WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Jari Love's Ripped to the Core DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to take the deep water class.

Heather - I've read but haven't tried it, that you can replace the oil in a recipe by using avacado! In a way, makes sense since avacado is high in fats. Wonder how this will turn out? I'll give it a try, but if you try it before I do, let me know how it turns out. Jess has recently (or so she says) gotten to where she SAYS she wants to have foods that are lower in calories. The other day she asked me about the shiritaki noodles so I told her that it does take some getting used to -- the consistency is not like that of spaghetti. But once you get used to it, honestly, I'd prefer to have shirataki noodles to regular spaghetti. So I told her she's welcome to try some here and to try some spaghetti squash. How interesting...none of the machines I've ever used changed their calorie count depending on the effort you used. Maybe part of that is because I use the machines at the Y and I know when they spend money, they want to get as many machines as possible, they're not looking at something like that. For example, they only have one elliptical at one branch that uses the arms and legs. I like that one when I'm doing HIIT. One lady told me that ellipticals aren't being sold that use both, but I know that's not true. At another branch they have some, only thing is that those ellipticals also have a TV screen attached to them (which I've never used). The branch nearest me is renting the space and so they can't start running wires, etc. for the TVs. About the decorations, Vince didn't take many photos of the Halloween decorations this year because it started to rain and he didn't want the camera to get wet. However, I do have videos from last year on Facebook if you're on Facebook that you can check out. You're more than welcome. I'd be glad to friend you. I was saying to Vince yesterday that I would like us to make up a list of Christmas presents so I can get started buying. He can be such a procrastinator, I don't know if that'll happen. I've already bought Bryan's cards (Christmas and birthday for him and Diana). Oh no, the carpet!

Belinda - that's awesome that your PT reviews your eating habits. I'm so jealous. I've never had that, and it would be absolutely wonderful to have.

Sylvia - thanks for the link (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/foolproof-chocolate-fudge-2/) when you make it, does it come out with the consistency of fudge that you buy in the store? Well, I just made them. However, instead of putting them on a stove to melt the chips (I didn't want a repeat of burned stuff) I melted them in the microwave. Came out ok. Also, I found I added a bit of confectioner's sugar, just for texture. We shall see how they come out.

Right now I'm hardboiling some eggs (in the pressure cooker). It seems to be taking a long time to get the pressure down. Update: the shell came off two of them. Don't know what that's all about, but I do know what's going to be in my salad tonight. I also just squeezed some lemons. Right now I'm freezing the lemon juice in an ice cube tray. I like to have fresh lemon juice available to me when I need it. I do have one more lemon that needs to be squeezed.

Robin - sounds like you need to move to Arizona for Bodi....lol

Right now Jess is at the vet clinic, I think they're talking about how much, but I'm not sure. Vince is at the dentist, think I'll work a bit more on my plastic canvas. I only have 3 more coasters to do.

Jan - you need to tell me how we ache when our kids do! Especially when there's not a d*** thing I can do about it except to be here for her. I know that she wants to do things on her own, but for example when they called I answered the phone, gave her an extension. She got on my case "ma, hang up". Well, I didn't want to until I knew that she had the call. But I also know that some of that is her nerves so I'm just going to overlook it. Vince said that he wants to go see the movie "Interstellar". I don't think Jess will object if we pay for it. We'd probably go to the show that's lower in price for seniors.....lol Hey, I'm no senior (lol) but Vince is (lol lol)

Laura - that was so nice of you to take the timeout to tell your friend how important she is to you

hemseybrown - no matter how long you're here, it's near impossible to remember everyone. Trust me, I've been on here for a number of years and there are still people I don't really know.

Cynthia - by washing soda, do you mean baking soda or washing detergent (clothes or dish washing detergent)? I put some baking soda and vinegar on it and let it sit. After some scrubbing, I finally got the pot clean. Thanks for the tip

dstirratt - cute pic. LOL

Tomorrow first I'll take my aluminum to the Humane Society, then go to Bi-Lo for everything except the crab, then exercise, then I need to take my car in for inspection, then I'll go with a neighbor to take her to mahjongg. I'm going to loan her a book about it and maybe talk to her about joining Newcomers. She originally was going to drive tomorrow but said today that she feels uncomfortable (why, I don't really know, it's only one road) so I said "no problem, I can drive". I'll tell her how we usually go to Mexican Train dominoes and if she were to join Newcomers we could just pick her up.

Went to the movies, I just had some dried edamame. Honestly, I'm not hungry at all but I may wind up having some spaghetti and butternut squash. I really want to finish up the butternut squash. The refrigerator is quite full right now because I need to defrost things for Jessica to have too.

Alison - I knew the hospice lady would love you, you are so good hearted and compassionate, and that's what's needed

Talking about price of things -- have you noticed how the price of butter has gone up? Just last year I got it on sale for $1.69. Now a sale price is around $2.50. That's on sale

conniehv - welcome! Come back often

Deb - welcome to the sandwich generation!

An ultrasound on Lance revealed there is "something" in the left cranial lung lobe but due to its position, we aren't sure if it's a mass or fluid. The MD feel strongly that he has pneumonia and has started him on antibiotics. He's still at the hospital but seems to be doing better. We'll be going to see him in a few minutes.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody! Just stopped by for a moment. Hope you are all well!

Tere in RVA

Great to see you, Tere. I've been hoping you'd stop by. I hope things are going well for you and your family.
    :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Michele: no, I really mean washing soda. It’s also not the same as borax. wisegeek.com/what-is-washing-soda.htm
    I Googled and you should be able to find the Arm & Hammer brand at Target.

The last of the four rooms is being measured for carpet today, also the window in my office room for curtains. Have to have an annoying conversation with someone later today.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Deb~ that is called the sandwich generation and at our age that is what we are...
    my younger BIL and nephew went down to see my DFIL last night,they have been maybe once.. and of course he didnt recognize them and he didnt even remember that we had been there..
    I am defenatly (sp)going to speak with the nurse about his meds,this is just not right... will be down at 8 or so to get to the bottom of it..
    working all day today, then working tomorrow morning and then taking my dad down to a memorial service for our cousin about an hour away, told the DH not to expect me home to go out to dinner.. he said thats ok because we are short on money this month, which is wonderful with 2 holidays coming up...
    all I care about is there is enough to get the grandkids Christmas presents...
    I am stashing a bit of spending money away for Florida
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Viv ... praying that you and your husband are able to find moments of joy in the midst of this darkness you're experiencing.

Michele ... on Sunday the Target ad had a flyer that listed Land-o-Lakes butter for $7.00 a pound!! Crazy! Cheapest price for off brand is at $2.99 ... but you have to really catch it at that price as it's been fluctuating much higher.

Jan ... how was the brisket? I had to walk by the beef section of our grocery store yesterday... prices too high for the most part. Chicken, chicken, chicken is what's for dinner here most nights! DH and DS will be deer hunting on Saturday... we'll see if they can supplement the freezer. I'm not really a fan of venison though.

Tere ... a while back you were planning a wedding for yourself and your significant other ... was wondering how your son with weight issues is doing too. Glad to see you're back!

Another tough week with DS and his migraines... but he's in school today. Waiting on results of blood work to see if we're missing anything with the cause ... not really expecting anything ... but don't want to leave any stone unturned.

We had about 4" of snow yesterday... I forgot how much harder it is to do things when the weather is nasty! Blech!

Have a great day!
    Beth

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Quick stop, got to collect some canned goods from ladies at the gym for our charity food drive on behalf of the police support group--no time to exercise myself (!!!!!), post some flyers for same, meet 3 others for lunch, then the shopping trip to do the buying for the children's gifts---500.00 to spend from our group.....we are doing middle-schoolers.

Beth......Yes, it was delicious, but I still better get 4 more meals from it!!!!

Alison........Chances are, it is the meds, but there's also the possibility that he may have had a TIA or stroke. Are they considering that, esp if reducing the meds doesn't change his level of consciousness &/or confusion.

Got to dress and run
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic, very cloudy, brrrrr: 38 degrees

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good recipes to start getting some eggs into DS a few mornings a week. I told him about my conversation with his personal trainer, and he claims he only likes eggs from Taco Bell or Speedway. Yuck, expensive, and lots of fat.

Thanks!

Terri in Milwaukee
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good recipes to start getting some eggs into DS a few mornings a week.

Give him a fruit smoothie with 2 raw egg whites. 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1/2 banana, 2 raw egg whites (or vanilla protein powder if you are squeamish), couple ice cubes, and blend. We use a magic bullet.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.
    I am very glad it is Friday.

Michelle - Bodi may like Arizona but the dry air would kill me. My asthma only exist in dry climes. (I am weird) LOL

Joyce - What makes Bodi's story more heart breaking is that he isn't elderly. He turned 5 in June just after his incedent. He was just playing and turned wrong. He was paralyzed for about 2 months. He is still young and full of energy but his back legs just don't want to cooperate.

It is supposed to be really cold but no rain so my plan is to mow the lawn one last time for the year. We are also attacking the garage some more. Little baby steps. I signed up for a stained glass class and if I enjoy it DH has agreed to turn our "office" into a full on crafting/art studio with tile floors and built in cabinets and counters. My therapist keeps telling to get back to creating.

I hope you all are well,

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Terri - I don't have any surefire suggestions (my kids liked eggs about any way), but have you tried "egg muffins"? They're eggs and bacon/sausage (potentially vegetables) mixed up and cooked in muffin tins. Easy to grab and go. I've seen some good looking recipes but failed to bookmark them so on the hunt again.

Michele - I surely hope all goes well for your grandfurbaby! I haven't noticed the price of butter (I don't bake anymore) but the price of milk in a regular grocery store staggered me. I've been taking my daughter grocery shopping since she's not driving, and trying to do some of my shopping at the same time. Yikes! Food Lion price for a gallon of milk was a full dollar higher than at Aldi!

DeeDee - I love the golf cart! It's adorable and the names are as cute as can be. Are those your bales of hay in the background?

Tere - Good to see you!

Alison - Hang in there!

Lesley - I'm glad things are still going well for you!

Ladies, I have a grand announcement! I lost 2.4 lbs this week!! I have not recorded a loss in over six months, so I am ecstatic. Now, only 11 more to go before I get back to where I was 6-8 months ago...

So, my son announced earlier this week that he would not be coming home for Thanksgiving. This is not the end of the world for me since we've not actually celebrated Thanksgiving for the past 6 years or so (the ex has had them until dinner time on Thanksgiving and they're not interested in food when they get home to me). Part of me is actually delighted. He has made plans to have Thanksgiving with my parents! I'm sure my mother is thrilled. He assured me that I could come, too, if I wanted to. LOL I need to decide what I'm going to do and let them know. I do know that I will not be traveling Wednesday night so I would go up on Thursday morning and come back Friday night or Saturday morning. I really want to see them, but I also really hate to give up my time of rest. I also don't want my mother to try to prepare a big meal--her RA is too bad for her to be on her feet that much--and I don't have time to cook and then take it with me.

Newcomers - Welcome! I'm enjoying getting to know you.

I had folks come back for a second look at my house this week. They're worried about the age of the roof and the HVAC unit so we'll see. That's another reason I don't really want to spend time away from home over Thanksgiving; I need to pack!

Well, off to get the rest of the work done for the week so that I can go home. Hopefully, the sun will come out for my walk this afternoon!

Carol in NC

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Robin - Being creative is part of depression for me. I write when I'm depressed and create other things (scrapbooking, crocheting, knitting, drawing, etc.) when I'm not. If you can get into something that makes beauty, it will surely help lift the darkness!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I’ve a question for Barbie and other outdoor enthusiasts. I need new waterproof boots. I thought my rain boots were great, but then I forded a small creek at the beach while wearing them. Both had bigtime leakage and my feet were very wet. :noway: I want to be able to wade in shallow water a bit more than ankle deep, but less than knee deep. I don’t want fishing waders. I would appreciate both recommendations and warnings. :flowerforyou:

It is a sunshiny day here, after snow flurries yesterday. None stuck, but I do have a video of snow falling on my bean vines. They’re still growing, but they’re looking near the end. I can’t believe they’ve been able to last this long. We haven’t had a hard frost yet. :flowerforyou:

Heather, I have my sourdough out on the counter, and I’m feeding it flour and milk to get it to volcanoish activity levels. I’m excited about trying your recipe. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    Katla, about boots. I don't go out in as much water as you are talking about so I don't have a recommendation. I walk in wet grass and occasionally snow. My suggestion to you is Google "waterproof boots" and see what you find. Amazon has some with many reviews. Merrell, Columbia, and Sorel make boots for cold wet weather but prices can vary from $40 to over $200 and often boots that are waterproof in snow may not be so great in deep puddles or creeks of water.

Online shoes is good site with good prices and selection and if you buy the wrong size, you can send back to exchange for the right size for free......

:D Barbie
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~snow flurries again and cold
    HUGS to all
    jane
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Katla -- boots. My go to REALLY waterproof boots are the $16 black pvc things (sometimes called Milkhouse boots) that you can get at Wilco or Coastal Farm stores. Bi-Mart will sometime carry a version, too. These go about 3/4 of the way up your leg. I can go through wet grass to go feed the cows or wade through small streams when I am laying track for the dogs. I find them comfortable enough to herd with them.

Now the caveats.... They are not insulated. While your are at the farm store you can buy a couple of good boot socks and that will take care of keeping your feet fairly warm. They are cheap and can crack. Because of my foot shape, mine will develop small cracks across the widest point of my foot. I have had a pair last almost three years and other that barely last three weeks. They go on sale for about $10 and when that happens I just buy 2 pair. If your feet are prone to get sweaty, you must wear socks that will wick moisture away or you feet will either stink or freeze (or both!!)

My middle DS got me a pair of expensive Muck brand boots for Christmas a couple of years ago. These have rubber shoe part and neoprene uppers. These are more comfortable out of the box and warmer, but not really waterproof once you are as high as the neoprene part. They are very nice for most uses, but I would not try to wade streams with them.

Look for the joy in everyday, just like my dogs.

Sally W.
    Iced in in beautiful Oregon
  • EthansNana
    EthansNana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I need your help....my boss is taking us out for lunch today at a Mexican restaurant. What is healthy to eat to stay low on the carb side? I'm leaving here in 45 minutes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    EthansNana wrote: »
    I need your help....my boss is taking us out for lunch today at a Mexican restaurant. What is healthy to eat to stay low on the carb side? I'm leaving here in 45 minutes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Try Fajitas. Avoid the chips. Avoid the tortillas and just eat the meat and veggies.
  • lmkt1
    lmkt1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Its my third time back on MFP and hope its a charm.
    I have a question and I'm not sure if I'm posting it in the right category, so please excuse any transgression there.

What are you favourite between meal snacks that pack some protein and are not through the roof in sodium? I'm monitoring my salt intake and can barely make it through lunch before I've reached my daily max. I keep modifying as I go, but I get stuck on a good protein snack? Any ideas? I hit the big 6-0 this year and am finding it harder and harder to flush that stuff out of my system.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • koojiesistah
    koojiesistah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :) Hi All!
    Really looking for motivation and happened upon this group. I'm 54. I have to lose weight because I'm really struggling with everything now. I went away to Atlantic City for a few days and all of my fat clothes are tight. I'm short 5'2" and have around 68 lbs to lose. I'm planning a 50th birthday party for my significant other I really want to look good and feel good for this event. (Valentine's Day).

Halloween was okay, because we didn't have the grands this year. Luckily the grands went to parties, so they were happy and I didn't have the candy around.

I made resolutions piggybacked off of you all.

November Resolutions
    *walk 5,000 steps a day
    *drink 8 glasses of water
    *strength training twice a week
    *write down my food every day.

Have a good weekend!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good evening my friends! :flowerforyou:

We went out for a pub lunch with DB and DSIL. They treated us as a joint very late birthday present. :bigsmile: A great time was had by all! It was so great to see them and catch up on all the family news after all this time. DSIL is mostly over her depression and was in good form. I ate carefully, scallops and mussels, but drank a bit too much. Docked myself 900 cals over all, but I had got in 565 cals exercise this morning. Got 465 cals left for the day. Will have scrambled eggs on toast tonight. We managed to persuade DB, who is diabetic, not to have dessert, but to go for cheese. :bigsmile: He was a hero and did the driving, so was on Diet Coke all the time. He is on Street Pastor watch tonight in Southampton, so was happy not to drink. All in all a wonderful time.

Good TV tonight. Happy me. :smile:

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png