Eating good but Gaining weight?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So... i dont eat perfectly, i dont believe in not completely cutting out foods i like and love, HOWEVER i have been eating around my guided calories in order to lose 1lb a week. my fats stay low and sugars, sodium does go over sometimes and i go to the gym 4 times a week now but for some reason im not losing anything in fact probably gained a lb or 2??? :scream:

can anyone suggest why this is happening? or what i can do to boost my weight loss?

Thank you :blush:

The answer is not to eat less the answer may just be you need to eat the right amount and you may be actually may be eating to little. Yes a novel idea, and possibly true. I tried to go to your page to check out your diary but kept having an error. MFP as you said is a guide not the end all be all number.

It would be great to know about you. Age, current weight, height, activity level, what you do four days a week when you workout, do you eat your exercise calories back, some of them?

If you'd like to talk privately send me a message.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ASG_21 wrote: »
    From all of your responses, you haven't made one thing clear, which everyone has mentioned. Do you log your food accurately? Logging accurately means the following:
    1. You own a digital scale, and you weigh EVERY SOLID item that enters your mouth. This includes fruits, veggies, cheese, you name it. This includes fatty spreads like mayo and peanut butter.
    2. You use measuring cups to measure caloric liquids in liquid ounces or in milliliters.
    3. You log every taste, lick, and bite of your food honestly, without forgetting or overlooking things that seem unimportant.
    4. You DO NOT use generic recipes or generic data from the food database. You make your own recipes using the recipe builder, and use the MFP "official" entries (not marked with an asterisk) for raw food items

Only if you are doing the above can you be sure that you're actually eating what you say you are.

Right, this make sense, Yes to number i Log everything, i may forget 1 square of chocolate or a 1g of pasta, 1 ml of sauce (but is occasionally) i log my carrots, green beams, all the rest.
    I know i shouldn't be confused but what im saying is, even with the odd thing i forget its not going to add up to 500 calories, 50g of sugars and 100g carbs.. i would be happy to lose even just 0.5lb if i knew it was changing but since June i have Gained half a stone.

But i will be honest... i check the nutrition from the generic food if it seems the same as the pack (per 100g) or what ever then i will use it, if not ill enter what i know from my foods,,, but i dont know a lot about your own recipe builder?

• ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    From all of your responses, you haven't made one thing clear, which everyone has mentioned. Do you log your food accurately? Logging accurately means the following:
    1. You own a digital scale, and you weigh EVERY SOLID item that enters your mouth. This includes fruits, veggies, cheese, you name it. This includes fatty spreads like mayo and peanut butter.
    2. You use measuring cups to measure caloric liquids in liquid ounces or in milliliters.
    3. You log every taste, lick, and bite of your food honestly, without forgetting or overlooking things that seem unimportant.
    4. You DO NOT use generic recipes or generic data from the food database. You make your own recipes using the recipe builder, and use the MFP "official" entries (not marked with an asterisk) for raw food items

Only if you are doing the above can you be sure that you're actually eating what you say you are.

Right, this make sense, Yes to number i Log everything, i may forget 1 square of chocolate or a 1g of pasta, 1 ml of sauce (but is occasionally) i log my carrots, green beams, all the rest.
    I know i shouldn't be confused but what im saying is, even with the odd thing i forget its not going to add up to 500 calories, 50g of sugars and 100g carbs.. i would be happy to lose even just 0.5lb if i knew it was changing but since June i have Gained half a stone.

But i will be honest... i check the nutrition from the generic food if it seems the same as the pack (per 100g) or what ever then i will use it, if not ill enter what i know from my foods,,, but i dont know a lot about your own recipe builder?

The recipe builder can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

You can use it to create your own recipes. For example, if you make your own spaghetti sauce, you wouldn't want to just go to the database and search "spaghetti sauce". You would want to weigh out your tomatoes, garlic, whatever, and add them all to the calculator and name the recipe "Spaghetti Sauce".
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I agree with this comment....Are you weighing your portions?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so do you own a food scale, yes or no????

how do you know you are off by 1 gram of pasta…how do you know it is not one ounce of pasta????
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are logging completely accurately, eating at a deficit, and haven't lost weight in five months... Maybe it's time to see a doctor and check if there's anything wrong on the medical side of things. Otherwise, it could be water retention. Your body can retain water from any new form of exercise, a large amount of sodium, your time of the month, and other random fluctuations; but generally those don't continue for five months unless there's something wrong.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.. i understand im a bit dim on this.
    But everyone is saying eating less... i am eating less.. im eating on average 500 calories less a day (and the sugar and carbs and stuff too) sometimes its only 250 calories less.. but either way its less all round. ill keep going but this is truly annoying.. when i didn't even try to lose weight i lost 29lbs, now i track it all i cant seems to budge anything!? :confused:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    But everyone is saying eating less... i am eating less.. im eating on average 500 calories less a day (and the sugar and carbs and stuff too) sometimes its only 250 calories less.. but either way its less all round. ill keep going but this is truly annoying.. when i didn't even try to lose weight i lost 29lbs, now i track it all i cant seems to budge anything!? :confused:

You still haven't answered this question:

Are you using a food scale to weigh your portions?

Without being as accurate as possible: missing the chocolate, unsure on portion of pasta those are very easy ways to take away a deficit that as you say may only sometimes be 250 calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options

one more time …do you own a food scale and use it all the time…????

this question has been asked about ten times in this thread and you continue to ignore it…

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You still aren't answering if you're using a food scale. If you aren't, then yes, you're eating more than you think. A scale is going to be the most accurate way to know that you're eating exactly what you say you are.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this question has been asked about ten times in this thread and you continue to ignore it…

Jesus Mary and Joesph!!! yes i own pigging food scale!!!!!! and i don't mean i miss it all in one day, i mean OCCASIONALLY i miss something like a square
    simple! i know what i put in my mouth, i know what it weights, what kind of food it is, i write it down, i do it as ANYONE else would. but its doesnt go down. :expressionless:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    finally you answered the million dollar question, why did it take so long to address the most important issue raised?

Next I would suggest visiting your doctor and have your thyroid tested, and to eat less of your exercise calories back, as they are just estimates and could be quite a bit off.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This seems to be going over your head every time you hear it, but maybe another try will make it stick.

IF YOU AREN'T WEIGHING OUT YOUR PORTIONS FOR EVERYTHING AND USING MEASURING CUPS FOR EVERY LIQUID, YOU ARE NOT TRACKING ACCURATELY AND YOU REALLY HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH YOU ARE EATING.

1. Get a food scale, weigh everything, yes everything, even most things that people use a measuring spoon for like peanut butter and oil. Use measuring cups as best you can for liquids if you are drinking anything with calories in it or cooking with any liquids besides oils.
    2. Consistently log on ONE calorie tracking site for at least a month.
    3. Weigh yourself weekly.
    4. If the general trend is weight loss, congrats, you've found something that works. If the general trend is maintenance, drop your calories again to meet your weight loss goal, which should be 0.5-1lb per week so a cut of 250-500 cals per day. If you are gaining weight, cut calories down until you at least are maintaining your weight and reassess from there.

Chances are, just weighing your food out and accurately logging to get to your calorie goal will be enough to start losing weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    29lbs. lost is awesome but accurate logging will help you get to your goal weight. The last few pounds are tougher. You seriously need to weigh your food because even the nutrition labels are off. Accurate logging is the key.

Yes to number i Log everything, i may forget 1 square of chocolate or a 1g of pasta, 1 ml of sauce (but is occasionally)

This is where your problem may lie. This over time adds up.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Jesus Mary and Joesph!!! yes i own pigging food scale!!!!!! and i don't mean i miss it all in one day, i mean OCCASIONALLY i miss something like a square
    simple! i know what i put in my mouth, i know what it weights, what kind of food it is, i write it down, i do it as ANYONE else would. but its doesnt go down. :expressionless:

Thanks for finally answering it, now drop the attitude as people are trying to help you.

So you own the scale now you need to use it. You say "as ANYONE else would" well most people do not know just how much they eat, even those logging, because it takes learning.

Pick one website to log your food all the time, be consistent.
    weigh your food, be consistent.

Once you have been consistent for at least 3-4 weeks, then slightly adjust your calories down if you still aren't losing. But you have to be consistent and as accurate as you can be.
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You are maintaining your weight loss so you are eating the calories you need to maintain and not lose. Review your log very carefully over the past few months to see what you can cut out. You may be set at a higher calorie limit than you are truly burning off.
  • williambnunez
    williambnunez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One thing not mentioned. Are you able to get to a gym that has BFI scales. These may help as they estimate your base metabolic rate (ie what you burn doing nothing). It could be this is quite low, but its a better estimate than just age/height etc by itself. Sadly everyone here is right unless you have a medical condition if you are 500 cals deficient then you will lose 1lb a week. If you can get your base metabolic rate measured then at least you will have the number of calories you need as the starting point to work out what your daily total should be. I find on exercise MFP over eggs it. I use a HR monitor and strava for workout stats, but still take exercise cals with a pinch of salt.

Heart rate monitor is also good for working out if you are fat burning during exercise (losing weight) or musclebuilding (staying same weight but trimming your body shape - muscle is denser than fat). Hope this helps
  • ndj1979
    Options

well that only took two pages....if you occasionally miss something then you are eating more than you think, hence, you are gaining weight.

Weigh/log/measure EVERYTHING for a month and see if you start to lose again. If you do not you may want to see a doctor, or try to drop 50 calories a day and see what happens.
  • jessiemjporter
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    finally you answered the million dollar question, why did it take so long to address the most important issue raised?

Next I would suggest visiting your doctor and have your thyroid tested, and to eat less of your exercise calories back, as they are just estimates and could be quite a bit off.

I have had a thyroid test and many others, i dont have any condition except something called Crohns disease, however even this should make people lose weight uncontrollably. This is what is so confusing......