Ketosis

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    Also, in the morning when we wake up after a 7 hour period of not eating, all of us are in the state of ketosis. In other words, in the aggregate we are burning fats for fuel.

Fasting blood ketones are usually negligible in people eating a high carb diet as glycogen reserves are deployed to supply blood glucose instead. You can see this in studies of low carb vs high carb diets - check the baseline fasting ketones and the difference between the groups.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are used in the body building world in short cycles to lean out in the last weeks before a show, its not meant to be long term because yes, it is dangerous

Keto diet is used in medical world, as well. If you go back and read some of the articles posted by others, you will see that it is no more dangerous (and much more beneficial for those with diabetes, seizure disorders..the list is long) than any other diet if it is done properly. No one should diet in any way without doing the research.

Some people have to use it long term..
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are used in the body building world in short cycles to lean out in the last weeks before a show, its not meant to be long term because yes, it is dangerous

As if bodybuilding is about health and as if bodybuilder shave a clue about health. Now that's funny.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Obviously you have no proof to back up your facts. Why is it dangerous long term? Obviously you didn't take time to read through the thread before posting.
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think your confusing ketoacidosis (which is what diabetics get because they can't produce enough insulin) with nutritional ketosis. Ketoacidosis is not possible in a person who can produce insulin. I actually had high cholesterol before starting this diet, and now I have normal levels. I make sure I eat good fats, nuts, oils, real butter, mayo. Your body does not need all those carbs, and you don't need much fat to put you in fat burning mode, as long as you keep carbs down. I have been on keto diet for a year, and have never felt better.
  • kathyklk
    kathyklk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Newbie (to keto) question(s). Sorry if this is the wrong thread. Can I program MyFitnessPal to show net carbs for food values? If so, how? And I presume I should change my goals to reflect net carb totals, calories, and fiber. Anything else? Thanks!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I am becoming quite fascinated by ketosis and, I may actually further reduce my already low carb (50-100 g) daily allotment to under 50g after the holiday season passes. However, that said, if ketosis can occur between 40-50 g, why do folks reduce to 20g?

I gather that people in Ketosis take lots of vitamins to make up for the lost nutrition from cutting out the 5-7 servings of veggies?
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When I had gestational diabetes, one of the things they make you do is take a urine test to see the ketone level in the urine. If it's too high, that's a risk/danger to the baby, so they had me up my diet, eat more with more carbs until I tested in the normal range. While the diabetic diet tends to be lower carb, I don't think it's drastic, and it was pretty sustainable.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I am becoming quite fascinated by ketosis and, I may actually further reduce my already low carb (50-100 g) daily allotment to under 50g after the holiday season passes. However, that said, if ketosis can occur between 40-50 g, why do folks reduce to 20g?

I gather that people in Ketosis take lots of vitamins to make up for the lost nutrition from cutting out the 5-7 servings of veggies?

You'll probably get more info on the keto boards. For me personally, the lower my carb grams, the easier it is for me to control sugar and carb. If I start taking even 5 grams more, the cravings start gnawing at me. But it's entirely a personal choice. Some people can get into nutritional ketosis with more, some need less.

Here's the board: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was in denial, buying L, XL, too XXL, " I am not too fat" gross self deception! Portion sizes just got bigger, 2 slices pizza became one large pizza! stress craves carbs! Plain stupidity, and lack of self love/respect! and excuses!

BMI 33.6 I am in the obese range class1, just calculated it! and WRONG focus! My mind is so tired of climbing this mountain and falling back down! trying every year! I am so tired of learning what to eat and what to eat, I love fruits and vegetables but this diet does not work! hate animal source of proteins!

Today going to give the keto diet a chance! just sick and tired of dieting. Very worried about the high fat and arteries? A friend lost weight on this diet, he did no exercise, but lost muscle tone! I hate exercise and gym so going to try this even though I don't like the sound of high fat. The will power and mind determination seems to be the hardest. and craving snacks! Being hungry messes with my mind I cannot focus on painting, work suffers! But then results count right! thin is thin! so keto it is, last choice!. No fruits! grapes, cherries, yellow peach, watermelon, etc damn! If there is a better way than keto please let me know.

GOD please help me get healthy and reach my healthy weight. 28-10-2014, 10:20pm.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    111grace keto is not for the masses but it does work if one works it hard. The hard part is all the sugar in stuff today. Giving up the grapes and apples helped me to say in nutritional ketosis. Not sure why your friend loss muscle tone but I do move about. Best of luck. Give yourself 90 days before you quite is possible. If you have health concerns get some professional guidance.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @111grace wrote: »
    I was in denial, buying L, XL, too XXL, " I am not too fat" gross self deception! Portion sizes just got bigger, 2 slices pizza became one large pizza! stress craves carbs! Plain stupidity, and lack of self love/respect! and excuses!

BMI 33.6 I am in the obese range class1, just calculated it! and WRONG focus! My mind is so tired of climbing this mountain and falling back down! trying every year! I am so tired of learning what to eat and what to eat, I love fruits and vegetables but this diet does not work! hate animal source of proteins!

Today going to give the keto diet a chance! just sick and tired of dieting. Very worried about the high fat and arteries? A friend lost weight on this diet, he did no exercise, but lost muscle tone! I hate exercise and gym so going to try this even though I don't like the sound of high fat. The will power and mind determination seems to be the hardest. and craving snacks! Being hungry messes with my mind I cannot focus on painting, work suffers! But then results count right! thin is thin! so keto it is, last choice!. No fruits! grapes, cherries, yellow peach, watermelon, etc damn! If there is a better way than keto please let me know.

GOD please help me get healthy and reach my healthy weight. 28-10-2014, 10:20pm.

Don't just jump on this, it won't work if you don't research exactly how it works, tailor it to your needs, and really put all your efforts into it. It's not a magic bullet for weight loss. If you were on a very high carb, high sugar diet it'll be like going on detox and the keto flu may kick your butt at first. People who aren't fully committed to this, won't do well on keto.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    2x on what crisb2 states. Becoming keto adapted for the first time in one's life can be a hard trip but worth it in the case of some. In my case more energy with no blood sugar lows during the day is awesome after being a slave to sugar for like 60+ years. I did about 200 hours of research personally.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »

Rosey being new to this I dropped my goal to 20 grams of carbs just because I expect I am getting more 'accidental' carbs than I thought. When eating out I think even meat gets sugar to help overcome perhaps lower quality products. I do take vitamins now and should be getting a new round of blood work next week and will request a ketone report as well.

• Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. However, to each his own. Different people try low carb for different reasons. I tried it because all of the other ways were not working. You are 23, so your metabolism is probably pretty high. Mine used to be when I was your age. I could drop weight just like that. However, now......not so much. It takes moving heaven and earth to lose a pound. I switched over to a very low carb diet for a couple of months to jumpstart my diet. When one is working out and eating extremely clean and nothing is coming off, it can be quite discouraging. This happens once a woman is menopausal. The low carb diet was the only thing that worked. I have eased complex carbs back into my diet, my weight loss has slowed down to a crawl again, but I am more patient because at least I can see some results. Again, people try low carb for their own reasons. There is mine, and I am quite satisfied with it.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity, a lot of people say their issues with bingeing disappear on a keto diet, does it take away the emotional attachment to food as well? I'm thinking very overweight people who would describe food as their best friend and major comfort. Do these issues suddenly go away?

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Froody2 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, a lot of people say their issues with bingeing disappear on a keto diet, does it take away the emotional attachment to food as well? I'm thinking very overweight people who would describe food as their best friend and major comfort. Do these issues suddenly go away?

I think I still have an emotional attachment to carbs by memory. I can remember how good a banana shake can taste or lemon icebox pie. Just typing the words makes me want to drool. What I do not have is a chemical addiction to sugar now that forces me to stop at Dairy Queen the best I can tell. I do not sag in the afternoon and need a Dr. Pepper and candy bar any longer.

I do not think Fat is addicting. The one video on some thread has a Doctor talking about sugar and cocaine having similar behavior in the human brain. I had lunch about 1 pm and some Macadamia nuts about 5pm and about 8 pm I had some cottage cheese and three table spoons of coconut oil in a cup with hot water and a tablespoon of dark cocoa because I was a bit hungry but mainly it was getting some hint of arthritis pain in my feet.

Some think since nutritional ketosis is used in cure some forms of epilepsy that it can have a calming effect on the brain in all people. I know I am more level headed and less given to fits when things go wrong. :)

Froody2 actually being new at this I am not sure if the effects of nutritional ketosis can be explained to someone who has not had the experience. The calming effect is real in my experience.

This may be of interest to you and the link to the full article will be below.

All of the following conditions have been shown in animal models or in human studies to improve on a ketogenic diet:

Autism
    Traumatic Brain Injury
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    Parkinson’s Disease
    Brain Cancer
    Diabetes
    Prostate Cancer
    Obesity
    Chronic Pain/Inflammation
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Insomnia/Circadian Rhythm disorders

Source: http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/bipolar-disorder-and-low-carb-diets/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Froody2 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, a lot of people say their issues with bingeing disappear on a keto diet...

A lot of other people find they binge more on keto.

There is no one answer. Our bodies evolved to have a variety of preferences, as that enhances our collective ability to survive.

Figure out what works for *your* body.

• Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! Food for thought :-)