Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Do I think getting lean requires work and commitment? Yes I do, very much so. It can be hard work

So serious question. Is it more, less, or equally as hard compared to any other weight loss? Or do you just do the same things? If not what specifically do I need to do differently?
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking is it easier for me to lose weight than it is for another person to lose weight?

Ah, better wording:

Is it harder to go from say 15% body fat to 10% vs going from 25% body fat to 15%? And why? And what does one need to do differently?

I ask because people are always saying it takes so much commitment to get to a lower body fat. They never say what is so different about it vs just losing fat in general.

Well, change those to women's equivalent and I've done it all.

The difference is lean mass retention is slightly harder at the leaner end. Other than that they both require accuracy. You might be able to get away with sloppier logging at the higher percent because you have a higher TDEE and more room for error. When you get leaner you have to prioritize strength training and protein consumption to retain the lean mass (retaining lean mass is easier than building it).

That's the difference. Lean mass retention and accuracy.

ETA: If you've been strict dieting then some metabolic adaptations do happen. Knowing your body and when to use refeeds versus glycogen depletion is important.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Because if OP is already frustrated at 2 months in on a cut, he is gonna be even more doing option 2.

Option 2 is a body recomp, and it takes a long time....think 10 - 12 months.

So again, please stop
    Go back to the other thread where you started suggesting this and keep posting there, don't junk up this one

Seriously! I mentioned body recomp as one of the first responses to this thread and the OP said he didn't want to do that. My conclusion: cut a bit more, then bulk. Why do we keep banging our heads here?!

Recomp. That's what I want. Can I do that at 15%?

Yes, you can. Just know that it's like watching grass grow. Very, very slow progress. And you have to be super strict with your calories.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Because if OP is already frustrated at 2 months in on a cut, he is gonna be even more doing option 2.

So again, please stop
    Go back to the other thread where you started suggesting this and keep posting there, don't junk up this one

Seriously! I mentioned body recomp as one of the first responses to this thread and the OP said he didn't want to do that. My conclusion: cut a bit more, then bulk. Why do we keep banging our heads here?!

Yes, you can. Just know that it's like watching grass grow. Very, very slow progress. And you have to be super strict with your calories.

Like losing weight isn't? Every week I lift. Do the numbers go up? Barely. Then a wall. No progress. Zero. Oh, so at least I'm dropping a million pounds right? Nope. .75lbs. 1lb. .5lbs. 0lbs. Gain 1lb. Lose 1lb.

I hear that. Honestly, if those are what your numbers look like, you're probably eating very close to your maintenance right now. Are you tracking your measurements as well?
  • usmcmp
    Options

So again, please stop

Like losing weight isn't? Every week I lift. Do the numbers go up? Barely. Then a wall. No progress. Zero. Oh, so at least I'm dropping a million pounds right? Nope. .75lbs. 1lb. .5lbs. 0lbs. Gain 1lb. Lose 1lb.

Recomp is worse. You'll go up and down in a small range and see almost nothing in the mirror or on tape measure.
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well he stated he has been cutting for 2 months and is discouraged already.

Well, ya either get discouraged getting too skinny or get discouraged getting to fluffy. Choice is up to the OP.

Basically... welcome to the dance :)

LOL
    Yes, this is exactly the dance we dance in this messed up activity. :D
    Totally unrelated, I'm curious why there's a big mirror across from the oven/microwave LOL

Lol it's the bathroom right off my kitchen. I'm combing through all the comments now (on my phone). Will respond shortly. Thank you for everyone's input!!! I really appreciate it
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would continue with a cut and focus on a strength based program. When you get down to a desirable level reverse it into a lean bulk and control calories more closely.

/thread

I'm in the same boat as you OP (except I have slightly more lean muscle mass than you). I'm cutting until my abs are completely visible (if it takes several months, OH WELL, I'm not stopping this cut until then; my goal, however, is to have abs completely visible by end of March 2015); then I'm lean bulking until I look like Kratos or a similar/equivalent) - maintaining it until I die...
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    I lose

So again, please stop

I hear that. Honestly, if those are what your numbers look like, you're probably eating very close to your maintenance right now. Are you tracking your measurements as well?

I lose relatively consistently but I just feel like all the braggers making way more progress strength wise aren't sharing some secret.

Hahaha...okay, I gotcha. Honestly, after my bulk last winter, I lost some strength relatively quickly and it took a decent amount of recomp time (I never actually cut after my bulk) to get back to where I was then. Just keep lifting.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    @BFDeal
    Have you ever looked at Intermittent Fasting??
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    And what do you mean by braggers???

I have been lifting for almost 20 years myself.....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I lose

So again, please stop

I lose relatively consistently but I just feel like all the braggers making way more progress strength wise aren't sharing some secret.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows... People just tend to highlight only the "good" on social media and the like. I post up my training logs and it isn't always pretty...
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I lose

So again, please stop

It's not all sunshine and rainbows... People just tend to highlight only the "good" on social media and the like. I post up my training logs and it isn't always pretty...

I only talk about the good....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I lose

So again, please stop

lies
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I lose

So again, please stop

lies

Except in my blog where I b*tch about the bad....
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's a little strange that the OP has only been cutting for 2 months and is already hitting a wall?

OP, what's your intake on your cut? What were you doing before cutting?

Let me clarify - I apologize I'm commenting as I read. I am discouraged not by my cut but by how small my arms ALREADY are. In an ideal world my arms would grow and grow on a bulk. But so would my stomach. I want to be lean. But I also want big arms. I can't have both right now. Which is why I was discouraged looking at certain body parts, feeling already small. And wondering why cut when I'm already holding small arms. That's what I meant.

Actually cutting is easy for me. I don't like to eat that much ( struggled on my last bulk) and even though I'm not super lean now, I read you don't even notice a difference between 16-13%. If that's true. Also I'm 6'2 so 5 lbs is nothing on me
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's a little strange that the OP has only been cutting for 2 months and is already hitting a wall?

OP, what's your intake on your cut? What were you doing before cutting?

Let me clarify - I apologize I'm commenting as I read. I am discouraged not by my cut but by how small my arms ALREADY are. In an ideal world my arms would grow and grow on a bulk. But so would my stomach. I want to be lean. But I also want big arms. I can't have both right now. Which is why I was discouraged looking at certain body parts, feeling already small. And wondering why cut when I'm already holding small arms. That's what I meant.

Actually cutting is easy for me. I don't like to eat that much ( struggled on my last bulk) and even though I'm not super lean now, I read you don't even notice a difference between 16-13%. If that's true. Also I'm 6'2 so 5 lbs is nothing on me

You don't have much fat on your arms at all, so if you maintain a deficit and lift, I'm pretty certain your arms aren't going to get smaller.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    I am discouraged not by my cut but by how small my arms ALREADY are....I can't have both right now. Which is why I was discouraged looking at certain body parts, feeling already small. And wondering why cut when I'm already holding small arms....

I encourage you to work through this mentality. I can't really tell you how, other than being honest about what I do to defeat this mentality which is, simply being honest with myself!! When I'm on a cut and my lack of muscle "surprises" me, I just face the fact that that part of my body lacks muscle mass.

You're muscle mass is not were you want it to be, granted, but don't disregard your need to cut in order to bulk your arms. It's my opinion that your aesthetic goals will come to a better outcome if you continue to cut...