Sugar Problems

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What is OK for one may be toxic another I agree. Because we are biological and all are different in one way or another is why not all calories are equal once inside of our biological bodies. For health people a little candy is not a BAD thing just like a little alcohol is not a BAD thing unless one has control issues that causes one to not stop at a little. For some of us when we play with fire we wind up getting burnt.
    You still to this date have failed to provide any evidence that calories are calories. You continue to spew nonsense.

MrM27 I have not seen any evidence that a calorie is a calorie in reference to food for humans.
    Go ahead and explain what you mean when you say a calorie is not a calorie.

I meant in a biological sense as it relates to human eating calories not just burning one in a lab with a burner. A calorie of protein only is a fraction of a calorie by the time it can be stored as fat where a carb will be closer to one calorie by the time it can be stored as fat.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Its very possible most of your fat storage came from excessive carbs, but only very possible if you were eating in a calorie surplus and a majority of your calorie intake from carbs - lol.

Yes, exactly.
    Also people eating a a high carb, low fat diet in a calorie deficit WILL lose weight. A high carb diet in a calorie deficit does not make you put on weight or get you fat. There are other health markers to take into consideration with a high carb diet, but in a calorie deficit weight gain is not one of them.

Agreed. Lots of people (including Gale) may find it more difficult to sustain a deficit, especially over time and without counting, if they do low fat, high carb without something more to keep them at it. I would.

(I think people who do 80 carb-10 fat-10 protein, raw or otherwise, which I wouldn't recommend or do, but which works for some, typically have something more, specifically their belief in the magic of what they are doing.)

I finally gave up on cutting cals to lose weight as for a lifetime since at 63 it has never worked long term. To address mainly my arthritis pain that was up to an 8-9 I flipped to something more like 80/15/5/% fat/protein/carbs. After four months only lost weight the third month (8 pounds) but before the weight loss I lost an inch in my belt during the first 8 weeks.

The pain is now a 2-3 after cutting the carbs (all added sugar) and staying in nutritional ketosis has given me higher levels of energy and the sugar cravings/afternoon slumps are gone.

Now I am studying the relationship of human hormones required to lose weight. The questions raised here have required a lot of reading to get the scientific background understanding. My brother has finished shelling his corn and I was doing some of the hauling with my Ford F700 16' flat dump and it is to wet/cold to run the our old backhoe where I am putting in an acre parking lot that had to be cleared of trees so I now have more time to study dieting.

Most forums have a way to track one's threads (tools) where you have posted but I have not figured out this site so I scan the most recent posts and just stumble back into old discussions in a hit or miss faction. If there a way to subscribe to a thread on this site?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You can subscribe by hitting the star on the thread. It's not a great system but it kind of works.
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    helenanj wrote: »
    Hi All!

My name is Helena. This is my third time on Fitness Pal. I've been doing okay not tracking food/exercise for a while but not lately, as extra 11lbs are now showing.

I eat well, trying to stick to the 80/20 rule. My one problem seems to be the sugar intake. It's usually simple sugars from fruit but still. How do I eat my fruits and veggies without going over my sugar limits?

Whenever I track my food intake I am usually well under my calorie limit but over my sugars.

What am I doing wrong?
    Do you have any ideas for veg/fruit/snack foods low in sugar?
    Please help!
    :)

Thank you!

Everyone should watch the new documentary Fed Up , you will never eat sugar again , end of problem:)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Taajsgpm wrote: »
    Hi All!

My name is Helena. This is my third time on Fitness Pal. I've been doing okay not tracking food/exercise for a while but not lately, as extra 11lbs are now showing.

I eat well, trying to stick to the 80/20 rule. My one problem seems to be the sugar intake. It's usually simple sugars from fruit but still. How do I eat my fruits and veggies without going over my sugar limits?

Whenever I track my food intake I am usually well under my calorie limit but over my sugars.

What am I doing wrong?
    Please help!

Thank you!

Everyone should watch the new documentary Fed Up , you will never eat sugar again , end of problem:)

I generally don't use documentaries to form my views on scientific issues, since they are usually thinly veiled propaganda.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    What is OK for one may be toxic another I agree. Because we are biological and all are different in one way or another is why not all calories are equal once inside of our biological bodies. For health people a little candy is not a BAD thing just like a little alcohol is not a BAD thing unless one has control issues that causes one to not stop at a little. For some of us when we play with fire we wind up getting burnt.
    You still to this date have failed to provide any evidence that calories are calories. You continue to spew nonsense.

MrM27 I have not seen any evidence that a calorie is a calorie in reference to food for humans.

I meant in a biological sense as it relates to human eating calories not just burning one in a lab with a burner. A calorie of protein only is a fraction of a calorie by the time it can be stored as fat where a carb will be closer to one calorie by the time it can be stored as fat.

Yes, we know that already.

TEF of macronutrients:
    Protein 20-30%
    Carbs 5-6%
    Fat 2-3%

What are you trying to tell us that we don't already know?

When why did you ask what I meant if you already knew?

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Hi All!

What am I doing wrong?
    Please help!

Thank you!

I generally don't use documentaries to form my views on scientific issues, since they are usually thinly veiled propaganda.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Very sound advice.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    I read somewhere carbs should only be eaten with protein but I find cutting carbs helps since it is the carbs that we eat become stored as fat.

Netting over maintenance causes fat storage. It's not just the carbs that get stored as fat.

Over half of protein can get converted to glucose and stored as fat by the body we know but I expect most all of my body fat came from mainly CARBS.

Cutting carbs is the only way most serious weight loss occurs and will stay off. That is why the high carb/low fat diets are killing so many today vs a low carb/high fat diet. Until the last 100 years refined carbs were not an issue because they were not around plus we burnt more of the carbs we ate so there were fewer to store.

Its very possible most of your fat storage came from excessive carbs, but only very possible if you were eating in a calorie surplus and a majority of your calorie intake from carbs - lol.

Also half of protein can get converted to glucose - I suppose but that is dependent on how much protein you are eating and the body only has the ability to produce approx 150g of glycogen a day. Can that glycogen be stored as body fat - yes. Will it increase your overall body fat stores - if you are eating in a calorie deficit - no. If you are eating in a surplus - then very possibly.

Also people eating a a high carb, low fat diet in a calorie deficit WILL lose weight. A high carb diet in a calorie deficit does not make you put on weight or get you fat. There are other health markers to take into consideration with a high carb diet, but in a calorie deficit weight gain is not one of them.

Carbs are how I packed on the pounds for sure. :(

Now that I am just flipped around high fat medium protein (100 grams daily) I can stuff my face all day and not gain weight.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    You can subscribe by hitting the star on the thread. It's not a great system but it kind of works.

Found the star and will see how it works. Thanks

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Hi All!

What am I doing wrong?
    Please help!

Thank you!

Taagsgpm thanks for the suggestion. I watched a trailer and think I saw this. Yes it is not a science show but some of the points are based on science. It was just strange to me to see Bill Clinton talking about school lunches.

To keep from going on Enbrel with serious side effects I decided 7 Aug 2014 to get off of sugar. I started by getting heavy into coconut oil by mouth and after two months totally dropped food with added sugar. Pain has dropped from 8-9 most days to 2-3. Sugar is toxic to my body today.

• GaleHawkins
    Options

Yes, we know that already.

TEF of macronutrients:
    Protein 20-30%
    Carbs 5-6%
    Fat 2-3%

What are you trying to tell us that we don't already know?

When why did you ask what I meant if you already knew?
    So why wouldn't we lose body fat if we track our food and activity properly and create a caloric deficit while still eating a moderate to high carb diet?

Maybe your hormones are blocking your body's "set point" from moving to a lower weight if what you stated occurred. I think we can for a few weeks/months may be able to starve ourselves to a new lower weight but if we do not first lower the body's set point may just eat our way back to our old weight then some because the brain is saying, Get Carbs, Get Carbs night and day.

People do not fail at diets i expect but diets sure to fail people if the science is flawed. This is why most Americans are better off if they NEVER diet. Yo Yo dieting can cause long term harm in my view.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere carbs should only be eaten with protein but I find cutting carbs helps since it is the carbs that we eat become stored as fat.

Netting over maintenance causes fat storage. It's not just the carbs that get stored as fat.

Over half of protein can get converted to glucose and stored as fat by the body we know but I expect most all of my body fat came from mainly CARBS.

Cutting carbs is the only way most serious weight loss occurs and will stay off. That is why the high carb/low fat diets are killing so many today vs a low carb/high fat diet. Until the last 100 years refined carbs were not an issue because they were not around plus we burnt more of the carbs we ate so there were fewer to store.

Also half of protein can get converted to glucose - I suppose but that is dependent on how much protein you are eating and the body only has the ability to produce approx 150g of glycogen a day. Can that glycogen be stored as body fat - yes. Will it increase your overall body fat stores - if you are eating in a calorie deficit - no. If you are eating in a surplus - then very possibly.

Now that I am just flipped around high fat medium protein (100 grams daily) I can stuff my face all day and not gain weight.

So are you saying you can eat in a net caloric surplus but still lose weight as long as you are eating low carb?

I think that is what he's saying. *Rolls eyes* :|
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

So are you saying you can eat in a net caloric surplus but still lose weight as long as you are eating low carb?

Only if one's hormones and body are working correctly PERHAPS. If one is insulin resistant and has a fatty liver I expect the answer is no based on my personal experience.

Of course if one is eating quality carbs the quantity may be of less issue.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Not sugar, fruit, that was a mistake.

All fruit should be eaten alone? Why?

Oh, wait, I'm remembering this now, from when my mom bought the Beverly Hills Diet book. Cool.

Is that the one? That was an all fruit different days diet. I actually tried that one for a couple of days.

There was one where you were supposed to eat different types of food seperately. Because they are digested in different areas of the digestive tract I am thinking it was Suzanne Sommers?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    Not sugar, fruit, that was a mistake.

All fruit should be eaten alone? Why?

Oh, wait, I'm remembering this now, from when my mom bought the Beverly Hills Diet book. Cool.

Is that the one? That was an all fruit different days diet. I actually tried that one for a couple of days.

There was one where you were supposed to eat different types of food seperately. Because they are digested in different areas of the digestive tract I am thinking it was Suzanne Sommers?

I'm not sure where that came from but it was in the Fit For Life Diet by a person who claimed to be a PhD but it was later discovered he got that from a diploma mill (i.e. he just paid for it). I remember that the book also advocated fruit only in the morning and that you shouldn't eat eggs because "eggs stink" -- such a scientific reason.