Eating good but Gaining weight?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Odd question (apologies if you've answered it) but it might be something overlooked.

Are you using websites to calculate your TDEE (saying light/moderate exercise, whichever is applicable) *and* eating some of your exercise calories back?

If so, the two are meant to be either/or, not both. Either use TDEE and -20% (with exercise) or use couch potato/sedentary TDEE -20% and eat back exercise calories.

If not, sorry, that's my only real guess.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    No, I know that, and I rarely ask my PT for nutrition advice. I do count calories because I like to know, but I have a friend who has stopped logging and she is still losing.

Like I said, it's rare I eat out, and if I do it's a sandwich in Costa (UK version of Starbucks) which has a log in the database anyway. If I do happen to go out (once in a blue moon lol) then I don't mind guessing as it's so rare. As I said, I lost 66lbs after my 2nd child without using a scale for most things.

having a lovely meal once in a blue moon is what we all need otherwise i think we would become miserable. guestimting for that 1 meal wont ruin you so your weight loss really is a great motivator for me.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Bottom line why you are not losing: "You're eating too many calories."

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    haha im sick and tired of trying to even explain anything. so ill take you advise and do water fasting the rest of my weight loss. :no_mouth:
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    How did you work out your calorie allowance in the first place? And have you re-evaluated it as your weight has gone down?
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    How did you work out your calorie allowance in the first place? And have you re-evaluated it as your weight has gone down?
    i went to the doctors, because i was morbidly obese, they told me and told me to check the NHS (health service) calculator during my progress, i keep checking as obviously your BMR goes down with weight loss. so i try and make sure im still underneath that by about 300 calories (at least)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    haha im sick and tired of trying to even explain anything. so ill take you advise and do water fasting the rest of my weight loss. :no_mouth:

Instead of getting angry, why not do as requested, log consistently on this site for a week and open up your diary.

While you may be measuring your food, another huge part of logging incorrectly is selecting the correct entry in the database. Because there are user entries, there's inherently a lot of error (because people do some stupid things when they log). Ignore any entry that says net carb, generic, or homemade. Use the recipe builder for meals you make and use the USDA listings for ingredients (weighed raw). Double check packaged food that the info is correct or use the bar code scanner if you're using the phone app.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    Odd question (apologies if you've answered it) but it might be something overlooked.

Are you using websites to calculate your TDEE (saying light/moderate exercise, whichever is applicable) *and* eating some of your exercise calories back?

If so, the two are meant to be either/or, not both. Either use TDEE and -20% (with exercise) or use couch potato/sedentary TDEE -20% and eat back exercise calories.

If not, sorry, that's my only real guess.

oops! sorry i didnt see this message, i have used the TDEE (didnt know what this was) and i always put couch potato/desk job, and just stay at that calorie goal whether i exercise or not, if i exercise and burn i.e 300 calories, i will still eat this back :smile:
  • FaithfulJewel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    EDIT: just seen your response

Don't eat all the exercise calories back if you can. Try and aim for 50% or so - they're not hugely accurate and better to underestimate in that case.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Instead of getting angry, why not do as requested, log consistently on this site for a week and open up your diary.

While you may be measuring your food, another huge part of logging incorrectly is selecting the correct entry in the database. Because there are user entries, there's inherently a lot of error (because people do some stupid things when they log). Ignore any entry that says net carb, generic, or homemade. Use the recipe builder for meals you make and use the USDA listings for ingredients (weighed raw). Double check packaged food that the info is correct or use the bar code scanner if you're using the phone app.

Im getting angry because i cant explain more than enough that i know full well im not eating over. and nobody seems to be understanding that this is the whole point of this thread.
    I will admit your advise about not using homemade and generic catagories does sound better (as i said in a comment before i didnt even look at the 'my recipe' section. so i will give that a go, but yes i do always double check my packets to the info on the MFP list :smile:
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    EDIT: just seen your response

Don't eat all the exercise calories back if you can. Try and aim for 50% or so - they're not hugely accurate and better to underestimate in that case.

Thank you!~ i will definitely start to do this, there is only the odd case that i don't but, this is another incident where i am confused, as i was always told to eat them back to avoid messing up my metabolism :sweat_smile:
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    Oh, another thing. Don't trust one website for TDEE/BMR and whatnot. I use IIFYM (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) along with the Fast Diet website and a few others. Then I take an average... I work on "couch potato" but I worked out I'm actually between that and light exercise (I like numbers so I calculated it myself).

I understand it's frustrating and you're having to repeat yourself etc. You've gotten this far, everyone has hiccups - the forums are a hive of good information, but it's often "tough love". Just keep your chin up
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Im getting angry because i cant explain more than enough that i know full well im not eating over. and nobody seems to be understanding that this is the whole point of this thread.
    I will admit your advise about not using homemade and generic catagories does sound better (as i said in a comment before i didnt even look at the 'my recipe' section. so i will give that a go, but yes i do always double check my packets to the info on the MFP list :smile:

Are you though?

Do you weigh and measure everything you eat/drink?
    Do you pick the correct entries? add USDA to your search.

Opt for the ones that give you a bunch of parameters.

Without a medical condition, if you are maintaining or gaining instead of losing you are eating/drinking more than you think.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    As FaithfulJewel said its tough love.
    So i will apologise for my 'temper through writing' i understand that it is probably the case for most that they are eating too much, and i appreciate the advise you have given me, i shall reduce is by about 100 calories, but if i go lower im certain ill mess up my body a bit :smiley:
    Thank you and sorry again.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Even if she is eating over 1300, she should still be able to lose weight at her current weight and with 4 gym sessions a week! She should still be able to lose eating 1600 even, although I doubt slightly inaccurate logging would mean 300 calories over every single day. It's also possible to get it wrong the other way and be eating less.
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not even a person in a chronic vegetative state gains weight on 1300 calories. And since you have no food diary to prove otherwise, people will continue to doubt your claims. Sorry, dear.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    Have you considered doing a "manual reset" as I call it - ie, eating at your TDEE for maintenance (stick it at 3 exercises per week, or equivalent) for a while?

You will probably gain weight, but it *should* (in theory) stop after around 2 weeks. Then when you drop back down to TDEE -20%, it should start moving again.

Starvation mode isn't a thing, but giving your body a break from burning its reserves might help a tad.
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are being accurate with your eating and calorie counting (only you know that), then chances are it is just water weight. Could be you are ovulating or about to start your period, both of which cause a 1-2 lb increase in the scale for at least 3 days for me. It could be your muscles are retaining water or you are due for a "whoosh" in weight loss.

If you truly feel you are doing right by your body, then keep going and your body will catch up and start losing. This happens to me all the time and I frequently see a 1ish pound increase just before a drop in weight and inches. I am getting used to the cycle and just keep going. Eventually, my body catches up and I lose the extra and then some. Keep an eye on the overall trend and it will be easier not to freak out when the scale goes up for a few days.
  • morgenla
    Options
    Muscle weighs 3x as much as fat, so if you're working out 4x a week, it's possible you're building muscle. How are your clothes fitting?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    morgenla wrote: »
    Muscle weighs 3x as much as fat, so if you're working out 4x a week, it's possible you're building muscle. How are your clothes fitting?

It is incredibly difficult to build muscle, and very, very difficult on a deficit. And I doubt it would be building fast enough to outpace fat loss if she were truely eating at a deficit.

OP, I missed that you were eating back exercise calories. I completely agree about only eating back half, both MFP and machines overestimate the burns.