Eating good but Gaining weight?!?!?!

Options
So... i dont eat perfectly, i dont believe in not completely cutting out foods i like and love, HOWEVER i have been eating around my guided calories in order to lose 1lb a week. my fats stay low and sugars, sodium does go over sometimes and i go to the gym 4 times a week now but for some reason im not losing anything in fact probably gained a lb or 2??? :scream:

can anyone suggest why this is happening? or what i can do to boost my weight loss?

Thank you :blush:

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "can anyone suggest why this is happening?"
    You are eating too much.

"what i can do to boost my weight loss?
    Eat less.
  • uaedubai
    Options
    decrease sugar content, try to keep it under 50g. Maybe try to add some healthy fats instead of keeping them low?
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    You are eating too much.

Eat less.

and clearly you didnt read anything i wrote
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    uaedubai wrote: »
    decrease sugar content, try to keep it under 50g. Maybe try to add some healthy fats instead of keeping them low?

thank you for the advise, my suggested Sugar is 56g or less so i aim for less generally.. But could you tell me more what you mean by healthy fats?
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and then we can see where you are... Stats would be good too! Basically though you should be as accurate as you can with your logging and weigh your food. Eat back about half your exercise calories and stick to MFP guidelines. If after a month of doing all that ACCURATELY you don't lose a few lbs then I would talk to your doctor and rule out any medical explanation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much.

Eat less.

I think they did, what you are probably missing is your measurement errors. To be sure you are eating what you think you are you must weigh solid foods and measure liquids and use the correct diary entry. another possibility is that you are burning less cals than you think you are, or you are retaining water for a number of reasons, and that is masking any fat loss you may have had.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    You are eating too much.

Eat less.

No I did, honest. I read everything. You dont just dont like my answer, which is true in fact.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    uaedubai wrote: »

thank you for the advise, my suggested Sugar is 56g or less so i aim for less generally.. But could you tell me more what you mean by healthy fats?

Ignore that advise, unless you are diabetic sugar is just a carb and you track those, healthy fats are essentially non-trans fats, saturated fats have been given a bad rep, but may not be entirely true.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    You are eating too much.

Eat less.

No I did, honest. I read everything. You dont just dont like my answer, which is true in fact.

but the point it i eat about 1300 calories a day (average even without loggin on MFP.. i log elsewhere too... and decreasing it would do more harm than good.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    You are eating too much.

Eat less.

but the point it i eat about 1300 calories a day (average even without loggin on MFP.. i log elsewhere too... and decreasing it would do more harm than good.

That is precisely the point. You are clearly eating too much contrary to your beliefs. You can eat all the sugar you like as long as you stay under the calorie allowance and you will lose weight, so sugar isnt a justification.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    ha...!!! ok i understand where i went wrong :smile:
    Sorry guys and girls!!
    CW: 178lb
    GW: 130lb
    Height is 166cm and im 21 however my dress size is 12(UK) so 8(US) and even that doesn't make sense to me how i can be that size :confused:
    it tells me to eat 1450 calories a day, i go to the gym 4 times a week for about 1 hour. but im not building muscle in any way its more steady exercise?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much.

Eat less.

You are most likely eating more than you think. Are you weighing your portions? Since you aren't consistent with your logging sometimes here sometimes some other site.. you don't know what you are eating.

Be consistent, pick a site to log your food on, weigh your portions, be as accurate and honest as possible. You don't need to cut sugar, or whatever else
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    i try and cut my Carb intake, i only eat chicken too.
    i donly drink water and coffee (with 1 sugar) and i rarely eat sweets maybe the odd bit of 80% Dark chocolate..
  • eldamiano
    Options
    ha...!!! ok i understand where i went wrong :smile:
    Sorry guys and girls!!
    CW: 178lb
    GW: 130lb
    Height is 166cm and im 21 however my dress size is 12(UK) so 8(US) and even that doesn't make sense to me how i can be that size :confused:
    it tells me to eat 1450 calories a day, i go to the gym 4 times a week for about 1 hour. but im not building muscle in any way its more steady exercise?

Calorie deficit = weight loss. Going to the gym 4 times a week will aid that but nothing more.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    i donly drink water and coffee (with 1 sugar) and i rarely eat sweets maybe the odd bit of 80% Dark chocolate..

It's not what you are eating that's the problem it's how much and inconsistent logging.

I have lost 116 lbs, I eat lots of carbs, I eat ice cream, baked goods, and lots more than just chicken. But I weigh my portions, I log accurately so I know if I am actually in a calorie deficit.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options

It's not what you are eating that's the problem it's how much and inconsistent logging.

I have lost 116 lbs, I eat lots of carbs, I eat ice cream, baked goods, and lots more than just chicken. But I weigh my portions, I log accurately so I know if I am actually in a calorie deficit.

i see what your saying :smile:
    I always use the other site and 90% use this one too.. its not cutting them out, ive just gone off certain things, I.e i Pasta bake i weighed, im quite good at doing this, i calculated that to stay this weight is 1900 calories a day. but what i mean is since i lost 30lbs im stuck like this for 1 year. i changed things and added things, but nothing has worked, im just confused :confounded:
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    From all of your responses, you haven't made one thing clear, which everyone has mentioned. Do you log your food accurately? Logging accurately means the following:
    1. You own a digital scale, and you weigh EVERY SOLID item that enters your mouth. This includes fruits, veggies, cheese, you name it. This includes fatty spreads like mayo and peanut butter.
    2. You use measuring cups to measure caloric liquids in liquid ounces or in milliliters.
    3. You log every taste, lick, and bite of your food honestly, without forgetting or overlooking things that seem unimportant.
    4. You DO NOT use generic recipes or generic data from the food database. You make your own recipes using the recipe builder, and use the MFP "official" entries (not marked with an asterisk) for raw food items

Only if you are doing the above can you be sure that you're actually eating what you say you are.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You can eliminate all the arbitrary foods/macronutrients you want, but at the end of the day, you're eating too much. It's all about calories in vs calories out.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    "probably gained a lb or 2" .. so you don't know?
    TOM coming? Have you pooped lately? Are your muscles sore? All of these things can mess with a scale reading.
    I will echo what most are saying, weigh and measure everything, log accurately, and eat half of your exercise calories back (if you aren't wearing a HRM - MFP tends to inflate caloric burn)