Carb-Loaded Documentary Film

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying there is a one size fits all diet. I'm saying that for some, who try to just eat what they want, but stay within their calorie range, and continue to have health issues, problems with diabetes, food addiction, or just can't lose weight. There is other options out there. Eat less and Exercise more has been pushed for years, along with the Crazy Food Pyramid that has NEVER been tested to see if it really makes people healthier to follow it. People are terrified of fat, and think that restricting calories is the only option to lose weight. And the obesity rate has continued to climb. Cancer, and heart disease continue climb, and we have a new generation of people that are metabolically sick.
    Eat less and exercise more doesn't work for everyone, just like my choice of how to eat, doesn't work for everyone either. I'm just saying there are other options for those who want to see what other options are available to lose weight.

Then why did you make the statement in the OP about the doom and gloom of 'junk' and how it impacts people in the end?

And, basically, you are wrong. Exercise is beneficial and so is not over-eating under normal circumstances. Obviously, where you start is relevant. If you are sedentary and obese - eating less and moving more seems like a pretty good idea to me. However, you apparently are calling bullsh!t on that concept!

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so you are the one person that math and physics do not apply to...?

How have I suggested that? Stop oversimplifying.

Some possibilities:

Glycogen stores more water. Hence I could have lost water weight by lowering carbs.

The amount of energy it takes to break down different macros could be different.

The types of macros or other foodstuffs one eats could affect how well they are digested (i.e. fiber consumption).

I'm getting the sense you don't know any math or physics.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    @NextPage
    What is hard to believe about the concept of eating less and exercising more makes you healthier?

If someone is overweight, are they healthy on average? Nope.
    If they eat less, will they lose weight on average? Yes.
    If they move more, will that aid in losing weight and building a better body on average? Yes.

So, could you explain your position as to how:
    NextPage wrote:
    I'm sorry but it hard to take this seriously "eat less exercise more, makes you healthy" garbage. Is this trolling?
    ... you believe that.

I think they were quoting the OP and disagreeing with it. At least that's the way I read it.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    @NextPage
    What is hard to believe about the concept of eating less and exercising more makes you healthier?

If someone is overweight, are they healthy on average? Nope.
    If they eat less, will they lose weight on average? Yes.
    If they move more, will that aid in losing weight and building a better body on average? Yes.

So, could you explain your position as to how:
    NextPage wrote:
    I'm sorry but it hard to take this seriously "eat less exercise more, makes you healthy" garbage. Is this trolling?
    ... you believe that.

I think they were quoting the OP and disagreeing with it. At least that's the way I read it.

Yeah, I didn't get that from it, she clarified though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm just saying for those of you reading this, who are struggling, like I did. Who are restricting calories, (eating low fat and or processed crap) and exercising, you think you are eating "healthy" but still having health issues, or not losing weight. There are other options. [None of which are valid obviously according to all you fine folks, that there could be possibly, other reasons why people are over weight, besides that we just eat to much and don't move around enough.] The body is a complex thing. And there is no one size fits all diet.

Not exactly what you said in your OP!

Also, what exactly do you mean by processed crap. My milk is processed...is that crap? My frozen veggies are processed...are those crap. My can of pumpkin is very processed...is that crap?
  • Basilin
    Options
    This is a pretty cool study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.79/full

They found insulin sensitivity affected how women lost weight on diets with different macro composition.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Is OP suggesting that any method can make you successful but her way is better? Or throwing out the idea that thermodynamics is the root of weight loss? Or suggesting that certain food inhibit weight loss?

I'm still stuck on the "it's gonna catch up to you one day...maybe not tomorrow...or the next day...or the next day.... or the next day. "

You're right, OP. Some day, we all die. Eating therefore leads to death.

Let's become flowers and get our energy from sunlight and water.
  • Basilin
    Options
    I'm confused. Is OP suggesting that any method can make you successful but her way is better? Or throwing out the idea that thermodynamics is the root of weight loss? Or suggesting that certain food inhibit weight loss?

I'm still stuck on the "it's gonna catch up to you one day...maybe not tomorrow...or the next day...or the next day.... or the next day. "

You're right, OP. Some day, we all die. Eating therefore leads to death.

Let's become flowers and get our energy from sunlight and water.

I'm a bit confused about that, too. I think she's saying that simply eating less and exercising more isn't always enough to lose weight and be healthy. The type of food matters. Which is partially true; and what people are objecting to is that if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight no matter what. Which is also true, but the sticky part is knowing if you're at a deficit or not.

That's how I'd sum up this thread anyway. :open_mouth:

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And I dont have to kill myself in the gym, I can exercise when I want to and moderately.

No one has to exercise to lose weight, although it's healthy independent of the effect on weight. Plus, a lot of us enjoy it. I personally find that I naturally eat better when I'm active, too, maybe because I tend to be more in tune with my body.
    Who will deny You are what you eat, you eat junk, your health will be junk. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but eventually it will catch up with you.

Setting aside the question of whether it makes sense to call any foods which are fine in moderation "junk" or, especially, "crap," why are carbs "junk" or "crap"? Plenty of people who are health conscious would probably think, instead, that some of the high fat foods you eat are bad for people. I don't happen to agree--I eat some full fat dairy (including butter) and red meat, etc.--but I don't get why the answer to the stupid demonization of fat is to demonize carbs. The carbs I eat (plenty of which are locally grown, blah, blah) support my nutritional goals just like the fat and protein.

One of those goals is having a delicious diet, and ice cream--while contributing both carbs and fat--aids in that quite significantly. Thus, I don't consider it "junk" or "crap," although I'm sure I'd concede that it's not nutritionally dense and should be consumed in moderate amounts as part of a healthy balanced diet.

Or in other words, if you want to lose weight, eat less, move more. ;-)
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    Anyone remember "Supersize Me"? Morgan Spurlock made that "pseudo-documentary" - that supposedly proved fast food makes people fat. He was soon debunked though. Another producer lost weight eating at that same McDonalds! (12 pounds in a month) People continue to believe that eating "junk" automatically makes you obese.

If you are talking about Fathead that was worse thsn Supersize Me. Nearly 100% fact free.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

bj34a19dah49.gif
    2ie5ugvddgg7.gif

Sorry, I've been told I'm aggressive
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm just saying for those of you reading this, who are struggling, like I did. Who are restricting calories, (eating low fat and or processed crap) and exercising, you think you are eating "healthy" but still having health issues, or not losing weight. There are other options. [None of which are valid obviously according to all you fine folks, that there could be possibly, other reasons why people are over weight, besides that we just eat to much and don't move around enough.] The body is a complex thing. And there is no one size fits all diet.

You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts nor to deride the established science as you so wontonly do. You are getting the criticisms you are asking for.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

bj34a19dah49.gif
    2ie5ugvddgg7.gif

Sorry, I've been told I'm aggressive

:D
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    LeonCX wrote: »
    Anyone remember "Supersize Me"? Morgan Spurlock made that "pseudo-documentary" - that supposedly proved fast food makes people fat. He was soon debunked though. Another producer lost weight eating at that same McDonalds! People continue to believe that eating "junk" automatically makes you obese.

He also talked about the cravings he got, you think that eating Mc Donalds every day for that long you would be sick of it, but no he craved it, he also talked about dreaming about the food, waking up with is mouth watering. What is IN the food???????? What makes people want and crave it, have to have it!!!

Is there no correlation between the obesity epidemic, and what we eat??? What is in the food?? Take what was eaten 75-100 years when you didn't ever hear about children with type 2 diabetes, cancer was rare, and most people where not overweight or obese. People ate REAL food from their gardens and farms not processed junk food from the supermarket.
    I'm not even going to bother with the first paragraph. Not worth it.

Paragraph 2, 75-100 years ago how many restaurants, not fast food restaurants were in your town? I live in NYC and I can search how many we had but I'll tell you this, there are thousands, hundreds of choices, variety upon variety. How's many times back in those days do you think a family could say "Ah, we don't feel like cooking, let's go out to eat". How big do you think the biggest supermarket was? We have an abundance of food now. Processed and unprocessed. So many more of us have the financial means to spend on food. Even when we have food at home, because we want different food. You can use chemicals as an excuse all you want if it makes you feel better and not force you to accept personal responsibility for your actions. Have you ever been at home and couldn't decide if you wanted pizza for dinner or Chinese food so you went out and got both? No? Well I did, and let the time. That's why I got fat. Not the chemicals. I stuffed my face like a pig.

And as far as lower cancer rates go, please pull up a picture of a Pet Scan for me from 75 years ago. You want some morphine for your headache or toothache or whatever? No? Travel back in time to many years ago and tell me what it was like when morphine used like vitamins. What find more now because we know how to look for it.

At logic...........you fail.

I just want to point out that 100 years ago...World War I started so I find it difficult to believe you think this is a legit means of comparing obesity, food, and life expectancy.

Edited to clarify that my comment was to Alisha, not MrM27
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts nor to deride the established science as you so wontonly do. You are getting the criticisms you are asking for.

Someone said wontons.

Do want.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Someone said wontons.

Do want.

So order of poutine and wontons with a beer on the side...