WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,187 Member
    Hi everybody! Two days in a row! I am on a roll!

Thanks for the welcome back's. It makes me feel good that you all think of me. Makes this a very welcoming place.

Well signed up for the gym yesterday and did 30 minutes of cardio. I go today at noon to talk to a trainer. The gym had a special going on that included 4 sessions with a personal trainer, unlimited tanning, unlimited access to all locations, and unlimited classes if I paid for a year at 199. Not bad so signed up with Work Out World (WOW).

Could not go to sleep last night and woke up early this morning. The time change is messing with me I think!

Well have to go back to work.

Rita from CT
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hi ladies. The "circle of life" has done run me over! My dad died last night after being on hospice for all of 4 hours. My daughter is being induced tomorrow. Visitation Thursday, Funeral on Friday, sleep all weekend I hope! Please know that I am cheering you all on. Take care my friends, Meg from Omaha who also needs to vote today to get rid of all those stupid TV ads!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Oh, Meg........I am so sorry. I truly hope you get all the support needed to get through this difficult time.........((((((((HUGS))))))))).....will be thinking of you.

Well the Dish guys have been and gone, both very nice and the tv pic is better than it has been in a long time. DD in off riding with a friend, later she has a shift at the show barn.

Pat ....Great source for chicken recipies!!! Have marked it. Thanks!

Margaret.......That eagle pic was gorgeous! I am fortunate to live in a n area where they are not scarce.

janemartin.....Good thoughts to you; hope your health issues are resolved.

carol.........Where do I start??? Your life is so trying right now. My heart is breaking for your DD's health problems.

Sylvia.........YAY for Spot!!!

Sharon..........Totally agree about the stars; that's a movie I plan on seeing.

auntyfred.........WOW!!!! You are active!

Dee Dee.......Good morning to you too!!!

Got to run.
    yanniejannie.........happy with tv back!!
    mid-Atlantic

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Happy Tuesday, hope everyone that can gets out to vote. I plan to go on the way home from work this evening. Another bad food day yesterday, I am starting to sound like a broken record. Had to get signed up for health insurance and boy is it confusing. Most doctors will not be in the first teir so will have larger co-pay. So many changes again this year. Only good thing is hospital is putting in acount $1000 to use for co-pays.

Lesley--Hope all goes well with your appointments today.

Yanniejannie--I agree about the pictures from surgery. I asked my doctor last time they gave me the pictures what I was to do with them. Said I could send them in Christmas cards. Somethings I just do not feel the need to share pictures of my insides.

Jane--sending prayers and hugs. Hope you feel better soon. Getting that time of year again.

Joyce--I agree I will be glad when the election is over today. I have been getting several calls a day with recordings about which person to vote for.

Sylvia--glad to hear Spot figured out the door.

Meg--sending you prayers and hugs. Know losing a parent is never easy, no matter how sick they were. Remember to take care of yourself and take it one day at a time.

Well ladies time to get busy. Trying hard not to give in to snacking. Things at work are pretty stressful right now. So many changes and people getting let go. One day at a time. For now atleast my dept is safe, but down the road who knows. Sounds like the sun is to shine up in 60's. I work till 6 pm. With this time change I come to work in the dark and go home in the dark.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Meg, I'm so sorry about your dad! And no time to grieve properly because there is a new baby coming, like it or not. Such stress! Please remember to take care of yourself first.

Well, it happened. Hubby and I were talking and I told him I was worried about what to do with Spot when we go to Columbia next week for his chemistry conference. We don't have a shot record for him, he's not on heartworm meds, and he still has an itchy butt. The vet won't board a dog with no shots. So, hubby said "Just do what you think you need to do for Spot." Translation...I get to keep him if nobody claims him. So, today I made the appointment for him to get the works at my vet. I will still consider him my foster doggie for several months, unless somebody calls about him, (the ad came out in the newspaper today) but even a foster doggie needs care. I knew Spot would win him over. He is totally irresistible!

I got up at 5 am to check on Spot and see if he needed to go outside, and he was in the recliner, soaking wet. He had gone outside by himself! In the rain! So, he is good and truly door trained.

Well, I have to get busy. Have a great day everyone.

Sylvia
    in Kansas, which my be turning purple today.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,594 Member
    Good afternoon ladies!
    Hugs for Jane, Meg, Carol etc. And congrats to all the losers.
    Welcome new people! ! ! ! !:flowerforyou:

Today my new, ice blue KitchenAid arrived! :drinker: DH and I celebrated by making a Chocolate Roulade ! It is safely in the freezer for Christmas. :bigsmile:
    I am sooooo happy with it. Next thing to make is some bread. I have sent off for the free cookery book and the free ice cream maker. :laugh:

Off to Womens' Institute meeting tonight. It's all about campaigning on womens' issues. Not a barrel of laughs then!

Been doing the Christmas shopping online for the DGC, but I am now officially broke. I took money out of savings for the KitchenAid and for our holiday in February that we had to pay for today. Also paid for yoga with a post dated cheque! ! ! ! I did manage to pay my credit card bill. :) No money left now until my rental pays up. :sad: I must ring the solicitor about my legacy again - even a small down payment would help.

Got to finish dinner. It's Hairy Bikers again! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in cold Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member

Meg: thinking of you; don't forget to eat, sleep and breathe!

Sylvia: Go Spot!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Here's one of the soup bowls I posted last month. Some of you asked to see it finished. It holds 1 3/4 cups, so it's pretty small, but the right size for an individual soup.

x4fucdc6whc1.jpg

I hope the picture works. We're all pretty new at this system.

Sylvia

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    Hi all,
    Surviving work, one day at a time. I wish I were better. oh well. It is cold and rainy when I get home so I do what I have to do and then become a lazy bum. I am still losing but that is only because I still have no appetite.

I hope you are all well. Bodi and Ritter have readjusted to the work routine.

Robin, Bod and Rit
    PNW
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Hi ladies,
    Thoughts and prayers for all in need.
    meg so sorry for your loss, take care

weather dreary dark and rain, but managed to get some work done that needed it, trying to keep busy and not think about needless eating, can use more steps anyway...
    best wishes to all welcome to our new ladies
    juanita
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    yannie, I think people still see you as a nurse and think that you would empathize and be interested in the pics. Now me, I truly like seeing things like that. Of course I am the one who loved to dissect any dead animal I could do, I found it so interesting. no problem is that you have to make sure that the animal is dead. I had no idea that turtles could lay so still for long time. Poor thing, I found out he wasn't dead when he moved when I put the knife in. My Mom soon learned that they needed to get me my own set of knives so I didn't use the ones from the kitchen. But that big turtle shell was one of my prized possesions. I suppose if some one from FBI profilers (thing the show Criminal minds) learned of me I would be on the FBIs most wanted list! I loved my surgery training.

Just got back from voting. I is a rainy day but the line was a full 1/2 hour. Charlie couldn't figure out how to use the computerized voting machine last year and was to stubborn to ask for help so he was apprehensive today but the way he described i think he did it right.

I talked to my sister last night and it looks like Thanksgiving will be like it used to be before the families started growing. She has a small house but open plan. We used to put a big table in their living room but anyone in the living room can't ever get out of their seat because there was no room. So we would just have to have double serving bowls. No one has called back today for estimates. I am beginning to worry that the family room won't be done before Christmas.

Meg, I am so sorry about all that is going on in your life right now. I know that normally the birth of a baby, especially a grand child, is rejoiced but I know you have a lot of apprehension over this.

Sylvia, love the finished product. How much money do you get out of a bowl like that?

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Sylvia, beautiful! I would buy them!

Oh, WHY does no one (including herself) call me when my Mom is sick for ten days and falls down on the kitchen floor because she's dehydrated, and then refuses to go to the doctor?? Can you hear my head banging against the wall?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Joyce: No political ads and no political calls will be good news. We’re on the no call list, but evidently political campaigns are exempt. :grumble:

Vicki: Happy Anniversary! :flowerforyou:

Auntyfred: As active as you are, I’m sure you can lose a few pounds. Sometimes they don’t come off just when we want them to, but they eventually come off. Just remember to log every bite and swallow. Water is free and alcohol turns to pure sugar in your system. :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: DD and the kids are s still here. DH was stupid and lifted too much weight so he’s back in pain. I hope he didn’t do any real damage. Prayers and good wishes are welcome. :flowerforyou:

Rita: It looks like you’re doing good things for yourself. Good going! :flowerforyou:

Meg: I am so sorry for the unexpected loss of your father. :flowerforyou: Perhaps the birth of your daughter’s baby will add a ray of hope to your life. I hope so. Take time to take care of yourself at this difficult time. :heart:

Sylvia: You are so good to Spot, and everyone else you love. I wish I could buy some of your soup bowls. They look wonderful! :flowerforyou:

Robin: I am sending good wishes to you as you adjust to being back at work. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I’m sorry that your mom hurt herself. Is she doing okay now? People can be stubborn about their independence. :flowerforyou:

DD and the kids are here, and I haven’t worked so hard since I stayed with them. I love them, but they are definitely HIGH maintenance. I’m hanging in there.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Prayers to everyone currently needing them. Congrats to everyone with good news and accomplishments.

Here's mine: In March I bought 3 pairs of work pants, 2 in the size I was wearing, and 1 pair the next size larger, because I was sure this RA would cause me to gain weight. When the larger size was fitting, I planned to take the 1 pair of smaller size that I hadn't yet worn back to the store to exchange for a larger size. Then a few months ago I re-found MFP. I no longer wear the larger size, so I'm happy that I did not exchange the smaller size.

Also, I am excited that the person attending the Kenny Rogers concert with me Friday is my best friend from High School. She lives near the Concert, and we haven't seen each other in several decades.

Now, close the books at work, stop to buy lottery tickets, and vote. Then home to find out how much Papa John's thin mushroom pizza I can eat without going over.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited November 2014
    Wednesday and got in 10356 steps.
    Jeannette's Cardio kick-boxing today and 1 hour walk.
    Dietitian just cancelled my appointment for today but will still see doctor at 3.20pm as she is going on holiday.
    Lesley in Tasmania
    67586641.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,127 Member
    edited November 2014
    smiley-happy093.gifSharon, the longer I decline foods that aren't good for me or aren't on my plan for the day, the easier it gets. Many of my friends are accustomed to how I eat. There is an occasional person who makes a comment with a bit of a "tone" but I've learned to ignore them and stay focused on what I want for my life.

smiley-sport040.gif Mary, I make walking a very high priority in my life.....I go to bed earlier so I'll have more time to go for a walk in the morning even on days when I have to be somewhere early. Last night I walked back and forth through the house at bedtime to reach my steps goal for the day.

smiley-sport035.gifRita, congrats on getting going at the gym and getting a good price for your membership

smiley-hug008.gifMeg, sending hugs to you.....two weeks after my mother died, we moved into her house and Jake's wild 16 year old son moved in with us......you have all of us to lean on even if it is from a distance.

smiley-bounce002.gifYanniejannie, I know how great it is to have TV back after it's been gone awhile

927093rf1pk0fzph.gifSylvia, congrats on your decision to take steps to make Spot a real part of your family.

smiley-sport035.gifLesley, I love hearing about your active days.

smiley-happy110.gif If you are new to this thread, I hope you will keep coming back and join in the conversation....before too long, you'll feel like part of the family.

smiley-chores004.gifI've done more cooking in the last few days than I've done all year.....roasting the turkey, then making soup out the three carcasses I got to bring home from the big dinner, then using some of the broth to make pumpkin apple soup, and later today making chopped liver. The dogs love the smells and keep coming into the kitchen hoping that there will be something for them.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

November Resolutions
    *walk 18,000 steps a day
    *don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    *strength training twice a week
    *put important dates on the 2015 wall calendar

146200.png

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Hello to all: Voted this morning about 10:30, no line. Went out to the stable to take care of my horse and they had a huge bowl of Halloween candy sitting in the tack room. I was okay until I stopped on my way out to talk to another boarder, then ate three pieces. Felt yucky all the way home. Left knee was really hurting this morning, don't know why, but step count is down because of it.

Meg - Thinking of you. Wow, sometimes it seems life hits us with just too many things all at once. Hope the birth goes well. Don't forget to take care of you.
    -
    Robin - Sending good thoughts your way and hope you feel better.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Wow! What a difference one hour makes with daylight savings time! Left work, picked up my neighbor who is having chemo and can't drive, went to the polls and came home. It was already dark. ( Oh, and I'm not really fond of winter either!) :)

Thanks everyone who helped me to decipher the abbreviations! I really appreciate it.

Meg - I'm so sorry about your father. Saying a prayer for you and your family. So excited for you that you will have a new grandchild tomorrow. I wish that it wasn't such a sad time for you!

Thank you, again, to everyone for being so welcoming! You ladies are AWESOME!

Barb from South Louisiana
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Meg - (((( HUGS )))). The same circle of life scenario happened to my boss last month. Take care.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,471 Member
    Did 50 minutes of spinning today. So glad I have those downloadable spinning workouts. Wish I could get more, but the guy who made them has passed away. Tomorrow's plan is to go to yoga and then take the deep water class.

Today was one of those uber-hectic days. Started out by exercising, came home and had breakfast (I have a little something before exercising, but then a bigger breakfast when I get home), put a load of laundry in the wash and then the dryer before leaving, then volunteered at the Green Room, then went and did a bit more work on the ceramic ladybug that I'm working on, went to WalGreen to get Altoids on sale, stopped at this house to buy honey since they have a sign outside that says they're selling it but didn't get an answer at the house. They were probably at work. Came home and made some of the chocolate bran muffins to have in the freezer, went to Mexican Train dominoes, now home. Phew! Haven't been home much today.

Tomorrow after exercise I'll stop at Bi-Lo to get the things on sale. The ceramic place is open at 4 until around 8 so I think I'll go and just do one little thing. Also, I want to stop at the lady's home to get her flash drive with the Downtown Abbey episodes so Vince can copy them to our flash drive.

Heather or anyone else in the England area - is there a typical English food that I can get in the US that's not bad on calories that maybe I can serve?

Kim - I don't think I'd want a 10lb box of apples. I like apples, but I really don't want to be eating them for years and years to come....lol

Sharon - hope gd feels better fast

Went to Mexican Train tonight. Had the parmesan chicken tenders I brought (I thought they needed less breadcrumbs and more cheese), 2 of what appeared to me to be like the cheese sausage meatballs and some pineapple. Had 48oz to drink, tho. Came home and am running the dishwasher.

Alsion - I'm so sorry dh treated you the way he did.

Thursday we're going to lunch with the Newcomers. Do you know that I had to have them email me a copy of their menu? I'm honestly surprised they didn't have it online especially for people who have dietary restrictions.

Rita - that gym sounds really good and not a bad price at all. I just paid my Y membership for the year, a bit over $400. When you say "access to all locations", do you mean out of state, too?

Meg - I'm so so sorry about your dad. Will your daughter be able to get to the funeral? A death isn't exactly something you plan, maybe they can delay her inducement (is that a word) until after the funeral. Wonder if that's even possible?

Joyce - I've really refined the technique of deleting those political messages that I get on the phone.

Sylvia - I knew it was just a matter of time before you owned Spot. Honestly, I doubt anyone is going to call about him, and you are taking such great care of him. Yea that he's using the doggie door on his own. He certainly is comfortable with your houselhold

Heather - congrats on the new Kitchen Aid. I love mine, somtimes I think that I should just keep it out on the counter all the time. But that would just invite me to bake and I am trying to cut back on that.

Sylvia - great soup bowl. How did you get the pic to be such a large size? When I posted the pic of when we got Lexi, only a very small pic posted. To be honest, I was surprised no one commented on how she had to be bandaged up. I remember being thankful that we'd just bought the house and didn't have bedroom furniture, just a mattress on the floor. That she could step up onto, but there was no way she would have been able to jump on a bed.

Cynthia - ((((hugs))))

katla - good thoughts being sent to your hubby

Sounds like the dishwasher needs emptying, then I'll be getting to bed.

Michele in NC