Spa owner yells at Mom of Autistic child-Facebook Firestorm

Options

Replies

• vdobbs28
    vdobbs28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    upscale spa, her business, her rules. dont bring kids...

this just shows how ignorant some people can be....like you would say that?!?!?!?
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I am wondering what kind of spa it was... at the spas I go to where I spend over $100 it's supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere and I don't know why anyone would bring kids. I would be mad if I spent $100 to have someone bring their kid, autistic or not, just so I can hear crying during my manicure.

Although if it is a place that offers kids haircuts, then crying kids could be expected.

Also don't see what being autistic has to do with it. Sounds like she didn't know he was autistic before she yelled, so she wasn't yelling at him for being autistic, and children without autism cry all the time during haircuts anyway.

very good points.. and everyone here is being way too anally PC about a point that didnt matter. The owner didnt say get that special kid outta here. the owner was mad the kid was being too loud and the parent failed to control it.

plain and simple. yet you "sick" people wanna make a mountain out of a mole hill.

parent should take the kid to super cuts, not a upscale spa.

Also, if you check out their website you can see that this is clearly an upscale establishment that is NOT meant to accommodate children.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

I am wondering what kind of spa it was... at the spas I go to where I spend over $100 it's supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere and I don't know why anyone would bring kids. I would be mad if I spent $100 to have someone bring their kid, autistic or not, just so I can hear crying during my manicure.

Although if it is a place that offers kids haircuts, then crying kids could be expected.

Also don't see what being autistic has to do with it. Sounds like she didn't know he was autistic before she yelled, so she wasn't yelling at him for being autistic, and children without autism cry all the time during haircuts anyway.

very good points.. and everyone here is being way too anally PC about a point that didnt matter. The owner didnt say get that special kid outta here. the owner was mad the kid was being too loud and the parent failed to control it.

plain and simple. yet you "sick" people wanna make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Is she choses to take her child there and pay the money then she has every right to! :mad: :explode: It's not like he was going to be there for three hours!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Behind a keyboard people get furious from far away. This doesn't impact any of us as much as we hate to admit it. Yes it is sad, but actively working on intolerance close to home would be far more effective.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

1. There are no rules that children are not allowed

2. The woman had been a client there for 2years and her son getting his hair cut there for the past year - the owner knew he was autistic

3. The status was written by a bystander who said he wasn't even being that loud

4. This owner has had made a reputation for herself over the past 5 years due to how poorly she treats clients. Her employees are what keeps her in business

5. A friend of mine has worked there for 5years - she resigned today because that incident was the final straw
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Is she choses to take her child there and pay the money then she has every right to! :mad: :explode: It's not like he was going to be there for three hours!

You want to tell that to the people there getting massages who are supposed to be enjoying peace & quiet for their $75/hour? As someone who frequents spas for massages I can tell you that I would have asked for a substantial discount had I heard a child screaming during my massage session.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone will agree that what the owner did was in very poor taste.

But - how many of us were there that day and witnessed what happened? For all we know, the owner might have been having a terrible day for whatever reason and in poor taste, took it out on the mother of the child. Or maybe she got some horrible news, say a loved one diagnosed with cancer or some such thing. Does that make her actions excusable? No...but it might put a different spin on how the situation is viewed. Again, my point being, we don't know the whole story. The online mob mentality can be a dangerous thing indeed.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i thought the spa was a place to send mom and dad to get away from screaming kids....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    We're hearing one side of the story.

Apparently, the owner didn't know the boy was autistic till after the tongue lashing. I hear people speak of children while waiting in line for whatever, about how bad other people's children behave without inquiring if the child is autistic or not.

Just in defense of the owner, maybe she was having a bad day and it set her off. Somehow that doesn't happen to good people?

I've handled things bad on occasion due to being miffed at something else. Nothing personal against the person it was directed toward, it was just anger that I vented wrong.

If we as a society are just going to accept that one side of the story is completely right without objectively listening to the other side, then we're back to witch hunts again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vdobbs28
    Options
    A lot of people on here act like autistic children/people don't deserve to go where other people go...that is SOOO wrong!! If the mother is paying the money, and she has been a client there and they know how the child is, there should've been no issue!! I hope that woman's business sinks!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Why did the hairstylist accept the appointment, then? There are ways of handling these situations without making your paying customers uncomfortable.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The child was not screaming...he had been going there for his haircuts for a year.

The status said "the music was louder than the child crying"

Think the biggest point though, is how the owner acted
    Talking to the mom calmly or arranging to have his hair cut elsewhere in the salon would've been appropriate
    Yelling in front of the entire salon is not
  • KatLifter
    Options
    A lot of people on here act like autistic children/people don't deserve to go where other people go...that is SOOO wrong!! If the mother is paying the money, and she has been a client there and they know how the child is, there should've been no issue!! I hope that woman's business sinks!!

We know this because a random person on the internet told us? Let's hear some reliable facts before we start the Witch Hunts, as NinerBuff said. This post is full of righteous Indignation.
  • vdobbs28
    Options

We know this because a random person on the internet told us? Let's hear some reliable facts before we start the Witch Hunts, as NinerBuff said. This post is full of righteous Indignation.

It doesn't matter, autistic people have just as much of a right as anybody else!!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Horrible. That is so terrible :(
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This makes me so sad. One of my boy's first haircut's was similar to this. He is 9 now and we still talk about how much we cried.

My son is one of the sweetest boys ever but he has anxiety and several autistic behaviors. It was so traumatic that I began to cut his hair at home. He just now is able to get regular salon haircuts.

I cannot imagine if someone had yelled at us also. My heart goes out to this Mom and every Mom who has hd to endure rude looks, stares, or comments from uncaring people.

Recently something like this happened at one of my son's sporting events. The Coach yelled at a little boy who was trying out and he began to cry. The Mom ran out crying and my husband and I followed and tried to comfort the parents. The Dad said what I already had observed from watching his son because he reminded me of my son. He said "he is autistic". We both felt their pain and tried to comfort them. I did not even know their names but felt a kinship from the shared pain.

I guess what I am saying is that it is sad when things happen like this but we must stand together for our children whether they are presenting typical age appropriate behavior or have special needs.

We out number the rest of them!
    Proud Mom of 4!
  • KatLifter
    Options

It doesn't matter, autistic people have just as much of a right as anybody else!!

More rights than the other people at the spa?
    Believe me, I'm all for equal rights and have worked with autistic kids, but the onus is on the caretaker to make sure that they take the child to appropriate places where their behavior won't cause as much of a disturbance.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If you KNOW your child is autistic and special needs then perhaps the mother should have sought out a more kid friendly place, like Supercuts.

As the mother of a son with autism, I can explain this to you. My son gets overstimulated and that causes his meltdowns. A "kid friendly" place like Supercuts is far too stimulating for him. A spa where there is less going on, less children running around or making noises is a better place for him.

In reading the comments here, the owner knew the client and her son. She knew he had austism. The way she treated them is horrible.