Spa owner yells at Mom of Autistic child-Facebook Firestorm

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make me feel any better if you are embarrassed and/or aware that your child has spoiled my day.

A crying child spoils your day? Maybe if you changed your attitude about life, little things wouldn't spoil your day do easily.

Try spending an 11 hour flight sitting next to a screaming child that rips out one of your earrings while the mom tells you how adorable their angel is. Pretty sure that screaming spawn of Satan ruined my day as well as everyone else on the flight and it would take the attitude of a saint not to feel that way

Having been THAT mother with the screaming baby on an airplane (who by the way was 14 months old, and had an earache in one ear... I know this because I had taken her to the pediatrician two days prior and she was on antibiotics) I can assure you, most parent's don't want their child screaming any more than you want a child screaming on the airplane. But also having seen adults have bigger tantrums than the baby's (and why more unreasonable than a baby's) I'll take a baby screaming (as it is their primary means to communicate they are not happy) than the adults that do the same damn thing. Thank the dear Lord above, we had understanding flight attendants and that we just got the nasty looks from only a couple of passangers.

But, I guess I just shouldn't take my child to go see her great-grandparents that she won't remember... until when? They die?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make me feel any better if you are embarrassed and/or aware that your child has spoiled my day.

A crying child spoils your day? Maybe if you changed your attitude about life, little things wouldn't spoil your day do easily.

Try spending an 11 hour flight sitting next to a screaming child that rips out one of your earrings while the mom tells you how adorable their angel is. Pretty sure that screaming spawn of Satan ruined my day as well as everyone else on the flight and it would take the attitude of a saint not to feel that way

Having been THAT mother with the screaming baby on an airplane (who by the way was 14 months old, and had an earache in one ear... I know this because I had taken her to the pediatrician two days prior and she was on antibiotics) I can assure you, most parent's don't want their child screaming any more than you want a child screaming on the airplane. But also having seen adults have bigger tantrums than the baby's (and why more unreasonable than a baby's) I'll take a baby screaming (as it is their primary means to communicate they are not happy) than the adults that do the same damn thing. Thank the dear Lord above, we had understanding flight attendants and that we just got the nasty looks from only a couple of passangers.

But, I guess I just shouldn't take my child to go see her great-grandparents that she won't remember... until when? They die?

Yes, because your screaming child you can't shut up is more important than every single other living soul on the plane. The brat ripped out my earring while I was trying to sleep. Pretty sure I had a right to be pissed.... And if the customer service line after the flight was any indication... More than 25 other people felt the same way. Who cares you make everyone else miserable, the world revolves around you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What are the odds that two MFPers who previously didn't know each other would end up on the same flight and have this experience and then end up in this thread where the discussion of it would be so relevant?!?

Amazing!

(PS: HB, L!)
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    upscale spa, her business, her rules. dont bring kids...

Or blacks, gays, transsexuals, Jews ... Once you start that list of exclusions, it's all downhill from there.

And there we go folks, taking it to the extreme with comparisions that really don't compare.
    No kids allowed leads directly to homophobia and racism everytime. :huh:

Well kids are their own ethnicity group apparently........

Well, no. Just like transsexuals or gays aren't their own ethnic group. They all are, however sections of society and discrimination against them is distatseful to say the least.

I have a child - sometimes they act out, even the best-behaved child in the world has the occasional meltdown, its what children do.

The planet is full of sounds - the rooster crows in the morning, dogs bark, birds sing, aint nothing we can to to change that, I suggest if you don't like it you become a hermit or something.

Having said all that - I have never been to a spa, upscale or otherwise, all seems a bit wankerish to me.

(edited to change cockerel to rooster because MFP is somewhat overzealous on perceived expletives).

Kids aren't a protected group. While age discrimination exists, it deals with people who are OVER a certain age as opposed to UNDER.

Comparing "no kids allowed" to "no blacks, gays, transsexuals, Jews allowed" is very, very silly and not at all relevant.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options
    What are the odds that two MFPers who previously didn't know each other would end up on the same flight and have this experience and then end up in this thread where the discussion of it would be so relevant?!?

Amazing!

(PS: HB, L!)

I know right. Mind blown.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Yes, because your screaming child you can't shut up is more important than every single other living soul on the plane. The brat ripped out my earring while I was trying to sleep. Pretty sure I had a right to be pissed.... And if the customer service line after the flight was any indication... More than 25 other people felt the same way. Who cares you make everyone else miserable, the world revolves around you.

That is your assertion, not mine... and while in your particular instance that you described, I can see why you would be pissed, I wouldn't want someone elses child ripping my earrings out either and I would be pissed too... However, there are a mirade of reasons that a baby is on an airplane and not one of them are "so I can piss off th 250 people crammed in a glorified sardine can". I would hate to be the type of person that believes this either.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Whoa...back the hostility train up a bit. Yes, you had every right to be upset...being trapped on a plane with a screaming kid (especially one who assaulted you) sucks, I will give you that. And, the parent in question sounds like a twit & I'm sorry you had to deal with it. But it's not like the parent can leave the room...what are they supposed to do? Use of duct tape & various restraints would garner just as much hatred from other passengers. Are people with babies/toddlers who happen to live far away from family supposed to wait until their kids are fully grown to travel to see them?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

Whoa...back the hostility train up a bit. Yes, you had every right to be upset...being trapped on a plane with a screaming kid (especially one who assaulted you) sucks, I will give you that. And, the parent in question sounds like a twit & I'm sorry you had to deal with it. But it's not like the parent can leave the room...what are they supposed to do? Use of duct tape & various restraints would garner just as much hatred from other passengers. Are people with babies/toddlers who happen to live far away from family supposed to wait until their kids are fully grown to travel to see them?

Chloroform I hear works wonders.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i agree that the owner handled it poorly but i have a strong opinion of small children and upscale places.

one story especially comes to mind. i was at a nice restaurant with my family for dinner and the table next to us had a child that screamed, LOUDLY for the whole hour or so we were there. it was incredibly frustrating because the parents did nothing.

the waitress we had went up to them and said "if you would like some privacy for your child, we can move you to a more secluded VIP room free of charge"
    the lady of the child flipped out and told the waitress to get the manager
    the mother said something like "i'm insulted that you would insinuate that our child is a bother and that we would need a private room"

so what happened? the family got their dinner free of charge and the waitress got yelled at by the woman. and we had to deal with mind numbing screaming for an hour.
    i was so angry.

autistic child or not, try to take them to more suitable places for children. because that one experience ruined my night. and i can understand how a screaming child would ruin a day at the spa too.

it goes both ways. there are horrible business owners in this world, but horrible customers as well.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Trust me, if it were legal (and not lethal) parents would use it... there is a reason baby Dimetapp and baby benedryl no longer exists for kids under the age of 5 (trust me, my husband looked because he didn't want to have the screaming kid)... because of parents using to keep their kids from screaming. I agree, the mom in your experience was a twit... I sure as hell wouldn't have let my child near someones earrings and I would have kept them as far away out of the anothers personal space as I could... but screaming, sometimes there just isn't much you can do but to let the kid wear themselves out... It sucks, I get it... I sucks for you and it sucks for me as the mom, to have to try and calm the kiddo down... but outside of never leaving the house ever, we are going to have to expose our kids to such experiences as much as it sucks for those that would rather never see a child on the face of the planet... unless they were "perfect" or a robot... otherwise, they will never know how to deal with such situations. After our first flight (and finishing her antibiotics) I learned how to keep her calm and asleep so the return flight was much better than the first flight... Not a peep until we started to land and by then she was already acclimated to the surrounding environment.
  • liliawodna
    liliawodna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You know what a lot of people seem to need?

4g3cs6.jpg
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    WOW the world would be way better if we all tried to get along, and everybody relized kids will be kids and adults should know better then have a tantrum because a child cries. My kids are grown and never has a child crying, tantrum or any other action has ever ruined my day of what ever i am doing. The only time someone can ruin your day is if you allow them to.

I would much rather put up with a child worst tantrum then to see a adult act like a child having a tantrum
    children learn that it is not right and an adult should already know

Come on Adults lets be adults and those of you who think it should be your way grow up
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    You know what a lot of people seem to need?

4g3cs6.jpg

liliawodna
    I completely agree with you
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Or blacks, gays, transsexuals, Jews ... Once you start that list of exclusions, it's all downhill from there.

And there we go folks, taking it to the extreme with comparisions that really don't compare.

Well, no. Just like transsexuals or gays aren't their own ethnic group. They all are, however sections of society and discrimination against them is distatseful to say the least.

I have a child - sometimes they act out, even the best-behaved child in the world has the occasional meltdown, its what children do.

The planet is full of sounds - the rooster crows in the morning, dogs bark, birds sing, aint nothing we can to to change that, I suggest if you don't like it you become a hermit or something.

Having said all that - I have never been to a spa, upscale or otherwise, all seems a bit wankerish to me.

(edited to change cockerel to rooster because MFP is somewhat overzealous on perceived expletives).

Kids aren't a protected group. While age discrimination exists, it deals with people who are OVER a certain age as opposed to UNDER.

Comparing "no kids allowed" to "no blacks, gays, transsexuals, Jews allowed" is very, very silly and not at all relevant.

What on earth is a "protected group"?

All of the above things are dividing society based on arbitary characteristics that have nothing to do with the person. This thread clearly proves that discrimination against children exists, so don't tell me ageism is only relevant with respect to the elderly.

I'm not the most overzealous of parents and it still surprises me that people can discriminate against a whole section of society based on their age whilst at the same time proporting to be uber-liberal.

Children cry and children will exist as long as the human race does so you might as well get over it.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    WOW the world would be way better if we all tried to get along, and everybody relized kids will be kids and adults should know better then have a tantrum because a child cries. My kids are grown and never has a child crying, tantrum or any other action has ever ruined my day of what ever i am doing. The only time someone can ruin your day is if you allow them to.

I would much rather put up with a child worst tantrum then to see a adult act like a child having a tantrum
    children learn that it is not right and an adult should already know

Come on Adults lets be adults and those of you who think it should be your way grow up

But why should other people out enjoying their day have to put up with someone else's sex trophy acting like a wild animal?
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

What on earth is a "protected group"?

All of the above things are dividing society based on arbitary characteristics that have nothing to do with the person. This thread clearly proves that discrimination against children exists, so don't tell me ageism is only relevant with respect to the elderly.

I'm not the most overzealous of parents and it still surprises me that people can discriminate against a whole section of society based on their age whilst at the same time proporting to be uber-liberal.

Children cry and children will exist as long as the human race does so you might as well get over it.

It's actually a protected class, you should have learned about these in middle school at the latest.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

Trust me, if it were legal (and not lethal) parents would use it... there is a reason baby Dimetapp and baby benedryl no longer exists for kids under the age of 5 (trust me, my husband looked because he didn't want to have the screaming kid)... because of parents using to keep their kids from screaming. I agree, the mom in your experience was a twit... I sure as hell wouldn't have let my child near someones earrings and I would have kept them as far away out of the anothers personal space as I could... but screaming, sometimes there just isn't much you can do but to let the kid wear themselves out... It sucks, I get it... I sucks for you and it sucks for me as the mom, to have to try and calm the kiddo down... but outside of never leaving the house ever, we are going to have to expose our kids to such experiences as much as it sucks for those that would rather never see a child on the face of the planet... unless they were "perfect" or a robot... otherwise, they will never know how to deal with such situations. After our first flight (and finishing her antibiotics) I learned how to keep her calm and asleep so the return flight was much better than the first flight... Not a peep until we started to land and by then she was already acclimated to the surrounding environment.

Yeah I get that and I have flown enough I have experienced it all. I have seen parents get kicked off, or I have wound up playing with a kid next to me on a flight. I don't blame the kids as much as the parents. There are those parents out there who make no effort to control their kids. And then you also have the ones who go the extra mile to try and make things go smoothly and everything between.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Wow. About the brat on the plane making everyone miserable and yanking out somebody's earring...if that had been MY ear, I would have backhanded the kid purely as an unintended reflex.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This thread clearly proves that discrimination against children exists, so don't tell me ageism is only relevant with respect to the elderly.

I'm telling you that ageism is only relevant with respect to the elderly.

There is some measure of protection for the youth of America, although most of it (see e.g. the Housing Act) is really directed towards FAMILIES with children, but none of it is relevant here. So again, comparing any so-called discrimination against kids to discrimination against "blacks, gays, transsexuals, Jews" is very, very silly.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It's actually a protected class, you should have learned about these in middle school at the latest.

If you're referring to Protected Groups and Protected Classes (which children do not fall under), those are laws in the United States. The other poster here who you are ridiculing is in England. Be careful making assumptions on the curriculum of all middle schools, especially when you're going to belittle someone for their lack of incorrect data.