Sugar Problems

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Helena finally I just gave up fruit at this time and anything with added sugar. These notes on this book below finally helped me grasp that sugar is my heroin and that I had to let it go to live a fuller life. Best wishes. The sugar demon is a killer for me.

http://lowerthought.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/notes-to-good-calories-bad-calories.pdf

Gary Taubes "research" has been thoroughly debunked for quite some time. The only time I would worry about sugar is when its taking away from other nutrients. Eating candy or "empty calories" won't harm you if the rest of your diet is on par. In the end, total diet context is necessary because the only thing wrong with sugar is that it doesn't really have any nutritional value outside of some immediate energy.

Personally, I don't have a medical issue, so I don't worry about any type of sugars, but I concentrate on getting adequate nutrient dense food throughout my diet.

psulemom I am new to this subject (7 Aug 2014) and my research has been focused on managing my pain. Sugar makes my joints in my feet (well all over my body) very tender that makes walking painful. The coconut oil helps some but cutting out carbs (sugar especially) helps with pain manage even more.

It appears one who "debunked" Gary Taubes research has now stated that Gary was correct based on new studies and that he was wrong about sugar?

http://www.dietdoctor.com/i-was-wrong-you-were-right

I think all agree if one cuts out the carbs it could reduce the chance of high BP, cancer and other age related diseases.

One objective of cutting out my carbs (there will always be 'accidental' carbs) is to activate CMA or Chaperone Mediated Autophagy to see if it will help reverse my cataracts that started to form about 5 years ago and seem to be static since that time. Preventing macular degeneration would be a plus as well to clean up any being stage of cancer cancer cells. I hope to get new blood work soon to see if my numbers are better or worse from coconut oil/ketosis.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/ketosis-cleans-our-cells/

disagree..
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wheelhouse 15 thanks and I agree with you. I am looking forward to some scientific research on weight loss that can withstand peer review.

I have lost weight before and gained it back plus some. Any thing that works for one that does more good than harm sounds fine to me at this point. When I was 30-40 years old I could just reduce calories and drop pounds just fine. At 63 it is a different ball game in my case.

One thing that I learned years ago is that losing weight makes me feel bad and gaining weight makes me feel good in a physical sense. I now understand the toxic stuff stored in my fat comes back into my system when I lose weight so I can accept that pain that comes from losing weight. Since it is the liver that breaks down fat I expect I had a fatty liver that retarded the start of my weight starting down this last time because first it had to detox somehow perhaps.

At one point I thought anyone could cut pounds by eating less than they burn. Now I know take is the case if a person is relative healthy other than being overweight. I do think there in some cases we can have some toxic stuff stored away in our fat that the brain really does not want back into the bloodstream. :(

mdboss10 thanks for better stating what I wanted to say.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wheelhouse 15 thanks and I agree with you. I am looking forward to some scientific research on weight loss that can withstand peer review.

I have lost weight before and gained it back plus some. Any thing that works for one that does more good than harm sounds fine to me at this point. When I was 30-40 years old I could just reduce calories and drop pounds just fine. At 63 it is a different ball game in my case.

One thing that I learned years ago is that losing weight makes me feel bad and gaining weight makes me feel good in a physical sense. I now understand the toxic stuff stored in my fat comes back into my system when I lose weight so I can accept that pain that comes from losing weight. Since it is the liver that breaks down fat I expect I had a fatty liver that retarded the start of my weight starting down this last time because first it had to detox somehow perhaps.

At one point I thought anyone could cut pounds by eating less than they burn. Now I know take is the case if a person is relative healthy other than being overweight. I do think there in some cases we can have some toxic stuff stored away in our fat that the brain really does not want back into the bloodstream. :(

mdboss10 thanks for better stating what I wanted to say.

pardon??? The only toxic stuff in my sytem is my heavy meth addiction. Just kidding. Im perfectly free of TOXINSSSSSS
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    mdboss10 wrote: »
    Getting back to the OP's question; It cant be emphasized enough the different between sugar occurring naturally in fruits and veggies, and added sugars like granular table sugar, HFCS, etc. If you are going over your sugar intake, but all of your sugar is coming from sources like fruits and veggies, than that is great!

But if you are regularly consuming things like crackers, salad dressings, mayo, mustard, ketchup, white bread, flavored yogurts, juice, sports drinks, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, instant oatmeal, soups, sodas, sugary cereals, etc, then that may be a hidden source of added sugars and causing your sugar intake to go over.

Whenever possible, make sure your sugars aren't added, but coming from natural sources!
    Your body cannot tell the difference between "natural" sugar and "fake sugar" as they are practically the same chemical composition.

And of your list, I have almost all of those in my diary and never have had issues with losing.

Actually, there is a difference. The difference is the vehicle in which the sugar is delivered. When sugar is consumed from fruit, its delivered with vitamins, nutrients, and most importantly fiber. These all help ensure your blood sugar rises nice and slowly. This means only a little insulin is needed to even out your blood sugar and your pancreases doesn't have to go into overdrive.

When you consume added sugar from, lets say a soda, there are no vitamins, nutrients, or fiber being delivered. This means your blood sugar levels spike quickly and your pancreas works really hard to deliver lots of insulin. Then, after this huge spike follows a big crash. When your blood sugar crashes, you are hungry, tired, and craving any sweet or carb to make you feel better. After 30, 40, or 50 years of this spike and crash cycle, your insulin because ineffective and your pancreas craps out = type 2 diabetes.

Its not so much about weight loss, its about taking care of your self, being healthy, and being gentle with your body.
    You need to do more research and not just repeat a few cliff notes that sound authoritative. There's a thing called context and dosage that most people that are against refined sugar, like you forget. First of all fruit are high GI foods and will spike insulin quicker than a rabbit chased by my dachshund. Secondly the spike you refer to is from participants that have fasted overnight and then fed 50g's of said carboydrate to show the effect on blood sugar. Basically any food that you either have in your system will be digesting so guzzling a pop is not going to somehow supersede that ongoing digestion and of course anyone could have a pop with other food and shazam no spiking, why, because there's other food consumed that effect digestion in that it slows down that process, and of course there's these really crazy people that do some pretty extensive cardio where quick digesting carbs, aka sugar is needed to be successful, even the overweight ones.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Getting back to the OP's question; It cant be emphasized enough the different between sugar occurring naturally in fruits and veggies, and added sugars like granular table sugar, HFCS, etc. If you are going over your sugar intake, but all of your sugar is coming from sources like fruits and veggies, than that is great!

But if you are regularly consuming things like crackers, salad dressings, mayo, mustard, ketchup, white bread, flavored yogurts, juice, sports drinks, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, instant oatmeal, soups, sodas, sugary cereals, etc, then that may be a hidden source of added sugars and causing your sugar intake to go over.

Whenever possible, make sure your sugars aren't added, but coming from natural sources!
    Your body cannot tell the difference between "natural" sugar and "fake sugar" as they are practically the same chemical composition.

And of your list, I have almost all of those in my diary and never have had issues with losing.

Actually, there is a difference. The difference is the vehicle in which the sugar is delivered. When sugar is consumed from fruit, its delivered with vitamins, nutrients, and most importantly fiber. These all help ensure your blood sugar rises nice and slowly. This means only a little insulin is needed to even out your blood sugar and your pancreases doesn't have to go into overdrive.

When you consume added sugar from, lets say a soda, there are no vitamins, nutrients, or fiber being delivered. This means your blood sugar levels spike quickly and your pancreas works really hard to deliver lots of insulin. Then, after this huge spike follows a big crash. When your blood sugar crashes, you are hungry, tired, and craving any sweet or carb to make you feel better. After 30, 40, or 50 years of this spike and crash cycle, your insulin because ineffective and your pancreas craps out = type 2 diabetes.

Its not so much about weight loss, its about taking care of your self, being healthy, and being gentle with your body.

I would highly recommend reading the below article. It discusses sugar in depth and is linked to several studies:

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

And to understand how insulin works and it's purpose: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

• GaleHawkins
    edited October 2014
    Options

I would highly recommend reading the below article. It discusses sugar in depth and is linked to several studies:

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

And to understand how insulin works and it's purpose: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

I see what I just posted was too long to be readable so I will try to edit and repost in part in the future.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Brain melt from so much broscience claptrap

It's like wading through treacle of unsubstantiated claims, incomplete research and this seems to make sense lets just say its true and sell our snake oil
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

I see what I just posted was too long to be readable so I will try to edit and repost in part in the future.

What you wrote wasn't too long, but we know the information is from very biases resources (Taubes, Lustig, Vokey, etc..) and these guys tend to cherry pick science to validate their own perception, even if the studies are completely ridiculous. And not only that, if you do not have a medical issue, most of these do not apply. My wife has a medical condition which requires her to be on a gluten free and low carb diet. It is a special requirement based off her medical condition. I do not have those same restrictions, and neither would any other person without the medical condition. So suggesting that fruit is bad or a little candy because it is for you, is quite ridiculous.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    What is OK for one may be toxic another I agree. Because we are biological and all are different in one way or another is why not all calories are equal once inside of our biological bodies. For health people a little candy is not a BAD thing just like a little alcohol is not a BAD thing unless one has control issues that causes one to not stop at a little. For some of us when we play with fire we wind up getting burnt.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You still to this date have failed to provide any evidence that calories are calories.

I wonder what that even means. Perhaps someone "in the community" can translate.
  • yarwell
    Options
    "provide any evidence that calories are calories" ??

A calorie is 4.18 kJ and has a well defined value, so I'm not sure what evidence you're looking for.
  • yarwell
    Options
    There's plenty of evidence that the macro composition has an effect beyond calories, isn't there ? Bray's 2012 overfeeding study for example to name but one. Or is your position that 700 calories of protein, ethanol, carbs or fat will all have the same effect on the body ?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical problem, you don't need to track sugars. By medical problem, I mean diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Even those with T2D or prediabetes are not told to watch their sugars but watch total carbs.

• yarwell
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I never said 700 calories of fat is equal to 700 of carbs or 700 of protein. You are assuming I'm saying something I'm not.

It was a question. You seem to be asking him to disprove "a calorie is a calorie" or provide evidence that all calories are not equal.

Do you believe that all calories are equal ?