometimes we'll catch a food ad and think-who eats that stuff, no wonder the country is fat. Yesterday I caught an ad for Lipton Iced Tea geared to kids that pushed me to write to the company. It shows cartoon characters at a picnic and one holds up a glass of water and complains that it has no taste, the solution is to drink Lipton Iced Tea because it has flavor. I know in the past cereal companies and junk food companies have taken heat---but it is so wrong on so many levels to put out to kids that drinking water is wrong!!!
    End of rant!
    Wake up?
    Those who are healthy are awakened, and those who slumber do so by choice.
    The food industry cares not for the health of our nation but in making profits. It's unprofitable to pitch healthy stuff unless you're scamming those trying to lose weight the easy way.
    That's another huge industry. This is nothing new. Jack Lalanne warned us 60 years ago.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have seen it too, didn't like it that much,, we laughed at it and made fun of it that animal spits out the water as if it is gross,, understand the OP's disgust but don't buy lipton or any flavored drinks/soda for that matter, and kids/we always drink water and don't let my kids drink that stuff