Bite me, Couch to 5K - Week 3!

Options

Replies

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    OMG ive not laughed this hard in ages you are truly hilarious and courageous. Keep up the running
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    You are hilarious and awesome!! Good job on rockin' those three minutes out!!!
    :D
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making me laugh at 3 AM at work, in the middle of a never-ending shift. I loved it and you should do more, maybe a blog?

Congrats on surviving! I made it through the program last year and it's so worth it. It still amazes me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Winning! (*)
  • tgiggles
    tgiggles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Def grabbed me! I wanted to read more!!! lol Great Job! I have recently developed a new passion for running, I have the runkeep app, maybe I will get the C25k app
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    To funny good luck on the progress
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    LOL love it! I did C25K a few years ago and remember the same sentiments - I started back into running a bit over a month ago and yesterday I ran 3.3. miles. I'd just been going lamp post to lamp post initially and you'd be surprised at how strong you can be when you're not focused on those numbers :D
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Very nice! And accurate, too!!! I've got to say, though . . . 13 min/mile isn't all that slow. I would almost suggest from your descriptions that you could slow down a bit. But good job!!!

I started my first C25K a year and a half ago. And this was about how it went. The hardest part, for me, was the first 20 minute run. I had really psyched myself up to think it would be gruelling. And guess what - if you THINK a run will be gruelling, it WILL be gruelling. I finished the C25K, then spent about 10 months doing a 5K2C (that's a lot easier, because it involves potato chips). I started C25K again about 5 months ago. It was much easier this time. I now run 5K about 3 times a week. In the past couple weeks I have run my first sub-10 minute mile since High School (almost a quarter century ago), and I have run 4.77 miles in 60 minutes, the longest and farthest I have run in my entire life. (And I didn't work up to it . . . I just finished a 34 minute 5K, and decided to keep going)

One more note - be careful of your joints. I am firmly in the camp that running helps to strengthen your joints. In fact, I've got a bum achilles tendon that literally causes me to limp when I'm inactive, but as long as I keep up with my running, it's fine. However, you do not want to injure your joints on the way to strengthening them!

Nice work!!!
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Way to go, I finished the program today and like could not have imagined running 3 mins let alone the 30 I did today. Keep going
  • beanerschnitzel
    beanerschnitzel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Injury here. Have gone from week 7 to week 1 in one fell swoop. Literally like the progress never happened and I again find myself cursing the b*tch when she tells me to begin running. I can soooo relate.
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    LOL! How do people even find this old post of mine? Well, I've long since finished C25K and have run four 5Ks since them. I can't recommend this program enough.
  • joshuaantonson
    joshuaantonson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just finished the couch to 5k program myself. Never did I imagine thinking to myself "only a mile left to run"
  • bloody88
    bloody88 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    desweds wrote: »
    LOL! How do people even find this old post of mine? Well, I've long since finished C25K and have run four 5Ks since them. I can't recommend this program enough.
    Well i loved your post and i am sure that everyone that has read it did as well. Glad to see that you've progressed so much :smiley:

• LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Proud of you!
  • lisabrezina1980
    lisabrezina1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I needed this this morning! I have 6 days until I run a 5k and haven't been practicing.
    I'm on my way to the gym but was justifying my reasoning why I should skip the run today.
    But you convinced me to get to my running on thanks! You are hilarious.
  • ToriJ84
    ToriJ84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ha! OMG you're hilarious! Congrats on your progress!
  • DrivenPrincess
    DrivenPrincess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    desweds wrote: »
    “Ding! Begin Walking”

The ladyvoice of Week 3, Day 1 of Couch to 5k wasn't reassuring as she commanded my 5 minute warm up walk. I know what this day meant. I’d already looked ahead to what she was going to ask me to do today: FOUR THREE-MINUTE RUNS!?!?!?! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

For the record, two weeks ago I couldn't run half a block. Granted, by last week ladyvoice got me up to two minutes runs – which impressed the CRAP out of me – but now THREE MINUTES? My excuses-per-second generator speeds up as the first of the three-minute runs approach:
    I’m 53! I'm morbidly obese! My joints hurt! I have a hiatal hernia! I'm diabetic!

“Ding! RUN!”

OK, you stupid smartphone app, I’ll run. Here I go. 13 minute pace. Slow. Who cares? I’m moving and that’s good enough. My feet go: plop, plop, plop. The cruel, uncaring app counts down the three minute run:

“Ding! One Minute!”

WTF? That’s only one minute? I’ll never make three minutes. I’m dying here! I can’t get enough air! My heart rate is too high! Ouch, I stepped on a pebble! How the hell am I supposed to…Oh look! A pretty girl…

“Ding! Two Minutes!”

My android phone must be powerful as it is clearly warping the space time continuum cuz’ there is NO GOD DAMN WAY I've only been running for 120 seconds. But it’s OK as I know sweet death will soon wrap itself around me, my corpse left on the side of the street. Woodland creatures will walk by and quietly mourn me. I will be at peace. My head is spinning. Yet my feet are moving… time is lost on me…
    COME TAKE ME BROTHER DEATH! INTO THY HANDS…

“Ding! Walk!”

Was...that…a ding I heard? Does that mean…I DID IT? I did! I ran three minutes. Nee Ner Nee Ner! I’m walking now, breathing hard with hands on my hips. Recovering.

Meh. That was easy. Only three more of those? No problem.

Go away Brother Death. Mr. Healthy does not need you now!

HAHAHA!!! I'm doing the program also so I find this absolutely HILARIOUS!! Thanks :smiley:
  • tiarajj08
    tiarajj08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love this post!!! It is so real.... When I first tried it, it was so hard... I gave up. But you really inspired me to not give up.... Thank you!!
  • GettingHealthyWithShelly
    Options
    Wonderful! What a fantastic writer =) And with a sense of humor too. But what I found, was that you are motivational. I think I'll invest in a couch to 5k myself. So thank you. Keep up the great work!
  • maryjboom
    maryjboom Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Goo job! I have been thinking of starting. I don't run unless something is chasing me. Now I may start C25K sooner than I planned. Thanks
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!