The excluding elitist approach to fitness pisses me off. Rant warning.

Options

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think that if everyone got out of the gym and into the fresh air then everyone would be a happier. Put down those weights and get moving.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I think that if everyone got out of the gym and into the fresh air then everyone would be a happier. Put down those weights and get moving.

I do put down the weights. And then I pick them up again. And then when I'm done I go run for some fresh air. People can do both.

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    mackeyj wrote: »
    One time, at the gym, a guy was polite and tried to help me set up a squat rack.

So I was a *kitten* to him.
    So, a guy did you a favor, and you rushed online to insult him about it? I really need to stop clicking on "mean people" posts where the OP is the one with the attitude. Basically, I need to stop clicking on mean people posts.

Funny, that is definitely another way to read her post.......well put.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

I do put down the weights. And then I pick them up again. And then when I'm done I go run for some fresh air. People can do both.

Nah I tried that, I put down the weights and couldn't get them up off the floor again.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I would be very crabby if I stopped lifting and went back to something I hate, like running. I think everyone should pursue an activity that they enjoy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    There's a man at my gym who comes over to help me put weights on the bar when I dead lift. I lift more than he does, but I still let him put the weights on my bar for me. If he wants to be my personal assistant, I'm not going to argue.

How kind of you.

LOL.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness, for example, has done well at creating a positive culture. Though I know there are stories where Planet Fitness went overboard to cater to a broad range of clientele (such as bringing in free pizza for everyone), I still prefer their atmosphere to most gyms with more of the "meat-head" mentality. Unfortunately, I no longer live close enough to a Planet Fitness.
    Yes, because a business based on judging and degrading others who are different from you is creating a positive culture.

• dbmata
    Options
    Trust me, this elitist attitude doesn't just exist in the gym arena. As a geek and a gamer, as well as a sports fan, the elitist douches rear their ugly head there too.
    Yup. Gamergate.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Planet Fitness, for example, has done well at creating a positive culture. Though I know there are stories where Planet Fitness went overboard to cater to a broad range of clientele (such as bringing in free pizza for everyone), I still prefer their atmosphere to most gyms with more of the "meat-head" mentality. Unfortunately, I no longer live close enough to a Planet Fitness.
    Yes, because a business based on judging and degrading others who are different from you is creating a positive culture.

You forgot they took out all squat racks to replace with the trash smith machine.

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Trust me, this elitist attitude doesn't just exist in the gym arena. As a geek and a gamer, as well as a sports fan, the elitist douches rear their ugly head there too.
    Yup. Gamergate.

I still have yet to figure out what is going on with Gamergate... but that's just because I'm not a gamer in the traditional sense of the word... I like video games but am by no means one that has to play them all the time other than to waste time...

Anyway, my only pet peeve of the gym are people who don't RE-RACK their weights... One day I'm going to snap and call them out on it...
  • dbmata
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Yup. Gamergate.

I still have yet to figure out what is going on with Gamergate... but that's just because I'm not a gamer in the traditional sense of the word... I like video games but am by no means one that has to play them all the time other than to waste time...

Anyway, my only pet peeve of the gym are people who don't RE-RACK their weights... One day I'm going to snap and call them out on it...

Let me sum up gamergate for you.

Have ovaries? ---- off.

They have a lot of bs claims, like it's about integrity and ethics, and blah blah blah. It's simple neckbeards engaging in a campaign of hate and misogyny.

Regarding re-racking someone else's weights... I consider that my warmup. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You forgot they took out all squat racks to replace with the trash smith machine.

ONLY MEATHEADS USE THE CURL RACK!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yup. Gamergate.

Have ovaries? ---- off.

They have a lot of bs claims, like it's about integrity and ethics, and blah blah blah. It's simple neckbeards engaging in a campaign of hate and misogyny.

That's what I figured... and I might consider it a warm up if it weren't more than 50% of my lifting weight in the first place...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I haven't read Planet Fitness' business plan, so I don't know what their business is based upon. However, my experience was very positive because they welcomed everyone and specifically made an effort to make newbies feel comfortable in the gym environment.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Yup. Gamergate.

Have ovaries? ---- off.

It was funny though I used to play halo 3 with girls online. The go to line was you just got beat by a girl. Yeah that used to piss me off when I was like 10. Then the losing team go to line was you are some ugly fat slob. Facetime proved those comments wrong. I just do not get the whole men needing power over women thing.

• dbmata
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Yup. Gamergate.

Have ovaries? ---- off.

It was funny though I used to play halo 3 with girls online. The go to line was you just got beat by a girl. Yeah that used to piss me off when I was like 10. Then the losing team go to line was you are some ugly fat slob. Facetime proved those comments wrong. I just do not get the whole men needing power over women thing.

Cause like, wimmens are weak and stuff.

oh, and pies. Lots of pies. I'll be honest, since I'm sick right now, I'm really wasting a lot of my mind thinking about these cretins and what they're doing to my industry. Do nothing pogues.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I haven't read Planet Fitness' business plan, so I don't know what their business is based upon. However, my experience was very positive because they welcomed everyone and specifically made an effort to make newbies feel comfortable in the gym environment.

I had to go to PF once to pick up a race packet. I walked in wearing my normal gym attire and was asked to leave because I make other people uncomfortable with how in shape I am.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If he's snarky to you, look for opportunities to fart on him. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options

I think it's summed up nicely by their lunk alarm, commercials, cattle feeds, lack of free weight equipment. Etc.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yup. Gamergate.

Have ovaries? ---- off.

That's what I figured... and I might consider it a warm up if it weren't more than 50% of my lifting weight in the first place...

Or in my case, where the bar is higher than I can reach flat-footed 25% of the time ...

I hate being short. And I really hate that a couple of inconsiderate lifters at my gym are also super tall.