Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    va_01 wrote: »
    honestly, I'm not trying to be a pest. I am trying to get this right and understand it. I want to get results now. I want to start off at something that I can progress with. I feel like, again, people are telling me to start with a weight I should choose. That obviously hasn't helped me out at all the past 3 years.

That's why we keep telling you to FOLLOW THE PROGRAM AS WRITTEN. You will progress quickly and delay stalling. Stop overthinking this.

Seriously. Holy crap man. Stop trying to figure out everything on paper and running this thread in circles. Stop over analyzing things (and doing it poorly) and just go lift some damn weights. You're not trying to be a pest but the level of basic understanding of things that are being laid out for you over and over is mind numbing.

No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet.

It's his thread. He can ask whatever he wants. If you don't like what he's asking or posting, simply don't reply.

Wait......hold on, let me reread my post to see where I was addressing you.

Brb......

Wait, hold on, let me reread my posts to see where he was addressing YOU. His reply was to me. Then you threw in your 2 cents.

FACT: This is HIS thread that HE created. He can post in HIS thread as he wishes. Not you, me or anyone else can tell him what he can post in HIS thread. You have three choices. Help him, berate him like you've been doing or don't reply.

Your use of capital letters to attempt to prove your point is impressive.

I appreciate you allowing my post to massage your emotions the way it has. Makes me feel tingly.

I appreciate the fact that you finally recognize that telling someone what to do in their own thread is effin' ridiculous. Even more so where you try to berate someone for replying to their own reply string.

You're batting 0-2 right now. Congrats. I'd love it if you reply with another off topic reply to HIS thread because your e-feelings got hurt. Just leave it alone. If you don't like his replies, don't reply. It's not a difficult concept to grasp
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So your 1RM on bench after 3 years is less than your body weight? Sorry, I really don't know what I can tell you.

ETA I really think you need to go back to square 1 in a beginner program.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    honestly, I'm not trying to be a pest. I am trying to get this right and understand it. I want to get results now. I want to start off at something that I can progress with. I feel like, again, people are telling me to start with a weight I should choose. That obviously hasn't helped me out at all the past 3 years.

That's why we keep telling you to FOLLOW THE PROGRAM AS WRITTEN. You will progress quickly and delay stalling. Stop overthinking this.

Seriously. Holy crap man. Stop trying to figure out everything on paper and running this thread in circles. Stop over analyzing things (and doing it poorly) and just go lift some damn weights. You're not trying to be a pest but the level of basic understanding of things that are being laid out for you over and over is mind numbing.

No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet.

It's his thread. He can ask whatever he wants. If you don't like what he's asking or posting, simply don't reply.

Brb......

Wait, hold on, let me reread my posts to see where he was addressing YOU. His reply was to me. Then you threw in your 2 cents.

FACT: This is HIS thread that HE created. He can post in HIS thread as he wishes. Not you, me or anyone else can tell him what he can post in HIS thread. You have three choices. Help him, berate him like you've been doing or don't reply.

I appreciate you allowing my post to massage your emotions the way it has. Makes me feel tingly.

I appreciate the fact that you finally recognize that telling someone what to do in their own thread is effin' ridiculous. Even more so where you try to berate someone for replying to their own reply string.

You're batting 0-2 right now. Congrats. I'd love it if you reply with another off topic reply to HIS thread because your e-feelings got hurt. Just leave it alone. If you don't like his replies, don't reply. It's not a difficult concept to grasp

Can't we all just get along?

We're trying to help the OP by answering his questions, but he keeps asking the same ones over and over again.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Brb......

We're trying to help the OP by answering his questions, but he keeps asking the same ones over and over again.
    No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet

This isn't helping anyone
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Brb......

No one else in this thread will tell you this but get your sh$# together already. Stop wasting everyone's time having them explain the same thing to you 50 times. Go lift some damn weights and log off the Internet

But asking the same question over and over and seemingly ignoring the responses is?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Brb......

The first 50 posts he made to this thread were genuine help about the routine. The last post was for genuine help regarding the OP being dense.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Brb......

Agreed.

OP, as I previously stated, there is a benefit from starting with a weight you think is way too light. You will be rapidly adding weight, and clearly doing what you think felt right before wasn't working. Why not try giving the program a try as written. You're not a complete newb to lifting, so it's not like you have to start with the bar.

In a year of doing SL I went from squatting the bar to squatting 170lbs for reps. It's not nearly as high as a lot of other people, but that's pretty good progress in my book. And as I said, starting light can be a good way to reassess if your form is solid (another big reason why people struggle to progress).
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Brb......

But asking the same question over and over and seemingly ignoring the responses is?

Like I said, it's his thread. No one is being forced to reply against their will. It's up to him to decide what advice is helping. If you can't get through to him, so be it.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Brb......

The first 50 posts he made to this thread were genuine help about the routine. The last post was for genuine help regarding the OP being dense.

Then he should have stopped at 50 replies and not gone onto the 51st and 52nd posts? I never said he DIDN'T try help him. Telling someone they are "dense" doesn't help them at all.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Brb......

Finally realize something is ridiculous? Where did that happen?

0-2? Huh? Got my e-feelings hurt? What conversation are you even in? You seem lost.

It's funny how you believe your opinion matters in any way. It's pretty amusing. I mean the level of insignificance that you posses is so great that you are almost invisible.

Interesting. This is EXACTLY how I feel about your level of arrogance in this forum. Want to muddle up his thread further?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Brb......

Like I said, it's his thread. No one is being forced to reply against their will. It's up to him to decide what advice is helping. If you can't get through to him, so be it.

It's not his thread...he happens to be the Original Poster, but he doesn't own it. It's a public forum. We all own this thread.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

This. Stop trying to understand it and just do it like it is written. You've made changes in the past because you thought you knew better and it's gotten you nowhere. Follow the program as it is written. Stop thinking, just do it. Stop worrying that the first few weeks are going to be easier than you are used to, it won't stay that way.

Paralysis by analysis. Stop thinking, just do it.

Also, you keep saying bench. What about your other lifts? Do you squat? Do you deadlift? There's more to lifting than just bench press.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Brb......

It's not his thread...he happens to be the Original Poster, but he doesn't own it. It's a public forum. We all own this thread.

I tend to think the OP owns thread more so than the replies. I try to respect the OP and direct him with advice on topic to his wishes in the original post. He is either free to use the advice as stated, reject it or maybe consider it later. Berating him because he's not following advice exactly how it's been presented doesn't help.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Okay Jeff and MrM. You're both pretty. Stop with the d*ck measuring or take it to PM because you guys aren't helping at this point.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

This. Stop trying to understand it and just do it like it is written. You've made changes in the past because you thought you knew better and it's gotten you nowhere. Follow the program as it is written. Stop thinking, just do it. Stop worrying that the first few weeks are going to be easier than you are used to, it won't stay that way.

Paralysis by analysis. Stop thinking, just do it.

Also, you keep saying bench. What about your other lifts? Do you squat? Do you deadlift? There's more to lifting than just bench press.

QFT

Good advice OP please listen
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Brb......

I tend to think the OP owns thread more so than the replies. I try to respect the OP and direct him with advice on topic to his wishes in the original post. He is either free to use the advice as stated, reject it or maybe consider it later. Berating him because he's not following advice exactly how it's been presented doesn't help.

People are allowed to voice their frustration after having given advice for 11 pages.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Brb......

People are allowed to voice their frustration after having given advice for 11 pages.

Sure but how does that help? Like I've said, you might be frustrated but posting that doesn't help him IMHO. It's a public forum and as long as the mods don't delete or close the thread, anyone is able to post anything. The question is "should you"