Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I was doing an edited version of icf 5x5 but it basically turned into my own thing. An A/B Style workout 3x / week: (modified now and then. Switching between 5x5 and 8-10x3 for reps and sets every other week or so recently)

A:
    Squat
    Bench press
    Bent over db row
    Lateral db raise
    Shrugs
    Tricep press down
    Push ups

B:
    Deadlift (sometimes)
    Overhead press
    Last pull down
    Close grip bench press
    Row
    Dumbbell curl
    Rear delt flies

It's varied over the past few months. Again I triedto begin switching up reps and set schemes to get more variety. But it's ahed to gauge my progress that way

He mentions what he "does" already.

You're right, my bad. It also mentions that he is doing his own thing and not following a program like it is built. That's his issue. Period.

All right all right. I'm sorry guys. It's NOT my intention to rile everyone up and start fights. Seriously, I am a person who likes everything ironed out. Not possible in something in weight lifting. Something I ALWAYS struggle with. I realize 100% my lifts are no where near good enough, and I have stalled way too quickly, even while I was bulking. Maybe this was because I started too heavy.

I will knock down the weight #s for the next few weeks and work up from there. ****FOLLOWING THE PROGRAM TO A T**** If I stall again, I will be back, and hopefully you all can help me with any issues I may be experiencing. Today's post that has spurred such a frenzy of comments was really just to get a better understanding of why I need to start my lift # So low. To me, it sounds counter productive, but I am by NO MEANS any expert at ALL (obviously) so I trust what you all tell me.

Please just help each other and yes, some of us are dense (or VERY dense) when it comes to stuff like this. I am actually a pretty intellectual person, but it takes a special kind of intellect to be good at understanding things that aren't so 1 + 1 = 2. In this case, 1 + 1 = 3,4,5,-3 ... Depending on your own circumstances. Thanks for continuing to entertain me Blane questions. I DO listen to you all and I DO my own research. It's just a matter of putting it into practice

Thanks again all - no hard feelings I hope. I'll reach out again in a few weeks.

It's absolutely the best to go back and build your strength base. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I was doing an edited version of icf 5x5 but it basically turned into my own thing. An A/B Style workout 3x / week: (modified now and then. Switching between 5x5 and 8-10x3 for reps and sets every other week or so recently)

A:
    Squat
    Bench press
    Bent over db row
    Lateral db raise
    Shrugs
    Tricep press down
    Push ups

B:
    Deadlift (sometimes)
    Overhead press
    Last pull down
    Close grip bench press
    Row
    Dumbbell curl
    Rear delt flies

It's varied over the past few months. Again I triedto begin switching up reps and set schemes to get more variety. But it's ahed to gauge my progress that way

You're right, my bad. It also mentions that he is doing his own thing and not following a program like it is built. That's his issue. Period.

All right all right. I'm sorry guys. It's NOT my intention to rile everyone up and start fights. Seriously, I am a person who likes everything ironed out. Not possible in something in weight lifting. Something I ALWAYS struggle with. I realize 100% my lifts are no where near good enough, and I have stalled way too quickly, even while I was bulking. Maybe this was because I started too heavy.

I will knock down the weight #s for the next few weeks and work up from there. ****FOLLOWING THE PROGRAM TO A T**** If I stall again, I will be back, and hopefully you all can help me with any issues I may be experiencing. Today's post that has spurred such a frenzy of comments was really just to get a better understanding of why I need to start my lift # So low. To me, it sounds counter productive, but I am by NO MEANS any expert at ALL (obviously) so I trust what you all tell me.

Please just help each other and yes, some of us are dense (or VERY dense) when it comes to stuff like this. I am actually a pretty intellectual person, but it takes a special kind of intellect to be good at understanding things that aren't so 1 + 1 = 2. In this case, 1 + 1 = 3,4,5,-3 ... Depending on your own circumstances. Thanks for continuing to entertain me Blane questions. I DO listen to you all and I DO my own research. It's just a matter of putting it into practice

Thanks again all - no hard feelings I hope. I'll reach out again in a few weeks.

It's absolutely the best to go back and build your strength base. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Because, at the end of the day, we do really want to see you succeed!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    honestly, I'm not trying to be a pest. I am trying to get this right and understand it. I want to get results now. I want to start off at something that I can progress with. I feel like, again, people are telling me to start with a weight I should choose. That obviously hasn't helped me out at all the past 3 years.

That's why we keep telling you to FOLLOW THE PROGRAM AS WRITTEN. You will progress quickly and delay stalling. Stop overthinking this.

Seriously. Holy crap man. Stop trying to figure out everything on paper and running this thread in circles. Stop over analyzing things (and doing it poorly) and just go lift some damn weights. You're not trying to be a pest but the level of basic understanding of things that are being laid out for you over and over is mind numbing.

No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet.

It's his thread. He can ask whatever he wants. If you don't like what he's asking or posting, simply don't reply.

Wait......hold on, let me reread my post to see where I was addressing you.

Brb......

Wait, hold on, let me reread my posts to see where he was addressing YOU. His reply was to me. Then you threw in your 2 cents.

FACT: This is HIS thread that HE created. He can post in HIS thread as he wishes. Not you, me or anyone else can tell him what he can post in HIS thread. You have three choices. Help him, berate him like you've been doing or don't reply.

Your use of capital letters to attempt to prove your point is impressive.

I appreciate you allowing my post to massage your emotions the way it has. Makes me feel tingly.

I appreciate the fact that you finally recognize that telling someone what to do in their own thread is effin' ridiculous. Even more so where you try to berate someone for replying to their own reply string.

You're batting 0-2 right now. Congrats. I'd love it if you reply with another off topic reply to HIS thread because your e-feelings got hurt. Just leave it alone. If you don't like his replies, don't reply. It's not a difficult concept to grasp

Can't we all just get along?

We're trying to help the OP by answering his questions, but he keeps asking the same ones over and over again.
    No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet

This isn't helping anyone

But asking the same question over and over and seemingly ignoring the responses is?

Like I said, it's his thread. No one is being forced to reply against their will. It's up to him to decide what advice is helping. If you can't get through to him, so be it.

It's not his thread...he happens to be the Original Poster, but he doesn't own it. It's a public forum. We all own this thread.

I tend to think the OP owns thread more so than the replies. I try to respect the OP and direct him with advice on topic to his wishes in the original post. He is either free to use the advice as stated, reject it or maybe consider it later. Berating him because he's not following advice exactly how it's been presented doesn't help.

People are allowed to voice their frustration after having given advice for 11 pages.

Sure but how does that help? Like I've said, you might be frustrated but posting that doesn't help him IMHO. It's a public forum and as long as the mods don't delete or close the thread, anyone is able to post anything. The question is "should you"

I suppose it's as helpful as repeating the same answer over and over...

I recommend not repeating the same answer over and over.

Even if it's the right answer? Doesn't matter if he can't understand why the program is made that way. It doesn't change the fact that it's a solid program and better than the butchered program he was doing.

I agree that the 5x5 is a good program. One that he should consider. Maybe just point him to an article like this that will answer most of this questions. although this one does advocate him starting out close to his current 5x5 number
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark70.htm

This one seems really complete as far as the why and how
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

You're repeating the same advice we've given and nearly identical articles that he's been given that explain everything. Next up, he says he doesn't understand not going to failure and how you are supposed to make progress if you don't fail. Back around on the merry-go-round.

I'll post the advice once. Maybe mention it again once. After that, he's on his own.

We wouldn't have to keep posting it if he didn't keep asking the same questions in different ways. There comes the dilemma. You say pointing out the fact that he's asking questions in circles doesn't help him, but does abandoning it after saying it twice like you do help? I think calling someone on their lack of action and over thinking is better than just walking away.

Ok, then don't get upset about having to repeat the information again and again.

You know, you have contributed nothing to this thread in the last few pages. You abandoned it long ago and have basically come back to yell at everyone for telling him to stop whining and follow a program. Congratulations. You derailed the thread. How was that helpful to him?

As is a common theme in every single thread he enters.

Only when you are in it. but your little group, never derails threads right?

Funny how nearly everyone else feels the exact same about you. Odds are not in your favor.

Interesting 3-4 out of the estimated 30 million users and you constitute that as "everyone".

More than 3-4.... and collectively more than if you were to tip the scales the other direction.

Kinda like your awesome thread about whining over the incline bench while you do your supersets was very favorable.

I'm glad you thought it was awesome.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ^ k
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    ^ k

kcal
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Mind boggling how a 46 year old manages to pull off acting like a 4-6 year old.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Not as boggling as a 26 yo acting like a 2-6 year old. Get it?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Actually, it's much more boggling.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Please just stop. The OP came back and tried to get it back on track. How about we congratulate him for making a choice and say we look forward to an update down the road.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Please just stop. The OP came back and tried to get it back on track. How about we congratulate him for making a choice and say we look forward to an update down the road.

You going to tell everyone else to stop doing the exact same thing?
  • usmcmp
    Options

You were the first comment after his that was once again off track. The blame lands squarely on your shoulders. Act like an adult, accept responsibility, move on.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

You were the first comment after his that was once again off track. The blame lands squarely on your shoulders. Act like an adult, accept responsibility, move on.

Wrong. The first tirade wasn't from me, it was from Mr and the 1st age crack wasn't from me it was from broscience.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    the 1st age crack wasn't from me it was from broscience.
    You may not have noticed, but I think some here would agree that broscience may actually be the one who provided the most help to the OP.

• LolBroScience
    Options
    You may not have noticed, but I think some here would agree that broscience may actually be the one who provided the most help to the OP.

Which I will continue, when he comes back as well.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Wrong. The first tirade wasn't from me, it was from Mr and the 1st age crack wasn't from me it was from broscience.

No. The OP came back and told us what he was going to do. Several of us made positive comments and you came in half an hour after the last supportive comment to the OP to once again derail the thread. Check out the comments at the top of this page, page 15. You could have just let it go and allowed the thread to get back on track, but you chose to come back an hour after the OP laid out his plan to respond to something that was said 15 minutes before that. You still contribute nothing to this thread other than harassing people who have contributed and continue to contribute to the OP's questions.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    honestly, I'm not trying to be a pest. I am trying to get this right and understand it. I want to get results now. I want to start off at something that I can progress with. I feel like, again, people are telling me to start with a weight I should choose. That obviously hasn't helped me out at all the past 3 years.

That's why we keep telling you to FOLLOW THE PROGRAM AS WRITTEN. You will progress quickly and delay stalling. Stop overthinking this.

Seriously. Holy crap man. Stop trying to figure out everything on paper and running this thread in circles. Stop over analyzing things (and doing it poorly) and just go lift some damn weights. You're not trying to be a pest but the level of basic understanding of things that are being laid out for you over and over is mind numbing.

No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet.

It's his thread. He can ask whatever he wants. If you don't like what he's asking or posting, simply don't reply.

Wait......hold on, let me reread my post to see where I was addressing you.

Brb......

Wait, hold on, let me reread my posts to see where he was addressing YOU. His reply was to me. Then you threw in your 2 cents.

FACT: This is HIS thread that HE created. He can post in HIS thread as he wishes. Not you, me or anyone else can tell him what he can post in HIS thread. You have three choices. Help him, berate him like you've been doing or don't reply.

Your use of capital letters to attempt to prove your point is impressive.

I appreciate you allowing my post to massage your emotions the way it has. Makes me feel tingly.

I appreciate the fact that you finally recognize that telling someone what to do in their own thread is effin' ridiculous. Even more so where you try to berate someone for replying to their own reply string.

You're batting 0-2 right now. Congrats. I'd love it if you reply with another off topic reply to HIS thread because your e-feelings got hurt. Just leave it alone. If you don't like his replies, don't reply. It's not a difficult concept to grasp

Can't we all just get along?

We're trying to help the OP by answering his questions, but he keeps asking the same ones over and over again.
    No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet

This isn't helping anyone

But asking the same question over and over and seemingly ignoring the responses is?

Like I said, it's his thread. No one is being forced to reply against their will. It's up to him to decide what advice is helping. If you can't get through to him, so be it.

It's not his thread...he happens to be the Original Poster, but he doesn't own it. It's a public forum. We all own this thread.

I tend to think the OP owns thread more so than the replies. I try to respect the OP and direct him with advice on topic to his wishes in the original post. He is either free to use the advice as stated, reject it or maybe consider it later. Berating him because he's not following advice exactly how it's been presented doesn't help.

People are allowed to voice their frustration after having given advice for 11 pages.

Sure but how does that help? Like I've said, you might be frustrated but posting that doesn't help him IMHO. It's a public forum and as long as the mods don't delete or close the thread, anyone is able to post anything. The question is "should you"

I suppose it's as helpful as repeating the same answer over and over...

I recommend not repeating the same answer over and over.

Even if it's the right answer? Doesn't matter if he can't understand why the program is made that way. It doesn't change the fact that it's a solid program and better than the butchered program he was doing.

I agree that the 5x5 is a good program. One that he should consider. Maybe just point him to an article like this that will answer most of this questions. although this one does advocate him starting out close to his current 5x5 number
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark70.htm

This one seems really complete as far as the why and how
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

You're repeating the same advice we've given and nearly identical articles that he's been given that explain everything. Next up, he says he doesn't understand not going to failure and how you are supposed to make progress if you don't fail. Back around on the merry-go-round.

I'll post the advice once. Maybe mention it again once. After that, he's on his own.

We wouldn't have to keep posting it if he didn't keep asking the same questions in different ways. There comes the dilemma. You say pointing out the fact that he's asking questions in circles doesn't help him, but does abandoning it after saying it twice like you do help? I think calling someone on their lack of action and over thinking is better than just walking away.

Ok, then don't get upset about having to repeat the information again and again.

You know, you have contributed nothing to this thread in the last few pages. You abandoned it long ago and have basically come back to yell at everyone for telling him to stop whining and follow a program. Congratulations. You derailed the thread. How was that helpful to him?

As is a common theme in every single thread he enters.

Only when you are in it. but your little group, never derails threads right?

Funny how nearly everyone else feels the exact same about you. Odds are not in your favor.

Interesting 3-4 out of the estimated 30 million users and you constitute that as "everyone".

More than 3-4.... and collectively more than if you were to tip the scales the other direction.

Kinda like your awesome thread about whining over the incline bench while you do your supersets was very favorable.

I'm glad you thought it was awesome.

It WAS totally Seattle.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

He also provided derailing comments also. Providing help doesn't give one license to derail the thread
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

A:
    Squat
    Bench press
    Bent over db row
    Lateral db raise
    Shrugs
    Tricep press down
    Push ups

B:
    Deadlift (sometimes)
    Overhead press
    Last pull down
    Close grip bench press
    Row
    Dumbbell curl
    Rear delt flies

Don't worry, you didn't start that fight; it has nothing to do with you.

Good luck with the program and definitely report back. Remember, if you're worried at starting at 50% 1RM, in about 3 months you should be benching 5x5 (or 3x5, not sure how ICF runs) of your 1RM if you follow the plan correctly. That's a huge improvement in a pretty short amount of time. And what's 3 months compared to the 3 years you've already spent without progress?