Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

Think the point was them discouraging children from drinking water.

I have not seen the ad, but I agree that the concept is wrong. Children don't need caffeine, or to see ads telling that water is tasteless. Children learn from everything they see. This sounds like a very irresponsible ad.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

If you tasted the water that came out of my gramma's well you wouldn't say water was the better choice. You'd be wishing for some tea.
    laughs, and in this case I would choose the soda or tea!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tea?

I have not seen the ad, but I agree that the concept is wrong. Children don't need caffeine, or to see ads telling that water is tasteless. Children learn from everything they see. This sounds like a very irresponsible ad.

I posted it above. It's the muppets and they aren't "targeting children"
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    Or don't let them watch tv? I wasn't allowed to watch tv until I was older.

i watched tv for the first time last week. before that, everytime i walked by the damn thing, i wondered why we had a microwave in the living room...

So. When I say I wasn't allowed to watch TV it wasn't that it was on in another room and I could walk by accidentally. It was that we didn't have a TV except the one in my parent's bedroom, which was only on after I was asleep.

My uncle has one TV, but no cable. So his kids watch only what is allowed. Same concept.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tea?

Where I agree that discouraging them from water sucks, I see nothing wrong with caffeine. As I mentioned above, If I had water and soda in my house my 14 year old would choose the water. I don't believe in eliminating any items, so didn't why they were growing up. Obviously, I did something right
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

i watched tv for the first time last week. before that, everytime i walked by the damn thing, i wondered why we had a microwave in the living room...

So. When I say I wasn't allowed to watch TV it wasn't that it was on in another room and I could walk by accidentally. It was that we didn't have a TV except the one in my parent's bedroom, which was only on after I was asleep.

ok fine, but i dont understand, if the only tv in your was in your parents' room, who was babysitting the kids while your folks were cooking and / or doing chores around the house....?
  • usmcmp
    Options

ok fine, but i dont understand, if the only tv in your was in your parents' room, who was babysitting the kids while your folks were cooking and / or doing chores around the house....?

.....really? Kids can't just play and use their imagination while the parents are busy? A TV isn't a babysitter.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Well hopefully the kids that see television advertising also have parents who put their big boy/girl pants on and take their role in their children's lives seriously. If not then an advertisement about Lipton tea should be the least of societies worries.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    What's wrong with tea?

Where I agree that discouraging them from water sucks, I see nothing wrong with caffeine. As I mentioned above, If I had water and soda in my house my 14 year old would choose the water. I don't believe in eliminating any items, so didn't why they were growing up. Obviously, I did something right
    If you'd ever seen my 4 year old on caffeine, you may see what's wrong with it LOL.

I get it, we are responsible for what we teach our kids. It would just be nice if we didn't have to constantly drill into them the opposite of what those fun, shiny TV ads are brainwashing them with.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with tea?

I agree with this - and also? My girls already know that commercials are full of crap.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I saw an ad for beer when I was little and asked my parents what it was. My dad let me have a drink of his beer and I didn't attempt to drink again until I joined the Marine Corps.
  • MisterZ33
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

.....really? Kids can't just play and use their imagination while the parents are busy? A TV isn't a babysitter.

im just kidding around...your sarcasm detector at the shop?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If you are seriously complaining about an iced tea ad I suggest you covers you eyes, ears, and walk into a dark corner.

Welcome to the world where everyone is trying to sell something at all times by any means possible. You cannot even go a day in this modern society without seeing adds on your phone, tv, billboards, radio, online, trucks, and even passing the stores in your area.

Everyone has something to sell and its up to you to take responsibility for what you do/don't choose to consume.

Please don't play the "but think of the children" act. This tactic is already old...
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Oh geez, this is what is wrong with people. TV isn't babysitter. You know what happens in my house if my son is not playing while I'm cooking and/or cleaning. HE HELPS. Yes, my 4 year old will happily help cook and "clean" (I suppose it doesn't always feel like helping but he tries).
  • usmcmp
    Options

No, people really believe that. I never assume someone is being sarcastic.
  • MisterZ33
    Options

i thought it was obvious when in my earlier post i wrote about confusing a tv for a microwave...no worries. as you were.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

i thought it was obvious when in my earlier post i wrote about confusing a tv for a microwave...no worries. as you were.
    How dare you joke around on such a serious matter :wink:

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My bigger concern is how to avoid all the erectile dysfunction commercials that are airing during MLB Playoffs which I'm trying to watch with my 6 year old son...
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Yeah, I didn't really get sarcasm from it either, but I have heard people use this logic a lot more then I would like. It really is a shame.
  • MisterZ33
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

How dare you joke around on such a serious matter :wink:

I am sending flowers and truffles to everyone i have upset in this thread.