Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    the 1st age crack wasn't from me it was from broscience.
    You may not have noticed, but I think some here would agree that broscience may actually be the one who provided the most help to the OP.

He also provided derailing comments also. Providing help doesn't give one license to derail the thread

I get the feeling you just argue for the sake of arguing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    You may not have noticed, but I think some here would agree that broscience may actually be the one who provided the most help to the OP.

He also provided derailing comments also. Providing help doesn't give one license to derail the thread

It's his MO; it's easier to just ignore him entirely.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Basically every single thread.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

auddii wrote: »

Don't tease me with empty promises. Make your friends promise too okay?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

auddii wrote: »

Don't tease me with empty promises. Make your friends promise too okay?

Alright guys, let's drop this from this thread. Next post should be from the OP with an update on how his training is going. Okay? :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stepping in here to inform that hijacking, trolling and flamebaiting is a violation of Community Guidelines.
    Get back on topic please. Those that cannot will have their posts deleted and possible further restriction of posting on the main forums

Thank you,
    Ninerbuff
    MFP Moderator
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    All right all right. I'm sorry guys. It's NOT my intention to rile everyone up and start fights. Seriously, I am a person who likes everything ironed out. Not possible in something in weight lifting. Something I ALWAYS struggle with. I realize 100% my lifts are no where near good enough, and I have stalled way too quickly, even while I was bulking. Maybe this was because I started too heavy.

I will knock down the weight #s for the next few weeks and work up from there. ****FOLLOWING THE PROGRAM TO A T**** If I stall again, I will be back, and hopefully you all can help me with any issues I may be experiencing. Today's post that has spurred such a frenzy of comments was really just to get a better understanding of why I need to start my lift # So low. To me, it sounds counter productive, but I am by NO MEANS any expert at ALL (obviously) so I trust what you all tell me.

Please just help each other and yes, some of us are dense (or VERY dense) when it comes to stuff like this. I am actually a pretty intellectual person, but it takes a special kind of intellect to be good at understanding things that aren't so 1 + 1 = 2. In this case, 1 + 1 = 3,4,5,-3 ... Depending on your own circumstances. Thanks for continuing to entertain me Blane questions. I DO listen to you all and I DO my own research. It's just a matter of putting it into practice

Thanks again all - no hard feelings I hope. I'll reach out again in a few weeks.

Just re-quoting the OP to continue the discussion. Although nothing more really needs to be said at this point. Glad to see he's taking everything that was said into consideration and look forward to hearing how things are going in a month or two.

My only note would be to focus on form at the lighter weights. It starts light to build that foundation for later weeks. Perfect practice at the beginning when it is easier will go a long way.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I just find it sad.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    To OP; Plenty of great advise given and I won't repeat what's already been said. I am, however, interested in your progress as I am on a cut as well. BTW, which program did you decide to go with?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    5x5
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    All right all right. I'm sorry guys. It's NOT my intention to rile everyone up and start fights. Seriously, I am a person who likes everything ironed out. Not possible in something in weight lifting. Something I ALWAYS struggle with. I realize 100% my lifts are no where near good enough, and I have stalled way too quickly, even while I was bulking. Maybe this was because I started too heavy.

I will knock down the weight #s for the next few weeks and work up from there. ****FOLLOWING THE PROGRAM TO A T**** If I stall again, I will be back, and hopefully you all can help me with any issues I may be experiencing. Today's post that has spurred such a frenzy of comments was really just to get a better understanding of why I need to start my lift # So low. To me, it sounds counter productive, but I am by NO MEANS any expert at ALL (obviously) so I trust what you all tell me.

Please just help each other and yes, some of us are dense (or VERY dense) when it comes to stuff like this. I am actually a pretty intellectual person, but it takes a special kind of intellect to be good at understanding things that aren't so 1 + 1 = 2. In this case, 1 + 1 = 3,4,5,-3 ... Depending on your own circumstances. Thanks for continuing to entertain me Blane questions. I DO listen to you all and I DO my own research. It's just a matter of putting it into practice

Thanks again all - no hard feelings I hope. I'll reach out again in a few weeks.

Just re-quoting the OP to continue the discussion. Although nothing more really needs to be said at this point. Glad to see he's taking everything that was said into consideration and look forward to hearing how things are going in a month or two.

My only note would be to focus on form at the lighter weights. It starts light to build that foundation for later weeks. Perfect practice at the beginning when it is easier will go a long way.

I am for sure focusing on form (and breathing) although I have always been a stickler for good form.

This AM was my first workout using 65-70% of my 1 rep max. Overall, everything was fairly light (to be expected) other than my OHP. I dropped it down a bit, but maybe I need to drop it a bit more.

I'm using 65-70% because that's a medium between what ICF calls for (75%) vs what SL calls for (50%). I'm trying not to let the feeling that I didn't work "hard" today get me down or tempt me to up the weight fast. I'm nervous about progressing too quickly, though, and stalling again quickly. I've been doing more reading in the importance of starting light and building up. I wish I paid more attention to that 3 years ago.

I know I said I'll reach out in a few weeks, but maybe using this as a training log every few workouts or so could be beneficial, esp since most of you know my background by now.

Side note: I realized I achieved the same type of thing with my DL. It's by no means extraordinary, but I started light at about 90 lbs, and found my self up to 250 lbs in a matter of months. Probably my strongest lift, and very possibly because I started LIGHTER (mainly to focus on form) and built up slowly from there. I just noticed that in my training journal, and I found the answer in something I've already accomplished.

Thanks for your continued support and feedback. I will try to not ask the same ?s over and over, just give my own feedback on how my workouts are progressing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Side note: I realized I achieved the same type of thing with my DL. It's by no means extraordinary, but I started light at about 90 lbs, and found my self up to 250 lbs in a matter of months. Probably my strongest lift, and very possibly because I started LIGHTER (mainly to focus on form) and built up slowly from there. I just noticed that in my training journal, and I found the answer in something I've already accomplished.
    See, it works :wink:

If you think journaling more here would help, by all means do it. Especially if you're tempted to increase too fast. We'll talk reason to you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does seem light but think of the fact that there is a relationship between your 1rm and the number of reps you can do at a lighter weight so if you go down and up your reps your max rises to. As you increase your weight back up and keep the reps up your max continues to rise. This is how periodization works.

My first program was a 6 to 8 week cycle setup to increase 1rm for the next peak by around 10-15% depending on how advanced a lifter you are. Each deload was 65% of taget 1rm at 12 reps then progressing to 10 at 75%, 8 at 80% etc. Until you got to the new 1rm. It's a simple and old program but it works by allowing your body to recover from heavy low rep work while still progressing in strength.

Try your program as written and you will start to see the logic of it as you make gains.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, OP. Looking forward to see how you feel in another couple of sessions!
  • va_01
    Options
    What to do about guys who hog the only squat rack in my gym and spend 80% of their time on their phone?
  • va_01
    Options
    I have to say, second day of my lighter lifting and it's not much better and I'm feeling discouraged

I see all these guys around me lifting so much more, seemingly putting in so much more effort. (My lifts were light today and I didn't even break a sweat). I feel so puny next to everyone. I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to. I hope this time is different. I still don't feel like I'm doing this "right". We'll see....

And I never got to do squats because someone was on the squat rack the ENTIRE time I was there. Same person for an hour. Isn't that a little insane? What are some ways I can ask to work in/etc? It would have been easier if he wasn't 5 inches shorter than me.

Also, the bar was being used on the bench. I wasn't sure if DB bent over rows are acceptable, but I did those instead. How do you all work around not being able to do the exercises in the order you need?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I see all these guys around me lifting so much more, seemingly putting in so much more effort. (My lifts were light today and I didn't even break a sweat). I feel so puny next to everyone. I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to.
    Try not to let it distract you. Although I am a beginner and train at home, I'm almost 100% positive that about 95+% of all guys who train (yourself included) can probably put up numbers much higher than I can on almost every exercise. But although my lifts are puny, I know am at least making progress compared to day 1.