Eating good but Gaining weight?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    One thing i don't think people are understand is is OCCASIONALLY miss something not every day, if im lucky its once a month.
    I cant eat certain foods so i cant indulge in food (nothing like i use to) even if i wanted to. my BMR (online) says 1636.1 - so at the end of then day, im still eating about 300 less... so this should be 0.5lbs roughly (not always) but its 5 months now and Nothing has dropped. sometimes i Burn 1000 calories in the Gym. sometimes i only get 400 calories. I'm still a very heavy person, so surely it shouldn't be THAT hard?
    i feel like i've just stalled and dont know what to do to get it moving again.
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Are you drinking enough? You might be dehydrated and, thus, putting on water weight. If you're sure that you're logging everything accurately, not gaining muscle, and can rule out health problems, then water might be the solution.
    Another good way to break a stall is fasting. (I follow a ketogenic diet, so know that fat fasts work. Not sure if something like 5:2 works, but Google ;) )
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I know this is contrary to what everyone is saying (do you own a food scale by the way? Lol) but maybe you're not eating enough?
    I am the same height as you, and older, and I was losing on 1500 calories when I weighed the same as you weigh. I got down to 11 stone (154lbs) and was a uk size 10/12 (US 6/8). I lost 66lbs. And guess what? I didn't weigh every little thing I put in my mouth. I didn't even use MFP for the first year (this was losing baby weight).
    Now my third baby is 6 months and I'm losing again. I'm heavier than you are right now, and I'm losing on 1500ish, sometimes less, sometimes more. My TDEE is between 2300-2800, depending on which site I use.
    I do use a food scale for everything now, but I'm not losing any faster than I did after my second baby when I didn't use a food scale for everything.

Maybe change the way you work out. I do 5 or 6 gym sessions/classes a week, and a lot of strength training. I vary what I do...PT sessions, gym, kettlebells, aerobics, bootcamp, spin....
    I'm also very active. With 3 kids I can't sit down to drink a cup of coffee without leaping up about 10 times to do something for one of them! Then there's the school run, park and beach visits, taking them out on their scooters etc.

I don't know much about Crohns, but does it affect how you digest food? Maybe there are certain foods you should avoid? If you haven't already, it might be worth talking to a dietician/nutritionist.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The scale thing isnt necessarily the holy grail. Loads of people on here swear that they weigh 'everything' and still cant lose weight.

I preferred to just over-estimate. Much more effective and much less time consuming.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    I know this is contrary to what everyone is saying (do you own a food scale by the way? Lol) but maybe you're not eating enough?
    I am the same height as you, and older, and I was losing on 1500 calories when I weighed the same as you weigh. I got down to 11 stone (154lbs) and was a uk size 10/12 (US 6/8). I lost 66lbs. And guess what? I didn't weigh every little thing I put in my mouth. I didn't even use MFP for the first year (this was losing baby weight).
    Now my third baby is 6 months and I'm losing again. I'm heavier than you are right now, and I'm losing on 1500ish, sometimes less, sometimes more. My TDEE is between 2300-2800, depending on which site I use.
    I do use a food scale for everything now, but I'm not losing any faster than I did after my second baby when I didn't use a food scale for everything.

Maybe change the way you work out. I do 5 or 6 gym sessions/classes a week, and a lot of strength training. I vary what I do...PT sessions, gym, kettlebells, aerobics, bootcamp, spin....
    I'm also very active. With 3 kids I can't sit down to drink a cup of coffee without leaping up about 10 times to do something for one of them! Then there's the school run, park and beach visits, taking them out on their scooters etc.

I don't know much about Crohns, but does it affect how you digest food? Maybe there are certain foods you should avoid? If you haven't already, it might be worth talking to a dietician/nutritionist.

hhm... you could have a point. (and this is a very encouraging story)
    Thank you for the information, i might try and change my intake purposely, and do an Extra day at the gym.
    Yes the disease effects the nutrients i receive because it cant digest it properly. so im always very tired and little effort so there isnt much variety in my food or exercise.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    JoKessho wrote: »
    Are you drinking enough? You might be dehydrated and, thus, putting on water weight. If you're sure that you're logging everything accurately, not gaining muscle, and can rule out health problems, then water might be the solution.
    Another good way to break a stall is fasting. (I follow a ketogenic diet, so know that fat fasts work. Not sure if something like 5:2 works, but Google ;) )

Thank you for the Advise, i might look into something along these lines to give myself a boost again. Recently my friend started a diet (cant remember the name) so he eats just meat 10 days, then adds veg and then light carbs.? may takes his advise on this :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    The scale thing isnt necessarily the holy grail. Loads of people on here swear that they weigh 'everything' and still cant lose weight.

I preferred to just over-estimate. Much more effective and much less time consuming.

no way can over estimating be more effective for long term success. Plus, why deprive yourself of valuable calories that you should have? Why not take a minute and be accurate? Using a scale is not a hassle and should be encouraged for everyone serious about this.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

no way can over estimating be more effective for long term success. Plus, why deprive yourself of valuable calories that you should have? Why not take a minute and be accurate? Using a scale is not a hassle and should be encouraged for everyone serious about this.

I do use a scale, but I think it's a bit rude to assume that people who don't aren't serious about it. For some people, it can probably trigger obsessive tendencies. What about people who do slimming world and weight watchers? They lose weight and don't weigh every little thing, or calorie count for that matter.

OP I have a friend who has colitis (sp?) which is similar to Crohns I think, and she's restricted in what she can eat and has a pretty samey diet. She's managed to lose weight and she's 47, so it is possible. That's why it might be helpful to talk to a dietician because they'd understand your restrictions more than your average MFP user.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Ok.... funny how I managed it with no fuss at all then. I didnt feel deprived at all. You are on a diet and getting yourself into the mentality of eating less is what it is all about? Also, foods which can appear to be of the same type vary in calories so weighing can often have no effect at all.

I mean we are talking of a difference of calories in the 10s or so here. Using a scale is just one extra 'red tape' process. What are you going to do when you are off the diet? Weigh everything for the rest of your life? Why not program yourself to avoid such processes?
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    My personal trainer doesn't think it's necessary to calorie count so long as you eat healthily. I like logging so I do it, but I'm fairly sure if I stopped, it wouldn't make any difference. I wouldn't suddenly stop eating healthily, or change what I eat.
    Also, if people are that obsessed with the scale, do they never eat out? Sometimes you do just have to estimate. I don't eat out a lot as I have 3 young kids, but when I do, I just have to estimate. It hasn't done me any harm.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I do use a scale, but I think it's a bit rude to assume that people who don't aren't serious about it. For some people, it can probably trigger obsessive tendencies. What about people who do slimming world and weight watchers? They lose weight and don't weigh every little thing, or calorie count for that matter.

OP I have a friend who has colitis (sp?) which is similar to Crohns I think, and she's restricted in what she can eat and has a pretty samey diet. She's managed to lose weight and she's 47, so it is possible. That's why it might be helpful to talk to a dietician because they'd understand your restrictions more than your average MFP user.

since this is mainly a calorie counting website and not weight watchers or slimming world, I assume people here are counting their calories. If you are going to count them, might as well be as accurate as possible. A scale makes you much more accurate.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Yes, but some people take it too far. I found myself weighing lettuce the other day ffs. Really not necessary.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, but the bottom line is, you're probably eating more than you think.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Yes, but some people take it too far. I found myself weighing lettuce the other day ffs. Really not necessary.

ya, I get that....I have weighed some odd things and wondered to myself...really? But overall, telling a beginner to use a scale to count seems the best course to me
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    OMG Are you weighing your food with the food scale you own ? Multiple people have asked you this and you seem to ignore it. Owning is not the same as using.

If you want help then opening your diary is helpful. The answer as has already been suggested is that you are eating more than you think and your logging/ weighing is not as accurate as you think. If you answered the question the first time then people who are trying to help wouldnt have to keep asking.

If you are at maintenance now then you have 2 options eat less or burn more, which puts us all the way back to the beginning.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    OMG Are you weighing your food with the food scale you own ? Multiple people have asked you this and you seem to ignore it. Owning is not the same as using.

If you want help then opening your diary is helpful. The answer as has already been suggested is that you are eating more than you think and your logging/ weighing is not as accurate as you think. If you answered the question the first time then people who are trying to help wouldnt have to keep asking.

If you are at maintenance now then you have 2 options eat less or burn more, which puts us all the way back to the beginning.

i assume you havent even read this thread thoroughly?
    I said i own some, why on earth would i borrow something for my meals? :confused:
    and i dont think your understand i eat like 1300 a day, everyone is telling me to eat less!!!! i cant be Frigging eating less because that would be about 1000-1100 which is far too low, and also if you read the thread i also said is look into doing another day. :angry: stop writing comments without looking at my replies.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options

ya, I get that....I have weighed some odd things and wondered to myself...really? But overall, telling a beginner to use a scale to count seems the best course to me

i managed to lose 29lbs without scales, and ever since i started weighing my food, this is where i have stalled. :neutral_face:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

i managed to lose 29lbs without scales, and ever since i started weighing my food, this is where i have stalled. :neutral_face:

oh.....so your scale is broken ...problem solved...go buy a new scale
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer doesn't think it's necessary to calorie count so long as you eat healthily. I like logging so I do it, but I'm fairly sure if I stopped, it wouldn't make any difference. I wouldn't suddenly stop eating healthily, or change what I eat.
    Also, if people are that obsessed with the scale, do they never eat out? Sometimes you do just have to estimate. I don't eat out a lot as I have 3 young kids, but when I do, I just have to estimate. It hasn't done me any harm.

All very well and good, but then you have no way of knowing what you are eating in terms of calories so its a complete guesstimate whether you are eating at a level plus exercise that will get you at maintenance. Nothing to do with eating healthily. Nothing wrong with estimating but it is less accyrate and thus inferior than using a scale. Most of the reason people are overweight on this site is because they underestimate or somply eat too much and more than they need to. You can still eat healthily and put on weight because you are in a calorie surplus.

A personal trainer is not a qualified dietician. Many of the people who lose weight on here count calories and know they are in a deficit rather thna leave it to chance.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    No, I know that, and I rarely ask my PT for nutrition advice. I do count calories because I like to know, but I have a friend who has stopped logging and she is still losing.

Like I said, it's rare I eat out, and if I do it's a sandwich in Costa (UK version of Starbucks) which has a log in the database anyway. If I do happen to go out (once in a blue moon lol) then I don't mind guessing as it's so rare. As I said, I lost 66lbs after my 2nd child without using a scale for most things.