Spa owner yells at Mom of Autistic child-Facebook Firestorm

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Having a child with autism and probably another one yet to be diagnosed. I have come to the conclusion that Autism seems to be the unacceptable disability. Mainly because the children look normal and are usually quite attractive looking children and also be cause the disorder is a social disorder and just don't get social cues and when in meltdown mode they cannot hear what is being said to them and are unable to calm down. They can go from calm to full on in seconds. So to tell a mum they need to discipline their child in this situation when the child is just not able to be reasoned with and certainly yelling at them just makes the situation worse and it takes longer for the mother to help the child calm.

In this situation though autistic or not the behaviour of the owner was not acceptable. I have to admit though being judgemental about parents and kid's having tantrums before I had a child with autism, I know better now. The things is mums with kid's with autism do try to teach their kid's with autism social etiquette. A friend of mine took her son to her friends house, her DS's first words to her friend was "Your house stinks". She later told him that it was not good manners to say that someone's house stank. The next time they went over her son said " Your house really smells" being so literal he thought he was doing the right thing as he had not used the word stank.

Being with other mum's with kid's with autism they just get so fed up with having to explain their child's behaviour they just don't any more apart from wearing a T-shirt saying I have autism but this often just sets up kid's for bullying. We are trying to get the word out about autism but some people really can't be bothered listening.
  • SPARTANPOWER
    Options
    not cool
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Michelle Mott, owner of M-Spa Salon & Day Spa, released a statement Thursday saying her "actions were not intended to create any hardship or embarrassment for little Grayson and his parents.

“To say that the last few days at M-Spa have been challenging is an understatement. We are all aware of the significant attention given to a Facebook posting regarding a recent haircut for one of our spa’s youngest customers. Social media has been used to create an impression of me and this event in ways which do not fairly reflect who I am and which seek to silence differing viewpoints about what occurred. While this is very unfortunate, I am not going to review those differences here.

“Rather, I want to say that my actions were not intended to create any hardship or embarrassment for little Grayson or his parents. And while I believed that Grayson’s parents understood that, when Mrs. Bays stayed for her highlight and cut at our spa right after Grayson had left with his father, I want to reassure the Bays family of this point. I apologize to Grayson and the Bays for any embarrassment or hardship that they have experienced by my actions.

“We look forward to better days ahead and we will continue to strive to be the best spa in southwest Michigan. To those who have voiced displeasure with me or with my spa over this incident, I will work hard to regain your faith in our services. To those who have indicated that my business should be boycotted, I would ask only that you consider the impact of such a boycott upon the many families who derive some portion or all of their livelihood from our spa. To those who have withheld judgment or have voiced support over the last few days, including my treasured customers and employees, I extend my heartfelt appreciation.”

So the mom stayed and got her own hair done after she got yelled at and ran out of the salon crying? Really?
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the situation, react with class.
    - H. Jackson Brown, Jr. -
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Any revelations on this story? I kept expecting some kind of story-changing facts to be revealed as this played out in the media.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Any revelations on this story? I kept expecting some kind of story-changing facts to be revealed as this played out in the media.
    Pretty rare that they ever do that. My favorite was the case of the peanut-allergic girl who died from a kiss by her boyfriend, who had eaten peanut butter earlier. The follow-up story (that she actually died of an asthma attack after smoking pot) was barely a blip on the radar. Probably same here.
  • m0jk
    m0jk Posts: 133
    Options
    upscale spa, her business, her rules. dont bring kids...

I am wondering what kind of spa it was... at the spas I go to where I spend over $100 it's supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere and I don't know why anyone would bring kids. I would be mad if I spent $100 to have someone bring their kid, autistic or not, just so I can hear crying during my manicure.

Although if it is a place that offers kids haircuts, then crying kids could be expected.

Also don't see what being autistic has to do with it. Sounds like she didn't know he was autistic before she yelled, so she wasn't yelling at him for being autistic, and children without autism cry all the time during haircuts anyway.

very good points.. and everyone here is being way too anally PC about a point that didnt matter. The owner didnt say get that special kid outta here. the owner was mad the kid was being too loud and the parent failed to control it.

plain and simple. yet you "sick" people wanna make a mountain out of a mole hill.

parent should take the kid to super cuts, not a upscale spa.

so your saying they cant go where ever they want because theyre a lower class or something? all i can say is your a 'word a cant write on here' and its not nice at all :mad:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

I'm interested too.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that so many people can demonize the owner yet they weren't actually there so they don't exactly what happened... just like maybe the owner didn't know the kid was autistic? Think about that. People do exaggerate and sometimes the same scene just looks different from other people's perspective.