Bite me, Couch to 5K - Week 3!

Options

Replies

• CUPCAKE2CARROTS
    Options
    LOL Love it ~ I am on W1D3 ~ Everything you wrote I have thought and thought I was the only one thinking it. Thank you so very much for writing this post. I needed it :)
  • jbb86
    jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    nicnoc1981 wrote: »
    Love this, you may have even inspired me to download the app :) so well written and well done on your first 3 minute runs (I can't even do 1)

Ha! My thoughts exactly as the app has now completely downloaded.. lol

• jbb86
    jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did C25K about 2 years ago (the ripe old age of 46!) ...it took me 12 weeks to finish because I had to spend extra time on some weeks.... but here it is 2 years later and I can still run (slowly, I'll admit) 5Ks. I have a few under my belt and I'm thinking of starting the Bridge to 10K program. I loved C2%K - I was never a runner before - I thought that if someone was chasing me, I'd just have to be caught. Now I can at least outrun a slow criminal. LOL

That's funny! I say the same thing about just being caught if a dog or someone was chasing me. I am going to start the C25K and try to outrun a slow criminal.. lmbo

• cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I start W3 tomorrow, after doing W1 and W2 twice because I was so scared! This post made me so inspired I want to go and do W3D1 today!! Great job!
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Great post! I've thought all the same things as I've progressed on C25K also. Glad I'm not alone in feeling that way. :)
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    That was hilarious and motivational. Bravo on your run!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!!! I did day 1 week 3 just two days ago. I was thinking the same thing but I didn't make it the whole 3 minutes. I looked at my phone like it was crazy when it said I had to run 3 minutes straight. lol.....
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hehe. I enjoyed reading your success. Great job! I want to try the couch to 5k program next spring. It's snowing here in Minnesota and I have terrible ankles so jogging isn't an option for me right now. Maybe I should invest in a treadmill...
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this; it may be the motivation I need. Do I understand correctly I can start Cto5K even with aching joints, and stay on some weeks if I'm not ready to increase? These are the two things that have scared me off of it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Triplestep wrote: »
    Thanks for this; it may be the motivation I need. Do I understand correctly I can start Cto5K even with aching joints, and stay on some weeks if I'm not ready to increase? These are the two things that have scared me off of it.
    You can most certainly repeat weeks if you don't feel you're ready to progress. Just try to be honest with yourself as to why you aren't ready. If it's all mental then give it a try anyway. You might just surprise yourself.

If aching joints are your norm and you aren't worried about additional damage, then sure. If you develop aching joints from running I'd try to evaluate the cause. Running shouldn't hurt beyond some mild muscle aches. Joint issues caused by running are usually attributed to one of four things: too much too soon, not resting enough between runs, the wrong shoes, or the running surface.

Don't run every day or doing high impact activities the days between runs. Your body needs to rest between runs. You're placing a lot of strain on a body unaccustomed to this new activity and it needs a chance to recover.

As long as you're following the program exactly you shouldn't have to worry about too much too soon. It's paced to give you a good increase in mileage and time on the road/treadmill.

Did you get fitted for running shoes? If not, now may be the time. You'll want to go to a proper running store (not a store that sells other types of shoes, too) and have them analyze your gait and feet to find the right shoes for you.

Are you running on concrete? It has no give and causes the most problems. Asphalt is better, dirt or grass better still. If you're running on a treadmill be sure there's a slight incline, about 1% or so. It'll prevent the shin splints that running on a backwards moving belt at no incline can cause.
  • gingerminge85
    gingerminge85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today. This was so hysterical, thank you for posting.
  • LovingMeIn2014
    LovingMeIn2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness that was tooooo FUNNY!!!! Great job!! B)
  • cprati
    cprati Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Too funny! Keep up the good work.
  • VGibs1981
    VGibs1981 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hysterical!!!!! :p
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It was just over a year ago that I started C25K. I couldn't run much more than 100 ft. at first. My "runs" were at something like 14:30 minute miles. Absolutely pathetic. I stuck with it though.... I never believed I would hit that 20 minute run, but... I did.

This year, 40 lbs lighter (or so) thanks to running and a mildly better diet, I now go run 5-10 miles whenever I feel like it, which is often!

My point? Stay with C25K... it'll get you there if you don't give up, and you may even find out you enjoy running. Crazy thought, I know!
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This was so funny to read and so true! Thanks for this and great job!!
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What a guy. Awesome post :-)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I totally LOVE your writing style! And congrats! Good job!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Right on. Keep up the good work

d069wt.jpg
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Love it Love it Love it!

I'm on Week 2 and I'll come back here on W5 to report!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!