Addicted to sugar

Options
1234568»

Replies

• dawnveltman1
    Options
    Me too. I still find ways to get it in -- drinking protein shakes and supplements, eating flavored oatmeal packets, and even eating Kashi dark chocolate cookies when I have a craving, and usually stay well under my caloric requirements. I also work out 2+ hours most days (5 of 7), so maybe that's why I'm still losing.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    abcmommyx3 wrote: »
    Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous look up this group they work with people who are addicted to sugar

It's a group dedicated to people who are addicted to food. While I have just browsed a few areas of their website, I haven't seen a single reference to sugar.

It's there on the FA Facts Page:

"Food addicts have an allergy to flour, sugar and quantities that sets up an uncontrollable craving. The problem can be arrested a day at a time by the action of our weighing and measuring our food and abstaining completely from all flour and sugar. FA defines abstinence as weighed and measured meals with nothing in between, no flour, no sugar and the avoidance of any individual binge foods."

Very alarmist, anti-scientific stuff I would expect from a 12 Step program that follows the AA model.

Yea, very alarmist because one cannot function without some level of sugar.

psulemon do you have a link that supports that one can not function with out some level of sugar? Or that even carbs are required to live a productive working that is very physical in nature?

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous look up this group they work with people who are addicted to sugar

It's a group dedicated to people who are addicted to food. While I have just browsed a few areas of their website, I haven't seen a single reference to sugar.

"Food addicts have an allergy to flour, sugar and quantities that sets up an uncontrollable craving. The problem can be arrested a day at a time by the action of our weighing and measuring our food and abstaining completely from all flour and sugar. FA defines abstinence as weighed and measured meals with nothing in between, no flour, no sugar and the avoidance of any individual binge foods."

Very alarmist, anti-scientific stuff I would expect from a 12 Step program that follows the AA model[\b].

I have no opinion but why do you feel that way about 12step programs?

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

Very alarmist, anti-scientific stuff I would expect from a 12 Step program that follows the AA model[\b].

I will gladly discuss in PMs if you would like I think it would go to far OT otherwise.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

I will gladly discuss in PMs if you would like I think it would go to far OT otherwise.

Thank you, that is a good idea. I will pm you
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it was already stated, my apologies if it was. Have you set your macros up and are you concentrating on your protein yet? I have never conquered my sugar addiction but I'm way better than I was when my body was in the 300s&200s. Also I set up my macros to show my carbs/fiber so that I can figure out my nets in carbs rather than actual sugar. I go red in sugar just with produce alone, if I am tracking sugar vs. carbs. All the best to you You're in great company and I'm certain you can improve it. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    50sFit wrote: »
    Just don't eat it. As simple as it sounds... it is. Don't buy it. And don't have it in the house. That's it.
    ^^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    Everybody is addicted to sugar. Without it, we all would die. Sugar keeps our bodies functioning. The problem is not so much sugar but processed foods with added refined sugar. Naturally occurring sugars, such as those found in fruit, come from sources that benefit your diet.
    • SOLUTION: If man makes it, don't eat it.
    Eat lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, beans, whole grains and raw dairy.
    You're not helpless. Just make this happen, and good luck!
    <3
    Sugar is sugar whether it comes in fruit or you put sugar in your coffee. Your body does not know the difference. You don't gain weight from eating too much sugar, you gain from eating too much overall.

Moderation in all things, unless you cannot eat certain things because you doctor has told you not due for medical reasons.

And, this from a girl who truly believed that she was addicted to sugar until she learned how to use the moderation tool.
    Moderation is a nice concept but does not work for an alcoholic or others with addictive personalities when it comes to certain things. Such people need to just stay away from whatever triggers that compulsive nature.
    I'm sorry for not responding sooner, but I just came back to this thread after awhile of not looking at it.

That may be true for some people with addictive personalities, but not all. I know lots of recovering alcoholics and/or recovery alcoholics and they practice moderation with food.

Besides, I don't believe that alcohol and drug addictions have nothing to do with eating too much sugar. They are two different ballgames.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ccb1128 wrote: »
    You all are crazy to think sugar addiction doesn't exist. Sugar is a drug, just like heroin is drug. Opium gets refined to morphine which is further refined to a white chemical called heroin. Sugar cane is refined down to molasses which then gets further refined down to.. yep, a white chemical called sugar. Both reek havoc on our brains & systems. Methadone is another drug created to (unsuccessfully) combat heroin addiction, just like Insulin is now replicated in a lab to (unsuccessfully) combat sugar addicition. Don't believe me? Start reading anything you can get your hands on about it, and see for yourself.
    Nah. It's not.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Very alarmist, anti-scientific stuff I would expect from a 12 Step program that follows the AA model.

Yea, very alarmist because one cannot function without some level of sugar.

psulemon do you have a link that supports that one can not function with out some level of sugar? Or that even carbs are required to live a productive working that is very physical in nature?

I have yet to see any literature that would support a literal zero level of carbs. I have seen this :http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/5/951.2.full

But a zero level (no fruit, veggies, grains, even some supplements) would be practically impossible and another extreme case use in an invalid argument.