Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Dear God, today I can't even....
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Since I'm trying to do a rather slow bulk, I have increased my calories some. I do think my appetite has increased a bit even with this. Even though my weight lifting routine is not very intense, I'm wondering if this could be from the energy needed to repair the muscles. Like perhaps an additional 25-50 calories may be needed for repair, not counting the increased energy need for maintenance and actual growth?

I don't follow
    Let's say someone spends 10-15 minutes playing basketball vs 10-15 minutes lifting heavy weights. Although basketball is a moderate to high intensity exercise, the muscle fibers wouldn't be torn as would be the case with weight lifting. So while both exercises for that length of time would require a little extra calories, my guess was that the caloric requirements would be increased even further with weight lifting (perhaps just 10-20 calories more) to support muscle repair.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Post his actual stats if you want to use 40lbs as an example of his bodyfat amount. If he's carrying 40lbs of body fat @ 20%, what weight does that make him? And how much would he have to lose to get down to a 10%?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    @ForecasterJason
    The reason it seems ridiculous to you about the concept of how hard it is to do what you are talking about is because reading it and doing it are completely different. When you try it a few times, you outlook changes.
    Well, maybe you are right then.

Personally, I am not that far right now from the starting stats I mentioned in that example. For all intents and purposes, I would be considered a complete beginner in consistent weight training. For my entire life I have always been very lean. At this point, I am trying to do a slow bulk. I don't expect to be putting on 20 pounds in the next year at the pace I'm going. But because of my age, muscle/fat ratio, and perhaps other factors, I have been blessed with a lightning fast metabolism right now. I know it will slow down as I get older, and for that reason I am hesitant to slow it down by gaining unnecessary body fat right now. This is why I do believe (for me, at least) gaining muscle on a slow bulk is hard, and why I am setting my expectations low.

But clearly, I seem to be an outlier in this thinking.

What are your maintenance calories at out of curiosity.?
    Based on what I've been eating, I think around 2100-2200. MFP suggests about 1950, but I think that's a little too low.

Holy *kitten*! What are your stats? I maintain at 2600. I'm a 29 year old, female, 5'9",190 pounds and 23% body fat. MFP has me around 2200.

this makes me so sad.

I'm not losing on 1700...

I totally don't get that because between kicking @$$ lifting and dancing, you should be burning well above that!!!!!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Since I'm trying to do a rather slow bulk, I have increased my calories some. I do think my appetite has increased a bit even with this. Even though my weight lifting routine is not very intense, I'm wondering if this could be from the energy needed to repair the muscles. Like perhaps an additional 25-50 calories may be needed for repair, not counting the increased energy need for maintenance and actual growth?

I don't follow
    Let's say someone spends 10-15 minutes playing basketball vs 10-15 minutes lifting heavy weights. Although basketball is a moderate to high intensity exercise, the muscle fibers wouldn't be torn as would be the case with weight lifting. So while both exercises for that length of time would require a little extra calories, my guess was that the caloric requirements would be increased even further with weight lifting (perhaps just 10-20 calories more) to support muscle repair.

How are you expecting to bulk if your weight lifting isn't intense? Also wouldn't you burn more calories playing ball vs lifting? So in order to be at a calories surplus in order to "bulk" you'd need to eat more calories?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    The tricky thing with my metabolism is working with my appetite. I do try to eat a fair amount of healthy foods, although my diet is certainly not entirely clean. My diet already includes some calorie dense foods such as nuts, cheese, and dried fruits.

I like how those get lumped on the end into "not entirely clean"

all those things I would toss into "clean"

When we talk calorie dense- we are talking peanut butter on top of my full fat moosetracks ice cream with oreos mashed in.
    -
    time to get dirty my friend.
    I was actually listing those foods as ones I eat that are calorie-dense separate from the statement about clean foods. Most days, cookies/cake (mostly homemade) and chips do make up a small portion of my general diet.
    I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but my digestive system is a bit more sensitive than normal, and I can't just pack in tons of high-fat foods.

• LolBroScience
    Options
    Post his actual stats if you want to use 40lbs as an example of his bodyfat amount. If he's carrying 40lbs of body fat @ 20%, what weight does that make him? And how much would he have to lose to get down to a 10%?

No... in relation to your comment about bodybuilders bulking in the 14-20% range as opposed to the 10-14% range. I'm not talking about the OP, or anyone else in this thread. I was saying, as a bodybuilder it is a waste of time being in a deficit for long of a period.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Do protein powders agree with your stomach?
  • proanthonylee
    proanthonylee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bulking up starting this month, I've been eating more than usual with lean and clean diet. definitely more protein and carb.
    I have more energy for sure and been lifting 15 lbs heavier than before.
    My fit test for pull up increased to 25 pull ups with no stopping, so that is good.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

No... in relation to your comment about bodybuilders bulking in the 14-20% range as opposed to the 10-14% range. I'm not talking about the OP, or anyone else in this thread. I was saying, as a bodybuilder it is a waste of time being in a deficit for long of a period.

I was talking about a guy that wants to bulk but it waiting to go from the 14% range down to a sub 10% range before bulking. IMHO, it's a waste of time to lose muscle on purpose then have to spend time trying to gain it back again. Especially when it's obvious that he wants more bulk than he currently has at 14%
  • ForecasterJason
    edited November 2014
    Options

I don't follow

How are you expecting to bulk if your weight lifting isn't intense? Also wouldn't you burn more calories playing ball vs lifting? So in order to be at a calories surplus in order to "bulk" you'd need to eat more calories?
    You're probably right. Though in my particular case, since I'm not trying to bulk as fast as most people, I think I should able to get away with doing a lot less training (i.e., instead of 3-4 25-40 minute weight training sessions each week more like 3-5 10-15 minute sessions).

• LolBroScience
    Options

I was talking about a guy that wants to bulk but it waiting to go from the 14% range down to a sub 10% range before bulking. IMHO, it's a waste of time to lose muscle on purpose then have to spend time trying to gain it back again. Especially when it's obvious that he wants more bulk than he currently has at 14%

What?
  • JeffseekingV
    edited November 2014
    Options

What?

You think it's realistically possible to lose only fat when you are cutting from 14% down to a sub 10% bodyfat?

If you're cutting at those numbers, you have to be willing to give up some LBM IMHO. No other way around it except to try to minimize the LBM loss

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    @ForecasterJason
    The reason it seems ridiculous to you about the concept of how hard it is to do what you are talking about is because reading it and doing it are completely different. When you try it a few times, you outlook changes.

Personally, I am not that far right now from the starting stats I mentioned in that example. For all intents and purposes, I would be considered a complete beginner in consistent weight training. For my entire life I have always been very lean. At this point, I am trying to do a slow bulk. I don't expect to be putting on 20 pounds in the next year at the pace I'm going. But because of my age, muscle/fat ratio, and perhaps other factors, I have been blessed with a lightning fast metabolism right now. I know it will slow down as I get older, and for that reason I am hesitant to slow it down by gaining unnecessary body fat right now. This is why I do believe (for me, at least) gaining muscle on a slow bulk is hard, and why I am setting my expectations low.

Based on what I've been eating, I think around 2100-2200. MFP suggests about 1950, but I think that's a little too low.

Holy *kitten*! What are your stats? I maintain at 2600. I'm a 29 year old, female, 5'9",190 pounds and 23% body fat. MFP has me around 2200.

this makes me so sad.

I totally don't get that because between kicking @$$ lifting and dancing, you should be burning well above that!!!!!

seriously- I think the same thing too- except here I am... scale stubbornly still stuck at 160. it's disheartening to be SO busy- pull such long hours- for 7 days a week... and be hungry all the bloody time- and stuck.

I know I could tighten some details up- and get more protein- but for cripes sake. You'd think- at SOME point something would budge- might be time to drift toward "cleaner" food LOL shameful.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I don't follow

You're probably right. Though in my particular case, since I'm not trying to bulk as fast as most people, I think I should able to get away with doing a lot less training (i.e., instead of 3-4 25-40 minute weight training sessions each week more like 3-5 10-15 minute sessions).

If you're cutting the time down, that's fine but I don't think that means you can cut the intensity.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

What?

You think it's realistically possible to lose only fat when you are cutting from 14% down to a sub 10% bodyfat?

No, I don't. But, I fail to see how that's losing muscle on purpose?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think this is a summary of the research. Frankly my brain hurts from this conversation, which made reading it a chore.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/06/bulking-done-right-what-can-latest-100.html
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    @ForecasterJason

this makes me so sad.

seriously- I think the same thing too- except here I am... scale stubbornly still stuck at 160. it's disheartening to be SO busy- pull such long hours- for 7 days a week... and be hungry all the bloody time- and stuck.

I know I could tighten some details up- and get more protein- but for cripes sake. You'd think- at SOME point something would budge- might be time to drift toward "cleaner" food LOL shameful.

Hmmm...have you tried increasing your calories a bit to get things moving?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

What?

No, I don't. But, I fail to see how that's losing muscle on purpose?

Perhaps a bad choice of words but the fact remains. If he's cutting, that means he's giving up LBM. And if he KNOWS this, that means he giving up muscle intentionally, on purpose or otherwise. Which is to me, counter productive to his goal of gaining LBM. For a guy that hovers around 14%? I'd think cutting down might not be the difficult part.