WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie: I’m so sorry for all your turkey woes. What a mess! I hope you can laugh about it. Things have to improve from there. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I don’t think you’re a Scrooge. I wonder if the parties are intended to help those who don’t have family nearby. We’ve had a couple of holidays on our own with kids far away. It is not my first, second or third choice. This year we have T day here with loads of family and are planning to go to DD’s for Christmas, weather permitting. :flowerforyou:

Sweetandsassyfied: I captured the photos of your trees and plan to use them soon as a plan for my own trees! Thank you for sharing!!! :flowerforyou:

Lesley: Your dietitian is brilliant. :flowerforyou:

Alison: You are truly a Guardian Angel for DFIL. I’m glad your persistence is paying off. :flowerforyou:

Anamika: Nice to see you! :flowerforyou:

DH is up and wants to do something fun, so I’ll make this short. Plans for Turkey day are working out quite well. I’ve got my fridge stuffed, and still feel the need to get a few more things to have the bases covered.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I've had a rough few days so I've been pretty silent. I had 135 posts to catch up with yesterday. If I was away that long, y'all know I was not feeling well! On top of that, I think someone is trying (and at least partially succeeded) to start some drama for me and my son. I got a call yesterday that an unnamed source (due to confidentiality) had gotten word that the boy child had not attended class for two weeks, wasn't getting out of bed, and there was indication of potential self harm (he has a history). That wasn't jibing with what I was hearing from my son, but scared the life out me, nonetheless. It took about 90 minutes on the phone with the university trying to figure out what they could do and still respect his right to privacy as an adult. Arrrgghhh!!! They finally had him call me and he couldn't figure out why I was so upset. He's on his way to my parents' right now so my mother is going to evaluate him and get back to me. I will also talk to him later today to assess what I can hear in his voice when I'm not in panic mode. If I don't like what I hear, I will drive up there on Friday to see for myself. I felt a lot better about it when his sister finally got around to telling me that he had called her right after I talked to him, asking, "Why is Mother so upset?!" I'd hate to think that a grown woman would stoop so low as to pull this crap, but she is not totally stable so I can't discount it. I swear that I am nice to her! I'm afraid that she is using my son and me and to get to someone else who cares about us. I'll research that some more this weekend. I HATE DRAMA!!!

In any case, I'm sorry to hear of accidents, illnesses, and the extra stresses that hitting so many of us and our loved ones. Know that I'm thinking about you even when I'm not actively posting. And, thanks for letting me vent about my son. It's all making me exhausted!

Carol in cold, rainy NC
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Good morning from cold and windy Grand Island, Nebraska. This weather is crazy. Prayers to those of you out east who are getting more snow. We are to go to our DD's tomorrow for Thanksgiving and it was decided last evening for sure we will be riding with our DS and his family. Not sure why but I have mixed feelings about that, which is dumb as was my idea to start with. Have to stop at the store after work and pickup a couple pies.
    I am concerned about one of my furbabies this morning. Toby is the oldest and one we have had the longest. He is a teacup poodle. He usually stays to himself, but will sit on our laps in the evenings. This morning he kept following me and tried to climb in the shower with me. Then kept circling me. Not sure what is going on, but gave me areally bad feeling. Then of course my mind goes all over and thinking we should not go tomorrow or go and drive ourselves and not ride with our DS. Not sure what is going on with him or I. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Joyce--DH was telling my last evening about their store (O"Reillys) was burnt to the ground at Fergusen. I guess I just do not understand how are this helps. They are destorying peoples jobs, homes, for what.
    Robin--glad you are taking this and turning it into a postive. Have fun redoing the bathroom and getting it done the way you want.
    Sweetnsassyfied--Love the veggie tree, what a great idea.I do have one question, how do you take the veggie off without touching them all? Are the toothpicks sticking out to grab? See you answered this question, Thanks, one thing about this group we can ask those kinds of questions and not feel dumb.
    Beth--I love the great buy. I have to take lessons from you and Michelle.
    Terri--I sure hope you feel better soon, I agree some people just do not know how to drive in the winter weather.
    Steff--You are very Blessed with your blended family. My DH has 6 children and I have one. We have been married 30 years and raised my son and his oldest son together. Growing up we tried to do lots of family things when the kids were with us. Now that they are older most of them do not get along. We always told them the only steps in our family were the ones to the house. I am gratefull that the grandchildren all get along and I think that is because we spend alot of time doing things with as many as we can get together. And we make sure we treat them all the same.
    Yanniejannie--So sorry to hear about your turkey, and that you were not hurt in the fall. Hope the rest of the day was better.
    Heather--Hope you feel better soon. Holidays are no fun if ill.
    Rita--Do hope the weather doesn't keep you from your mom's tomorrow, Please be careful.
    Carol--Do you know who is doing this? I just do not understand what people get out of causing problems for others.
    Happy Thanksgiving to those of us celebrating and Happy Thursday tomorrow. Stay safe and let us count our Blessings,
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    HI gang. Just trying to check in. I'm having a busy day and need to start cooking, but the cleaning lady hasn't shown up yet, which concerns me!

Nikita is doing better and is gaining some weight. She weighs 7 pounds now but is still in preemie clothes. She just looks so tiny! Last Saturday was "November birthday mania" and DH had to call the boyfriend to tell him to show up. He and Tanya had a fight and he thought it best to give her "space". So DH said this was a family event and a special day and to get his *kitten* to the restaurant. He came and they started out tense but seemed to be having fun by the time it was all over.

I'm hosting TD tomorrow for our best friends. Tanya and family will come kind of when they want to. His family is eating at 1 and we are eating at 3, so I said to come at 3 or later for dinner, leftovers, dessert, whatever. His mom and I decided we would do our own family things and let the kids decide how, where, and when they want to spend the holidays. His family celebrates Christmas on the 24th, so this year, I'll have them for brunch then we'll head out to our friends around 4. So it all works out.

Well that's about it from here. It's a very dreary day with off and on rain, but it will be in the 60s by Sunday. Take care everyone. Have a blessed Thanksgiving if I don't get here tomorrow. Meg from Omaha
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    like Rita said it is a sloshy ,messy sleet,snow ,rain mix
    not pretty and not great to drive in.. I went over to see DFIL early and got a big smile, still quite sleepy but slowly he is coming back...
    then worked 8-1 3 of us girls put the tree up and decorated. have a load of laundry in the washer and one in the dryer, pumpkin pie in one oven ,cheesecake in another..
    will keep busy the rest of the night.. have shoveled off the deck once already and will go out in a bit and do it again..
    with this kind of weather our sattalite goes out,so no t.v. and the only radio I have is in my room, I guess I could stream something off here huh..
    Vicki- thinking of Toby we have a teacup poodle mix and when he isnt feeling well, he is up all over us cant get close enough to us.. so hope maybe just a little tummy trouble ...
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great day,busy baking and cooking for tomorrow
    hugs jane
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    My back is already feeling better. Feels like mild whiplash from hamstrings to upper neck, but nothing like yesterday. Which is lucky, since we are so much busier today than yesterday, so I am moving a little faster. I hope I am ready to get on the bike tomorrow.

DH does the cooking for tomorrow (his turkey is even better than his Mom's turkey). My Dad makes the dessert, and I make the appetizers. This year it is bacon wrapped waterchestnuts for me and Dad, and brown sugar marinated lil' smokeys for DS and DH. My youngest sister has a tummy issue, so she is staying home this year. 4 people for Thanksgiving is going to be such a mellow, relaxing treat (my Dad is from a family of 5, Mom was from a family of 11, we had 5, youngest sisters hubby's family is 14, my hubby's family is 5, then add spouses and children and grandchildren and cousins, etc, and it was always a VERY loud and rowdie house every Holiday).

My Middle sister's youngest daughter is having another child in January 2015. Usually their Mom (my sister) would make all the babies a quilt, but she passed in January 2014. Now all her kids expect me to crochet to make up for the quilt they won't get. Tiffany is having a girl, so she requested lavendar. I don't think I have enough yarn in that color, so I will be going to either Michael's or HobbyLobby for my Black Friday shopping. I'm considering going the "lazy" route and buying some bulky yarn for a loose knit, but I'm sure the baby yarn will "speak" to me louder. Since they live in Arizona, the lighter yarn should be fine.

Since my back is feeling better, I think I will stop at the Mexican Grocery Store for fruits and vegetables, so I can nibble on healthy while everyone else eats the "usual" Thanksgiving foods all weekend. Best to be prepared.

Happy Thanksgiving, and Hugs to all ! ! ! :D

Terri in Milwaukee
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Good evening and wishing you a very happy T day tomorrow if you celebrate.
    I must say I'm quite glad not to have another holiday to deal with. :)

DH got very emotional tonight over the problems with his nephew and great niece. We ended up almost arguing, but all is calm now. His sister is going out to the Philippines as soon as possible with his nephew and niece to try and get the child back. Lawyers have been engaged and an injunction goes out tomorrow. The mother of the child faces prosecution and ultimately jail in this country if she doesn't surrender the child. What will happen with custody if they get her back we don't know. All a big mess and all very expensive for people who do not have a lot of money. :cry:

Love to you all and whether you celebrate tomorrow or mourn, may the day be meaningful for you.

Heather in showery Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday and day 3 with Jeannette Jenkins
    Training: Pilates before breakfast (managed 16 mins :'( ) Circuit B (back, bis and thighs) and core after breakfast, 1 hour walk after lunch.
    Enjoyed the breakfast burrito. :D
    Food logged at 1924 and exercise at 621 = 1303 cals remain, OK with that (had to add Chobani yogurt in afternoon though) :D
    Washing clothes and our bed sheets and cleaning house, some weeding this afternoon
    Scales being obstinate and feel like shooting them >:)
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Went to yoga today. I was a bit disappointed in the class. He spent a lot of time talking about how yoga started, etc. I wanted more work. Oh well.... then since there wasn't a deep water class, I just swam some laps for an hour.

The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love's Get Ripped and Chiseled DVD then leave for VA (after breakfast)

After exercise stopped at Bi-Lo. I thought it was just a mistake that I didn't get their circular since their sales usually start on Wednesday. Only this week it isn't starting until Friday (or it may be Thursday). Then went to CVS where I got a tube of toothpaste to donate for 21 cents. Then home

Joyce - I used to be tempted to buy a treat when I was shopping, too. What I do now is keep some snacks in my pocetbook. When I'm tempted to have a treat, I pull out some dried fruit. The other good thing is that I can many times eat my almonds or whatever in the store, you can't bring an ice cream into the store! Who wants to waste time eating when there are bargains to be had???

pipcd - I remember you telling me some of your abbreviations, it'll just take me a while to remember them all....lol I hand it to you, I just don't feel comfortable running constantly. I can run for a little bit, but I always worry about my joints. So I'll walk fast

Joyce - does the size of your heart know any bound?

barbie - whenever I have to go for a fasting blood test, I usually put a bag of cereal or something like that in the car to have once I'm finished

Sassy - we're going to have Rummikub in a few weeks and I'm going to bring one of those "trees" with me. So I'll be eagerly awaiting finding out how they're done. You make them the day before? The veges don't dry out? I was hoping you didn't have to assemble it right before you used it. Do you steam your broccoli before putting it on the "tree"? Oh, I like what you said about the stuffing. Are there any special veggies that you use? I'm thinking broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, the yellow pepper. Maybe you've found some veggies that definitely do not work.

Heather - take care of yourself. You mean very much to us here. I've pretty muchly decided that I will most likely need to do some HIIT at least once/week until New Years. Doing HIIT burns more calories, and right now I sure can use that! Don't you just hate skinny minneys?

Anamika - so glad to see ya! Pop in more often

Carol - you certainly have your hands full. I hate this cold rain. Well, I guess the good thing is that it isn't that dirty "s" stuff!

Just made the sweet potato casserole to take with us. Actually, I found the recipe on Taste of Home, hope it comes out OK. Well...it probably won't matter since I'll be the only one who'll eat it anyway! I used only 1/2 the sugar they said to use and 1/2 the butter. Sweet potatoes are called "sweet" for a reason!

Vicki - hope all's ok with Toby. I'll be looking for an update from you. You know, talking about the Ferguson stuff, do you really think the businesses that were burnt will want to rebuild? Talk about lost jobs (income) -- and for what???? I always used to say that there's only one dumb question and that is the question that isn't asked.

Terri - how nice of you to make the blanket! Yea, that baby yarn just calls us.

So glad Alphonso won DWTS last night.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    exermom- that's one of the reasons why when I run, I do change it up and when I am listening to my music (on my playlist, I run to the beat of the song), some of the music I run at double time (twice as fast as the beat of the song) which will cause me to run REALLY fast for the chorus of the song, then I go back to my usual pace for the verses. so far, knees are ok for as much biking and running that I do.
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Welcome to all the newbies! It's so nice to see so many wonderful people. Prayers to all who having health and or family issues. I hope everything gets better soon. Congratulations to all who are doing so well with their diets and exercise programs! You guys ROCK! Happy Thanksgiving to all, to those who don't celebrate, I hope you have a wonderful day!

Hugs and best wishes to all!

Barb from South Louisiana

P.S. My boss sent us an email just after noon today saying that we could all leave early, so that means I have 4-1/2 days off! I am so excited.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    114039mahn7qxbjj.jpg

My goal for Thanksgiving is to focus on being thankful rather than on eating. We have a very simple meal planned with one good friend.

I am so thankful to have all of you in my life. You have been here for me day in and day out, some of you for years.

smiley-happy005.gifBarbie from NW Washington where the weather is mild (another thing on my thankful list)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful for MFP and every one of you! :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    Options
    Warning: rant below

Remember me telling you about SFB (sh**-for-brains aka Petey the guy Denise is with). Well, every year we have Thanksgiving at Jess' place the day after Thanksgiving. Jess invites Denise every year. Last year Denise kept saying that she was coming then while we were preparing dinner she called to say that she couldn't come because Petey's brother "stole her alternator" Don't ask me to explain. She did post on facebook the next day about how she went someplace.....

Well, this year she kept saying that she was coming. She said that Petey needed to go into work at 12 so we moved dinner up. Now she calls and says that she's afraid to drive herself to Jess'. We thought Petey was going to come also. Seems that he "needs to be there in case they call him to come in early". Plus, he wants to get some sleep before he goes to work (like he couldn't sleep in the car?) Vince just say "so you're telling me that 52 weeks/year, 365 days/year, Petey can't be more than an hour away from Wilmington?"

We just spoke to Jess. When we first told her Denise wasn't going to come, she started crying. You know all that she's been thru with Lance. Vince told Denise how very disappointed he is in her, she knows that her sister is hurting. Doesn't Petey? What kind of relationship is this -- she gives and he takes? We suggested she spend the night at Jess' she said "no, that won't work" "why not" "because I have to take Rex (Petey's dog) out". Vince just said "why can't Petey's mother take the dog out? "She's going to be at her mother's that day in Philly". Philly is a whole lot closer to Kennett Square than NC is! You mean to tell me they have no friends or neighbors who could do that? Just looking at her facebook page, they do. The mother can't leave early to take the dog out? I'm sure she'd do it, she and her husband went so far as to buy them a truck! Not to mention cosigning for apartments for them (and getting stuck for a few thousand once but then she did it again)

I'm sick to my stomach. Now Vince is willing to drive to PA to get Denise to bring her to Jess'. That I can understand. Honestly, I hope they have to stay late, too late for her to take that d*** dog out. He's probably a good dog, but everything has to revolve around this dog?

There is a part of me that wants to stress eat. But I know that I'll feel terrible afterwards.

Supposedly she's coming here on Christmas because Petey is working. Well, what's going to happen to the dog those DAYS?

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    stats for the day - the long version:
    Ride home to gym- 10.05 minutes 17.5 average miles per hour, 3miles
    Spin class- 35 minutes, 80 average revolutions per minute, 120 average watts 12-14 gear, 14 miles
    ride gym to tacoma dome train station- 7.07 minutes 12.0 average miles per hour, 1.4 miles
    ride tacoma dome train station to home- 16.27minutes, 12.9 average miles per hour, 3.5 miles
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michele, I'm so sorry about all the stress with your daughters. How old is Denise? She sounds very immature and thoughtless. Hopefully she can grow out of it. Some people never do. I hope Jess can enjoy the time with you. I don't know who Petey is, but he doesn't sound like a keeper. He isn't bullying her in some way, is he?

We went to pick Spot up after his bath and wow, was he happy to see us! He practically jumped into my arms. He was a 30 pound bullet flying through the air! And, I had no idea that his coat was so shiny! And he smells 100 times better. Late this afternoon, when he thought I was in the other room, I caught hubby sitting next to Spot, petting him and telling him he was a good boy. I think he's coming around! That's the hubby I know and love!

I have dishes going in the D/W, two pumpkin pies in the oven, eggs boiling on the stove, and I'm already tired. Lots more to do before I can go to bed.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sylvia

• exermom
    Options
    Sylvia - Denise is 27. Petey is the guy she's been with since she's been around 18. We're 99.999999% sure he's the one who abused Lexi, although Denise would never admit it. We adopted Lexi hoping that Denise would want to see her (and thereby get away from him) but that didn't work out. We love Lexi just the same. I think Denise is very influential, and, unfortunately, the influence she has isn't a mature influence. Now if she had someone who would influence her in a mature manner, I think she'd be different. To me, Petey's mother is "enabling" him by giving him cars, cosigning for apartments, etc. Probably because she sees how much of a screw-up his brother is and she wants to avoid that for Petey. But what'll happen when the time comes when she's no longer around to bail him out all the time? He only has a high school diploma. I don't see where she's doing anything to prepare him for life without her. This is the first "real" job that he has, previously he's always worked for family members. Now, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with working for family. But the truth of the matter is that if you make an error, a family member is more likely to overlook it and give you a second and even third chance. If you mess up on a "real" job, your employer doesn't have a hard time at all handing you a pink slip.

Well, I think my stress-desire-to-eat has passed. I had some of my tofu/cocoa and that seemed to have done it.

How wonderful that your hubby was towards Spot. Warms my heart!

When we told Jess that Vince was going to pick Denise up, she said that she needed me (that made me feel good) to help with the set up and cleaning up for Thanksgiving.

Michele in NC
  • SbRaza
    SbRaza Posts: 23
    Options
    Have struggled with my weight as long as I can remember. Done every diet known to men and beast only to lose some and gain heaps more....presently I can't get around much because of bad case of Plantar Fasciitis, still trying to swim whenever I can. I don't let this condition take over my life. It's been very hard but I'm trying to login everyday, take care of myself and be positive.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    OMG! 114 posts to read… and it is after 9pm… ok here goes… If I missed you it is my fault, at some point my eyes will start to cross!!!

Bye the way Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Michele – my graham crackers get soft, so I put them in a single layer in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes and they crisp right up. So I was not clear on a “plank” finally youtube-d it and have done one a couple of days in a row… I am super impressed with 2 min… I did 3 seconds and thought I would die.

Cynthia – are you cataloging graveyards for your employment? Or is it for a genealogy project or maybe both??

Heather - what an interesting dating story… it is surprising sometimes what triggers memories
    You and your friends look like you are having fun!
    Margaret – Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

Tina – the last battle made me bawl… My Levi came and licked away the tears…

Robin – wow! Glad you were home

Sassy – welcome! Great Dog! Even better “trees” What a great idea!

Katla – I am caffeine free except for a bit of chocolate… 30 years ago or so I had cysts in my breasts and the doc thought they were caffeine caused (I was doing 10 cups of coffee a day) went cold turkey – it was that or biopsies – and 6 weeks later and ever after, all the cycsts/lumps and bumps gone….

Lena100ca - for most of us logging our food was the place we started then added the exercise… I walk my dog about 1 hour a day, and am just now adding some minor floor exercise…

Dstirratt – Oh my so glad to hear that DH is not worse off…. That kind of a fall could have been so bad.

Beth – Great score! You’ll love your kitchen aid!

Yanniejannie – Oh what a mess! Glad you were not hurt!

November Goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png