WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• EthansNana
    EthansNana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks DSTIRRATT! I was thinking the same thing. Will do!

Laura
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    EthansNana wrote: »
    I need your help....my boss is taking us out for lunch today at a Mexican restaurant. What is healthy to eat to stay low on the carb side? I'm leaving here in 45 minutes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I Agree. Avoid the chips and the rice. I also try to limit the refried bean items, and anything with cheese and/or sour cream (unless I know I have saved a cushion). Enjoy ! ! !

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday dear ladies. DH is home again today ill. He went in yesterday and was home by 1pm. That stuff just lasts a long time. I do have a sore throat and hoping that is the end of it.

Sally--You go Girl!! Not sure I could ever like running, Have not even tried since I was in school over 40 years ago.

DeeDee--Love the names for the golf carts and sounds like everyone is enjoying them. I know I try and make postive memories with my DGC whenever I can. Just saw the picture of Penelope and she is so cute. What lucky girls your DGDs are.

Katla--I have seem those feeders that attach to the window and thought it would be fun to watch them. We have an old tower pole by our one window and it has alittle wooden half box on it. The last several years the birds have built a nest in there and had thier babies. Fun to share with the DGC.

Lesley--Sounds like you have always been active. Most days I have to push myself to do much, but getting better.

Robin--Hugs for Bodi

Michelle--Fingers crossed that Jess gets good news on the kitty.

Laura--I agree we should reach out to people and on that note I am going to contact my friend Sam when I get home from work. She has been having a tough time with cancer and raising her two grand children 5 & 7.

Allison--I am not surprised they loved you, they will very Blessed to have you.

On the subject of meat. I about had a heart attack not that long ago. I wanted to fix a roast in the crock pot. DH and I could of went out to eat for the price of a roast and left a good tip. It depresses me.

Sylvia--I also paid more for my last couple pairs of shoes and also had to replace them sooner. Before I would buy shoes and wear them acouple years. But since I am doing alot more walking I have bought better ones and DH hasn't said a word.

Deb--I understand about getting pressure from both sides. When my dad was ill, seems like everyother week I was driving to the hospital in Kearney. Since he passed I worry about my mom, she is very active, but lives so far away.

Carol--Happy Dance!!!

Sounds like we are to get snow starting tomorrow. I have heard anywhere from 3-6 inches. I work tomorrow so no big deal. But if we get the 6 I may be here for the weekend. Gotta love Nebraska. Well ladies prayers and hugs to each of you. Remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    TGIF everyone!
    Busy day, tired now. Went to the gym and did cardio, 20 minutes on elliptical and 15 on recumbent bike. Felt good. smiley-bounce012.gif

Been consistent with logging and gym for two weeks now. Proud of myself! November goals at 50% successful! smiley-bounce015.gif

Weekends always do me in though, so I'm hoping I can stay focused. smiley-eatdrink016.gif

Congrats Alison! Knew you could do it!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Rita from CT
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    Carol ... Yay!!

Terri ... Egg suggestions ... homemade versions of the things you see in the frozen breakfast aisle ... burritos with eggs, cheese, sausage ... I make up dozens of McDonald's style McMuffins to keep in the freezer ... breakfast bowls with potatoes, eggs, cheese. Everything is good with cheese! Or what about things like French toast? Would he go for that? Organizeyourselfskinny.com has a lot of make ahead breakfast ideas that are not necessarily low calorie.. Budget bytes.com has quite a few recipes that feature eggs (the breakfast bowls are there).

Lkmt1 ... if it's not a trigger food for you ... peanut butter stuffed celery is one of my favorites... I don't need much of the peanut butter to feel satisfied if I spread it real thin on a lot of celery.

Beth

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,286 Member
    Options
    Katla - I have never added milk to my starter. Never heard of that. :ohwell:
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning here.
    Had a wonderful day walking round BIG Allendale gardens yesterday. Lunch was Devonshire tea, all logged. I got in 15728 steps yesterday. Would have been less but asked husband to drop me off at neighbour's house to give her $50 for shadow mask workshop in December. Well he turned round and headed for home WHAT! So had another 30 minute walk home. But he did light the fire and let the dog out. he though I was staying to talk he said. Ah well more steps.
    Today I got up and did 30 minutes Wii Gold's boxing (arms NEED a workout each day) Jeannette's butt and thigh soon, and 1 hour walk after lunch = 845 cals. Plus cleaning house and ironing.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wow, we had tons of fun spending that 500.00 for the charity.......ALL gone......got lots of art stuff, science kits, craft projects, books, gift cards for a games place and book store, fancies for the girls........tried not to go over 10.00 per gift so we had lots. Should have some happy kids.

Car ended up at garage for the day........had an awful "gas" type smell from heat vents causing me a nagging headache ever since they had it in for oil change and inspection a couple weeks ago.....at first I thought it would just go away (head in sand syndrome!!!).........turned out they never tightened the oil cap......yep, that will do it! YIKES!!!

Lunch with friends at local Italian place: ate less than half a steak stromboli and half a Greek salad.......split with DD, then she went off to work.

Cold day; don't think it got above 40.

Tree removal guy called; will be here Tuesday........YAY!!!! No one else ever showed up for estimates........he says a thousand for all three, can anyone tell me if they have any experience in tree removal prices? People here seem to think this is a good price, but no one else gave an estimate.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,752 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie~ He is on Depakote ,so you nurses will probably know what they use that for, they are slowly ramping him down to find the right dosage..
    he is still quite out of it ,but knew that we came yesterday and I asked him who came and he said you did and I said who else, my sisters...
    I told the nurses that I hope that this stuff finally levels out and that he wont be lethargic like he is, and they want the same thing...
    they did tell me he needs larger clothes,as he is not moving as much....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,958 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie, we had a very tall tree cut down last year. The tree guy got rid of the all the branches and left the trunk cut up into lengths the right length for a fireplace and it cost about $800. It would have been more if he had taken the wood. The height of the trees and their location in regards to nearby buildings and other trees will influence the cost of cutting them down and removing them....it's an expensive proposition.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    LMKT1, welcome to our little group! What's your name and where are you from? We love getting to know each other. My favorite protein snack at the moment, is homemade turkey breakfast sausage. I cook up a batch of small patties and put it in a zipper bag and keep it in the refrigerator or freezer at work and pull out a piece or two at a time. I don't put salt in it, but it has so many other spices that it has lots of flavor. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the recipe. I also like hard boiled eggs for a protein snack. I'm also one of those low salt folks.

We got back from our little trip about 2:00 this afternoon, and have been on the run ever since. First thing was to pick up the dogs. Boy, were they happy to get home! I had sent in an order for a thousand postcards and some posters for our group pottery show, and the printers called to say they were ready, so I went to pick those up and then- after we walked the dogs- we drove those over to Joplin and dropped them off. There is a reception at the art center tonight so we wanted to pass out postcards to promote our upcoming show. Hubby and I didn't stay for the reception. Then went to wash the car and vacuum it, then stopped at the grocery store, came home and made spaghetti for dinner. His is regular pasta with beef and red sauce. Mine is whole wheat with chicken breast, olive oil, green peas, garlic and basil. Yummy! Now, I'm finally sitting happily with Spot sleeping in my lap. Bliss!

I'm feeling very bloated, so I think I gained a little on this trip. Had too much salt for sure, and more bread than I'm used to. Otherwise I tried to make good choices from what I had to choose from. So, in the morning I'll find out what the damage is. Fingers crossed.

Sally, I'm also hoping to start the Couch to 5k program. My new shoes are actually for that purpose. The salesman said they are made for marathon runners! Tonight walking the dogs I tried jogging a little ways and my feet felt great. No pain in my heel at all. I think it's funny, though, that when I run I feel my fat and loose skin bouncing up and down. The backs of my arms in particular. Hopefully I can shake it all off!

A question for those who walk or run outdoors, how do you keep your feet warm? These shoes (and my old ones too) have mesh tops and the cold wind goes right trough them.

Tomorrow morning we swim laps and then my granddaughter has a basketball game at 10:00. Then we will go to the lake and come back on Sunday. We're supposed to get snow flurries but not much more than that.

Well, good night everyone. Stay warm!

Sylvia
    In Kansas

45477098.png[/url]}
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of the deep water today. Tomorrow's plan is to do Tony Little's Body Express for an hour.

Took my aluminum to the Humane Society, then went to Bi-Lo for the things that are on sale, went to the deep water class, then took my car for inspection, home for a bit of lunch, then to take my neighbor to mahjongg lessons. I can't read if she'll join Newcomers or not. I told her that we usually go to Mexican Train and she'd be welcome to ride with us. I know that she said that lately she's been losing her confidence to drive. I told her that Newcomers does play canasta (which I really don't go to) and bridge (another thing that I don't go to). Vince reminded me that there's another lady who live near here who usually goes to canasta and can probably drive her.

Cynthia - thanks so much. I'm going to have to check at Target for that washing soda.

Beth - yes, I saw that Target advertised butter for $7. I almost fell off my chair! I'm ***hoping*** that with the holidays and baking and all, somewhere butter will go on sale at a decent price. That's hoping. I don't care if its off brand or what, as long as I get it at a decent price. So sorry about your son

Robin - are you saying that you wouldn't make the sacrifice for Bodi???? I totally understand, just messing around.

Carol - Walgreens usually has their milk on sale. As a matter of fact, it'll be on sale next week. Now if you take their ad into WalMart (which is what I do), WM will price match it. Hey, it may not be a big saving, but it's a savings just the same. Doing a happy dance for you and the weight loss. Update: on the way back from visiting Lance I got a quart of milk. $2.77!

lmkt and koojieststan (what a spelling!) - welcome back!

Heather - have a question for you (and anyone else who eats shirataki noodles). Is there some kind of sauce that you use? I used to put some spaghetti sauce on it, tonight I tried putting some cheese on it

Sylvia - *I* would be interested in that sausage recipe

Just got back from visiting Lance. He seems to walk a little and then have to lie down, it just wears him out. He's really not eating, but they are giving him fluids.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Sylvia, I walk (not run) outdoors both on streets and in the grass with my dogs. For winter I wear Columbia Bugaboots rated to keep your feet warm down to -25F/-32C.......with warm feet I'm warmer all over.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    Sorry I haven’t been here for a while. As usual, I am playing catch up with this thread. I’ve just come back from a business trip to Knoxville, and did not gain…happy dance! :D

On Wednesday I leave for an 8 day trip to Panama. B) I have a lot of family there, and it is supposed to be a great place to retire, so I’m also going to do some research. My niece is coming down as well to meet Panamanian relatives for the first time and celebrate her 40th birthday. I fly back from Panama on Thanksgiving Day, which is perfect for someone like me who prefers to spend the holiday in fasting prayer and meditation. I’ll have to make it up to DH with a nice big turkey on Black Friday. <3

My December business trips will be to Louisville, Albuquerque and New York City if there are any mfp’ers who want to meet up.

After experiencing freakishly warm weather well into November, Mother Nature has done a 180. Today we were ‘up’ into the 20’s. :o:(:'( More snow is coming later tonight and tomorrow. I have struggled to get motivated to walk to the condo gym in the morning when it’s dark and so cold it hurts to breathe. Today was the second day in a row I didn’t exercise. I can’t remember last time I missed 2 consecutive days. Will have to tough it out tomorrow. (*) o:) (*)

Stay strong. Stay well. We can do this.

Rori in the Colorado Foothills

November goals and progress to date:
    > Research natural arthritis pain management. Done, and after a few icings and massages, knee feels much better.
    > Eat slower. Try for 20 chews per bite. Working on it….
    > Continue working out for 50 minutes per day, 6 times per week. Did well, until this week.
    > Once per week, practice my Spanish. Si. Como se dice “mencanta mis amigas en MFP?”
    Word for 2014 = Release
  • MarleyJoe63
    MarleyJoe63 Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello Ladies ~

I wanted to check in on my goals for this moth and share some of my frustration (hoping for some suggestions to move that scale. Love that everyone is so supporting to others in this group; enjoy reading about others and how they are working towards their goals.

EthansNana: » What did you order when you went out to eat with your boss? I struggle with eating out and staying within my calorie goals. Thanks

Boots: » I couldn't find the original post regarding the "what boots do others wear", but thanks for asking as I am being my exercise sessions this month and at the current temperatures here in Iowa are freezing right now. :#

Ladies a question for you:» This month seems to be the month of overeating (I think because I have added exercise), do you eat your "extra" calories when you earn them with a workout? I have been and don't seem to be benefiting from it (scale isn't moving in the right direction)

My goals for Nov are as follows:
    Increasing exercise to twice weekly - so far to date staying on track
    Create Christmas mailing list - haven't started :neutral_face:
    Eat at least 2 vegetables a day - most days

Have a great day all. Bless you ladies.

Marley (51- next month) (western Iowa)
  • MarleyJoe63
    MarleyJoe63 Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just figured this out. Thanks

75775463.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. As usual, very busy women empowering the world!!!

I wish some one would light a fire under me to get moving, not just to get moving but to also get out and start my Christmas shopping. "Last year I did so much on line and it was so easy. But this year I'm not really sure I can find it online. Plus my my DGD want shoes, one riding cowboy boots, the other rain boots. I am just not finding what I want online. The only place I haven't looked is Amazon. Plus I'm not finding a youth section for the little one. It's kids or women. The teenager is in women. I want to get her good leather boots but I would like to be able to pay bills the rest of December also!!! LOL. The faux leather is the price I bought her little sister last year for her leather boots. Trinity is more fashionable and wants the knee high. Of course she has the leg for them. She wears a super skinny at Justice! Plus Justice is disappointing me this year. I loved to look at the catalogue and I knew I could find everything there. Make up is also on her wish list and this Grandma just doesn't want that. Do I have to jeapordize my values just because my DGD wants it???

Accumulation is supposed to start on Sunday morning. This will be a test as to whether or not i get up for church. It is mighty big excuse for me to stay at home. 5 years ago when I stopped going, I would have slept in in a heart beat. I do't like the choir music or the duet at all on Sunday and that doesn't help.

Joyce, indiana
  • barbiecat
    Options

Ladies a question for you:» This month seems to be the month of overeating (I think because I have added exercise), do you eat your "extra" calories when you earn them with a workout? I have been and don't seem to be benefiting from it (scale isn't moving in the right direction)

Marley (51- next month) (western Iowa)

I started eating back my exercise calories the day I came home from a two hour walk and thought I might faint.....that's when it occurred to me that the more energy I expended, the more fuel I would need for my body. I am vigilant about limiting my foods to those that are nutrition dense---that means no sauces, salad dressings, candy, desserts, etc. and I underestimate calorie burns and measure my food carefully.

I read your food diary and your note about peanut butter......after countless vain attempts to prove that I could eat peanut butter like a normal person, I had to ban it from my house. I am an "abstainer" which works better for me than trying to be a "moderator"....one bite of peanut butter (or cheese or granola, etc) is too many and a thousand aren't enough

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

146200.png
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Not much to tell today; one reason is that I slept until after 1 pm! Don’t know what that was about, but I guess I needed it.

Still trying to get a handle on my eating, because I keep gaining. Going in the opposite direction from my new knee; very frustrating! :'( Plus more pain in general.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
    54053224.png
  • LovingLifeLivingHealthy
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

Very Encouraging Barbie from NW Washington. Thanks! Kathy from PA