Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Jeez. How skinny does a guy have to get to "start." He looks pretty lean to me. It's no wonder people give up. Everyone has such bonkers advice on when you're supposed to start. The advice always seems to be different for men vs women too. Women get the whole "eat right below your TDEE and lift." Guys get the "cut until you're a skeleton" then eat like a horse.
    It all depends on what he wants and what he's comfortable with. No one is saying he can't bulk now. Of course that's an option because he can feel free to do as he pleases. He asked for opinions though. I know plenty of people that would bulk there and people that would say cut.

People give up because these things take hard work. And people are generally lazy. When they realize the transition into lower body fat isn't something most people can just half *kitten*, they quit. "F that, I don't want to be lean, I'd rather be big". Well good for them if that's what they want but let's be real, if getting to a lean well defined state was so simple, we'd all be there.

I dunno. There are just so many mixed message. Like what you're saying now. "It's such hard work. People are lazy. Getting a low body fat is so difficult." Talk to the next guy in some inspirational thread. What's he say? "You don't have to starve yourself. All you have to do is lift. Don't do any cardio. TDEE-15 to 20%. It's so easy." Move on to another thread. Fitness chick who's 5' tall 130lbs. "I maintain on 2900 calories. I eat pizza and ice cream every 5 minutes. I eat all the foodz."

Everyone has to find what works for them
    That is the important point.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Totally unrelated, I'm curious why there's a big mirror across from the oven/microwave LOL

Because awesomeness happens in the kitchen. Where you been? :D :P

Damn, you're right. Note to self, hang mirror in kitchen for selfies LOL

That's right....get your selfie on....
    The less clothes, the better too...cause in the words of Nellie...."It's gettin hot in here, so take off all your clothes." :D:D:D:D
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Totally unrelated, I'm curious why there's a big mirror across from the oven/microwave LOL

Well he stated he has been cutting for 2 months and is discouraged already.

Well, ya either get discouraged getting too skinny or get discouraged getting to fluffy. Choice is up to the OP.

He's already discouraged with the recent 2 month cut. So I'm not sure how much longer he can cut like everyone is suggesting.

I think you missed my point. With a higher bf %, especially in the midsection, I wouldn't be surprised if he got discouraged in 2 months because he was looking "fat."

Okay so being discouraged by a 2 month cut = okay. But predicting a 2 month bulk discouragement = OMG!
  • MityMax96
    Options

Well, ya either get discouraged getting too skinny or get discouraged getting to fluffy. Choice is up to the OP.

He's already discouraged with the recent 2 month cut. So I'm not sure how much longer he can cut like everyone is suggesting.

Then he should stop and go sit his @$$ on the couch

Hell I am getting discouraged trying to put on weight....but I have a goal in mind, so I am gonna stick it out....

Everyone has to put on their big girl panties at some point
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I think you missed my point. With a higher bf %, especially in the midsection, I wouldn't be surprised if he got discouraged in 2 months because he was looking "fat."

Okay so being discouraged by a 2 month cut = okay. But predicting a 2 month bulk discouragement = OMG!

You don't even make sense. Seriously.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    I dunno. There are just so many mixed message. Like what you're saying now. "It's such hard work. People are lazy. Getting a low body fat is so difficult." Talk to the next guy in some inspirational thread. What's he say? "You don't have to starve yourself. All you have to do is lift. Don't do any cardio. TDEE-15 to 20%. It's so easy." Move on to another thread. Fitness chick who's 5' tall 130lbs. "I maintain on 2900 calories. I eat pizza and ice cream every 5 minutes. I eat all the foodz."

I want to be that chick!!!

I'm 5'11" 227lbs and I want to be that chick. I lift 4 days a week and have to eat 2300 calories to sometimes not even lose a pound. It's a huge rip off. Plus the entire time I get weaker and weaker. When's the light at the end of the tunnel show up? Oh great, at 8% body fat? Seriously? That's when I can start actually making progress?

Okay, technically I'm 5'6", 130 lbs, and maintain on 2300...but still.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Do you ever contribute any useful advice?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Hell I am getting discouraged trying to put on weight....but I have a goal in mind, so I am gonna stick it out....

Or maybe he's mind isn't some fragile flower and he could handle a slightly higher BF% if he can gain some size like he's been hinting. All depends on what is more important to him.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think it's a little strange that the OP has only been cutting for 2 months and is already hitting a wall?

OP, what's your intake on your cut? What were you doing before cutting?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    On a cut to get any good noticeable change, you are looking at more like 4 months....so yeah 2 months is a little soon to be getting frustrated, honestly
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I don't think you understand. He is ALREADY discouraged by a 2 month cut. Maybe a 2-3 lean bulk is what he needs? So what if he gets discouraged in 2-3 months. 8-12 weeks isn't the worst bulk schedule is it?
  • MityMax96
    Options

Or maybe he's mind isn't some fragile flower and he could handle a slightly higher BF% if he can gain some size like he's been hinting. All depends on what is more important to him.

LOL

So he said he is on a cut....
    So then he should cut and suck it up....Good Lord....don't tell him to bulk if he is wanting to cut
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I sort of liked Aragon's advice of:
    [A]sk yourself, which pisses you off more - your lack of muscle mass, or that roll of fat hanging over your belt? ... Most folks tend to let their disdain for excess of fat and lack of muscle mass coalesce with each other. But in most cases, if given enough thought, one goal's urgency will edge out the other one.

There is no right answer. Ask some bodybuilding types and they may tell you 10-12%, if not lower. On the other hand, some strongmen/powerlifter types would just laugh at such low body fat percentages and are primarily only interested in weight when it comes to making weight for an actual sport. The OP needs to figure out what he wants more now - gains or less fat.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

I don't think you understand. He is ALREADY discouraged by a 2 month cut. Maybe a 2-3 lean bulk is what he needs? So what if he gets discouraged in 2-3 months. 8-12 weeks isn't the worst bulk schedule is it?

I fail to believe he's going to make noticeable muscle gains in 2 months!
  • MityMax96
    Options

I fail to believe he's going to make noticeable muscle gains in 2 months!

pffft...says you.
    I see 20 lbs, of LBM myself. Can you say GAINZZZZZ?!?!?! :D:D
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

LOL

So he said he is on a cut....
    So then he should cut and suck it up....Good Lord....don't tell him to bulk if he is wanting to cut

He said he was on a cut and discouraged. Some results but not what he wanted. Either way he's discouraged. At the same time, he's not happy with the size of his arms or his lift numbers apparently. Hinting at the possibility of going off the cut and doing something OTHER than cutting.