This is causing problems with my friends

Options
12346»

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I went to the mall earlier this year with 2 of my sisters-in-law and my mother-in-law who were all visiting from out of town. One SIL wanted to buy lunch for us all and insisted we eat some greasy, nasty, Chinese food at the food court. I offered to buy my own lunch from Subway (the least greasy alternative) while they ordered theirs. SIL pitched a fit and was about to get mad, so I relented and ordered the best available options I could. I ate a little of the food and took the rest home. When I got home, I ate what I wanted. That way nobody was upset or offended. However, ironically enough, SIL's feet and legs swelled so bad that night from the sodium and MSG that she had to be taken to the emergency room. I did NOT say I told you so!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    it is stupid and trivial to everyone that isnt you trying to lose weight. It doesnt make a difference in their lives at all. So you go on the internet, type in peanut pad thai, use the average of the top 3 nutrition infos you find and you log that and you stop making your problems into other peoples' problems.

You are the one who needs to lose weight and get your habits under control, so don't go on the internet and take the time to write about how other people aren't losing your weight for you.

It isn't supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be one of the hardest things you ever do.

What?? Why?? Is that a joke? Why would eating less need to be the hardest thing you ever do?

Eating less?

Why the hell would eating less be the hardest thing you do? I never said that.

I said that taking control of your own habits and become a fit individual is ONE OF the hardest things you can undertake.

You said:

"You are the one who needs to lose weight and get your habits under control, so don't go on the internet and take the time to write about how other people aren't losing your weight for you.

It isn't supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be one of the hardest things you ever do."

In response to a post about wanting to know calorie counts. Sure sounds like you were saying losing weight was supposed to be the hardest thing we do, but perhaps it was just worded poorly.

Hopefully that is the case, and you weren't really saying that the OP not wanting to switch restaurants is somehow suggestive that she wants someone else to lose weight for her.

No, I said that losing weight and getting your habits under control is ONE OF the hardest things you ever do.

And eating less is not the same thing as losing weight and taking control of your habits and getting fit.

And no, it is NOT supposed to be easy.

It takes years and it's something you have to stick to the rest of your life. Changing a lifetime of bad habits is HARD.

why am I so completely wrong for saying that taking control of your life is hard?

Geez, calm down. First of all I never said you were 'completely wrong', and your synopsis of what you said is not really what you said, though it may have been what you meant. Only you know what you meant so I perfectly willing to accept your clarification.

Calories or weight loss aside, from the OP's post (which admittedly is one side of the story, but the only side either of us has), the friend seems to be the unreasonable person. If the OP wants to stick to original plans for whatever reason that does not mean she is failing to control her life or her weight.
    it is stupid and trivial to everyone that isnt you trying to lose weight. It doesnt make a difference in their lives at all. So you go on the internet, type in peanut pad thai, use the average of the top 3 nutrition infos you find and you log that and you stop making your problems into other peoples' problems.

You are the one who needs to lose weight and get your habits under control, so don't go on the internet and take the time to write about how other people aren't losing your weight for you.

It isn't supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be one of the hardest things you ever do.

What?? Why?? Is that a joke? Why would eating less need to be the hardest thing you ever do?

Eating less?

I said that taking control of your own habits and become a fit individual is ONE OF the hardest things you can undertake.

You said:

"You are the one who needs to lose weight and get your habits under control, so don't go on the internet and take the time to write about how other people aren't losing your weight for you.

It isn't supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be one of the hardest things you ever do."

In response to a post about wanting to know calorie counts. Sure sounds like you were saying losing weight was supposed to be the hardest thing we do, but perhaps it was just worded poorly.

Hopefully that is the case, and you weren't really saying that the OP not wanting to switch restaurants is somehow suggestive that she wants someone else to lose weight for her.

No, I said that losing weight and getting your habits under control is ONE OF the hardest things you ever do.

And eating less is not the same thing as losing weight and taking control of your habits and getting fit.

It takes years and it's something you have to stick to the rest of your life. Changing a lifetime of bad habits is HARD.

why am I so completely wrong for saying that taking control of your life is hard?

Geez, calm down. First of all I never said you were 'completely wrong', and your synopsis of what you said is not really what you said, though it may have been what you meant. Only you know what you meant so I perfectly willing to accept your clarification.

Calories or weight loss aside, from the OP's post (which admittedly is one side of the story, but the only side either of us has), the friend seems to be the unreasonable person. If the OP wants to stick to original plans for whatever reason that does not mean she is failing to control her life or her weight.

I'm not clarifying for you. I said changing habits and losing weight and you decided that meant eating less. That's on you.

Stop quoting me to get my attention. Go back a few hours and quote other people now.

Hopefully in the future anyone who comes up against this situation can still go out and enjoy a meal with their friends even if the nutritional values aren't posted on the internet (just estimate or get an average) and they will all still be friends even though one of them doesn't like this one kind of food that's out there. And remember that sometimes other people won't care, especially once you've been doing this for years, so you gotta be your own awesome supportive best friend.

Wow, you are really a very superior and ‘my way or the highway’ type person, aren't you. What you posted is above in this post (if expanded) and in the thread. You said weight loss, you said it should be hard.

Hopefully, in the future people who are asked to eat somewhere they don’t want to eat, they will not waste calories on food they don’t like, unless they want to.

Weight loss (and keeping it off) requires lifestyle change. It is hard. You are talking to someone who has had a particularly hard road and is sharing out of her experience. It isn't coming from a place of superiority. Why are you spending so much time picking apart everything she says?

I suppose mostly because she keeps saying she didn't say it, even though it's right there for all to see. I have no doubt that losing weight is hard for some people, but it's completely off topic. Perhaps she is just projecting her journey onto the OP, but the accusatory posts were likely part of the reason the OP deactivated. So, if you are waiting for me to say "well done", that is not going to happen.

If you can't motivate or support, the perhaps the motivation and support forum is not the right one for you. (generic "you")
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    caimay149 wrote: »
    Eldamiano, are you a troll or did you wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning? I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts. MFP is a place for support and this morning I've seen you go from post to post to post trying to provoke people.

While you are on the "motivation and support" board, in general, MFP is not a place of support. It's a calorie counter.

Actually you're wrong... read the title of the FORUM: "Motivation and Support"

So yeah, the OP has every right to ask for support.

Learn to read.

She said MFP was a place of support. Hence my comment.
    I pointed out that we are on the motivation and support board. But IN GENERAL MFP is NOT a place of support. It is merely a calorie counting website.

Or, a place where people who feel like spending their days making other people feel crappy go to get their rocks off, eh?

I'm staying out of this because it might make my eyesight get worse.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    caimay149 wrote: »
    Eldamiano, are you a troll or did you wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning? I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts. MFP is a place for support and this morning I've seen you go from post to post to post trying to provoke people.

While you are on the "motivation and support" board, in general, MFP is not a place of support. It's a calorie counter.

Actually you're wrong... read the title of the FORUM: "Motivation and Support"

So yeah, the OP has every right to ask for support.

Learn to read.

She said MFP was a place of support. Hence my comment.
    I pointed out that we are on the motivation and support board. But IN GENERAL MFP is NOT a place of support. It is merely a calorie counting website.

Or, a place where people who feel like spending their days making other people feel crappy go to get their rocks off, eh?

yep- you guessed it- I'm over here one hand on the mouse- one down my pants- and the worse people feel the hotter it gets.

you nailed it spot on.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Eating less?

You said:

Eating less?

You said:

I'm not clarifying for you. I said changing habits and losing weight and you decided that meant eating less. That's on you.

Stop quoting me to get my attention. Go back a few hours and quote other people now.

Hopefully in the future anyone who comes up against this situation can still go out and enjoy a meal with their friends even if the nutritional values aren't posted on the internet (just estimate or get an average) and they will all still be friends even though one of them doesn't like this one kind of food that's out there. And remember that sometimes other people won't care, especially once you've been doing this for years, so you gotta be your own awesome supportive best friend.

Wow, you are really a very superior and ‘my way or the highway’ type person, aren't you. What you posted is above in this post (if expanded) and in the thread. You said weight loss, you said it should be hard.

Hopefully, in the future people who are asked to eat somewhere they don’t want to eat, they will not waste calories on food they don’t like, unless they want to.

Weight loss (and keeping it off) requires lifestyle change. It is hard. You are talking to someone who has had a particularly hard road and is sharing out of her experience. It isn't coming from a place of superiority. Why are you spending so much time picking apart everything she says?

I suppose mostly because she keeps saying she didn't say it, even though it's right there for all to see. I have no doubt that losing weight is hard for some people, but it's completely off topic. Perhaps she is just projecting her journey onto the OP, but the accusatory posts were likely part of the reason the OP deactivated. So, if you are waiting for me to say "well done", that is not going to happen.

If you can't motivate or support, the perhaps the motivation and support forum is not the right one for you. (generic "you")

Accusatory posts were not aimed towards the OP.