WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options
1495051525355»

Replies

• Meow64mix
    Options
    Hi I'm Kitty!
    Any suggestions on where to begin with exercising? I've been inactive the last 6 months due to health reasons and also depression. I need baby steps to get started.

Help! Any direction or suggestions?
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday here and week 2 on Jeannette's plan. I had buckwheat pancakes with banana and blueberries for breakfast, Caesar salad for lunch, making Jamie Oliver pasta carbonara for dinner. Cals = 2027 with snacks. Exercise are: Wii Gold's boxing, JJ's lick-boxing and 1 hour walk = 938. So cals remaining = 1089, a bit low.
    Had a wonderful drive out and doggy walks yesterday and only 7818 steps. boo hoo :\
    Have been blocked from posting to FaceBook as I posted that I did NOT want Charles as King and wanted William. Well Charles is a divorcee and married a divorcee. Does he not remember Wallace Simpson???? >:)
    I did gain weight for this morning but hope it evens out over the 15 weeks.
    Lesley in Tasmania :D
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.spending the afternnon trying recipes from daughters cooking class-chicken with a sauce and ham rigatoni with a cream sauce.
    Dinner tonite
    hugs
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Meow64mix wrote: »
    Hi I'm Kitty!
    Any suggestions on where to begin with exercising? I've been inactive the last 6 months due to health reasons and also depression. I need baby steps to get started.

Help! Any direction or suggestions?

Welcome. Walking is a great starter
  • pipcd34
    Options
    no workout yesterday, made up for it today, didn't quite make 1000 calories :0(.. stats, long version: expresso bike, extreme trail, savage revenge- 1hr, 25min, 22sec, 142aw (average watts/power), 14.1average miles per hour, 20.02miles, beat best time by 33 seconds. average heart rate 142
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Kitty - I started with the exercise bike at work, with a daily goal of 10 minutes. Due to health reasons, that is still my goal on most days. When that is not possible, I try to march in place, or walk around my work or house, or just swing my hips back and forth for a few minutes. Right now lifting light weights while sitting is an option, too. Do what your body allows, and babysteps is a great way to look at it.

I am so happy for the family of Mariah, and the child coming home from the Philapines. I will keep you all in my prayers. Sorry I'm struggling remembering names right now, but I'm not very good on my new tablet.

DS did better at bowling this weekend. His new Saturday League includes at least 4 kids that are already his friends, so he had more fun, so he bowled better. His Sunday league he was against a vacant, and he lost sight of his mark during the second game, but was able to bowl 191 for the first and third games, so he averaged 180 for the day. The rest of his team was glad my DH was there, because he is an amazing coach, but DS will rarely listen to "stupid dad".

I have been struggling with the ice cream that DS and DH asked for but didn't like, so I really need to power through and get a fresh start on Monday (and stick with fruit and vegetables for the rest of today). Luckily, it is getting close to bed-time.

Prayers and Hugs to all ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (snow melted but now getting cold and windy).
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love the flowers, Margaret! They are so beautiful in contrast to the winter we are now having!

Lesley, I’m so glad you found Jeannette’s 15 week challenge. You seem to be so happy with it. I’m glad it’s working for you. Wow! I didn’t realize you could get banned from Facebook for saying your didn’t want Prince Charles to be King.

Heather, great news about retrieving the child from the Philippines. How tragic to have done that to a sweet child. How old is the child? Glad you had a good visit with your family.

Toni, in a word…yes, it’s hard to lose after 60, but several of these ladies have done it, so I guess we can, too!

Jacqueline, good luck with the aqua fitness instructor class.

Joyce, I know what you mean about Christmas and presents. I have a hard time giving just giving money or a gift card, but on the other hand if that’s what they really need they will appreciate it a lot and are probably counting on it to help them out. Don’t stress yourself out!

Kim, Thank you! I’m really trying…I want to enjoy Christmas instead of being glad when it’s over!

Joyce, I come from a very large family. I’m the 9th of eleven children. My parents had 26 grandchildren and I’ve lost count of how many great grandchildren and great great grandchildren they had. We never could afford to pull names or give to everyone. There were just too many of us, so we bought for our parents, our Godchildren, and our children’s Godparents. My parents insisted on giving everyone. They gave the couple $20 and $5 for the grandchildren and great grandchildren for Christmas. We always felt badly because we didn’t feel they could afford to give that money. Now that I have children and grandchildren, I can definitely understand how expensive it gets! Like you, I would have a hard time if I couldn’t give my children and grandchildren at least a little something. I wonder if the couple are asking for a gift for their children so they can afford better gifts for the other children. Just a thought.

Michele, I’m so glad that Denise and Petey joined you for Thanksgiving!

Sylvia, you are entirely too hard on yourself. I think your “funk” is not letting you see the wonderful person that the rest of us see. You do not look old and fat. You look like a wonderful lady who is intently working at her craft! You are a beautiful person inside and out. Look in the mirror, please, and say something nice to yourself! You deserve the kind words. I hope you start feeling better soon! Hugs to you! (Oh, and by the way, the pottery is beautiful!)…it took me a few tries to get the link to work, but I finally got it. I love the idea of jeans instead of stockings! What a great idea!

Barbie, good luck with your visitors. I agree with Kim. Focus on the child and talk to the mom about her daughter.

Alison, I’m glad you found the PKD society. They’ve been around for a while. I had a patient with kidney disease and looked them up about 10 years ago.

Yanniejannie, I’m sure you look better on that calendar photo than you think! I think we all are overly critical of pictures of ourselves!

Monica, welcome! I’m relatively new myself, but I enjoy this group because so many have reached their goals and are very supportive.

Katla, good luck with your Christmas decorating! I hope that DH’s recovery goes well.

Terri, good luck with the ice cream. It’s a weakness of mine, so I won’t buy it anymore.

I have a tremendous amount of work to get done in my house, but my DD#3 had to take a trip to New Orleans, so DH and I went over to her house to deliver another load of stuff that was left here. Previously, we just left the boxes in the hope that she would have time to put them away. She told me the other day that everyone is just digging in the boxes and messing everything up, so instead of just leaving the boxes, I put up all of the children’s clothes and cleaned the girl’s room. She wants to have a big Christmas tree, but really doesn’t have the money to get one this year, so I told her that we would bring ours to her. We’ll, also, bring her outside decorations. When we tried to find the Christmas tree, we couldn’t find it. We looked everywhere…garage, DH’s shop, and the attic. Then we looked in our storage rental, DH#2’s storage, and DH#3’s storage. You would know it was in her storage. We took it to her house and realized if she wanted it set up there was a lot of cleaning that would have to be done and she is getting ready to have finals, so we did our best and cleaned up for several hours. I just spoke with her and she’s on her way home. It should have taken her 2 ½ to 3 hours to get home, but she’s been on the road for 7 hours and isn’t home yet. She said traffic was awful and at times she felt she could have walked home quicker. I just hope her mood improves! As for DH and I we are so tired, I think it will be an early evening for us.
    I hope that everyone has had an opportunity to enjoy family and/or get some rest during this holiday. Hugs and prayers for all!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    smiley-happy110.gifOnce again, my brain is my worst enemy. Our visit with Jake's friend and his family was great. They arrived a bit later than expected and left early than they planned because the roads were icy. They arrived thrilled to see us and that started the visit on a happy note. Sasha was able to get along and even though she barked a lot, the little girl loved the attention from both dogs and had a fabulous time. I acted the way I wanted to feel and began to feel as good as I was acting. We had a great lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant and I brought half my meal home for dinner. Thank you all for your encouragement. Now I am enjoying my own space while Jake talks on the phone with his brother.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. Maybe when I feel better I will feel better. That makes sense if you think about it. I've had a miserable day physically. The grandkids came over for dinner, but I felt so bad that we took them home a little early. I'm going to take some Tylenol and go to bed early.

Tomorrow I have a busy day, so I'd better recover quickly.

Barbie, glad your visit went so well!

Leslie, I know I don't get a vote, but I'd vote for William too. He seems so nice and level headed. Kate would make a wonderful queen. It's a strange thing to get banned from Facebook for, though. I hate facebook though, so it wouldn't hurt me too much.

Kitty, I think walking is a great way to get started too. It also helps depression. Bonus! Do you have a friend you could walk with? Getting a fitness tracker, like a fitbit, can help too, with motivation. Helps to make a game out of it.

Speaking of fitbits, I saw a new one out that shows the time, like a watch, and number of steps, not just flashing lights. I want one! I can't count the number of times I've looked at my fitbit to see what time it is. It feels like a watch, so it ought to BE a watch.

Well, I'm off to bed. Tomorrow will be a better day!

Sylvia
    45477098.png[/url]}
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Leslie Sansone's 5 Day Slimdown DVD today. Tomorrow's plan is to do more of the Belly DVD, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

Cynthia - I didn't realize that banks have something that they can register all my cards and cancel them if needed. Is there a price for this?

Heather - why would you think it wouldn't be appropriate to post a pic of your dh's nephew smiling with the child? Now if you were to post it on a social media (like facebook), some people might object to that. But here? I don't think so.

barbie - thanks so much for posting that note from Viv. How my heart aches for her!

Sylvia - I had a hard time seeing the pics of you. Finally did (thanks to your telling me to click on the photo). Honestly, I think you look lovely. I know that whenever I'm sitting down and/or leaning over, I don't look as good as I do when I'm standing upright. That's probably the same way with you. I'm sure that you're loss is evident when you stand up. I don't see any 300 pound woman in the pics. Stop beating yourself up, you look like the kind of person who I would want making something for me -- someone who concentrates on my piece of work and only my piece of work. Love, love, love your jean idea

barbie - good luck with your phones. Ours has the caller ID announce feature and it is very handy, especially at dinnertime. You know, in a way I hope Jessica is watching Mya (the dog she was watching) over the summer. I'd love to go up there and take that dog for a LOOONNNGGG walk. One way to see Reston! Glad everything went so well with Jake's family

We started putting out the Christmas decorations. Well, actually getting started to put them out. We got some lights on the "fence" around the front of the property, then we put out some extension cords, got the controllers out. I actually got confused between the "male" end of the cord and the "female" end. Not that this is an engineering principle....lol I stopped at WalMart but totally forgot to get the coleslaw. Well, I'll probably go tomorrow anyway to get milk at the sale price. Maybe after bowling I'll go to Bi-Lo and then to WalMart then home. Before dinner we went to Lowe's Hardware to get more PVC pipe (Vince has some new idea that he wants to do), some more cubetaps, more bailing wire.

katla - I don't get the "don't lose any more" routine, but I'm constantly getting the "why don't you eat this and that" "you never used to eat like this". I get so sick and tired of that. I like vegetables -- so kill me. My stomach doesn't like when I have a lot of fats so I avoid them and only have a small amount. What's wrong with that? I'm not a big fan of the package butter and noodles, big deal. And so it goes on and on and on. I agree, Pioneer Woman's family probably doesn't gain weight because of their hard work on that ranch. That's not exactly common. I just can't take all her butter in things.

jb - LOVE your pic

Monica - welcome!

kitty - First off, welcome! So sorry you were sick, but glad you're better now. I agree with pipcd, walk even for 10 minutes

Lesley - who blocks you from posting on Facebook? I wonder how they determined something like that.

terri - I'm constantly amazed at how good your son is at bowling. We have our senior league tomorrow. Really, I go more for the comradship and to have a good time (and try to get better -- doesn't always work, tho). If there's something in the house that Vince said he'd like but in the end didn't, although I feel bad, I have been know to either donate the remainder or even throw it out

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just posted the new thread for December.....here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10027819/women-ages-50-for-december-2014?new=1

• pipcd34
    Options
    20 degrees in Washington, a bit of a bite riding into the gym this morning
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    33qf1g4a7uva.jpg
    I see a lot of dog people here so here is my baby Riley.

Decided to give away the rest of the left over Thanksgiving to my son to keep away the temptation. We didn't go hog wild - but definitely ate off plan for several days. Back to meal planning and portion control. One more birthday meal tomorrow - but it is breakfast so I can do eggs with no guilt as Son 1 enjoys his pancakes. :smile:

The Hubs went to the Ortho doctor today and confirmed a broken shoulder blade (fell off the attic ladder). No treatment other than rest for 4-6 weeks. No damage to the shoulder socket though so we are very thankful it wasn't worse.

Diana in Indiana
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    x

• barbiecat
    Options