Food Sabotage At Work

Options

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    kbc7288 wrote: »
    It is so difficult to eat healthy at my office. Someone is always bringing in fresh homebaked goods, leftover halloween candy, birthday cake, etcetera. What are some ways that you've successfully navigated healthy eating while at work?

Gum. My cube neighbor has seriously lined the entire shelf between us with candy and treats and people are constantly around eating them. I don't really get why people do that (put out treats I mean, obv I get why people eat them) but anyway...when I get tempted I just chew a piece of gum.

I put treats out a lot. I do it for purely selfish reasons.... if I have something in the house that I don't want to eat (extra party cake, Halloween candy, etc), I bring it into work so I won't eat it myself. Actually, it's only about 90% selfish... I COULD just throw it in the trash.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It is so difficult to eat healthy at my office. Someone is always bringing in fresh homebaked goods, leftover halloween candy, birthday cake, etcetera. What are some ways that you've successfully navigated healthy eating while at work?

Gum. My cube neighbor has seriously lined the entire shelf between us with candy and treats and people are constantly around eating them. I don't really get why people do that (put out treats I mean, obv I get why people eat them) but anyway...when I get tempted I just chew a piece of gum.

I put treats out a lot. I do it for purely selfish reasons.... if I have something in the house that I don't want to eat (extra party cake, Halloween candy, etc), I bring it into work so I won't eat it myself. Actually, it's only about 90% selfish... I COULD just throw it in the trash.

That's not her deal. She goes to Costco once a week and puts out giant bags of M&Ms, Twizzlers, trail mix, cookies, etc etc. And hides them when she leaves every day. It's definitely about wanting visitors I think. People are weird lol.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    sseqwnp wrote: »

All those things can be incorporated into a healthy diet. I don't understand the question.

For some people, unhealthy treats can be trigger foods. Speaking for myself, if I start nibbling on our receptionists' bowl of chocolates (mentioned above), I'll end up buying Oreos and Snickers from the vending machine.

What is unhealthy about chocolate?

authoritynutrition.com/7-health-benefits-dark-chocolate/

Nothing. Not a thing. Clearly you didn't read my posts.
    I did, it was gobbledeegook about how X was unhealthy.

Sweet. At least you are right in your response. Not a thing.

However. Be careful when villifying foods, it will develop a negative connection to them for you. Most people won't want that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ndj1979, you're not as clever as you think you are. cheers.
    It would help the rest of us if you were clear in what you post. Unless you're just trollin', then autobots, troll out.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I went into work yesterday to find pizza and donuts in the break room....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979, you're not as clever as you think you are. cheers.

I am actually the King of Cleverdom...
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ways I have dealt with this in the past:
    1. Pretend that the person who baked the cake didn't wash their hands. You won't want to eat it if you think about germs.
    2. Bring a piece of cake to a friend in another department who is not part of the party. I actually find that feeding other people has the same effect as eating the cake myself. You're not really hungry; you are just looking for the social aspect of office parties.
    Good luck!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

That's not her deal. She goes to Costco once a week and puts out giant bags of M&Ms, Twizzlers, trail mix, cookies, etc etc. And hides them when she leaves every day. It's definitely about wanting visitors I think. People are weird lol.

Well, in that case, she is clearly just lonely and trying to "buy" friends ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you could always try this tactic...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10019543/too-bad-all-those-free-pretty-looking-donuts-in-the-rec-room-are-made-of-100-poison#latest

I'm glad that so many of you feel this way so that there will be more donuts and workplace treats for the rest of us!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    By not eating them?

This was flagged, why? It's a totally valid suggestion.... just because people bring treats into the office does not mean you are obliged to eat them... bring healthy snacks for you and eat those instead OR anticipate that treats will be in the office and fit them into your day... it's not rocket surgery.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    In....for sabotage.

Sabotage sounds tasty around here... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    By not eating them?

This was flagged, why? It's a totally valid suggestion.... just because people bring treats into the office does not mean you are obliged to eat them... bring healthy snacks for you and eat those instead OR anticipate that treats will be in the office and fit them into your day... it's not rocket surgery.

I love when people say rocket surgery. It totally cracks me up. I never knew that was an actual phrase before MFP...

• k8blujay2
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    By not eating them?

I love when people say rocket surgery. It totally cracks me up. I never knew that was an actual phrase before MFP...

Hahaha... I didn't either... but I love it. :smiley:
  • dbmata
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    In....for sabotage.

Sabotage sounds tasty around here... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cause you can't, you won't, you don't stop!
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I take my own lunch and healthy snacks to work. Apples and Almonds
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I keep a pile of fruit on my desk so its visible and easier to eat than the cookies and cakes outside my office.

This is a great idea! I am getting myself a fruit basket for the office LOVE IT!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Sounds like she just likes the attention. When I was at my old job (and younger and dumber and single) I used to buy jolly ranchers and blowpops so the cute guys from the warehouse would come visit me. haha I wonder if there were girls at work thinking I was "sabotaging" them back then and complaining on the internet about it. Things that make you go hmmmmm
  • focus135
    Options

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Eat breakfast, bring lunch, have a reputation as a raging coffee fiend. That way I always have something in my hand at appropriate ventures, but otherwise, don't eat what's out there.