Small victories...what are yours?

Options

Replies

• cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    A few days ago was the two year anniversary of my dog's passing. I got a little emotional and started to think about comforting foods. I didn't give in, though. Instead, I took her collar out, put it in my coat pocket, and took a walk. Instead of burying my feelings, I faced them, and surprisingly, I felt very much at peace.

This is beautiful. What a lovely tribute to your dog! I'm sorry for your loss. Good for you for staying strong and doing something healthy!
  • cstevenson86
    Options
    HereLieWe wrote: »
    Being able to feel bones/muscles that weren't there before. When I flex my calves or biceps, I can see a bulge where there was only fat.

I experienced something similar last night! I noticed I can actually see a defined outline of my knee caps...not just a blob. Does that make sense how I'm describing it? Not sure lol...anyways, it felt AMAZING! I felt so good about myself!

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    mrsmay1986 wrote: »
    lefty421 wrote: »
    A few days ago was the two year anniversary of my dog's passing. I got a little emotional and started to think about comforting foods. I didn't give in, though. Instead, I took her collar out, put it in my coat pocket, and took a walk. Instead of burying my feelings, I faced them, and surprisingly, I felt very much at peace.

This is beautiful. What a lovely tribute to your dog! I'm sorry for your loss. Good for you for staying strong and doing something healthy!

Thank you, Mrs. May. As I grow older, I'm learning that bad feelings won't kill me and I don't need to run and hide from them or smother them with food. I need to practice being tougher, braver, and calmer if I want to leave binging behind forever.

• CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Oh! Congratulations on your knees! I just noticed a sharper angle in my shoulder today, so I know what you mean. It's great to notice results in places other than the obvious places our eyes always land when we look in the mirror.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Going from drinking 2 litres of coke a day to now drinking 2 litres of water a day...and not even liking the taste of coke anymore!!
    That's fantastic! How long did it take before you didn't like the taste anymore? I gave up soda a few years ago, but once every few months I have a diet coke and enjoy it.

I also gave up sweets (100 days ago!) because I just couldn't manage moderation. Several times I've tried a small bite of something, and I'm amazed at how much my taste buds have changed!
  • cstevenson86
    Options
    Quitting pop is so difficult! I used to drink three cans of pepsi...A DAY! My husband and I were going through one of the 36 packs of pepsi from Walmart in less than a week. I have ended my relationship with pop...well, for the most part! I drink almost 12 bottles of water a day. I only have pop maybe once a month. This was a small victory for sure! I thought I would always drink pop. It's amazing to me that now when I drink it, it almost tastes TOO sweet. I prefer water or un-sweetened ice tea now. :)
  • Myselvein2012
    Myselvein2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My goal is to have at least one small victory every day. Anything simple that is a choice I make that leads me to be healthier. I am keeping a calendar of these small wins to remind me that it does not have to be 100% all the time.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Met up with a friend in the grocery store today that I haven't seen in about a year, and she commented on how much weight I had lost. That felt nice.
  • cstevenson86
    Options
    My goal is to have at least one small victory every day. Anything simple that is a choice I make that leads me to be healthier. I am keeping a calendar of these small wins to remind me that it does not have to be 100% all the time.

I like your idea of keeping a journal of your small victories. The small victories are what ultimately leads us to becoming better...healthier...stronger. The best you, that you can be. Small victories are also great motivators I find because they make you realize you are changing.

PS: I am eating carrots right now as I write this...I just avoided chocolate chip cookies that are in the kitchen at work! ;)
  • cstevenson86
    Options
    weavernv wrote: »
    Met up with a friend in the grocery store today that I haven't seen in about a year, and she commented on how much weight I had lost. That felt nice.

Congratulations...that's such a great feeling! I work at a country club. Our Members leave in April/May and return in October. One of them saw me the other day and kept looking at me...puzzled. She came over to me and said "Something is different about you.....(long pause)....did you lose weight?"

It made me feel like I was on top of the world! Congratulations again!
  • mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so great! I'm so glad to stumble onto this thread too, because I was just thinking as I prepared my lunch -- I have all my portions planned out for the week, but I'm also trying to go through some leftovers. I went to weigh out my sweet potato fries and there was a bit more than one serving there. My planned portion was only 2/3rds. So... after having the thought to go back into MFP and make it all fit, I actually took the extra off the scale and put it back I the fridge. WHAT!?!?! Kind of felt like a relief, actually.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My home health aide brought me in a gluten-free brownie this morning. I gave it to my husband!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    2 small victories for me, went for a jog this morning instead of hitting snooze 5 times and instead of getting chips for a snack I got an apple =)
  • run2smile
    run2smile Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake with frosting... So far today no sweets. B)
  • cstevenson86
    Options
    My favorite chips are "Lays Salt&Vinegar Stax." Last night I treated myself and bought them. Usually I would finish the entire container in one sitting. Granted, I ate half the container of chips last night...BUT, I had the calories available. I'm also proud that I was able to put them down and not eat the whole container!

My wedding ring is now loose, and it needs to be fitted down a size.

A Member at the Country Club I worked at asked me "You look wonderful, have you lost weight."
  • LaurenCheek
    LaurenCheek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Today I'm wearing jeans that wouldn't go past my hips and rear last year.

I'm also at a new adult low weight of 187. I haven't weighed this little since probably 6th grade.

Thanks, MyFitnessPal and low carb!!
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Today I was able to resist the yummy zucchini bread that one of my co-workers brought in. Instead I went back to my desk and drank my cherry-flavored water. A few days ago I was able to go into Dunkin Donuts and resist buying a donut when two of my co-workers were eating their donuts right in front of me.

Great that you can resist carrot cake with cream cheese icing - I don't think I could resist that :)
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Today, my small victory was eating my planned lunch, and then stopping. No dessert, no chips, no extras. My next challenge will be avoiding snacking all together tonight...but I know I can do it!
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was fostering some orphaned kittens in October and since I was struggling with motivation anyway, I decided to take a break from logging for the month. I didn't go all out, still tried to keep my portions down and make better choices, just without measuring or logging.

I didn't gain (or lose) a single pound! I just inherently ate at maintenance for the month! I was so proud of myself.