Road to Six Pack ABs - Get Ripped!

Options

Replies

• MoeHameed
    MoeHameed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think bulking with 14+ body fat will just make you fat later on. You might get to 20% or more and I think that's not what you want. I'm cutting to less than 10% body fat and don't care if people think I'm skinny. I will bulk up when I reach my goal.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I think bulking with 14+ body fat will just make you fat later on. You might get to 20% or more and I think that's not what you want. I'm cutting to less than 10% body fat and don't care if people think I'm skinny. I will bulk up when I reach my goal.
    Yes, I have to agree with that^^^^

I would honestly like to provide better evidence than I agree or simple self experience and honestly I think and from I remember reading it would have a lot to do with nutrient partitioning when you are creeping up into 15% and above territory. I may very well be incorrect and if anyone has solid reading material on that I would love to read it.

I've read the same, but unfortunately didn't bookmark the reading materials. General consensus seems to be to stay within what is still considered that "Athletic Range" for best results.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I agree also.
    Higher BF% leads to less efficient calorie/macro partitioning.....
    Your body isn't quite as sensitive to hormonal signals at higher BF levels
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i was in the 11-12% range when I started this bulk ...
  • proanthonylee
    proanthonylee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weighted 165 lbs before and in 4 months I was down to 140 lbs and now currently weigh 145 with fat % decreasing, which is super. I don't know if muscle memory will do me good. In average, with my height of 5' 9" my ideal weight would come down to about 165 - 175 lbs. Starting November is when I'll seriously pump heavier than my usual workout routine. keep posting~ and let's discuss what foods to eat.
    -
    I've increased my calorie intake to 2550 with MACRO staying at 40% protein 40% carb and 20% fats, hopefully this ratio will help me to bulk up faster.

• ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I weighted 165 lbs before and in 4 months I was down to 140 lbs and now currently weigh 145 with fat % decreasing, which is super. I don't know if muscle memory will do me good. In average, with my height of 5' 9" my ideal weight would come down to about 165 - 175 lbs. Starting November is when I'll seriously pump heavier than my usual workout routine. keep posting~ and let's discuss what foods to eat.
    -
    I've increased my calorie intake to 2550 with MACRO staying at 40% protein 40% carb and 20% fats, hopefully this ratio will help me to bulk up faster.

Ratios won't really align your macros properly in many cases and even less so on a bulk. Take your 2,550 calories, 40% will put you at 255g of protein or 1.76g per lb of body weight which is unnecessarily high.

Grams>ratios.

you would be better off at 35% protein; 35% carbs, 30% fat…that is what I have mine set to...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Even 25% protein is probably more than enough. That's still over 1 gram per lb of body weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Even 25% protein is probably more than enough. That's still over 1 gram per lb of body weight.

agreed…I just tend to eat/like a lot of high protein foods….
  • philosophersnark
    Options
    It's hard gaining quality mass once natural test levels start dropping around your age. On the bright side you probably make more money LoL.
  • proanthonylee
    Options
    Yeah you are right, 255 gm of protein is just way too much for me and It won't be used to build muscle anyways. I may need to change my ratio to suggested35% 35% 30%
    thanks! great support!!!
  • proanthonylee
    Options
    20 lbs of muscle by end of January might be pushing the limits, but 10 lbs of muscle, will be doable at my condition
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Since I'm trying to do a rather slow bulk, I have increased my calories some. I do think my appetite has increased a bit even with this. Even though my weight lifting routine is not very intense, I'm wondering if this could be from the energy needed to repair the muscles. Like perhaps an additional 25-50 calories may be needed for repair, not counting the increased energy need for maintenance and actual growth?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    20 lbs of muscle by end of January might be pushing the limits, but 10 lbs of muscle, will be doable at my condition

10 lbs of muscle is pushing it too.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Since I'm trying to do a rather slow bulk, I have increased my calories some. I do think my appetite has increased a bit even with this. Even though my weight lifting routine is not very intense, I'm wondering if this could be from the energy needed to repair the muscles. Like perhaps an additional 25-50 calories may be needed for repair, not counting the increased energy need for maintenance and actual growth?

I don't follow
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

So you want to lose muscle / fat to get into the sub 10%, then go on a bulk to try to get the muscle back?

Why not pack on the muscle now and cut later?