Sugar Problems

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere carbs should only be eaten with protein but I find cutting carbs helps since it is the carbs that we eat become stored as fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    helenanj wrote: »
    Hi All!

My name is Helena. This is my third time on Fitness Pal. I've been doing okay not tracking food/exercise for a while but not lately, as extra 11lbs are now showing.

I eat well, trying to stick to the 80/20 rule. My one problem seems to be the sugar intake. It's usually simple sugars from fruit but still. How do I eat my fruits and veggies without going over my sugar limits?

Whenever I track my food intake I am usually well under my calorie limit but over my sugars.

What am I doing wrong?
    Do you have any ideas for veg/fruit/snack foods low in sugar?
    Please help!
    :)

Thank you!
    Hi Helena!

I haven't read the rest of the replies, but....

I don't understand why you see sugar as the problem to your weight gain.

I can understand cutting down on foods with sugars if it makes you physically feel bad, or it's triggering binges, and especially if you have certain medical conditions, but sugar is not the reason your or anybody gains weight.

If you have 11 extra pounds it means you have been eating--calorie wise--enough to support that weight gain. Losing it would mean eating less all around which is simply portion control.

I don't konw...I have my sugar I just eat less of it. In other words, I don't need to eat two bananas, a huge piece of cake, four cookies, two servings of ice cream, but I can eat one banana, a small piece of cake, one or two cookies, one serving of ice cream (and not all in one sitting. :smiley: ).

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Not sugar, fruit, that was a mistake.
    I don't think so.. Please explain why.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    One thing you could do would be to track calories, protein, carbs, fat, and fiber, then from there make sure you come reasonably close to your goals, select about 80% whole and minimally refined foods, and stop tracking sugar entirely.
    Yes, agree with this statement. Apart from all these tactic you also have to drink lots of water, because this is the only factor through which we can easily get all the benefits and can be stay away from many issues.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I read somewhere carbs should only be eaten with protein but I find cutting carbs helps since it is the carbs that we eat become stored as fat.

Netting over maintenance causes fat storage. It's not just the carbs that get stored as fat.

Over half of protein can get converted to glucose and stored as fat by the body we know but I expect most all of my body fat came from mainly CARBS.

Cutting carbs is the only way most serious weight loss occurs and will stay off. That is why the high carb/low fat diets are killing so many today vs a low carb/high fat diet. Until the last 100 years refined carbs were not an issue because they were not around plus we burnt more of the carbs we ate so there were fewer to store.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Netting over maintenance causes fat storage. It's not just the carbs that get stored as fat.

Over half of protein can get converted to glucose and stored as fat by the body we know but I expect most all of my body fat came from mainly CARBS.

Cutting carbs is the only way most serious weight loss occurs and will stay off. That is why the high carb/low fat diets are killing so many today vs a low carb/high fat diet. Until the last 100 years refined carbs were not an issue because they were not around plus we burnt more of the carbs we ate so there were fewer to store.

The Blue Zones eat high carb/low fat (some up tp 90% carb intake) and have the healthiest populations with the most centenarians
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/
    "Carbohydrates are rarely converted to fat (a process called de novo lipogenesis) under normal dietary conditions. There are exceptions when this occurs. One is with massive chronic overfeeding of carbs. I’m talking 700-900 grams of carbs per day for multiple days. Under those conditions, carbs max out glycogen stores, are in excess of total daily energy requirements and you see the conversion of carbohydrate to fat for storage. But this is not a normal dietary situation for most people."
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

WTH??

Carbohydrates, Protein and Fat all have a caloric value. Separately or together they can be stored in the fat cells. Neither one on its own is going to contribute more to fat gain. Once they are broke down through the digestion process they are no longer carbohydrates, fat or protein.

Fat is gained when you eat more calories worth of those than your body burns. Period, that is the end of the discussion. The only way that isn't true is with certain medical conditions that a small percentage of the population has. So, it does not apply to general discussion.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

The Blue Zones eat high carb/low fat (some up tp 90% carb intake) and have the healthiest populations with the most centenarians
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/
    "Carbohydrates are rarely converted to fat (a process called de novo lipogenesis) under normal dietary conditions. There are exceptions when this occurs. One is with massive chronic overfeeding of carbs. I’m talking 700-900 grams of carbs per day for multiple days. Under those conditions, carbs max out glycogen stores, are in excess of total daily energy requirements and you see the conversion of carbohydrate to fat for storage. But this is not a normal dietary situation for most people."

Thanks Eric I will check that out.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    *sigh* yet another keto hijack, must have something to do with the word "sugar" or something.
  • mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Getting back to the OP's question; It cant be emphasized enough the different between sugar occurring naturally in fruits and veggies, and added sugars like granular table sugar, HFCS, etc. If you are going over your sugar intake, but all of your sugar is coming from sources like fruits and veggies, than that is great!

But if you are regularly consuming things like crackers, salad dressings, mayo, mustard, ketchup, white bread, flavored yogurts, juice, sports drinks, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, instant oatmeal, soups, sodas, sugary cereals, etc, then that may be a hidden source of added sugars and causing your sugar intake to go over.

Whenever possible, make sure your sugars aren't added, but coming from natural sources!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »

WTH??

Carbohydrates, Protein and Fat all have a caloric value. Separately or together they can be stored in the fat cells. Neither one on its own is going to contribute more to fat gain. Once they are broke down through the digestion process they are no longer carbohydrates, fat or protein.

Fat is gained when you eat more calories worth of those than your body burns. Period, that is the end of the discussion. The only way that isn't true is with certain medical conditions that a small percentage of the population has. So, it does not apply to general discussion.

ksy1969 a calorie is a calorie in lab tests I agree and was the thought by MD's starting back in the 60's especially. However in the body one type calorie can trigger a different response/result can another calorie of energy. The pathway for a long chain triglyceride can be very different from say a medium chain triglyceride of example.

Processed carbs (man altered) just like Genetically Modified Food stuffs (man altered) can be a very different ball game when put into the body. How the body reacts to different types of calories is just being studied in some expensive research projects in the USA as we type using funds not from the makers of processed carbs and GM foods.

The human body is much smarter and complex than man's understanding of it today. Just learning that our fat cells communicate with our brains by way of hormones was recently news to me. What happens to any calorie put into my body may not be the same as if the same calorie worth of energy was put into your body.

There is no evidence today that a calorie is a calorie inside a human body come hell or high water. Man is moving to learn this info but it is not in print that I can find today.

Most of the posts here including mine have an emotional component that taints them. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mdboss10 wrote: »
    Getting back to the OP's question; It cant be emphasized enough the different between sugar occurring naturally in fruits and veggies, and added sugars like granular table sugar, HFCS, etc. If you are going over your sugar intake, but all of your sugar is coming from sources like fruits and veggies, than that is great!

But if you are regularly consuming things like crackers, salad dressings, mayo, mustard, ketchup, white bread, flavored yogurts, juice, sports drinks, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, instant oatmeal, soups, sodas, sugary cereals, etc, then that may be a hidden source of added sugars and causing your sugar intake to go over.

Whenever possible, make sure your sugars aren't added, but coming from natural sources!
    Your body cannot tell the difference between "natural" sugar and "fake sugar" as they are practically the same chemical composition.

And of your list, I have almost all of those in my diary and never have had issues with losing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

WTH??

ksy1969 a calorie is a calorie in lab tests I agree and was the thought by MD's starting back in the 60's especially. However in the body one type calorie can trigger a different response/result can another calorie of energy. The pathway for a long chain triglyceride can be very different from say a medium chain triglyceride of example.

Processed carbs (man altered) just like Genetically Modified Food stuffs (man altered) can be a very different ball game when put into the body. How the body reacts to different types of calories is just being studied in some expensive research projects in the USA as we type using funds not from the makers of processed carbs and GM foods.

The human body is much smarter and complex than man's understanding of it today. Just learning that our fat cells communicate with our brains by way of hormones was recently news to me. What happens to any calorie put into my body may not be the same as if the same calorie worth of energy was put into your body.

There is no evidence today that a calorie is a calorie inside a human body come hell or high water. Man is moving to learn this info but it is not in print that I can find today.

Most of the posts here including mine have an emotional component that taints them. :smile:

Weight loss is fairly simple and I don't understand why we try to make it harder than rocket science.

And you can bet there is very little difference between an orange and a seedless orange (which is GMO) in terms of digestion or processing.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

WTH??

My point is, you are over complicating the issue Gale. STOP!!!!!!! Because of people like you there are crazy fads and supplements that don't do squat but people try them because you talk all this nonsense. Lets go through the basics first. Then if weight loss is not working we can look at other options. Problem is, no one wants to follow the basics. They want some magical answer.

Every time I see someone that hasn't seen my weight loss, I am asked how I lost my weight. When I answer tracking calories and exercise I get a dumb founded look and then the comment "really?". I actually got this from a new doctor I seen the other day since my previous GP retired. The look on his face was shock. He then proceeds to tell me, "I know you know what you are doing since you lost so much weight, but here is the best way.." and he starts giving me the line of cutting out potatoes, rice etc.... WTH, I just proved to him that counting calories and eating in moderation works, but he still didn't believe me.

It happens all the time.

• wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

That is completely untrue. People who lose a lot of weight and keep it off do it in many different ways. For more information, check out the National Weight Control Registry: http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

Among their findings:

"There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity"

I also don't know of any studies suggesting that high carb/ low fat is directly linked to killing people or that low carb/ high fat diets are linked to saving lives. Research strongly suggests that any type of diet that results in weight loss will improve a person's cholesterol count, cardiac health, and maybe even longevity. It doesn't much matter how they did it.

In fact, the American Heart Association still suggests a low fat diet to combat heart disease (http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp). Which is interesting since cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer in the US and in the world. I know there has been a lot of discussion recently about whether or not certain types of fats are as bad as we thought, etc, but eating too much of them still isn't any better for you than it is to eat too much of anything else.
  • mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    mdboss10 wrote: »

Your body cannot tell the difference between "natural" sugar and "fake sugar" as they are practically the same chemical composition.

And of your list, I have almost all of those in my diary and never have had issues with losing.

Actually, there is a difference. The difference is the vehicle in which the sugar is delivered. When sugar is consumed from fruit, its delivered with vitamins, nutrients, and most importantly fiber. These all help ensure your blood sugar rises nice and slowly. This means only a little insulin is needed to even out your blood sugar and your pancreases doesn't have to go into overdrive.

When you consume added sugar from, lets say a soda, there are no vitamins, nutrients, or fiber being delivered. This means your blood sugar levels spike quickly and your pancreas works really hard to deliver lots of insulin. Then, after this huge spike follows a big crash. When your blood sugar crashes, you are hungry, tired, and craving any sweet or carb to make you feel better. After 30, 40, or 50 years of this spike and crash cycle, your insulin because ineffective and your pancreas craps out = type 2 diabetes.

Its not so much about weight loss, its about taking care of your self, being healthy, and being gentle with your body.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins I understand where you are coming from to a point. My understanding is that you have a serious condition, AS, that seems to be caused by a microbe that feeds on startchy foods and thus there is logic in thinking that a low carb diet can be a helpful control. I wouldn't wish AS on anyone so you have my full support and I wish you the best in controlling it. I really do hope that you have found something that will drastically improve your quality of life as you believe it will.

That being said you seem to have gotten side tracked into a lot of unproven stuff from marginal people who are not very credible in the field of nutrition and much of what you say flies in the face of what has been proven for decades and is still being demonstrated in scientific study. Perhaps you should take that energy and passion you have developed for nutrition and learn the fundamentals of the science rather than listening to those who are not credible.

It think you will find that what many here say is really what we know from the current body of knowledge and that many of the "experts" that you have been reading are just noise that needs to be filtered out.

I wish you luck as you continue your fight against AS.