Sugar Problems

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What is OK for one may be toxic another I agree. Because we are biological and all are different in one way or another is why not all calories are equal once inside of our biological bodies. For health people a little candy is not a BAD thing just like a little alcohol is not a BAD thing unless one has control issues that causes one to not stop at a little. For some of us when we play with fire we wind up getting burnt.
    You still to this date have failed to provide any evidence that calories are calories. You continue to spew nonsense.

MrM27 I have not seen any evidence that a calorie is a calorie in reference to food for humans.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    wow... and wow... and once again... wow.

Original poster, please remember these "replies" are useless. There are so many limitations on giving any type of advice on the internet. Anything!!! that might be interpreted as advice.

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ... these "replies" are useless. There are so many limitations on giving any type of advice on the internet. Anything!!! that might be interpreted as advice.

^^This should be permanently posted on the top of the main forums page.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I never said 700 calories of fat is equal to 700 of carbs or 700 of protein. You are assuming I'm saying something I'm not.

It was a question. You seem to be asking him to disprove "a calorie is a calorie" or provide evidence that all calories are not equal.

Do you believe that all calories are equal ?

All calories are equal in weight loss.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere carbs should only be eaten with protein but I find cutting carbs helps since it is the carbs that we eat become stored as fat.

Netting over maintenance causes fat storage. It's not just the carbs that get stored as fat.

Over half of protein can get converted to glucose and stored as fat by the body we know but I expect most all of my body fat came from mainly CARBS.

Cutting carbs is the only way most serious weight loss occurs and will stay off. That is why the high carb/low fat diets are killing so many today vs a low carb/high fat diet. Until the last 100 years refined carbs were not an issue because they were not around plus we burnt more of the carbs we ate so there were fewer to store.

Its very possible most of your fat storage came from excessive carbs, but only very possible if you were eating in a calorie surplus and a majority of your calorie intake from carbs - lol.

Also half of protein can get converted to glucose - I suppose but that is dependent on how much protein you are eating and the body only has the ability to produce approx 150g of glycogen a day. Can that glycogen be stored as body fat - yes. Will it increase your overall body fat stores - if you are eating in a calorie deficit - no. If you are eating in a surplus - then very possibly.

Also people eating a a high carb, low fat diet in a calorie deficit WILL lose weight. A high carb diet in a calorie deficit does not make you put on weight or get you fat. There are other health markers to take into consideration with a high carb diet, but in a calorie deficit weight gain is not one of them.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    ... these "replies" are useless. There are so many limitations on giving any type of advice on the internet. Anything!!! that might be interpreted as advice.

Why? It's not even a coherent sentence...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Its very possible most of your fat storage came from excessive carbs, but only very possible if you were eating in a calorie surplus and a majority of your calorie intake from carbs - lol.

Yes, exactly.
    Also people eating a a high carb, low fat diet in a calorie deficit WILL lose weight. A high carb diet in a calorie deficit does not make you put on weight or get you fat. There are other health markers to take into consideration with a high carb diet, but in a calorie deficit weight gain is not one of them.

Agreed. Lots of people (including Gale) may find it more difficult to sustain a deficit, especially over time and without counting, if they do low fat, high carb without something more to keep them at it. I would.

(I think people who do 80 carb-10 fat-10 protein, raw or otherwise, which I wouldn't recommend or do, but which works for some, typically have something more, specifically their belief in the magic of what they are doing.)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    LeonCX wrote: »

Why? It's not even a coherent sentence...

So? Isn't coherence created in the mind of the interlocutor?
    lol! Thanks for the smile. :)

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    All calories are equal in weight loss.

Except when different outcomes result from the same calorie intakes at different macro splits, for example the difference between low and high protein.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Carbs, protein and fats serve their individual purpose and eat had their own TEF. Obviously 10 calories 50 calories of protein will differ from 50 calories of carbs and so on.

Not sure what you're trying to argue with me. You clearly believe I'm saying saying that I'm not.

Looks like you're saying the calories "obviously" differ, in amongst the typos.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Carbs, protein and fats serve their individual purpose and eat had their own TEF. Obviously 10 calories 50 calories of protein will differ from 50 calories of carbs and so on.

Not sure what you're trying to argue with me. You clearly believe I'm saying saying that I'm not.

Looks like you're saying the calories "obviously" differ, in amongst the typos.

Lol
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    All sugar is natural, and MFP's limit is in line with national guidance. EU and Aus suggest 90g/day for sugars from all sources as a limit.

Agreed. All sugar counts, from whatever source.

• yarwell
    Options
    I'm not focussing on your grammatical errors, but they do impair my understanding of what you are trying to say. I'm not trying to defend anyone, are you attacking them ?

Why not set it out for us nice and clearly: Do you believe that a given numerical calorie deficit or surplus will have the same effect on body weight and composition irrespective of the composition of the calories ?

I'm not assuming anything here, so you don't need to assume I am assuming, just answer the question.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Thankyou (you missed off a zero). TEF is of course part of TDEE but now I am clear that you do not regard all calories as equal. Will make it easier to follow your war with Gale who doesn't seem to think calories exist in nutrition, which is a different position.