What's your mantra?

Options

Replies

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

And my absolute favorite: "If you focus on results, you'll never change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."

I really like this one. A mantra that shifts your perspective. I'm going to use it now if that's ok!

Some things I tell myself:

"You are in control of this moment."

"Act as if the whole world is watching." <-- That one really gets me.

Not exactly a mantra, but remembering people who love me and support me and thinking about making them proud.

• Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I can be a bit all or nothing about stuff so my mantra is "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good" this stops me throwing my toys out of the cot and quitting when I'm not doing as well as I want. It also helps me to remember that I AM progressing even if it's not at the pace I set for myself.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Run if you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must.
    Breakfast is tomorrow.
    And my favorite: you can do it!

I think self-motivation is important :)
  • jackandsam12
    jackandsam12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "You can do this...you're worth it...KEEP GOING!"
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    "The only difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude."
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    "The only difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude."

Love this!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    When I have to get out of bed to work out: "Be a soldier"
    When I need to turn away from something tempting: "F that S" (except, you know, with the actual words :))
  • rrabe78
    rrabe78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My favorite, "if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you".
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mqqbj7uhKZ1rz8imlo1_500.jpg
  • PollyPhoenix
    Options
    'Being slim feels better than this (insert naughty food) would taste.'
  • GetFit4Tennis
    Options
    When I am in a spin class the instructor will say go on "attack mode" when we need to pick up the pace. Or beast mode will work too. Another one I like is "dig deeper" when I am in the middle of some cardio work-out.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    How you feel doesn't have to control what you do.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out and things are getting a little tough (I mean, let's be honest, I'm not the fittest person in the world, so when I say "tough" I mean, like, my 4th minute on the treadmill at 3.8mph and a 3 incline, lol) I remind myself that "it's not supposed to be easy."

That's my only real "mantra," though. I need to internalize a few of these about being all-or-nothing and about boredom/stress/emotional eating - far more than working out, those two factors are far and away my two biggest stumbling blocks to success (and they totally play off each other). I'm perfectly aware of it, and I'm working hard on catching myself and changing my attitude, but some quick things to say to myself might help a lot.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm coming back from an injury, and mine has been "You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."

I really like "I can do hard things," and "Breakfast is tomorrow." Also I like to chant "Hard work. Dedication." in my head when things get hard at the gym.
  • Army_Ant
    Options
    Good bye fat boy!!!! Is what i tell myself every time i leave for the gym.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    "One day at a time"

and the saying thats on my profile pic
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general." -Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    "Just for today..."

This comes from the Dear Abby column that runs every New Year. It begins:

"JUST FOR TODAY: I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime."

If you'd like to read the entire column, here's a link:
    http://www.chron.com/life/article/Abby-Resolutions-if-just-for-today-1588101.php
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    What are some positive, encouraging words you say to yourself to keep yourself motivated? What's your mantra, slogan, motto, catchphrase?
    I'm attending two events with buffets this weekend - yikes! - and I may need to borrow a few new mantras!
    "If I just get done with this, I can take a nap."
    "My feet are cold my feet are cold my feet are cold."
    "One more thing to do and I can go inside."
    "One more step. One more step."

Because usually I am running on complete EMPTY and I have a list of things a mile long, usually outside, that HAVE to be done before I can sit.

Like now. I SHOULD be outside chopping wood, but im taking a break so my hands can thaw.
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "Just keep swimming..."
    "Be better than you were yesterday."
    "I CAN and WILL do this."