Grrrrr...visit to my doctor

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    perhaps it is because you are applying your unique situation to everyone and advising them to avoid "added sugar" and what not. News flash - your body does not distinguish between added sugar, natural sugar, sugar from heaven, or sugar from hell.it is just well, sugar...

But do you agree that a person can have too much sugar. Say for instance, a day of eating things like Coco Pops, fast foods, donuts, coke and lollies.

if that composes 100% of their diet then yes….

if it is part of a regular diet, then no …

what does fast food have to do with sugar?

sugar is not the devil.

• ndj1979
    agrasso88 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have found a good doctor who is recommending healthy, nutritious natural food which is unprocessed. The doctor also isn't just giving you a pill which might cure you by covering the symptoms but giving you side effects which damage something else in your body. Give it a go see how you feel. I reckon you will lose weight and have a lot more energy if you follow his advice correctly. Eating fats and proteins makes you feel full which is the reason why you lose weight. You eat less you are never ravenously hungry. Control your insulin spikes and you will make your body regulate when to eat.

protein spikes insulin too ..should that be avoided?
  • agrasso88
    agrasso88 Posts: 33 Member
    Sounds like you have found a good doctor who is recommending healthy, nutritious natural food which is unprocessed. The doctor also isn't just giving you a pill which might cure you by covering the symptoms but giving you side effects which damage something else in your body. Give it a go see how you feel. I reckon you will lose weight and have a lot more energy if you follow his advice correctly. Eating fats and proteins makes you feel full which is the reason why you lose weight. You eat less you are never ravenously hungry. Control your insulin spikes and you will make your body regulate when to eat.

Protein also provides the body with essential amino acids and satiation. Only 42% of protein COULD be turned into glycogen via glucogenesis. Yes insulin is spiked there is no where near as much pressure on the GI tract as there is when you eat carbs. Carbs are also very inflammatory on your body.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Endocrinologists are not Dietitians. Just because you go to medical school doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. Find a good dietitian if your're concerned about what you eat. If not, eat LESS of it, exercise and reap the benefit of weight loss.
  • ndj1979

Protein also provides the body with essential amino acids and satiation. Only 42% of protein COULD be turned into glycogen via glucogenesis. Yes insulin is spiked there is no where near as much pressure on the GI tract as there is when you eat carbs. Carbs are also very inflammatory on your body.

so you should eat zero carbs then?????????

I would be curious to review some peer review literature on the "carbs are inflammatory" statement…

also, OP will lose weight by just eating in a deficit. Eliminating whole food groups has nothing to do with it...
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    I would find out why exactly he thinks you should cut out those foods. Is he simply trying to give advice on how you can lose those 15 pounds? If yes... Then I would say you are safe ignoring him and simply eating at a deficit. Start logging your food. If you already are, just tighten up on your weighing/measuring and calorie intake. But before you dismiss it entirely, make sure you know why exactly he's recommending it. Don't do anything stupid.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    perhaps it is because you are applying your unique situation to everyone and advising them to avoid "added sugar" and what not. News flash - your body does not distinguish between added sugar, natural sugar, sugar from heaven, or sugar from hell.it is just well, sugar...

But do you agree that a person can have too much sugar. Say for instance, a day of eating things like Coco Pops, fast foods, donuts, coke and lollies.

Too much, too little or just the right amount are all possible - all of which will vary and needs to be in context of the person and the overall diet and lifestyle. I recently had a day when I ate almost 4,500 calories (mostly from sugar and carbs) and it did me the power of good. Because it was in context of that day and my particular dietary needs that day.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    [/quote]

sugar is not the devil.

[/quote]

For a lot of people it is 100% of their diet and then sugar is the devil. Too much can not be good for you. For me I get the headache from hell.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited October 2014

sugar is not the devil.

For a lot of people it is 100% of their diet and then sugar is the devil. Too much can not be good for you. For me I get the headache from hell.

"A lot" of people? I have never in my life met one person whose entire diet is fast food, soda, coco pops, donuts, and lollies. Not one.
  • agrasso88
    agrasso88 Posts: 33 Member

so you should eat zero carbs then?????????

I would be curious to review some peer review literature on the "carbs are inflammatory" statement…

also, OP will lose weight by just eating in a deficit. Eliminating whole food groups has nothing to do with it...

Not zero carbs, but carbs only coming from non starchy vegetable sources. I eat 8-10 serves of vegetables, more than most on high carb eating plans. They provide the micronutrients I need to be healthy. Starchy carbs, bread, pasta and rice provide zero nutritional benefit apart from a short supply of energy and a cost efficient calorie source. There is no such thing as an essential carb. But the body needs essential amino acids from protein and essential fatty acids to transport nutrients and repair cells.

As for a study on inflammation this was published a few months ago.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140508095415.htm

Whilst this is is an opinionated webpage, check the references it cites for more reading.
    http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2012/03/27/inflammation-which-foods-take-the-blame/
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    I strongly disagree with ignoring what your doctor said... If you disagree with his advice then i would get another opinion. i would not, however, just be my own doctor. I dont know about everyone else here, but im not a doctor, i cant claim to know whats healthy for you. talk to another doctor but do not play doctor by yourself.
    +1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Really? Never met one of these people in all my 54 years.
    And by the same logic as I'm severly allergic to penicillin is that also the devil and everyone should avoid it?
  • LeenaGee
    [/quote]

"A lot" of people? I have never in my life met one person whose entire diet is fast food, soda, coco pops, donuts, and lollies. Not one. [/quote]

"Not one" - You need to check out druggies, the homeless, lots of teenagers and people on welfare and the next time you go shopping, have a look in people's trolleys and look around you and check out the size of half the population. They didn't get obese by eating meat and veggies. I know people who live on Mrs Mac's pies and nothing but junk and don't even know anything about nutrition and feed their kids coke from a baby bottle. Check the child's smile and see the rotting teeth. I know people whose breakfast is a sniff from a plastic bag full of glue.

Of course there are people who live on that type of food. You just don't live in their world so please don't tell me "Not one" as you have no idea of the poverty and poor nutrition due to lack of knowledge and money. You choose to ignore it but it exists and worst than you can possibly imagine. Do you think a druggie has a balance meal??
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    OP, you're getting older. It happens. You can't eat as much when you're older as when you're younger if you don't up the activity a bit. Up your activity, weight train to preserve/increase muscle, and eat a little less.

Ignore the Paleo nonsense because it's complete nonsense. Your doctor gave you that list of foods because most of them generally have a high calorie, low nutrient profile. Except potatoes, which are a great source of potassium.

Paleo's nonsense. Sugar isn't the devil, and most people have psychosomatic hang-ups about food. Also, doctors like to take shortcuts when it comes to nutrition. It's a whole lot easier to say "avoid" rather than "moderate." Like all good elitists, docs tend to think that the rest of us are too dumb to figure out moderation.
  • LeenaGee
    Sorry HotMamainWor, could you clarify which quote you are referring to.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I think the doctor is being lazy. Rather than taking the time to explain calorie deficit, he just listed a few of the foods that people generally eat too much of and called it a day. OP, you don't have to cut all those foods out of your diet. If there's nothing wrong with you medically, you've just been eating more than you realized. Start tracking your cals, figure out your TDEE, and eat at a deficit. Considering you don't have a history of excess weight and issues with food, etc., it shouldn't be too hard to get back to your old weight. Good luck. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I'm guessing this was this doctor's suggestion of one way to lose weight.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    So if you are "healthy as a horse" what was the doctors reason for having you cut out the foods you listed? I would understand him telling you to cut out certain foods if there was a medical reason for it but if there is not why can you not have them?

Things like this just go to show that most doctors, while being very knowledgeable of the human body when it comes to most illnesses, really have no clue about how the body works relating to fat loss or muscle gain.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited October 2014

"A lot" of people? I have never in my life met one person whose entire diet is fast food, soda, coco pops, donuts, and lollies. Not one.
    "Not one" - You need to check out druggies, the homeless, lots of teenagers and people on welfare and the next time you go shopping, have a look in people's trolleys and look around you and check out the size of half the population. They didn't get obese by eating meat and veggies. I know people who live on Mrs Mac's pies and nothing but junk and don't even know anything about nutrition and feed their kids coke from a baby bottle. Check the child's smile and see the rotting teeth. I know people whose breakfast is a sniff from a plastic bag full of glue.

Of course there are people who live on that type of food. You just don't live in their world so please don't tell me "Not one" as you have no idea of the poverty and poor nutrition due to lack of knowledge and money. You choose to ignore it but it exists and worst than you can possibly imagine. Do you think a druggie has a balance meal??

Oh, so you're one of those people who takes an extreme example and uses it to try and generalize about a whole population. I see.

Well, I know "druggies" that do, in fact, eat balanced meals. If I were you I guess I'd use that example to say "you're the wrongest ever!" But I know that personal anecdotal evidence and singular extreme experiences don't apply generally, so I won't.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    So if you are "healthy as a horse" what was the doctors reason for having you cut out the foods you listed? I would understand him telling you to cut out certain foods if there was a medical reason for it but if there is not why can you not have them?

Things like this just go to show that most doctors, while being very knowledgeable of the human body when it comes to most illnesses, really have no clue about how the body works relating to fat loss or muscle gain.

Maybe the doctor meant "healthy as a prediabetic horse".
    I would ask for the blood panel results...