The excluding elitist approach to fitness pisses me off. Rant warning.

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    tisseltass wrote: »
    Haha, yes. I confess to making a rant here. But have you never met this kind of attitude before? This was just a small, to me semi funny scenario, but I find that sometimes there is this really excluding attitude, I remember bringing one of my best friends along to the gym a long while back (He's this nice skinny guy) and one big guy comes up to him and snorts and tells him to use the pink weights. So okay, that guy was just an *kitten* and I guess you find them everywhere. But, in some of these places there has been an intimidating atmosphere if you're a newbie, and I just think that's a bit sad.

This happens in every aspect in life. It could be a coworker, a friend having a bad day, the gym...it just one person, let it go. Most people don't go out of their way to exclude or be mean, so I wouldn't call it a fitness problem. In regards to what happened to your friend, I'd call that an *kitten* problem and, unfortunately, they come a dime a dozen. It usually stems from some deep-routed insecurity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not seeing an issue here...it sounds like you're angry about nothing...do you get pissed when guys hold the door open for you? I mean, you can probably do that yourself too...

I'm honestly not seeing an "attitude" here other than yours. I think it's highly possible that your perceptions =/= reality. I see a lot of that in any gym...people perceive that other people are looking down on them or making fun of them or whatever...when in reality, nobody gives a rats and are barely aware of your presence.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options

There's a man at my gym who comes over to help me put weights on the bar when I dead lift. I lift more than he does, but I still let him put the weights on my bar for me. If he wants to be my personal assistant, I'm not going to argue.

How kind of you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    tisseltass wrote: »
    Haha, yes. I confess to making a rant here. But have you never met this kind of attitude before? This was just a small, to me semi funny scenario, but I find that sometimes there is this really excluding attitude, I remember bringing one of my best friends along to the gym a long while back (He's this nice skinny guy) and one big guy comes up to him and snorts and tells him to use the pink weights. So okay, that guy was just an *kitten* and I guess you find them everywhere. But, in some of these places there has been an intimidating atmosphere if you're a newbie, and I just think that's a bit sad.

Yes, I've found your attitude before.

Never observed someone acting like the "big guy" you are describing.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There's people of this type in every aspect of life. Think you let the dude get the best of you. I got a lot of looks when I was running on a treadmill at 300+ lbs but I didn't care. If you're ever in that situation again just say thanks with a smile. Bet it will bother him more than it will you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There are those types of people in all aspects of life. They're the exception, not the normal. It also sounds like you feel you have something to prove in the gym. I was like that, then I realized very few people care what you are doing as long as you aren't abusing the equipment.
  • dbmata
    Options
    kikityme wrote: »
    See...I read that in the same tone as "break a leg"

I live in a happy bubble. It's nice here. The unicorns bring me cheese.

That's probably exactly what it was.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

regular cheese or unicorn cheese?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    So, a guy did you a favor, and you rushed online to insult him about it? I really need to stop clicking on "mean people" posts where the OP is the one with the attitude. Basically, I need to stop clicking on mean people posts.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Well, that was quick.. OP deacto'd
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Dudes only offer to spot me in my gym :( Maybe I'm not doing it right...
  • dbmata
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Well, that was quick.. OP deacto'd
    lol, guess she didn't realize that if you're going to troll, troll hard.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

unicorn-logo-tag2_zps633cb080.png

I was not expecting that to be a thing.

• LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There are those types of people in all aspects of life. They're the exception, not the normal. It also sounds like you feel you have something to prove in the gym. I was like that, then I realized very few people care what you are doing as long as you aren't abusing the equipment.

I care about what you do in the gym

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

I care about what you do in the gym

Hahaha okay some people currently care about what I do in the gym. For different reasons than a beginner thinks people care about what others do in the gym.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options

^^^^ This.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I understandy why you were put off by that comment, but it is honestly so short that you don't know if maybe he meant it well and it just unintentionally came across as rude.

As far as the greater meat-head culture at some gyms, it doesn't exist everywhere. Some gyms are worse than others, and it is a matter of finding the right gym, if one exists in your area. Planet Fitness, for example, has done well at creating a positive culture. Though I know there are stories where Planet Fitness went overboard to cater to a broad range of clientele (such as bringing in free pizza for everyone), I still prefer their atmosphere to most gyms with more of the "meat-head" mentality. Unfortunately, I no longer live close enough to a Planet Fitness.

Now that I'm living in a rural area, there is 1 gym with very limited hours (such that I could barely make it at all) in my town, and another about 18 miles away (which is 24 hours). I plan to soon join the one that is 18 miles away because of the convenience of hours, even though it is a drive. Unfortunately, I still need to find a time M-F from 8:30-4:30 to sign up as a new member. If I'm the only person there (and I might be at the times I have available to work out), then no worries about personalities. If there is someone else working out at that time, we will see each other often, so we have to get along for the sake of being able to progress.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

unicorn-logo-tag2_zps633cb080.png

I was not expecting that to be a thing.

me neither!!! :smiley:
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was a lame attempt to flirt?
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Trust me, this elitist attitude doesn't just exist in the gym arena. As a geek and a gamer, as well as a sports fan, the elitist douches rear their ugly head there too.
    As a geek, I can't just be a fan of Doctor Who.......if I haven't watched all of the early 1950 & 60's episodes, if I can't directly quote Tom Baker, and if I am not aware of the most obscure facts, I will get shunned by the "Whovians".
    As a gamer, if I hop into an online game and am not instantly destroying everybody on the server, I am instantly labelled a "noob" and everyone *kitten*$ on me and may even vote to boot me from the server.
    Finally, as a sports fan, I can't just be a fan of the Arizona Cardinals or Detroit Lions in some circles. If I am not aware of who played Long Snapper for the Lions the last time they went to the playoffs, I may be told that I'm not a true fan.

I never thought I would quote Tony Horton (P90X) at any point in my life, but one of his quotes rings true for this topic..........do your best, and forget the rest.