The excluding elitist approach to fitness pisses me off. Rant warning.

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Cattle feeds? I was able to find "lunk alarm" (which sounds SO stupid) on urban dictionary... fill me in about these cattle feeds pls? this has to be hilarious.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty judgmental look at Planet Fitness, but you can't argue with many points they make.
    http://www.t-nation.com/opinion/planet-fitness-nightmare

It's interesting to take a closer look at that incredibly low $10.00 per month Planet Fitness base membership rate (less than 20% of the industry average). Consider that the average cost of a gym membership is $55.00 per month and that approximately 67% of people with gym memberships never use them.

If, as studies show, the average membership in a typical gym or health club is 1645 members, all things being equal and given the same average attendance rates, a Planet Fitness would need to have a roughly 5.5 times the number of members of a typical club just to attain average industry gym revenue. That would require (at a minimum) a mammoth 9,048 members.

Planet Fitness gym attendance would likely swell to the point of severe overcrowding if even the paltry 33% average number of members showed up regularly. Further, with the $10.00 monthly membership rate, any profit would turn to severe loss if a good number of members did show up with any regularity and total membership counts had to be restricted.

Indeed, this business model seems highly dependent on the vast majority of members not showing up at the gym with any frequency, if at all.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    This is a pretty judgmental look at Planet Fitness, but you can't argue with many points they make.
    http://www.t-nation.com/opinion/planet-fitness-nightmare

It's interesting to take a closer look at that incredibly low $10.00 per month Planet Fitness base membership rate (less than 20% of the industry average). Consider that the average cost of a gym membership is $55.00 per month and that approximately 67% of people with gym memberships never use them.

If, as studies show, the average membership in a typical gym or health club is 1645 members, all things being equal and given the same average attendance rates, a Planet Fitness would need to have a roughly 5.5 times the number of members of a typical club just to attain average industry gym revenue. That would require (at a minimum) a mammoth 9,048 members.

Planet Fitness gym attendance would likely swell to the point of severe overcrowding if even the paltry 33% average number of members showed up regularly. Further, with the $10.00 monthly membership rate, any profit would turn to severe loss if a good number of members did show up with any regularity and total membership counts had to be restricted.

Indeed, this business model seems highly dependent on the vast majority of members not showing up at the gym with any frequency, if at all.

Pizza Mondays bagels Tuesdays. Where are the protein shakes?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Cattle feeds? I was able to find "lunk alarm" (which sounds SO stupid) on urban dictionary... fill me in about these cattle feeds pls? this has to be hilarious.

pizza nights and bagel breakfasts. I was going to an allegorical description. Really wanted to make that mental image. ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    My friend got lunked for looking in the mirror to check her form. Makes NO sense.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OK, So I get that some of you are hating on my Planet Fitness example. My point was that I didn't feel as like other members were judging me for being a newbie who didn't already have muscles. Many of you are, in fact, the judgemental type that I do not want to be around when working out.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OK, So I get that some of you are hating on my Planet Fitness example. My point was that I didn't feel as like other members were judging me for being a newbie who didn't already have muscles. Many of you are, in fact, the judgemental type that I do not want to be around when working out.

Who is this many you speak of?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

You've never worked out around us, you don't know what we are like. I'm by far one of the most helpful people at my gym. I think it's great when I see new people sticking to their workouts. Many of the other people who posted have commented on other threads that they don't even pay attention to the other people who workout at their gym.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Well, my friend was kind of a newbie and she was just checking her form to make sure she was lifting the right way. How do you think it made her feel to get yelled at in front of everyone? I would never single someone out in a negative way at my gym for anything - and neither would my coaches. That's awful.

I've been on these forums a while and I haven't seen any of the more advanced fitness people judge anyone. In fact, just the opposite.

Not liking your gym =/= judging you.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I stopped at the outdoor gym to do some squats the other day. However the 77lbs bar that I wanted to use wasn't on the rack. So I asked MatchoBoy(TM) to give me a hand. Natrually, being MatchoBoy(TM) he had to haul it uphimself. (Even though I was standing there, ready to lift it in one end) Then he frowns at me, and in a snorky voice goes "Don't wear yourself out." while he's turing his back on me. What? Seriously? Does my 180lbs body look fragile? And just because Im not fit that must mean that I have no idea of what I'm doing? Really MatchoBoy(TM), do I need to get a t-shirt that says "Not fit but know my *kitten*"? And even if I didn't know, or felt unsure, if you really want to help someone with all your fitness expertise, why not just kindly ask how it's going? I'm really tired of this attitude that you sometimes meet as an unfit person in this game, why not lend each other a helping hand, some advice and encouragement but no, instead you get excluded if you don't look the part. This elitist approach to fitness really honestly, just pisses me of. And yes, this was a bit of a rant. But I really think it's one of the things that makes people afraid to join the gym or start working out, and it's quite sad. And if you are out there, just starting to run, do yoga, work out, lifting weights whatever it is - you sure as hell can do it! It's not rocket science and you are going to be awesome. :)

Ps. MatchoBoy(TM) was rather lacking in bicep curl technique as well. Think I should have pointed that out to him? ;) Ds.

"Had to haul it up himself"

Ummm look, this was probably a trivial weight for him. It would have made it more awkward to coordinate with you to shift it around. What would your reaction be if someone offered to 'help' you move a gallon of milk? Mild confusion and saying something along the lines of "I got this" right?

I question the basis of your rant.
  • dbmata
    Options

I'm very judgemental. I'm also in the gym to kick my own *kitten*, not yours. Unless you get in my way, or say something to me, you do *not* exist.

I don't think I'm unique in that POV either.

It's not a matter of "hating" on PF, since we're not kids here... it's more realizing that it's not that great of a place, and the cynicism and judgement they exhibit is problematic in my mind. Keep in mind, that judgement they levy against those who work hard will also be leveled at you once you decide to achieve more than they choose to allow you. That's why it doesn't work for me. I have issues with someone trying to tell me how what I can and cannot do.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Many of you are, in fact, the judgemental type that I do not want to be around when working out.
    Also, you mention wanting to climb Rainier, what happens when you have to train hard for it? There's a few reasons I'm kicking my *kitten* in the gym so hard.

Rainier, Baker, Adams, two chicks at once.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I would like to say that these people know who they are, but I really don't think they do. There is a general attitude that a gym is a "no fatties" zone and that if you are not already in shape, you do not belong there. I've been a member of other gyms, and quit going after a couple weeks every time because I always got that vibe. My point about Planet Fitness is that it is the only gym where I didn't feel unwelcome because I'm not already in shape. Unfortunately, I had to move for work after a few months. That was 3 years ago, so maybe things have since changed.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options

I would like to say that these people know who they are, but I really don't think they do. There is a general attitude that a gym is a "no fatties" zone and that if you are not already in shape, you do not belong there. I've been a member of other gyms, and quit going after a couple weeks every time because I always got that vibe. My point about Planet Fitness is that it is the only gym where I didn't feel unwelcome because I'm not already in shape. Unfortunately, I had to move for work after a few months. That was 3 years ago, so maybe things have since changed.

Seriously? The other people who commented on this post have shown no indication that they think this way. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. This is on you, buddy. It's your perception.
  • PRMinx
    Options

That is just not true. I'm sorry you feel you had that experience, but no one at my gym would ever intentionally make someone feel that way. They would be horrified. Sometimes what you perceive is not actually what is happening.

We have people who are handicapped, people who are obese, people who are elderly and people who are Division 1 athletes all in the same place, all working out at different levels, and all respecting one another.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I think that if everyone got out of the gym and into the fresh air then everyone would be a happier. Put down those weights and get moving.

She said it was an outdoor gym.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    I think that if everyone got out of the gym and into the fresh air then everyone would be a happier. Put down those weights and get moving.

I do put down the weights. And then I pick them up again. And then when I'm done I go run for some fresh air. People can do both.

Nah I tried that, I put down the weights and couldn't get them up off the floor again.

Next time pick a weight you can actually handle.

• dbmata
    Options
    Hey, I'm the only fatty allowed in my gym. I'm there for lookin!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    "I always got that vibe" = "my insecurities projected and created said vibe", perhaps?

PF makes everybody else unwelcome, particularly if they're working "too hard". My friend got lunked and asked to "tone it down" when he did a finishing set of burpees.

My personal thing that I don't think "they" realize is that working out is hard. It takes effort, and when they're so worried about what they're projecting onto the other guy, they forget this fact.

They know who they are, I'd like to think.

(the real ridicule is reserved for the curl monkeys or other twaddlenocks who take up the squat rack for activities other than squatting. they're the ones who get the business. not a beginner who's trying and taking that brave, awesome first step)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I totally disagree. I go to a gym with very competitive bodybuilders. I am so far from that...in fact, I'm still considered obese. But they respect me. They have befriended me. They give me advice when I request it. Why? Because I show up and do work. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday without fail. They see me, and they know I am trying. In fact, I'd be MORE unwelcome at a PF than at my gym - they'd kick me out the first time I tried to deadlift.