Addicted to sugar

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ccb1128 wrote: »

You not wanting to be bothered doing the leg work of a simple search tells me plenty. Seems you haven't done the research to comment one way or the other.
    Anyway.. sugar does have a physical, mental and emotional impact.

Obviously there is a plethora of info out there, but here are some easy ones. Here you go...

Lustig (but you already know that)
    SUGAR BLUES by William Dufty
    http://chriskresser.com/is-refined-sugar-really-toxic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMWeRj77aWk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMjKEncojQ
    robbwolf.com/2012/12/21/sugar-drug/

Nah, I have done the research, but if you make the bold claim, then there is an expectation that you can back it up. Lustig is a joke in the fitness community and have been fully debunked in most of his biases research.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

The plausibility of sugar addiction and its role in obesity and eating disorders - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20056521

"There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders."

Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

"The evidence supports the hypothesis that under certain circumstances rats can become sugar dependent. This may translate to some human conditions as suggested by the literature on eating disorders and obesity."

And for fun here is an article which links to even more research: http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

• ccb1128
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You all are crazy to think sugar addiction doesn't exist. Sugar is a drug, just like heroin is drug. Opium gets refined to morphine which is further refined to a white chemical called heroin. Sugar cane is refined down to molasses which then gets further refined down to.. yep, a white chemical called sugar. Both reek havoc on our brains & systems. Methadone is another drug created to (unsuccessfully) combat heroin addiction, just like Insulin is now replicated in a lab to (unsuccessfully) combat sugar addicition. Don't believe me? Start reading anything you can get your hands on about it, and see for yourself.

Oh brother.

Lustig, is that you?

Ok, don't believe? Try giving it up. Do it for 3 days, and then tell me it was easy and that you didn't have any withdraw like symptoms & no cravings.
    Have you ever been addicted to heroin or cocaine or morphine? Can you tell me what it's like to kick that habit and how it's similar to sugar? Please be as descriptive as possible. And don't worry I will be able to relate personally from your description of being addicted one of them.

Let me be clear, I do believe sugar is a drug, like heroin is also a drug, and I believe people (myself included) suffer withdraw symptoms when they quit. Not once did I compare the severity of symptoms between the two. As I said though, I do think sugar does wreak havoc on the brain & body & prolonged use will cause multitudes of medical issues.
  • ccb1128
    Options
    Also, this is great..
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepXBJjsNxs

• psuLemon
    Options
    You all are crazy to think sugar addiction doesn't exist. Sugar is a drug, just like heroin is drug. Opium gets refined to morphine which is further refined to a white chemical called heroin. Sugar cane is refined down to molasses which then gets further refined down to.. yep, a white chemical called sugar. Both reek havoc on our brains & systems. Methadone is another drug created to (unsuccessfully) combat heroin addiction, just like Insulin is now replicated in a lab to (unsuccessfully) combat sugar addicition. Don't believe me? Start reading anything you can get your hands on about it, and see for yourself.

Oh brother.

Lustig, is that you?

Ok, don't believe? Try giving it up. Do it for 3 days, and then tell me it was easy and that you didn't have any withdraw like symptoms & no cravings.
    Have you ever been addicted to heroin or cocaine or morphine? Can you tell me what it's like to kick that habit and how it's similar to sugar? Please be as descriptive as possible. And don't worry I will be able to relate personally from your description of being addicted one of them.

Let me be clear, I do believe sugar is a drug, like heroin is also a drug, and I believe people (myself included) suffer withdraw symptoms when they quit. Not once did I compare the severity of symptoms between the two. As I said though, I do think sugar does wreak havoc on the brain & body & prolonged use will cause multitudes of medical issues.

How specifically does sugar wreck havoc on the brain, especially since the brains runs off of glucose, aka sugar.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Oh brother.

Lustig, is that you?

Probably a brain cloud, it happens all the time, I would talk to a physician.

• psuLemon
    Options

You not wanting to be bothered doing the leg work of a simple search tells me plenty. Seems you haven't done the research to comment one way or the other.

Obviously there is a plethora of info out there, but here are some easy ones. Here you go...

Did you actually read or listen to this videos because this one in particular goes against your beliefs:

"White sugar and HFCS are not “toxins” in the sense that even small amounts are highly undesirable and potentially harmful. Excess refined sugar can have undesirable health effects, but its addictive power is not comparable to a drug, and HFCS isn’t that much different from table sugar. Some people may be highly sensitive to even small amounts of sugar, often due to severe gut dysbiosis, and in this case they’re justified in avoiding it vigilantly.

But barring extreme sensitivity, there’s no evidence to indicate that refined sugar (or HFCS) is actually toxic in moderate amounts, and most people would be better off avoiding the stress that comes from being unnecessarily fearful of any food that has even a trace amount of refined sugar in it.

Sugar is neither a toxin nor a replacement for real food. Ultimately, small amounts of sugar can fit into a whole foods, nutrient-dense, healthy diet, as long as you recognize it for what it truly is: a treat."
  • ccb1128
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Did you actually read or listen to this videos because this one in particular goes against your beliefs:

"White sugar and HFCS are not “toxins” in the sense that even small amounts are highly undesirable and potentially harmful. Excess refined sugar can have undesirable health effects, but its addictive power is not comparable to a drug, and HFCS isn’t that much different from table sugar. Some people may be highly sensitive to even small amounts of sugar, often due to severe gut dysbiosis, and in this case they’re justified in avoiding it vigilantly.

But barring extreme sensitivity, there’s no evidence to indicate that refined sugar (or HFCS) is actually toxic in moderate amounts, and most people would be better off avoiding the stress that comes from being unnecessarily fearful of any food that has even a trace amount of refined sugar in it.

Sugar is neither a toxin nor a replacement for real food. Ultimately, small amounts of sugar can fit into a whole foods, nutrient-dense, healthy diet, as long as you recognize it for what it truly is: a treat."

I do understand that Chris Kresser doesn't believe it's addictive & not everyone does, but he does make really good points about it's effects.
    While I still believe it's addictive, I believe good research on the subject is important and I search it out when/where I can. I think Chris Kresser's research on nutrition is excellent & I thought it was worth sharing.
  • ccb1128
    Options

Oh brother.

Lustig, is that you?

How specifically does sugar wreck havoc on the brain, especially since the brains runs off of glucose, aka sugar.

"Fructose-fed rats showed signs of resistance to insulin, a hormone that controls your blood sugar and synaptic function in your brain.

Because insulin is able to pass through your blood-brain barrier, it can trigger neurological processes that are important for learning and memory. Consuming large amounts of fructose may block insulin's ability to regulate how your brain cells store and use sugar for the energy needed to fuel thoughts and emotions." Dr. Joseph Mercola
  • psuLemon
    Options

I do understand that Chris Kresser doesn't believe it's addictive & not everyone does, but he does make really good points about it's effects.
    While I still believe it's addictive, I believe good research on the subject is important and I search it out when/where I can. I think Chris Kresser's research on nutrition is excellent & I thought it was worth sharing.

I don't believe anyone here would dispute his claims that sugar shouldn't be a large part of a diet because it won't provide your body with a lot of nutrients. We are just dumbfounded how you can suggest we are all crazy for not believing that sugar can be addicting and is equivalent to cocaine and heroin. And then in a the same paragraph, you provide a reputable source that suggest the contrary.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2014
    Options

"Fructose-fed rats showed signs of resistance to insulin, a hormone that controls your blood sugar and synaptic function in your brain.

Because insulin is able to pass through your blood-brain barrier, it can trigger neurological processes that are important for learning and memory. Consuming large amounts of fructose may block insulin's ability to regulate how your brain cells store and use sugar for the energy needed to fuel thoughts and emotions." Dr. Joseph Mercola

Link? But you do realize that Dr. Mecola is also under investigation for wrongful claims? It appears that your sources of information tend to be with extremist/alarmist and aren't supported by the fitness community at large.

if you reference page 4 you will see several studies from other sources that will provide similar support with Kessler.

• ccb1128
    Options

Oh brother.

Lustig, is that you?

Sugar wreaks havoc on our brain but yet it needs it? What is prolonged use and what are these multitude of medical problems? Can you tell us what those medical problems are?

How do you know what a heroin withdrawal feels like that you can compare it to a "sugar withdrawl"? When you quit sugar did you have to call out from work because you couldn't stop vomiting or get rid of the body aches or cold sweats? Did you call out sick from work because you hadn't slept in days?

CCB, address the questions above please.

I actually did at 11:30, this was my response.

"Let me be clear, I do believe sugar is a drug, like heroin is also a drug, and I believe people (myself included) suffer withdraw symptoms when they quit. Not once did I compare the severity of symptoms between the two. As I said though, I do think sugar does wreak havoc on the brain & body & prolonged use will cause multitudes of medical issues."

My symptoms, while not the severe symptoms you described above, included cravings, mood swings, irritablity etc.
    As far as medical problems go, I don't think it's any secret it leads to obesity, diabetes, etc. I'm not going list references for that though.. we've all seen it.
  • psuLemon
    Options

"Let me be clear, I do believe sugar is a drug, like heroin is also a drug, and I believe people (myself included) suffer withdraw symptoms when they quit. Not once did I compare the severity of symptoms between the two. As I said though, I do think sugar does wreak havoc on the brain & body & prolonged use will cause multitudes of medical issues."

My symptoms, while not the severe symptoms you described above, included cravings, mood swings, irritablity etc.
    As far as medical problems go, I don't think it's any secret it leads to obesity, diabetes, etc. I'm not going list references for that though.. we've all seen it.

To be clear though, so newbies don't get confused or people who are just reading this.. these views are personal and not founded by science (youtube blogs and John Oliver who are hilarious are not scientific sources).

And obesity is caused by too many calories. Diabetes is caused by obesity and genetics.
  • ccb1128
    Options

Link? But you do realize that Dr. Mecola is also under investigation for wrongful claims? It appears that your sources of information tend to be with extremist/alarmist and aren't supported by the fitness community at large.

if you reference page 4 you will see several studies from other sources that will provide similar support with Kessler.

Here:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/09/02/fructose-affects-brain-health.aspx

I'm also not in the least suprised he is under investigation being that he is very critical of Big Pharma.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

To be clear though, so newbies don't get confused or people who are just reading this.. these views are personal and not founded by science (youtube blogs and John Oliver who are hilarious are not scientific sources).

And obesity is caused by too many calories. Diabetes is caused by obesity and genetics.

Just a little more specific:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/basics/risk-factors/con-20033091

Risk factors for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes

Researchers don't fully understand why some people develop prediabetes and type 2 diabetes and others don't. It's clear that certain factors increase the risk, however, including:

Weight. The more fatty tissue you have, the more resistant your cells become to insulin.
    Inactivity. The less active you are, the greater your risk. Physical activity helps you control your weight, uses up glucose as energy and makes your cells more sensitive to insulin.

Family history. Your risk increases if a parent or sibling has type 2 diabetes.

Race. Although it's unclear why, people of certain races — including blacks, Hispanics, American Indians and Asian-Americans — are at higher risk
    Age. Your risk increases as you get older. This may be because you tend to exercise less, lose muscle mass and gain weight as you age. But type 2 diabetes is also increasing dramatically among children, adolescents and younger adults
    Gestational diabetes. If you developed gestational diabetes when you were pregnant, your risk of developing prediabetes and type 2 diabetes later increases. If you gave birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds (4 kilograms), you're also at risk of type 2 diabetes
    Polycystic ovary syndrome. For women, having polycystic ovary syndrome — a common condition characterized by irregular menstrual periods, excess hair growth and obesity — increases the risk of diabetes.

High blood pressure. Having blood pressure over 140/90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) is linked to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

Abnormal cholesterol and triglyceride levels. If you have low levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol, your risk of type 2 diabetes is higher.
    Triglycerides are another type of fat carried in the blood. People with high levels of triglycerides have an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.
  • ccb1128
    Options

Agreed about the personal views.
    We disagree again about obesity and "too many calories" thing. That's another debate altogether.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Sounds like my mother trying to convince me that fruit is bad for me because it's all sugar.

Ignorance is bliss they say.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my mother trying to convince me that fruit is bad for me because it's all sugar.

Ignorance is bliss they say.

Seriously. My mom once told me that eating pineapple was exactly the same as eating a chocolate bar. Yes, pineapple has a lot of sugar in it, but its not "exactly the same".