The excluding elitist approach to fitness pisses me off. Rant warning.

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    OK, So I get that some of you are hating on my Planet Fitness example. My point was that I didn't feel as like other members were judging me for being a newbie who didn't already have muscles. Many of you are, in fact, the judgemental type that I do not want to be around when working out.

Who is this many you speak of?

I would like to say that these people know who they are, but I really don't think they do. There is a general attitude that a gym is a "no fatties" zone and that if you are not already in shape, you do not belong there. I've been a member of other gyms, and quit going after a couple weeks every time because I always got that vibe. My point about Planet Fitness is that it is the only gym where I didn't feel unwelcome because I'm not already in shape. Unfortunately, I had to move for work after a few months. That was 3 years ago, so maybe things have since changed.

I joined my gym when I was a fatty. It's a meathead gym. Nobody paid attention to me (or anyone else for that matter). I've never seen people give off a "no fatties" vibe. There's a guy who weighed 475 pounds when he started two years ago and people were very helpful. I think you project how you feel onto others at the gym.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OK, So I get that some of you are hating on my Planet Fitness example. My point was that I didn't feel as like other members were judging me for being a newbie who didn't already have muscles. Many of you are, in fact, the judgemental type that I do not want to be around when working out.

I would like to say that these people know who they are, but I really don't think they do. There is a general attitude that a gym is a "no fatties" zone and that if you are not already in shape, you do not belong there. I've been a member of other gyms, and quit going after a couple weeks every time because I always got that vibe. My point about Planet Fitness is that it is the only gym where I didn't feel unwelcome because I'm not already in shape. Unfortunately, I had to move for work after a few months. That was 3 years ago, so maybe things have since changed.

Seriously? The other people who commented on this post have shown no indication that they think this way. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. This is on you, buddy. It's your perception.

Even if it is just my perception (and I don't think that is entirely correct), it makes a huge difference as to whether I can be comfortable enough to continue or not. So my original comment stands... find a place that you can be comfortable. In my case, I had a place. It just didn't last long because I moved.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    oh man, comfortable enough to continue? ooof.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Okay, this place sounds utterly abysmal. Feed u crap food so u keep coming back trying to burn it off... and shaming someone for checking their form? They would probably "lunk" me for having D cup breasts or something similarly nonsensical. I'll just keep using the fitness room at the apartment complex where I live, and getting form tutorials on youtube/fitness sites! If I move to somewhere with no fitness room, I'll just join the YMCA. I can't tolerate nonsense like this!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Seriously? The other people who commented on this post have shown no indication that they think this way. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. This is on you, buddy. It's your perception.

Even if it is just my perception (and I don't think that is entirely correct), it makes a huge difference as to whether I can be comfortable enough to continue or not. So my original comment stands... find a place that you can be comfortable. In my case, I had a place. It just didn't last long because I moved.

It's still not cool to accuse people in this thread of these behaviors, especially considering how helpful they are.

On the note about being comfortable when you work out: I have a creepy old guy who sits outside his house and yells crap at me while I'm running. One day he even came down to the edge of the driveway to try to talk to me. (Headphones.) Does this mean I should stop running because it makes me really, really uncomfortable? No. I have goals, and I'm going to achieve them.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

What gyms do you go to. I have been to many gyms and do not see this no fatties zone you speak of. Matter of fact I see overweight people workout all the time. Maybe you just do not like to workout around others because of your own insecurities.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    So, a guy did you a favor, and you rushed online to insult him about it? I really need to stop clicking on "mean people" posts where the OP is the one with the attitude. Basically, I need to stop clicking on mean people posts.

^^^ this

• dbmata
    Options
    On the note about being comfortable when you work out: I have a creepy old guy who sits outside his house and yells crap at me while I'm running. One day he even came down to the edge of the driveway to try to talk to me. (Headphones.) Does this mean I should stop running because it makes me really, really uncomfortable? No. I have goals, and I'm going to achieve them.
    One of the guy's goals is to climb Rainier.

Image being roped in on a team, 6 hours in to your climb, working on sub 1k calories for the last day and a half because at altitude you can't keep anything down. Your underlayers are soaked, you ran out of water at your last rest stop, it's 5F, and you just entered a crevasse field.

No comfort to be had.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

You have a me v. the world attitude. We've seen it here in several of your posts. That's entirely up to you, of course, but it's not fair to project onto other people and judge them even when they have done nothing to warrant that judgement. I would never judge someone in my gym based on their size, experience, etc. period. So, no, your are not correct if you are applying that label to me.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Danielle, that worries me. I would be carrying some mace if a dude were creeping on me. Unless, of course, you can just kick him over if he tries to assault you. :D When I started working out, I was fat, and many people working out there were fatter. And some were very fit already. The only thing anyone cared about was the practice of common courtesy. My fat is my fat; yours is yours.... who cares, y'know? Except for the inhabitant of said body.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    One of the guy's goals is to climb Rainier.

Image being roped in on a team, 6 hours in to your climb, working on sub 1k calories for the last day and a half because at altitude you can't keep anything down. Your underlayers are soaked, you ran out of water at your last rest stop, it's 5F, and you just entered a crevasse field.

No comfort to be had.

Lies, all lies. You hater, you. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    truth.

Like I said, I go to the gym to curl and check out chicks, man.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Danielle, that worries me. I would be carrying some mace if a dude were creeping on me. Unless, of course, you can just kick him over if he tries to assault you. :D When I started working out, I was fat, and many people working out there were fatter. And some were very fit already. The only thing anyone cared about was the practice of common courtesy. My fat is my fat; yours is yours.... who cares, y'know? Except for the inhabitant of said body.

Yeah, I keep meaning to get some mace or something. I've been ignoring it as much as possible, and sometimes I luck out and he's either not home/in the house. I actually think it's two old dudes who both live in the house together. I run at night, which doesn't really help matters. I live right next to a school, so I don't think that convicted pervs can live on my street.
  • beckyjopdx
    beckyjopdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey, noob here and all. I'm a total fan of the rant. a safe place to blow off steam is a good thing, and I get the snobs and, the other side, the assumptions. one of my bffs is an overweight man, over 400lbs, and he flippin' smokes me on the AMT - just destroys it )in the best way possible.) Judgy is going to be judgy out there, whether it's your food, your car, your parenting....your life is only yours, so no sense in wasting it on anyone you don't want in your life. ;) focus that angst on lifting more. /2cents
  • dbmata
    Options
    well that was judgemental.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

having seen all the marketing for Planet Fitness, I'll never go there, because their marketing makes me feel like I'd be totally unwelcome and unwanted there. This is the main reason people hate on planet fitness... they make serious weightlifters and pretty much anyone who's serious about exercise feel unwelcome.

Also, you shouldn't judge people without getting to know them. Most gym regulars and fit people don't actually hate on beginners at all. Being new anywhere makes people feel self conscious and insecure, but usually once you've actually gone there a few times and got to know some people there, you find that they're not like the stereotypes at all.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'll make the point again because I'm obviously not explaining this well enough: I had a gym where I felt comfortable enough to workout without feeling like I did not belong. A place where nobody scowled when the fatty arrived... That place will be different for everyone, and I'm happy for anyone else who has found such a place. But please don't berate me or the only place that ever worked out for me simply because you don't think they run their gym the way you would want your ideal gym to be run. There is a huge difference between saying Planet Fitness won't work for me because... compared with saying Planet Fitness is not a good gym because... I realize you may not intend it to be a personal attack, but what I'm hearing is PF is not a serious gym and that translates to saying that I'm not serious about wanting to work out because I'm comfortable at PF.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I don't know what other people have written since this, but there was a point in my life I felt the same way. Then I started not giving a crap because I was there for me, not to get their approval. Then you know what I learned, they really didn't care and it was all in my head.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'll make the point again because I'm obviously not explaining this well enough: I had a gym where I felt comfortable enough to workout without feeling like I did not belong. A place where nobody scowled when the fatty arrived... That place will be different for everyone, and I'm happy for anyone else who has found such a place. But please don't berate me or the only place that ever worked out for me simply because you don't think they run their gym the way you would want your ideal gym to be run. There is a huge difference between saying Planet Fitness won't work for me because... compared with saying Planet Fitness is not a good gym because... I realize you may not intend it to be a personal attack, but what I'm hearing is PF is a serious gym and that translates to saying that I'm not serious about wanting to work out because I'm comfortable at PF.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone here was berating you or your fitness. All we are saying is that it isn't fair for you to judge what other's may or may not be thinking about you. I have no idea of your fitness level.

In regards to judging PF, everyone has a right to their own opinion. Do I think people can get started on a program there? Yes. Do I agree with the way they embarrass people for no good reason? No.

As a CrossFitter, I get told all the time that my workout sucks. I don't think anyone is judging me personally, they just don't like the whole concept of CrossFit. That's their choice. I certainly don't think any of those people critiquing CrossFit would comment on my appearance or level of fitness if I didn't ask for specific feedback.

In a fitness community where people have different philosophies, it's a good idea to assume that opinions about a workout or a gym are not personal attacks or judgements on you as a person, or you as an athlete.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »

I don't know what other people have written since this, but there was a point in my life I felt the same way. Then I started not giving a crap because I was there for me, not to get their approval. Then you know what I learned, they really didn't care and it was all in my head.

^^^^^^^^^ this is so true and extremely wise advice