The excluding elitist approach to fitness pisses me off. Rant warning.

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is not a good gym because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdccUsn8N4Y

but remember.

BElr_O2CMAAdCkW.jpg
    *Unless PF judges you differently.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just because you ran into one slightly douchy dude does not indicate a bad attitude in the fitness community at large. And honestly, you sound a lot snarkier than he did.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ...but what I'm hearing is PF is not a serious gym and that translates to saying that I'm not serious about wanting to work out because I'm comfortable at PF.
    Dude, don't project, and don't assume that your identity or value is based on the brand value or identity of PF. That's some weird territory there dude.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'll make the point again because I'm obviously not explaining this well enough: I had a gym where I felt comfortable enough to workout without feeling like I did not belong. A place where nobody scowled when the fatty arrived... That place will be different for everyone, and I'm happy for anyone else who has found such a place. But please don't berate me or the only place that ever worked out for me simply because you don't think they run their gym the way you would want your ideal gym to be run. There is a huge difference between saying Planet Fitness won't work for me because... compared with saying Planet Fitness is not a good gym because... I realize you may not intend it to be a personal attack, but what I'm hearing is PF is not a serious gym and that translates to saying that I'm not serious about wanting to work out because I'm comfortable at PF.

No one is attacking you. There calling you out on your "Many of you" comment which I still have no clue what it is.
    We are in fact attacking Planet fitness for how they operate turn down people who are fit. How else do people become fit? They came out the womb fit that's it. Like I said before the issue is more on you. You walk into a gym and everyone stops and stares. People do intentionally long pause squat staring at you. No one cares where you start. People might be interested just like you are for the ride to your goals.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I'll make the point again because I'm obviously not explaining this well enough: I had a gym where I felt comfortable enough to workout without feeling like I did not belong. A place where nobody scowled when the fatty arrived... That place will be different for everyone, and I'm happy for anyone else who has found such a place. But please don't berate me or the only place that ever worked out for me simply because you don't think they run their gym the way you would want your ideal gym to be run. There is a huge difference between saying Planet Fitness won't work for me because... compared with saying Planet Fitness is not a good gym because... I realize you may not intend it to be a personal attack, but what I'm hearing is PF is not a serious gym and that translates to saying that I'm not serious about wanting to work out because I'm comfortable at PF.

No one is attacking you. There calling you out on your "Many of you" comment which I still have no clue what it is.
    We are in fact attacking Planet fitness for how they operate turn down people who are fit. How else do people become fit? They came out the womb fit that's it. Like I said before the issue is more on you. You walk into a gym and everyone stops and stares. People do intentionally long pause squat staring at you. No one cares where you start. People might be interested just like you are for the ride to your goals.

"Many of you" would apply to people who see a comment suggesting that one should find someplace where they are comfortable, with a personal example, and argue that the example gym is not a serious place to work out.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

"Many of you" would apply to people who see a comment suggesting that one should find someplace where they are comfortable, with a personal example, and argue that the example gym is not a serious place to work out.

maybe they know more about the gym than you realise, and their comments about why they think it's not a good place to work out comes from that prior knowledge (such as the lack of squat racks, the lunk alarm, how they market their gyms), and it has nothing to do with your comment that you felt comfortable there...

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

maybe they know more about the gym than you realise, and their comments about why they think it's not a good place to work out comes from that prior knowledge (such as the lack of squat racks, the lunk alarm, how they market their gyms), and it has nothing to do with your comment that you felt comfortable there...

Hmmm.... interesting point. Like I said earlier, it's been 3 years since I moved away from where there was a Planet Fitness and maybe things have chanced since then. But why not focus on the main point rather than the example? Does everyone think that we should or should not work out in a place where we are comfortable working out? Does it depend on the person?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yup ^^. I went to the old PF too when those things above were not there yet.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    mackeyj wrote: »
    One time, at the gym, a guy was polite and tried to help me set up a squat rack.

So I was a *kitten* to him.

So, insulting someone by saying "Don't wear yourself out." is being polite now??
    Some people on MFP DO have a strange view of the world...I hope I never run into them in person.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Hmmm.... interesting point. Like I said earlier, it's been 3 years since I moved away from where there was a Planet Fitness and maybe things have chanced since then. But why not focus on the main point rather than the example? Does everyone think that we should or should not work out in a place where we are comfortable working out? Does it depend on the person?

I'm pretty sure that no one here has said it's a bad idea to work out where your comfortable.

Again, having opinions about a particular gym or workout is not the same as judging you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

If Planet Fitness's entire business model wasn't built around caricaturizing the fitness enthusiast and calling those people dull, stupid, or slow for being an enthusiast, wearing a sleeveless shirt, or bandanna.....they'd catch far less flack here.

TBH, I don't see much of a difference between PF and other 24/7 facilities, just their marketing scheme vilifies the enthusiast while attempting to prey on insecurities...IMHO
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I've seen it happen, and to be honest, I tend to be braced for it.

However, I'm lucky enough to go to a good gym. The sleek dolphins don't mind sharing the pool with me.

I did have an incident once when I was unracking my weights from a pretty heavy (for me, mind. I was in the 220s at the time, and only squatting about half my body weight) squat set and a man offered to help me unrack them. I let him but was terribly braced for a condescending remark when he asked me what my sport was. Upon telling him I didn't have one I competed in and just liked lifting, he said, "You ought to consider Olympic lifting. You have nice squat form."

I was giddy the rest of the day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that no one here has said it's a bad idea to work out where your comfortable.

Again, having opinions about a particular gym or workout is not the same as judging you.

I'm not saying that anyone has said it's a bad idea to work out where you're comfortable... I'm just trying to redirect the conversation back to my initial point because it has gotten way off topic with the conversation about whether or not PF is a legitimate gym. I used that as a personal example to illustrate my initial point, and didn't really intend for the conversation to become a critique of that particular gym. In the same way, I'm not going to ask for critique of Aspen or Anytime Fitness and whether or not others have felt judged there... just go wherever you are comfortable.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I am of the personal notion that someone should be comfortable working on and performing at a high (personal) level in uncomfortable places if one has a goal of climbing a mountain that takes lives like a glutton going after a slice of cake.

However, I haven't climbed Rainier yet (from OP's profile.), so maybe it's a lot easier than the places I have climbed.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I am of the personal notion that someone should be comfortable working on and performing at a high (personal) level in uncomfortable places if one has a goal of climbing a mountain that takes lives like a glutton going after a slice of cake.

However, I haven't climbed Rainier yet (from OP's profile.), so maybe it's a lot easier than the places I have climbed.

Everyone has a different tolerance. I used to be really intimidated by things (I'm a huge introvert) but I did push myself out of my comfort zone with Tough Mudder and CrossFit and I am a stronger person for it. But, everyone needs to go at their own pace.

I have actually hiked in Nepal. The highest I went was the peak of Gokyo Ri. That is my only mountain climbing experience (no pullies, no clampons). I will say that, when you are in that situation, you have to work with strangers from all walks of life and, sometimes, if you want to make it to the next summit you have to let go of what other people think of you (because, for the most part, they aren't thinking anything at all - just how to get there, too).
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    There's a man at my gym who comes over to help me put weights on the bar when I dead lift. I lift more than he does, but I still let him put the weights on my bar for me. If he wants to be my personal assistant, I'm not going to argue.

LMAO I get this all the time too. Whatevs I'll take it.

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    And really? 2 people flagged the unicorn post?
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Just because you ran into one slightly douchy dude does not indicate a bad attitude in the fitness community at large. And honestly, you sound a lot snarkier than he did.
    ^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    OP must be a real "treat" to hang with...lol

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ROFL! How did this become another of the many 'Bash Planet Fitness' threads? I am so amused.

<-- has a PF membership, sees many there that look like borderline body builders and hears the lunk alarm maybe once every dozen times I go in there.

ETA: I've never touched the food when it's there and even if I did, oh well. I love me some pizza in moderation! :smiley:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Planet Fitness is not a good gym because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdccUsn8N4Y

but remember.

BElr_O2CMAAdCkW.jpg
    *Unless PF judges you differently.

Wow, that commercial is ignorant. And I definitely wouldn't want to go somewhere that they call you out with an alarm while working out. The worst thing about my last gym (One Life) was the hassle they gave you when you tried to cancel your membership. It's a big part of why I haven't gone back, honestly.