Food Sabotage At Work

Options
12345679»

Replies

• thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    But what about where I work? We have this after work Yoga program, we are starting a Weight Watchers thing for employees and yet the one employee who had bypass surgery and lost a lot of weight and brings cookies, doughnuts, pastries constantly, and....does not eat them. Wouldn't that count as sabotage, be passive aggressive or an example of someone trying to keep everyone around them fat?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    But what about where I work? We have this after work Yoga program, we are starting a Weight Watchers thing for employees and yet the one employee who had bypass surgery and lost a lot of weight and brings cookies, doughnuts, pastries constantly, and....does not eat them. Wouldn't that count as sabotage, be passive aggressive or an example of someone trying to keep everyone around them fat?

Maybe, or maybe that person really enjoys baking and wants to continue their hobby but can't enjoy the fruits of their labor...

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Life is too short to turn down a free donut. If someone brings free donuts I eat one, log it, and then do some extra cardio to burn it.

Yes!

• MikySchwartz
    Options
    DOUBLE SIGH....Same at my office!!!!!!!!!! Baked goods and candy jars staring at me 8 hours a day every day!!!!!!!!!! Most days I will say no then if I start with ONE..GOOD BYE good intentions...It's the whole thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abstinence is my strategy til I can master SUGAR SELF RESTRAINT!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

No it means she has learned self control. I bake 4-5 times per week, I send lots of things in to work with my husband. Baking is something I get great pleasure from, but I know I can't fit everything I make into my day so I share.

That's not sabotage. Stop looking to blame someone else and just worry about what you can control and that is yourself
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I agree that 'sabotage' implies a deliberate attempt to make someone fail, but I do still think it's a bit disturbing to churn out baked goods and just send them away. Maybe because I'm not a homemaker type? Why not give them to hungry or homeless people?
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options

No it means she has learned self control. I bake 4-5 times per week, I send lots of things in to work with my husband. Baking is something I get great pleasure from, but I know I can't fit everything I make into my day so I share.

That's not sabotage. Stop looking to blame someone else and just worry about what you can control and that is yourself

Oh really? This person never brought anything to work ever. She has the weight loss surgery, loses all this weight, then suddenly she has decided that she is going to bring all these pastry and cookies and goods from places like Vons (the home baking excuse doesn't cut it here).

Why do all of you assume some of these people at work are baking? 90% of the time they stop somewhere and bring it in.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Oh really? This person never brought anything to work ever. She has the weight loss surgery, loses all this weight, then suddenly she has decided that she is going to bring all these pastry and cookies and goods from places like Vons (the home baking excuse doesn't cut it here).

Why do all of you assume some of these people at work are baking? 90% of the time they stop somewhere and bring it in.

Maybe she was doing a courtesy of a Vons pastry/cookie because she knows you like to log things in MFP and wanted to give you a fancy barcode to scan. Maybe she was being vicariously fat through you so she could feel comfortable in her new skin while still doing a good deed.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also do the snack size candy at work to avoid going to the snack machine or getting too crazy. If someone does bring something, I either politely decline and get the heck away from it or have a small helping. I feel ya on someone always bringing something into work. It happens here too! Stay strong!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

You're right. You have found the elusive, almost mythical, office saboteur. The person who has nothing but ill intentions toward others and manifests those thoughts in the form of baked goods (purchased no less!).

I bet she also eats other people's food from the fridge and claims other people's work as her own to higher ups.

• GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Do you always play the victim or just when you are trying to lose weight?

Maybe she didn't bring anything in before because she was self conscious of being the fat person that brings in the food, she's more comfortable. Who knows why she has decided to bring things in, but that still is not sabotage. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to consume it. See this is where there's that ever so important personal responsibility thing, you don't have to get out of your chair, walk over to the good delicious foods, pick it up and put it into your mouth.

All of those steps are your decisions to make. Unless she is tying you in your chair, and force feeding all these good foods to you (which would make an interesting work place) is not sabotage. Grow up and take some responsibility
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I agree that 'sabotage' implies a deliberate attempt to make someone fail, but I do still think it's a bit disturbing to churn out baked goods and just send them away. Maybe because I'm not a homemaker type? Why not give them to hungry or homeless people?

Disturbing? lol I bake, I keep what I want, and send the rest to a group of guys that enjoy the baked goods. How is that disturbing? People will look for any reason to be offended
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Disturbing? lol I bake, I keep what I want, and send the rest to a group of guys that enjoy the baked goods. How is that disturbing? People will look for any reason to be offended

Well maybe 'disturbing' was a hasty word - like I said, I'm not 'homey' at all so maybe I'm just missing something in my genes, but several people (women) have posted in this thread (and I know some IRL, too) about how they loooove to bake, but don't like to eat or have the baked goods around. I'm not offended, it just weirds me out for some reason. Probably related to my shuddering terror of traditional gender roles...not sure specifically though.

• WinoGelato
    Options

Well maybe 'disturbing' was a hasty word - like I said, I'm not 'homey' at all so maybe I'm just missing something in my genes, but several people (women) have posted in this thread (and I know some IRL, too) about how they loooove to bake, but don't like to eat or have the baked goods around. I'm not offended, it just weirds me out for some reason. Probably related to my shuddering terror of traditional gender roles...not sure specifically though.

I don't think it has anything to do with traditional gender roles - baking is a hobby like anything else. I know men and women alike who do it. I think that people who make food (or anything else with their hands for that matter) want to see it go to someone who will appreciate it. Granted, you suggested giving it to hungry/homeless people and I guess you could find a random person on the street to give a bundt cake to, but shelters won't take homemade food and I think giving a homeless person a cake, pie, or cheesecake is just a little impractical for them (not trying to be insensitive - just logical - you going to put it on a paper plate? Give them a fork and knife to eat it with?).

For most people, bringing it to work or sending it to your spouses work is a good way to
    1) Continue your hobby
    2) Make people happy
    3) Earn yourself and/or your spouse some brownie points (pun intended).

Most people who bake and send it to work are probably enjoying some of it at home themselves. They are practicing moderation - fitting it in where they can but not depriving themselves or others of it just for the sake of their weight loss goals.