Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options
Hi everyone

I am 6'2, 188 lbs. I have been on a "cut" for a few months now. My mind is slowing losing steam and I don't really know what else to do. My lifts aren't specacular by any means, I have more fat around my abs than I'd like (i believe I'm around 15% bf). My arms are a measly 14" flexed cold. I'm beginning to hate my body and feel like there's nothing I can do.

As I've leaned out I do feel like I can see a tiny bit more definition, which makes me want to continue to my goal of about 12% bf before I hit a long lean bulk. However, my arms are so small, and I don't know if judging by the photos if you can tell if Id look decent with a little more fat off me? Or if there's just not enough lbm there. My instincts tell me to bulk just because I have been skinny and frail m whole life. I gained weight in a bulk over the past few years but not nearly enough that I'm satisfied with. I always was too pudgy for my liking in my stomach and legs (where I seem to hold most of my weight).

Thanks and please let me know what you think. Smarter to lean out now and then bulk? Or will a lean bulk displace my bf % in my favor?

ceqq4ipcz8wq.jpg

6sz9aoyff28o.jpg

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting heavy and eat at +/- maintenance. You seem to be pretty patient overall and would be a great candidate for recomp.
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well that's what I did before, and more often than not from most people I hear that by doing that I'm just spinning my wheels. (Not that I'm not doing that now)
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Okay, then I suggest cutting until you hit a lower body fat % and then do a bulk. I'm a female (5'6", 130 lbs) and bulked last winter, did recomp spring/summer and started my bulk when I hit 16% bf again.

A lean bulk will still add fat, and you'll probably end up at the same or slightly higher bf % if you bulk prior to cutting.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'll have to get back to you after I get the drool off my screen.... :blush:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would continue with a cut and focus on a strength based program. When you get down to a desirable level reverse it into a lean bulk and control calories more closely.
  • va_01
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was doing a strength based routine but I felt like it wasn't really a good path to my goal of more size rather than a focus on more strength. I know both go hand in hand, but when I bulk I want to focus on hypertrophy.

So the consensus is that I'm not misguided for thinking that more of a cut would benefit me? Even with measly 14" in flexed arms and 39 in chest?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Not misguided at all. Just cut slow, eat lots of protein, and keep lifting. What program are you following and how long have you been lifting?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was doing a strength based routine but I felt like it wasn't really a good path to my goal of more size rather than a focus on more strength. I know both go hand in hand, but when I bulk I want to focus on hypertrophy.

So the consensus is that I'm not misguided for thinking that more of a cut would benefit me? Even with measly 14" in flexed arms and 39 in chest?

You can focus on both and hit a variety of rep ranges. Program your assistance and auxiliary lifts in a higher rep range than your core lifts for strength.
  • va_01
    Options
    I was doing an edited version of icf 5x5 but it basically turned into my own thing. An A/B Style workout 3x / week: (modified now and then. Switching between 5x5 and 8-10x3 for reps and sets every other week or so recently)

A:
    Squat
    Bench press
    Bent over db row
    Lateral db raise
    Shrugs
    Tricep press down
    Push ups

B:
    Deadlift (sometimes)
    Overhead press
    Last pull down
    Close grip bench press
    Row
    Dumbbell curl
    Rear delt flies

It's varied over the past few months. Again I triedto begin switching up reps and set schemes to get more variety. But it's ahed to gauge my progress that way
  • va_01
    Options
    I've also been lifting for 3 years. So basically NO progress. I was pretty thin three years ago so I have put on weight. But I always had a small pudge on my stomach like I do now
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Follow the program as is, if you're intent on sticking with ICF. Otherwise, there are other programs out there as well.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Follow the program as is, if you're intent on sticking with ICF. Otherwise, there are other programs out there as well.

I was just about to say that. Programs are designed to be followed. Three years into lifting, you're advanced enough to move onto a program from bodybuilding.com or musclesandstrength.com (among other places). Find a program that sounds good and works with your schedule and follow it.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are in your lifts, but you really need to get the BF% down more so that you can bulk. You fall into a category known as skinny fat. By getting to about 10% BF, you gain a hormonal advantage that will help you increase muscle when you bulk.

When you do bulk, make sure you lift heavy and most importantly emphasize progressive overload. If you are more intermediate, you may want to consider something other than a full body workout for the bulk. Body part splits work well if you have the base strength built up. Trust me, when you begin to bulk, your strength will grow by leaps and bounds (if you are doing things right) and you will see noticeable differences in your body. Hang in there. It takes time and you are at a critical point. Don't give in to the all to common desire to bulk too soon. Good luck with your journey! :)
  • va_01
    Options
    Thanks all-

how much longer would you suggest I cut?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    It's not a question of duration really. It's about when you're happy with what you see.

Personally, I'd aim for around 8-10% BF as a starting point (that's just me though). I also don't really read to much into the numbers though.
  • va_01
    Options
    Yeah, again, I just don't feel like I have enough lbm to have a really "successful" cut and instead of looking ripped with nice muscle definition I'll just look skinny/scrawny all over again.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    Yeah, again, I just don't feel like I have enough lbm to have a really "successful" cut and instead of looking ripped with nice muscle definition I'll just look skinny/scrawny all over again.

That's okay, you can build up from that lean foundation.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    BTW, I see nothing wrong with the way you look now.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    BTW, I see nothing wrong with the way you look now.

Agree with the above, build up from a lean foundation. You're just in your head.